AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-08-07, 06:03   Link #1
Zdrok

whats the actual chance of creating a manga

as above, what is the chance. if you think about it you only really need two people to create the actual manga at most. for drawing and story. then you need all the ... publishing and editing and whatever.
but for someone who lives in the united states, and manga is constantly being pumped out by large japanese companies or w/e, what is the serious chance that creating a manga is possible for a normal person living in the U.S.
Old 2006-08-07, 06:37   Link #2
Sunabouzu

well i don't know much about the situation in the US but here is mi opinion...
(first of all, i think the chance is as big as to find a yuri/yoai anime with an awesome story^_^)
------------
u need luck my friend...you have to send examples to som publisher and if u are lucky they like it or thinks that it makes money

or u need money to print some yourself and search for stores there they would sell your stuff and then if u are lucky (luck once again^^) they see that it makes money and help you....

Old 2006-08-07, 09:52   Link #3
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zdrok
as above, what is the chance. if you think about it you only really need two people to create the actual manga at most. for drawing and story. then you need all the ... publishing and editing and whatever.
but for someone who lives in the united states, and manga is constantly being pumped out by large japanese companies or w/e, what is the serious chance that creating a manga is possible for a normal person living in the U.S.
Since you are not Japanese, plus not in Japan, the best you can do is produce "manga inspired comics"

You do not need two people nor do you need a publisher. There are a number of comic artists who produce, market, sell, the entire comic themselves.

Here are a couple of American examples.
Dave Sims - Cerebus (Wiki)
Mark Oakley - Thieves & Kings (website)

Or you can try publishers such as TokyoPop to publish "American manga" (or whatever they are calling it nowadays). If you want to try and break into the actual Japanese manga workplace, you have two chances, slim and none.

And since this isn't directly releated to anime, moving the thread to the Manga forum.
Old 2006-08-07, 12:14   Link #4
Supergrunch
Tegenaria gigantea

Send a message via MSN to Supergrunch
There are a couple of books out in the uk with short "manga" stories by British people, that won various competitions.
Old 2006-08-07, 12:31   Link #5
drgntig
i'm psychic.god says hi.

it depends.

you should know that it always depends.

you see if its a shojo and has a really good storyline then in your in luck. because it would probly get published

however if its a shonen, even it has a good story. it probly won't make it because shonenis really repetitive and theres alot of it.

sorry but this is what i think.i didn't mean to shoot down your idea if i did.
Old 2007-01-16, 22:54   Link #6
shadow dragon spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
Since you are not Japanese, plus not in Japan, the best you can do is produce "manga inspired comics"

You do not need two people nor do you need a publisher. There are a number of comic artists who produce, market, sell, the entire comic themselves.

Here are a couple of American examples.
Dave Sims - Cerebus (Wiki)
Mark Oakley - Thieves & Kings (website)

Or you can try publishers such as TokyoPop to publish "American manga" (or whatever they are calling it nowadays). If you want to try and break into the actual Japanese manga workplace, you have two chances, slim and none.

And since this isn't directly releated to anime, moving the thread to the Manga forum.
I definetily agree with you, but belive that you can create an amerucan manga you just need a japanese publisher (vai mail.) I think tokyopop really isn't that seriuous most of the time and i think manga should be seriuous with a strong plotline.
Old 2007-01-17, 01:38   Link #7
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Um... you don't need a "japanese publisher" to produce an "american manga" (by which you probably mean an american-based 'manga-style' comic).... (unless you're writing it in Japanese and have really good connections in the japanese publishing industry for japan).

You might take a look at a "manga" doujinshi that is a just a little popular called Megatokyo (at Megatokyo.com). It started out as a web comic and has turned into a full time job, store, published volumes (published by the likes of Dark Horse Comics for example), etc. Fred Gallagher is the creator. It gives you some idea of what it takes and the dedication involved. I'll say one thing though... spelling and grammar are extremely important for any sort of publishing work, no matter what language the story is executed in.

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-01-17 at 02:37.
Old 2007-01-17, 02:07   Link #8
blahdida

I hope those non-japanese manga artist at least take some authentic lessons "in japan" so they dont produce crappy mangas (stares at those ones with stereotype manga based "gigantic eyes" manga with almost triangular heads.)

Last edited by blahdida; 2008-07-20 at 16:15.
Old 2007-01-17, 12:02   Link #9
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Watch Comic Party...except for the beautiful girls, it's pretty close on how the Mangaka process works.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Old 2007-01-17, 13:13   Link #10
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
What if you're fluent in Japanese and find your way over to Japan? Would they accept you as a manga artist if you have talent? What if you could actually write your manga in Japanese?
Old 2007-01-17, 14:00   Link #11
blahdida

from what i know of, no, usually manga artist would not hire/ teach any non artist to help them. Since usually for beginners there are schools for manga drawing also in universities they have manga(dojinshi = =lll) clubs that have enjoyment in doing well... dojinshis. Also there are schools for each and different part in a manga drawing such as character creation, plot making, scenery creation...etc. But from what ive heard manga artist have a hard time due to just catching up to the deadline
Old 2007-01-18, 09:54   Link #12
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
No, I mean, what if you want to do it on your own, not as an assistant but as an independent thing?
Old 2007-01-18, 16:30   Link #13
chison
GSNMaSter
*Artist

just do it as a challeging first time(don't except a high end finish the first time^^)

BLEACH had a crapped one first...it just evo the second times
Old 2007-01-18, 17:26   Link #14
blahdida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
No, I mean, what if you want to do it on your own, not as an assistant but as an independent thing?
You have to first make a project then send it to manga magazine companies (shonen jump...etc) and only if they accept your project(really hard) then they boot the lowest rating manga and put you in ^^, then they give you deadlines once a week or month = =

Last edited by blahdida; 2008-07-18 at 13:17.
Old 2007-01-19, 06:39   Link #15
Sole

I don't know about manga publishing myself.

But imo the chance of you creating a manga is pretty high
There're independent artist who draw their own web manga or comics, and publishes them on the web, so I think having someone to publish it for you is the hard part, but you should have no problem making your own if you have the time.

As in working in japan, I think the chance is lower, you'll need to have something to offer them that their other mangaka does not have.
Closed Thread