AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

View Poll Results: Kanon - 2006 - Episode 2 Rating
Perfect 10 34 28.81%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 50 42.37%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 20 16.95%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 7.63%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.69%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.85%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 1.69%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-10-17, 06:24   Link #201
Skane
Anime Snark

Chances are high I will turn into a dribbling idiot when they get to the meat of Mai's story.
Old 2006-10-17, 09:19   Link #202
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
For the Yuuichi vs Kyon debate, I'm still having a hard time figuring in Sugita as Yuuichi. Not really because he sounds like Kyon (which I could care less about), but really because Kisaichi came first. Not that Sugita is doing a bad job, mind you, but the Yuuichi that I am accustomed to is less saracastic-mean (ie. Kyon) and more sarcastic-whiny (ie. Yuuichi 2k2). And so can't help but feel that this Yuuichi feels a whole lot more Kyon than it feels Yuuichi to me.

I mean, let's say if Goto Yuko were to replace Kouda as Nayuki, I'm sure she'd do a fine job as her. Still, no matter how good of a job she does, it wouldn't feel like Nayuki at all to me (if I had to guess, Goto's acting of Nayuki would be like her Hiori in Mizuiro).

Well, Yuichi 2k2 is less believable to me as a guy that girls would fall for. To me, he was an irritating lazy whiner. Kyon seemed tired with change and only wanted normalcy. Again, hard to believe that anyone would hook up with him too. Yuichi 2k6 is sarcastic, slightly melodramatic (given the situaltion it's understandable) but vulnerable. He doesn't want to get hurt again but that cold exterior is just melting and those memories are returning. You can see it in his facial expressions in ep. 2. To me, it's very easy to distinguish Yuichi and Kyon if you can get around that voice. Plus, their backgrounds are so dissimilar that no one would really say that these 2 are similar. You really wouldn't want to wish Yuichi's past on anyone.

Getting use to a new seiyuu can be hard I agree, but you really need to do this to get the full experience of Kanon again imo.

Back to Mai: Can't wait to see Mai's bunny ears. They were so awesome in those fighting game clips.
Old 2006-10-17, 09:35   Link #203
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
For the Yuuichi vs Kyon debate, I'm still having a hard time figuring in Sugita as Yuuichi. Not really because he sounds like Kyon (which I could care less about), but really because Kisaichi came first. Not that Sugita is doing a bad job, mind you, but the Yuuichi that I am accustomed to is less saracastic-mean (ie. Kyon) and more sarcastic-whiny (ie. Yuuichi 2k2). And so can't help but feel that this Yuuichi feels a whole lot more Kyon than it feels Yuuichi to me.

I mean, let's say if Goto Yuko were to replace Kouda as Nayuki, I'm sure she'd do a fine job as her. Still, no matter how good of a job she does, it wouldn't feel like Nayuki at all to me (if I had to guess, Goto's acting of Nayuki would be like her Hiori in Mizuiro).
Already said it in another thread before but I'll repeat it again - 2k2 Yuuichi is not "real" Yuuichi but 2k6 Yuuichi is the "real" Yuuichi. Play the game and you'll understand that 2k2 Yuuichi and 2k6 Yuuichi are different "characters" and that the choice of changing seiyuu is sound and logical.
Old 2006-10-17, 11:17   Link #204
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Chances are high I will turn into a dribbling idiot when they get to the meat of Mai's story.
Aye.. Mai was my favorite part of the story and the first glint that this story wasn't necessarily based in the mundane part of Realityville.

And yes... the Yuuichi being portrayed here is MUCH closer to the Yuuichi of the Original Source Material (the game).

It is much more accurate to say Kyon resembles Yuuichi in some ways than vice versa especially since the character of Yuuichi was defined over five years ago. The characters in Suzumiya intentionally took classic anime archetypes and subverted them for the purposes of the story --- all, including Kyon, *appear* to be stock characters until you started to glimpse their underlying motivations.
Old 2006-10-17, 11:39   Link #205
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelastguardian View Post
Spoiler:
im already feeling it "OUCH"
but it was just a burning question after reading wht everyone else was saying about the boxcutter...dnt have the game and want to watch the original...but my brain would hate me if i did

hmm mai is the quiet girl right? bleh they always have complex story/backgrounds

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2006-10-17, 12:57   Link #206
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
hmm mai is the quiet girl right? bleh they always have complex story/backgrounds
You gotta have at least one quiet one on the group no?
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Old 2006-10-17, 13:12   Link #207
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

I don't know. I think people would like to have a mate like Kyon... well maybe not so much as a romantic interest. Although honestly, we're dwelling too much into the 'Kyuichi' question. There are some parallels to be made, but it is not at the center of the snowstorm.

Mai... her story alongside Sayuri's this time should get some justice done to it. I hate to say this but Toei rushed through her story too quickly. I want to want and see how it goes...

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2006-10-17, 14:30   Link #208
PhantomX
Tsuruya's Lover

Send a message via AIM to PhantomX Send a message via MSN to PhantomX
Spoiler:

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2006-10-18 at 02:08. Reason: use spoiler tags!
Old 2006-10-17, 15:00   Link #209
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb
Exclamation Um

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Spoiler:
From my watching of Kanon 2002 over a year ago I thought her medical
problem surrounded a:

Spoiler:

But I can't be sure now that it has been over a year.
Old 2006-10-17, 15:36   Link #210
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb
I actually like Sugita as Yuuchi. There's several reasons why: in the
2002 version he appeared rather full of himself but he didn't really
have a distinctive personality to match the ego. He seemed a bit
overly proud.

