AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2011-05-13, 10:52   Link #821
tsunade666

on the latest translation

Quote:
"From the echo and speed of the wind, the place of recording was an expansive field--a piece of ground at a high altitude. There are forests close by. Coniferous forests. The sound of the leaves rustling...this is, Larix Siberica."
Is this a tree? if it's a tree isn't it Larix sibirica
Old 2011-05-13, 10:53   Link #822
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Even guys get along fine with him....actually, he's not really unfriendly when you think about it.
Old 2011-05-13, 11:04   Link #823
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroishinigami View Post
lol, slipping chat in Japanese while writing topic-related English to camouflage it .

Back to the topic though, finally finished reading the novel up to the latest volume. I wonder why, it's still a harem story, but some harem story like HnA is good while other harem story can be really unbearable XD.
actually, there are differences . question to ask is:
Is this a <theme name> story with a harem?
Is this a harem story with a <theme name>?

HnA belongs to the first type, and it has a main heroine. The harem acts to supplement. It's a feature of the story, but not the story itself. Harem antics never override main plot, and harem doesn't steal the show, and don't outshine the male (or female in the case of reverse harems) lead in screentime, importance, focus, etc. etc.. These are the harem stories I will read, good plot + main heroine presence (or 2 main heroine presence) and good character fleshing. And with all those bloodline and descendent stuff, and the grandiose powers, it's going towards fantasy borders, and I'm a sucker for fantasies. Gahahahahahaahaa!!

@CE P.S: now they auto-ship Oreimo! just got volume 8 today! I love SG's Kino!
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-13, 11:12   Link #824
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

...I should get a job. But then, I'd have even less time to read/play the mountain of things that I have.

Ugwahh...
Icy.Tear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-13, 11:24   Link #825
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
lol, slipping chat in Japanese while writing topic-related English to camouflage it .

Back to the topic though, finally finished reading the novel up to the latest volume. I wonder why, it's still a harem story, but some harem story like HnA is good while other harem story can be really unbearable XD.
Ehh? Which particularly unbearable harem story do you have in mind ?

But like what larethian said, it all depends on how the story is handled; it's fine to have harem elements so long as it doesn't screw with the main plot... When people care more about which girl is better rather than what's going on now... You know you got a serious problem.

Mah~ female characters tend to overshadow the male characters easily anyway in a harem story, so the protagonist just have to work harder to be popular
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-13, 11:32   Link #826
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
actually, there are differences . question to ask is:
Is this a <theme name> story with a harem?
Is this a harem story with a <theme name>?

HnA belongs to the first type, and it has a main heroine. The harem acts to supplement. It's a feature of the story, but not the story itself. Harem antics never override main plot, and harem doesn't steal the show, and don't outshine the male (or female in the case of reverse harems) lead in screentime, importance, focus, etc. etc.. These are the harem stories I will read, good plot + main heroine presence (or 2 main heroine presence) and good character fleshing. And with all those bloodline and descendent stuff, and the grandiose powers, it's going towards fantasy borders, and I'm a sucker for fantasies. Gahahahahahaahaa!!

@CE P.S: now they auto-ship Oreimo! just got volume 8 today! I love SG's Kino!
I got Hidan no Aria vol 9, Puella Magi Oriko Magica 1 and Itsuten 5-7 today....

But still no Demonbane....Nothing better than our Kino though. Except Japan's own of course

Quote:
Mah~ female characters tend to overshadow the male characters easily anyway in a harem story, so the protagonist just have to work harder to be popular
Actually I find the male to usually be more powerful or more important plotwise than the females usually. In popularity of course it will be the other way...
Old 2011-05-13, 11:35   Link #827
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

Oh yeah, there's a Kino right down the block from me, here in the Netherlands. <!--ありません。嫉妬して。-->
Old 2011-05-13, 11:35   Link #828
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Ehh? Which particularly unbearable harem story do you have in mind ?

But like what larethian said, it all depends on how the story is handled; it's fine to have harem elements so long as it doesn't screw with the main plot... When people care more about which girl is better rather than what's going on now... You know you got a serious problem.

A lot. For novel, ZnT is one(they have a main heroine here too though), Mayoi Neko Overrun another. For manga, Nagasarete Airantou comes to mind. I agree with the bloodline making this series fun, just like the early Naruto(before someone bash me on this, I said early Naruto, before the time skip). Even so, I can't help to want to scream sometimes, why do all those bloodline always end up with only female descendant? Where do all the male descendant go to dammit XD.
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-13, 11:38   Link #829
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoakeNoHikari View Post
Oh yeah, there's a Kino right down the block from me, here in the Netherlands. <!--ありません。嫉妬して。-->
That's ok.....It took two weeks for Aria 9 to arrive....almost twice as long as the rest...

EDIT: That means Amazon shipping times aren't always much slower than Kino's. Although they ARE usually.
Old 2011-05-13, 11:41   Link #830
larethian

Quote:
A lot. For novel, ZnT is one(they have a main heroine here too though), Mayoi Neko Overrun another. For manga, Nagasarete Airantou comes to mind. I agree with the bloodline making this series fun, just like the early Naruto(before someone bash me on this, I said early Naruto, before the time skip). Even so, I can't help to want to scream sometimes, why do all those bloodline always end up with only female descendant? Where do all the male descendant go to dammit XD.
I never read ZnT. Mayoi Neko is slice of life, nothing humongous ever happens, it's always on the backburner for me, though miraculously, I managed to finish up till volume 7 last year. 8 and 9 collecting dust. But Mayoi Neko develop the characters pretty well IMHO. Okay, change that to decent.

