AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hanasaku Iroha

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-05-11, 17:04   Link #41
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
TT ended with exactly the right couple
I didn't think so, but in fairness, I'll admit that the pairing that we did end up with isn't entirely bad. I just much, much preferred the main alternative.

Quote:
TT was very different from this show, no matter which girl you liked - same writer or not. Romance was the raison d'etre of TT - it was a relationship show. It almost had to have some sort of definitive pairing or it wouldn't have had an ending. Here, romance is at best a side plot - at least for now - and perhaps will never become a significant part of the story. I hope people aren't too disappointed if it ends with no pairing at all.
This I agree with you on, however. Good points.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2011-05-11 at 19:19.
Old 2011-05-11, 17:13   Link #42
Dr. Casey

The best part of True Tears was the opening, imo, that song ruled.
Old 2011-05-11, 18:53   Link #43
Sugarless Ocean
Ms. Procrastinator

Hmm. So the reasons why people don't like Tooru with Ohana are because they prefer Ohana with Ko or some other couple, they think it will mess up the story, and the age difference? Is that all or is there more? I just wanted to clarify.
Old 2011-05-11, 19:06   Link #44
.x.crii.x.
To the beat//

I think the main reason why some people don't like TooruxOhana is because:

When you compare this:

Ko: Guy who already confessed he loves the girl and waited years and years to tell her.

Tooru: Guy who´s barely going to get his development.

I think its more of an issue because they haven't seen the development. It'd be like saying:

Tomoe and Beanman are a couple.

They´d be like: Wait, wait, wut?! WE DO NOT APPROVE OF THIS!

I think that if Tooru does indeed like Ohana (which he most probably does), once he gets some real development with her in the love section, some people will start to become more comfortable with it, maybe even come to ship it.
Old 2011-05-11, 20:13   Link #45
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

I look at it and see...

Ko: In another city, not readily available to do anything. Could be dating another girl and I don't know it. So why bother?
Tohru: Has a motorcycle. Works in same place as me. Is cute. Available for anything on reasonable notice including .....

Tohru wins!
Old 2011-05-11, 20:26   Link #46
Sugarless Ocean
Ms. Procrastinator

Tooru: Also the object of affection of the girl who you want to be friends with... Uh oh.

Well, Ohana doesn't even know that Tooru seems to be attracted to her. So I hope by the time that she does find out, she's already in love with him :3 And that there's lots of character development for Tooru too.
Old 2011-05-11, 20:27   Link #47
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarless Ocean View Post
Tooru: Also the object of affection of the girl who you want to be friends with... Uh oh.

Well, Ohana doesn't even know that Tooru seems to be attracted to her. So I hope by the time that she does find out, she's already in love with him :3 And that there's lots of character development for Tooru too.
Who cares. Find another girlfriend.
Old 2011-05-11, 20:36   Link #48
.x.crii.x.
To the beat//

xDD lol my eyes popped at "has a motorcycle".
xDDD

The way I see it:

Ko: Is cute, but a bit too feminine. Isn't very direct, does things too much in a roundabout way. Would probably fall into a routine type relationship.
Tooru: Has a motorcycle. CAN COOK. Can drive. CAN COOK. Older, more experienced (prob?), CAN COOK, is a bit perverted (I'm sorry, I like my men to be a bit pervy), hard working, has a job, will do things to help me out, relationship will probz be very interesting, and did I mention that he can cook? xD;;

So yeah, Tooru wins in my books. :P
Old 2011-05-11, 20:43   Link #49
Sugarless Ocean
Ms. Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Who cares. Find another girlfriend.
For Ohana, Minko is probably someone she wouldn't throw away that easy

Hell yes, TooruxOhana would be interesting. And since they both can cook so maybe they can give each other tips? Lol if they both start arguing while trying to teach each other.
Old 2011-05-11, 20:50   Link #50
.x.crii.x.
To the beat//

Actually, I think Minko wouldn't be too much of a problem. By the look of things from ep 6, it seems she's pretty much catching on that Tooru has someone that he likes (wether its ohana or nako who knows).

So here's the thing: If Tooru does indeed like Ohana....Minchi didn´t really take it out on Ohana once she found Tooru peeping. To some degree I think I can even say that she was somewhat understanding.

