Old 2012-08-16, 14:48   Link #1
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
Mega Man XOver (CrossOver)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndriaSang
Titled Mega Man Xover (or, in Japanese, Rockman Xover), this iOS Mega Man game is a social RPG that's being released to commemorate the franchise's 25th anniversary. The game takes place in Xover World (pronounced Crossover World), so named because it is a crossover of all Mega Man worlds.

The Mega Man heroes have been locked away in a separate dimension by such fiendish villains as Dr. Wily and Sigma. Dr. Light and Dr. Cossack jointly develop a new robot to deal with this dangerous situation. This mass production robot makes use of Battle Memory scattered around the world to build up its capabilities.

Players take control of this new style robot. Building up their very own Mega Man, players will team up with friends to bring back peace to the world.
So, it's a new Mega Man game! Get hype!

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Images

Images

Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-16, 15:06   Link #2
hyl
reading #hikaributts

It looks like an android or iphone game

edit: stupid me for not noticing IOS. So of course it's an iphone game. Which is rather disappointing
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-16, 16:52   Link #3
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

So, how long before this game ends up getting cancelled?
Old 2012-08-16, 22:48   Link #4
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

Send a message via MSN to SOGESNAKE
.... preeeeetty sure this was Megaman Universe~
Old 2012-08-17, 05:30   Link #5
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

This is how they plan to celebrate Mega Man's 25th anniversary? Seems cheap if you ask me.
Old 2012-08-17, 10:17   Link #6
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Social Gaming and Mega Man are about the last things I feel would mix well. Mega Man is all about the old school challenge whereas social gaming is as casual as games can possibly come IMO. I don't see how they can make this work and still satisfy Mega Man fans unless they actually plan to make the worlds first actually challenging social game somehow.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-17, 17:26   Link #7
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

with this capcom finished nailing the coffin of the megaman series.
Old 2012-08-17, 21:39   Link #8
Destined_Fate

They nailed that coffin shut when they cut out Megaman Legends 3.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-17, 22:18   Link #9
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

dat autoplay button

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-18, 03:22   Link #10
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Lol capcom and franchise zombies. >.>

The thing about Mega Man, is that the series has always been about fast paced action, and this is quite out of the way. On the other hand, It's pretty hard though to make any new game that doesn't seem like a rehash though. So I guess we'll just have to live with small projects like this.

Or they could have done something different, like with the Legends series, but doing different things is not the motto of Capcom. Just look at the 10 billion versions of Street Fighter. "Oh, we added 2 things and changed attack ranges... give us $40 now"

People were complaining about that quite a while back and so the series got overly complicated with stupid "attempted" storytelling and making the games harder and less intuitive or more annoying as time went along. Mega Man X5 and X6 were absolutely horrid messes of mechanics with convoluted upgraded systems that would just be too much for the people that just want to go "shoot boss til dead, acquire weapon". So when the franchise was getting stale by 2000 and the only thing to market is stupid gimmicks like "Zero is totally awesome, and he has an extra move this time" or "X now has Zero's Sword but he sucks with it and we also made the arm cannon suck to force you to use the saber..." it just gets tiresome. And now it's 2012.

(Though X8 and the Zero series was rather good...) You can see them trying to return back to roots with Mega Man 9 and 10, although personally I just had no interest since the concept of no slide or charge shots is way too archaic for me.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-18, 05:04   Link #11
Destined_Fate

Well, Capcom doesn't have the best story tellers for things like that. Their Street Fighter story tellers are just horrible. Though their MMX one was good when they firts brought in Zero and had his freaky flashbacks where he went crazy.

Though that time is gone and Zero was replaced with that... "Thing" and X went out like a wimp.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-18, 05:15   Link #12
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Yea, for Mega Man X4, the story wasn't too bad with Zero Actually, X4's was pretty decent since it tried to go beyond reploids going maverick, though it was marred by that horrible voice acting.