In 2006, you've got a guy back in a town he's not sure he wants to
be in, he keeps encountering these girls who seems to have their
finger on the pulse of everything, he gets lost in school, can't deal
with weird alarm clocks and the food he's eating and he's not afraid
to pronounce that he's not super pleased about things. But he's at
least being somewhat pleasant. But he does it in a clever way.

Anyway. This episode. Goodness - it's like watching a great
story but from a different perspective. Cool to see Shiori again,
we'll see what happens next. Hope she sticks around.

I also like the subtle change they've made in Ayu and it will
be need to see how she evolves coming up.
Old 2006-10-17, 16:25   Link #211
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan View Post
I don't know. I think people would like to have a mate like Kyon... well maybe not so much as a romantic interest. Although honestly, we're dwelling too much into the 'Kyuichi' question. There are some parallels to be made, but it is not at the center of the snowstorm.

Mai... her story alongside Sayuri's this time should get some justice done to it. I hate to say this but Toei rushed through her story too quickly. I want to want and see how it goes...
Totally agree i really want to see more Mai and Sayuris story played out in depth.
Old 2006-10-17, 16:36   Link #212
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
(see, for example, the ANN Trivia Page - someone should fact-check)
What I'd really like to know about that page is who wrote down Pachelbel's Canon in D as "ambient music". Jeez, show some respect.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Old 2006-10-17, 16:42   Link #213
MidnighT-WolF

Well, i think everything has been said, i LOVE this serie, even if i haven't played the game or saw the Toei's version! I loved Air and i got totally hooked to Kanon in the first episode!

I loved the second episode too and i'm totally looking forward for episode 03!
Old 2006-10-17, 16:47   Link #214
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Oh gods... I laughed so much during this episode it hurt. The comedy timing is great even when I know exactly what is about to happen.

Sugito is just supreme as Yuuichi's voice.... the other male VAs had better step up their skillset or Sugito will be grabbing everything, the kitchen sink, and even roles he's a terrible choice for.
Old 2006-10-17, 17:27   Link #215
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

You know, I don't usually go for this kind of thing, but I'm officially addicted to Kanon; Uguu-tan in particular ("I'm left-handed!"). The orange-haired girl (forgot her name ) is fun, too.
The comedy is your typical anime stuff for the most part, but without the obnoxious overreactions. If something's truly funny, you don't have to point at it and scream for us to laugh.
Going back over the first episode several times, I'm seeing a lot of foreshadowing that I didn't even realize was foreshadowing at first. Genius how they pulled that off.
And yes: Sugito > All
Old 2006-10-17, 20:55   Link #216
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
^ i think we all love kanon cause we can relate it to the comedy shown in AIR (for those whove watched it and the original kanon? (i wont know cause i havent seen)
but yea i definatly love the comedy and can immediatly connect it with AIR ^_^
the scene in my avie is definatly the highlight for me in this ep...didnt expected it one bit oh and i found ayu screaming how much it hurts really cute! too bad its hard to turn that into an avie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyz View Post
You gotta have at least one quiet one on the group no?
aye and i love every one of them

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2006-10-17, 21:31   Link #217
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

well... I love Kanon because its Kanon... AIR came much later.
A good deal of the humor was in the original implementations as well, though there's been some enhancement.
AIR built on the sort of thing that made Kanon popular, but I'm not complaining at the little touches KyoAni is carefullly applying.

Its kind of neat watching KyoAni build on their past experience though .... I'm curious to see what kind of twisted ride leads them to Lucky Star next season <lol>.
Old 2006-10-17, 22:33   Link #218
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by killz View Post
^ i think we all love kanon cause we can relate it to the comedy shown in AIR (for those whove watched it and the original kanon? (i wont know cause i havent seen)
but yea i definatly love the comedy and can immediatly connect it with AIR ^_^
the scene in my avie is definatly the highlight for me in this ep...didnt expected it one bit oh and i found ayu screaming how much it hurts really cute! too bad its hard to turn that into an avie
Hmm, let me rephrase what I said: "Normally I wouldn't touch a bishoujo series with a five-foot pole and latex gloves." Unless it's Akamatsu.
That said, I never watched AIR, Shuffle!, Strawberry Panic, or anything else that I coud "relate" to Kanon. I made an exception for Kanon because I'd heard that it was the one that spawned all the imitations and defined the genre. And KyoAni's behind it. I just like it for what it is.
And yeah, Yuuichi playing matador and Ayu slamming into the tree was great. I lol'd much.

If it manages to keep this up, FPB will be pleased.
Old 2006-10-17, 22:56   Link #219
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
Hmm, let me rephrase what I said: "Normally I wouldn't touch a bishoujo series with a five-foot pole and latex gloves." Unless it's Akamatsu.

If you're into Kanon looking for slapstick comedy, I suggest you stop watching it.
Old 2006-10-18, 01:19   Link #220
KenOhki'sRage
Primula hates you

^agreed.

I hope it's not a spoiler to say that Kanon is the second highest on my list of saddest anime of all time (just below Grave of the Fireflies and just above Full Moon wo Sagashite). So if you're hoping for a comedy you may be in for a surprise. I won't say you'll be disappointed though because this may go on my list as my #1 favorite anime of all time. The 2002 Kanon is VERY high on my favorites list.
Closed Thread