@Hikari are you being tsun or sarcastic? just checking.

EDIT: Though Mayoi Neko will belong to the second type, admittedly. wonder why I picked it up??
Old 2011-05-13, 11:46   Link #831
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

Quote:
@Hikari are you being tsun? just checking.
Ouch.

Well, I shall look forward to my non Zexcs adaptation of HnA, because Jeanne has still yet to appear.

@Edit
I suppose that the first one was sarcastic, and this one was tsun. Rather, the <!----> component of the joke would only be known to BT translators, so if you look at the <!----> as a thought, then yes, it'd be sarcastic.
Old 2011-05-13, 11:56   Link #832
larethian

Quote:
Ouch.

Well, I shall look forward to my non Zexcs adaptation of HnA, because Jeanne has still yet to appear.

@Edit
I suppose that the first one was sarcastic, and this one was tsun. Rather, the <!----> component of the joke would only be known to BT translators, so if you look at the <!----> as a thought, then yes, it'd be sarcastic.
yeah yeah, I kind of knew.

if one day, you decide to watch the anime of densetsu no yuusha no densetsu, I'd like for you to compare episode 22 to "volume 10 chapter 5 ("Test")" that I've translated. that should be the ultimate benchmark for the word "butchering" or "mutilate".
Old 2011-05-13, 12:01   Link #833
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

Fumu...

Well, I'm letting myself get distracted. Time to get back to work~

わあああああああ

グンジオタクたちの言葉だからあたしの頭が痛くて。何もわからない、全然混乱する。
Old 2011-05-13, 12:18   Link #834
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Fumu...

Well, I'm letting myself get distracted. Time to get back to work~

わあああああああ

グンジオタクたちの言葉だからあたしの頭が痛くて。何もわからない、全然混乱する。
Aww come on...it's just the detonation of the percussion cap via a firing pin which forces the round out the barrel while the rifling causes said round to spin enabling it a truer flight as well as drill a large chunk out of the target while the gases of the detonation are vented to push the bolt carrier back allowing a new round to be chambered.
Old 2011-05-13, 12:21   Link #835
endarion88

curiosity: how much cost more or less for you translator to obtain a new LN volume?
endarion88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-13, 12:30   Link #836
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by endarion88 View Post
curiosity: how much cost more or less for you translator to obtain a new LN volume?
Around 13+ SGD for me....translates to ~ 11USD
Old 2011-05-13, 12:32   Link #837
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Actually I find the male to usually be more powerful or more important plotwise than the females usually. In popularity of course it will be the other way...
I think it's more like the female characters start out very strong, sometimes crazy strong while the male protagonists are average or even weaker, but they tend to have that one rule breaking power - Yuuji (shana) has his unlimited regeneration thingy, Itsuki (Rental Magica) has his eye, Ichika (IS) has the one mecha that can perform a OHK on other mechas- But overtime they get stronger and stronger till they supass the girls.

Plotwise... Well, they are the main protagonists after all But there tend to be only a tiny, microscopic number of male characters.

Quote:
Isn't mayoi neko a romance/comedy though? The rules are different then

Mah~ I'm no light novel expert, so I'm only basing it on what I saw in the anime... Sigh, and I had such hopes from the first few episodes nyaa~

*cough* moving on...
Old 2011-05-13, 12:38   Link #838
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I think it's more like the female characters start out very strong, sometimes crazy strong while the male protagonists are average or even weaker, but they tend to have that one rule breaking power - Yuuji (shana) has his unlimited regeneration thingy, Itsuki (Rental Magica) has his eye, Ichika (IS) has the one mecha that can perform a OHK on other mechas- But overtime they get stronger and stronger till they supass the girls.

Plotwise... Well, they are the main protagonists after all But there tend to be only a tiny, microscopic number of male characters.

Isn't mayoi neko a romance/comedy though? The rules are different then

Mah~ I'm no light novel expert, so I'm only basing it on what I saw in the anime... Sigh, and I had such hopes from the first few episodes nyaa~

*cough* moving on...
indeed, it's a romance comedy, to be exact, it's harem story with a weak theme. but for some reason, I read it. hahaha.

and I'd like Ichika to be not included in that list :P
Old 2011-05-13, 12:49   Link #839
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
indeed, it's a romance comedy, to be exact, it's harem story with a weak theme. but for some reason, I read it. hahaha.
Either for the 'nyaaa~' or the tsundere childhood friend, both are legitimate reasons

Quote:
and I'd like Ichika to be not included in that list :P
Fair enough

Yuuji (shana) has his unlimited regeneration thingy, Itsuki (Rental Magica) has his eye, Touma (Toaru) has his right hand, and even Yoshi (Bakatest) has a special corporeal avatar.

Point is, the girls are usually the stronger characters while the guys are one trick wonders; which allows the author to use the 'he got hurt protecting me! I'm suppose to be the strong one!' emotional card

*cough* Ichika *cough*
Old 2011-05-13, 13:33   Link #840
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

you haven't seen anything by Kajishima Masaki then.....

Tags
action, detectives, guns, harem, lolis, mf bunko j, romance, shounen