But then they went for bullshit like spreading a virus across a planet and of course hiding yourself to repair yourself. Not that I really care for the plot to begin with, but it was just a sign of it just getting too convoluted.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2012-08-18, 10:44   Link #13
JohnNiles

Is X4 the one with "WHAT AM I FIGHTING FORGGGGGH"? Uh, yeah.

I wonder what the thought process at Capcom HQ is. Guess if I really need to play Megaman, I'll dig out the PS2 collection. Tried 9 & 10, didn't get very far.
JohnNiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-18, 16:13   Link #14
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing
(Though X8 and the Zero series was rather good...)
The Zero series was great, though I think from Mega Man Zero 2 onwards was a missed opportunity with the ditching of what made the first entry so great. Mega Man Zero had a linked overworld and meaningful missions instead of "choose your boss".
Quote:
You can see them trying to return back to roots with Mega Man 9 and 10, although personally I just had no interest since the concept of no slide or charge shots is way too archaic for me.
Does that mean you don't like Mega Man 2? Because if you do like the game, like many people do, that's not the problem.

Lots of people complain about the slide and the charge shot being missing, but their introduction made room for bad design decisions.

The addition of the slide meant that Mega Man had a kind of pseudo-dash ability that the enemies are made in mind with, which sucked. There were also suddenly gaps for Mega Man to slide through because they had to validate the addition of that move.

The charge shot just meant that enemies had more HP and in the end it was still better to use a turbo button unless the charge shot was too powerful (like in Mega Man 5). You'd end up charging the thing the entire time with that "wah-wah-wah-wah" sound.

I'm glad Mega Man 9 went back to basics.
Old 2012-08-18, 16:25   Link #15
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
Does that mean you don't like Mega Man 2? Because if you do like the game, like many people do, that's not the problem.

Lots of people complain about the slide and the charge shot being missing, but their introduction made room for bad design decisions.

The addition of the slide meant that Mega Man had a kind of pseudo-dash ability that the enemies are made in mind with, which sucked. There were also suddenly gaps for Mega Man to slide through because they had to validate the addition of that move.

The charge shot just meant that enemies had more HP and in the end it was still better to use a turbo button unless the charge shot was too powerful (like in Mega Man 5). You'd end up charging the thing the entire time with that "wah-wah-wah-wah" sound.

I'm glad Mega Man 9 went back to basics.
I like Mega Man 2, however I don't love it enough to consider it the point to revert to, that's all. I very much prefer Mega Man 3. But that's a certain bias-- I didn't play the older ones until much later in my life. The slide and later dash just makes the gameplay more fluid. I like having full control of my characters. Slide really shone in boss fights. Also, real men don't use the turbo button. Mega Man 2 is probably a more pure platformer though but that's not something I enjoy the most about this series.

For an example of added features that are just a gimmick that makes gameplay more complicated, look at the ropes or inability to shoot through walls in Mega Man X5. That just gets in the way of gameplay. But at least it doesn't give you the chance to auto-sucide yourself for Zero in X6.

But that's just me. My perfect Mega Man game are the X ones on the SNES where it has cool charge animations (even better on the PSX) I sort of have a fascination with the items in X5-X6, but sadly the ways they work annoy me. There is a certain fascination with getting the upgrades in the series and having X all pimped out and crapping on the previously hard enemies. Double Air Dash > All, Plasma Short is amazing, Shadow Armor lulz, etc.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2012-08-19, 01:18   Link #16
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

well at first capcom tried to milk the series for money, the X series was supposed to end at 5, then continued at megaman zero, and that pretty much screwed the whole plot of the series, they did achieve some succes in the megaman.exe series, but they pretty much milked that dry in a time record with that huge number of games, and those had different versions, capcom had taken some very dumb design choices with their franchices over the years, with many already forgotten like breath of fire, others beign mourned like Megaman, some in their deathbed like DMC, and finally the ones starting to show signs of decay like RE and lost planet.
Old 2012-08-19, 01:57   Link #17
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
You know where this idea came from:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
The Zero series was great, though I think from Mega Man Zero 2 onwards was a missed opportunity with the ditching of what made the first entry so great. Mega Man Zero had a linked overworld and meaningful missions instead of "choose your boss".
The Zero series was the most interesting saga to MM I've ever played(and I've been playing MM since MM3 on NES). The story across the 4 games, the different weapons, and the cyber-elf enhancement system were great and innovative additions to the series.