The real problem with the TooruxOhana pairing would be for Ohana to come to terms with her own feelings, not feeling guilty for loving Tooru and for not feeling guilty of "betraying Michi".
Old 2011-05-11, 21:23   Link #51
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by .x.crii.x. View Post

The real problem with the TooruxOhana pairing would be for Ohana to come to terms with her own feelings, not feeling guilty for loving Tooru and for not feeling guilty of "betraying Michi".
Not a problem. Girls go thru this. It's not "betraying Michi". Minchi had her chance and didn't connect. That's all.

A certain title went thru a similar scenario last season.
Old 2011-05-11, 21:28   Link #52
.x.crii.x.
To the beat//

^ Madoka Magic? xDDD

But you know, Ohana is a bit on the naive side so....
Old 2011-05-11, 21:31   Link #53
Sugarless Ocean
Ms. Procrastinator

Quote:
Not a problem. Girls go thru this. It's not "betraying Michi". Minchi had her chance and didn't connect. That's all.

Er, Ohana's really loyal so I doubt she would just be like, "Haha, bitch, he's mine now! >:3" if the situation were to come. ^^;

Quote:
A certain title went thru a similar scenario last season.
Really?! Which one? :O

Last edited by Sugarless Ocean; 2011-05-11 at 21:46.
Old 2011-05-11, 21:56   Link #54
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
And what exactly determines who's the "third wheel"?
You know, that's kinda true. I think history is written by the victors.

IMO, anime and perhaps any fiction tends to have a frustrating perspective on love on the "one and only one true love" and such that you wonder are they stuck in some kind of reality bubble where nobody else seems to matter while in truth, shit can change depending on what happens.

But then again, I guess I never really buy into whatever is the "right" pairing for most series, since I'm not much of a shipper. However, if you didn't buy a certain romance, I guess to you, it just feels wrong.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-05-11, 22:01   Link #55
Sugarless Ocean
Ms. Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing
You know, that's kinda true. I think history is written by the victors.

IMO, anime and perhaps any fiction tends to have a frustrating perspective on love on the "one and only one true love" and such that you wonder are they stuck in some kind of reality bubble where nobody else seems to matter while in truth, shit can change depending on what happens.

But then again, I guess I never really buy into whatever is the "right" pairing for most series, since I'm not much of a shipper. However, if you didn't buy a certain romance, I guess to you, it just feels wrong.
^This here, so true. :O Although it's a reply to another convo, I completely agree.
Old 2011-05-11, 22:07   Link #56
.x.crii.x.
To the beat//

The problem with love triangles is that not everybody is always satisfied. xD;;

But yeah, shit happens...opinions change. Let´s just wait for the development.
Old 2011-05-12, 00:15   Link #57
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post

I don't mind this so much in a romance with no competitors involved (a rarity in modern times, I admit ), but in a love triangle, or a love quadrilateral, or in a love whatever-shape, I dislike it when the viable alternatives are treated as less than actual alternatives. It is kind of disrespecting to the "losers" yeah, imo.

If Ohana chooses Tooru over Ko, or Ko over Tooru, she's making an actual choice. Saying "it was fated to be" or something like that is a bit of a copout, in my mind. I hope that Ohana is honest enough with herself to own up to making an actual choice, if something like that occurs.
Old 2011-05-12, 01:00   Link #58
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
I don't mind this so much in a romance with no competitors involved (a rarity in modern times, I admit ), but in a love triangle, or a love quadrilateral, or in a love whatever-shape, I dislike it when the viable alternatives are treated as less than actual alternatives. It is kind of disrespecting to the "losers" yeah, imo.
It is extremely disrespectful, I'd feel. You really run the risk of creating a satellite character who's sole purpose is to engineer drama. It's for this reason that I simply groan when a love triangle comes up, as it really takes a good writer to make it feel dynamic so one person isn't just a spectator who never had a chance. Clannad, for example, got better to me and maybe some other people after they dropped the haremlike aspect, since well, personally I have no interest in watching a bunch of girls constantly sobbing over one guy.

Quote:
Saying "it was fated to be" or something like that is a bit of a copout, in my mind.
It's a huge copout, unless it was foreshadowed and therefore makes some degree of sense. If it was truly fated and nothing would matter, then what's the point of the story?

Anyhow back to Tooru; I really don't see a relationship with these girls to be happening atm. Oh sure, he must be somewhat attracted to them, but that doesn't really mean anything. Certainly, it's natural for someone like him to peer around for a bit. it seems like heavy luggage really for him to be in a relationship, and tbh, he's just as likely to be interested in someone outside of her his own age. Actually, I'd think that'd make just as much sense.

However, such a revelation would be hilarious though.

But as I've said so many times, a story doesn't have to have a romance-- some people forget this, and it doesn't go very well.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-05-12, 03:03   Link #59
Triple_R
*Author

Great points, Archon.

I'm now going to share my take on the current romance situation in this anime.

I think that Ko is Ohana's easy fallback option. Basically, Ko is to Ohana what Manami is to Kyousuke in Ore no Imouto. In other words, Ohana likes Ko well enough, but he doesn't ignite lustful passions for her. That's clearly the case, or Ohana would have already answered his love confession, even if it was via long-distance.

This isn't to say that Ko won't end up with Ohana in the end (same as with Minami and Kyousuke in Ore no Imouto) but I think it does mean that he only has a real chance if no other guy (or girl ) manages to capture Ohana's romantic interest. So the odds are against him, imo.

I think that Tooru has a clear crush on Ohana. I think he finds her attractive and likable, and he likes teasing her. I think he was impressed by how this "new girl" stood up to him during their very first meeting.

Given that this is an anime, I don't think that the age difference between Tooru and Ohana is any obstacle at all, really. I mean, one of anime's most famous romances of all-time involved a guy in his early 20s and a teenage girl. I'm speaking of course of this...

Spoiler for She's the one named Sailor Moon! :-p:

As for Minchi, I fear she's in for disappointment. I don't think Tooru has significant romantic feelings for her. I also think that Tooru might consider it inappropriate to be in a romance with a person immediately below him on the management chain.

As for Ohana, I think that Okada will very skillfully move her into a real dramatic pickle of a situation. I can see Ohana being simultaneously torn between growing feelings for Tooru and a long history with Ko, as well as torn between growing feelings for Tooru and not wanting to hurt Minchi by getting involved with Tooru.

There's real potential here for things to get very interesting and unpredictable.
Old 2011-05-12, 03:29   Link #60
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
I'm now going to share my take on the current romance situation in this anime.

I think that Ko is Ohana's easy fallback option. Basically, Ko is to Ohana what Manami is to Kyousuke in Ore no Imouto. In other words, Ohana likes Ko well enough, but he doesn't ignite lustful passions for her. That's clearly the case, or Ohana would have already answered his love confession, even if it was via long-distance.

This isn't to say that Ko won't end up with Ohana in the end (same as with Minami and Kyousuke in Ore no Imouto) but I think it does mean that he only has a real chance if no other guy (or girl ) manages to capture Ohana's romantic interest. So the odds are against him, imo.
Poor dumb O...

Hmm, well I guess Ko is still better than off than Manami, since
Spoiler for Oreimo:

Ohana seems receptivev to Ko; she even seems to want to encourage him to spit it out. Even in episode 1, she's like AHHHHH noooo.

Quote:
I think that Tooru has a clear crush on Ohana. I think he finds her attractive and likable, and he likes teasing her. I think he was impressed by how this "new girl" stood up to him during their very first meeting.

Given that this is an anime, I don't think that the age difference between Tooru and Ohana is any obstacle at all, really. I mean, one of anime's most famous romances of all-time involved a guy in his early 20s and a teenage girl. I'm speaking of course of this...

Spoiler for She's the one named Sailor Moon! :-p:
I guess. But one can still find someone attractive and such but not really feel the urge for a relationship.

Hmm... that guy.
Spoiler for Sailor Moon:

But on a serious note, yea age is pretty much best ignored in anime. In most cases, if you add +4 age to most anime characters, it seems to work very well.
Quote:
As for Minchi, I fear she's in for disappointment. I don't think Tooru has significant romantic feelings for her. I also think that Tooru might consider it inappropriate to be in a romance with a person immediately below him on the management chain.
Ah yes, issues of business. Makes everything too complicated.

Quote:
There's real potential here for things to get very interesting and unpredictable.
The sky's the limit. So I hope. I don't really have much more of an opinion on this matter, so I will bow out.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Closed Thread

Tags
characters