Last edited by frubam; 2012-08-19 at 02:10.
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-19, 13:32   Link #18
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post

People were complaining about that quite a while back and so the series got overly complicated with stupid "attempted" storytelling and making the games harder and less intuitive or more annoying as time went along. Mega Man X5 and X6 were absolutely horrid messes of mechanics with convoluted upgraded systems that would just be too much for the people that just want to go "shoot boss til dead, acquire weapon". So when the franchise was getting stale by 2000 and the only thing to market is stupid gimmicks like "Zero is totally awesome, and he has an extra move this time" or "X now has Zero's Sword but he sucks with it and we also made the arm cannon suck to force you to use the saber..." it just gets tiresome. And now it's 2012.
but Zero is totally awesome, he's built like a humanoid AU Gundam and has the personality and appearance of one of it's pilots. All stoic and bishie. He even has the whole tragic battle with the sympathetic robot chick from the other side that ends in her dying so that he can then ponder what might have been for the rest of eternity, but first he has to fight her totally awesome rival bro Charcatype in a duel for honor and supreme robo-manliness.

I guess what I'm trying to say is it feels like the X series tried to borrow from Gundam after about that point (colony drops and space elevators much? How about the new generation of newtype reploids in X8? Sieg Repliforce?) and it didn't really work cause it's a little hard to take it seriously when it's robots and the game is built like an action platformer and not a space opera.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2012-08-19 at 13:53.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-19, 17:22   Link #19
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
but Zero is totally awesome, he's built like a humanoid AU Gundam and has the personality and appearance of one of it's pilots. All stoic and bishie. He even has the whole tragic battle with the sympathetic robot chick from the other side that ends in her dying so that he can then ponder what might have been for the rest of eternity, but first he has to fight her totally awesome rival bro Charcatype in a duel for honor and supreme robo-manliness.

I guess what I'm trying to say is it feels like the X series tried to borrow from Gundam after about that point (colony drops and space elevators much? How about the new generation of newtype reploids in X8? Sieg Repliforce?) and it didn't really work cause it's a little hard to take it seriously when it's robots and the game is built like an action platformer and not a space opera.
Rofl, well certainly anything mecha related will take in account Gundam, but then you have an entire storyline about newtype reploids having to move to space to "evolve". And that was their most passable storyline, maybe because someone else thought of it. There's also an underlying theme that war is bad, though X series botches it up by making death extremely cheap.

And Capcom of America seemed to think of Gundam so too, since they cast Mark Gatha (English VA for G Gundam) as X in X8 and command mission and I found the game worth playing on that alone. X's voice actors beforehand went from girly (X4), bishie (x5-x6), Monotone (x7). Then you suddenly have X channeling a Gundam Pilot in X8 in a rather over the top manly fashion and we wonder why they just didn't do that in the first place. In the Maverick Hunter X OVA...

Spoiler:

As for Zero, maybe it's due to his girly appearance, but he also gets a manlier voice every time a new game gets released. Though his Japanese voice was Ryotaro Okiayu so that was pretty maxed out on that side.

And yea, Zero seems to get all the manly stuff. In fact he gets to do all the cool stuff plot related in X5-X6, including saving X when half of his body was already blown away. Gameplay wise, he's also infinitely more fun in those games until you get X pimped out with the Armor of the Month. Zero of course, doesn't need upgrades. =p And he shows up in those crossover games. I mean they put fucking Tron Bonne in and Mega Man gets no say?

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2012-08-19, 18:26   Link #20
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Zero is popular enough to be a playable character in Tatsunoko vs capcom and the marvel vs capcom 3 series . Also Zero is somewhat a replacement for the regular Megaman who was playable in marvel vs capcom 1 and 2, but not in mvc3 nor umvc3

@frubam: please dont' remind me of that horrible cartoon
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote