AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-03-29, 11:53   Link #20581
Rahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Turns out there was video shot of Zimmerman's arrival at the Sanford PD. He looks essentially uninjured without any evidence of the broken nose or head wounds that have been previously alleged.
To be fair, you can see a cop briefly checking out the back of Zimmerman's head at 0:50, so there should be something to see. (although broken noses tend to be bloody and there is no blood here)
Old 2012-03-29, 14:43   Link #20582
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
The neighbors knew Hill was mentally ill. Anybody could tell that by the way he acted. He refused to shake hands with people. He kept a surveillance camera trained on his neighbor's home. He shot squirrels that came in his yard, and, possibly, fatally shot a neighbor's dog.
But nobody thought Hill was capable of what happened Saturday, when his closest neighbors, Tommy Brown and Thalia Mook, were shot to death outside their home at 110 T.C. Jones Road.
Moments before the shootings, authorities say, Tommy Brown walked to his property line and shouted across the street for Hill to stop shooting his guns while his son, Tommy Jr., and Tommy's friends were playing basketball in Brown's driveway.
Hoke County Sheriff Hubert Peterkin said Hill came into Brown's yard carrying a .30-30 rifle and shot Brown in the back. When Mook stepped outside to help her fiance, Peterkin said, Hill shot her, too.
"He was laughing when he was doing it," said Mook's mother, Jamie Ramos. "My daughter is pleading, 'Please stop! Please stop!' and he kept laughing as he kept shooting."
http://www.fayobserver.com/articles/...7?sac=fo.local
i wonder which cost less,

Regular check ups by Mental Health Counselors and Medication

or

a murder trial, his incarceration and welfare check to a relative to look after the 2 kids until they are 18.
Old 2012-03-29, 15:34   Link #20583
flying ^

Supreme Court justice Antonin Scalia humorously invoked the Eighth Amendment to the Constitution, which forbids cruel and unusual punishments, when discussing the Obamacare legislation during oral argument today at the Supreme Court.

Quote:
JUSTICE SCALIA:
Mr. Kneedler, what happened to the Eighth Amendment? You really want us to go through these 2,700 pages?

(Laughter)

JUSTICE SCALIA:
And do you really expect the Court to do that? Or do you expect us to — to give this function to our law clerks?

Is this not totally unrealistic? That we are going to go through this enormous bill item by item and decide each one?

SOLICITOR GENERAL EDWIN KNEEDLER:
Well -
http://freebeacon.com/scalia-likens-...al-punishment/

now where's speaker Pelosi...

right now she should say "pass it to let the SCOTUS find out what is in it."

Old 2012-03-29, 15:47   Link #20584
GDB

Assuming that 2,700 page bill is the healthcare bill and not just an argument for/against it, then yes, Justice Scalia. You should go through those 2,700 pages. This is an important bill for American citizens. Your job is to be informed and make decisions based on that information. Do not be lazy.
Old 2012-03-29, 15:54   Link #20585
flying ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Assuming that 2,700 page bill is the healthcare bill and not just an argument for/against it, then yes, Justice Scalia. You should go through those 2,700 pages. This is an important bill for American citizens. Your job is to be informed and make decisions based on that information. Do not be lazy.

their job is to interpret the constitution, not rewrite legislation.
it would be sheer stupidity to expect them to sit around and figure out what stays, and what goes.
Old 2012-03-29, 15:57   Link #20586
GDB

Interpret the Constitution against what? How can they interpret it against this bill if they haven't even read the bill? I'm not saying they need to rewrite it, but they should read it. Especially when it's so important. Maybe if they had done that, Corporations would still be corporations.
Old 2012-03-29, 15:59   Link #20587
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
i wonder which cost less,

Regular check ups by Mental Health Counselors and Medication

or

a murder trial, his incarceration and welfare check to a relative to look after the 2 kids until they are 18.
Which choice cost less ? the first one of course. But some would argue than not every mentally ill individuals will end up doing such thing, than paying for the medication and counselors of every citizen than need it and don't have enough money would cost too much. Strangely, it's often the same peoples than want harder sentences, and thoses cost also a lot of money.
Old 2012-03-29, 16:04   Link #20588
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post

it would be sheer stupidity to expect them to sit around and figure out what stays, and what goes.
only activist judges try to interpret the Constitution. The SC should only be making sure if the law being argue in front of them is consistent with the wording of Constitution.
Old 2012-03-29, 16:15   Link #20589
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Something than could interest some peoples:
Politicization of Science in the Public Sphere: A Study of Public Trust in the United States, 1974 to 2010
http://www.asanet.org/images/journal...ASRFeature.pdf (pdf file)
Old 2012-03-29, 17:03   Link #20590
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post

If he hasn't read the bill, how the fuck is he supposed to rule on it without being an idiot? He was complaining about having to *read* the bill.

But yes, their job, just as it has been for the greater part of the history of the SC, is to read the law and excise which parts run up against the Constitution. Sometimes they remove bits and pieces, sometimes they remove the whole thing.

Frankly, I'm interested to see what the insurance industry does if they remove only the mandate (besides crap their pants). Despite the loud screams, the mandate is what the Insurance Industry wanted to not be an obstacle to any reform - it wasn't "government over-reach" so much as "kowtowing to a special interest so they'd play ball".
Old 2012-03-29, 20:31   Link #20591
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
There is no way that Mandate survives Constitutional muster. As for what happens to the rest of the bill, that is anyone's guess. I can see it either being struck down with the mandate, or survive but with the mandate gone.
Old 2012-03-29, 20:43   Link #20592
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
only activist judges try to interpret the Constitution. The SC should only be making sure if the law being argue in front of them is consistent with the wording of Constitution.
The problem is having to read 2,700 pages in a single session. To do that, I don't think a single week would even cut it.

Passing it to SCOTUS is unrealistic. Would they even read it? I think not...they would just look for someone and ask "WTF is this shit.".

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-03-29, 20:47   Link #20593
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
The problem is having to read 2,700 pages in a single session. To do that, I don't think a single week would even cut it.

Passing it to SCOTUS is unrealistic. Would they even read it? I think not...they would just look for someone and ask "WTF is this shit.".
They aren't expected to give a conclusion to this until June at the earliest from what I've read. That's plenty of time to read it and still do everything else they need to do with it.
Old 2012-03-29, 20:48   Link #20594
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
There is no way that Mandate survives Constitutional muster. As for what happens to the rest of the bill, that is anyone's guess. I can see it either being struck down with the mandate, or survive but with the mandate gone.
For once I'm actually agreeing with you. If the mandate is stricken but the rest of the bill (which is really only about half what we actually need for healthcare reform) I'm going to laugh and laugh and laugh how the insurance industry "sacrificed" so much yet gained precisely nothing.
Old 2012-03-29, 21:13   Link #20595
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Yeah, I tend to agree with Justin about the mandate's constitutional status... or more precisely, what Justice Kennedy said that none of this would be in front of the Court if they'd just set it up as a tax (like Medicare & SocSec) ... in other words, a public option for the "90%" who can't afford insurance.
Old 2012-03-29, 21:43   Link #20596
AnimeFan188

Canada to pull the penny from circulation

"The Canadian government announced on Thursday that it plans to pull the penny
from circulation at the end of 2012, saying the copper-coated currency is more
expensive for the Royal Canadian Mint to produce than its actual currency value.

"Pennies take up too much space on our dressers at home. They take up far too
much time for small businesses trying to grow and create jobs," said Finance
Minister Jim Flaherty. He also said it costs 1.5 cents to produce each penny."

See:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...221558392.html

I wonder how much longer the U.S. penny will last.
Old 2012-03-29, 21:53   Link #20597
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
expensive for the Royal Canadian Mint to produce than its actual currency value.

See:

The US has tried to do this several times in my lifetime - each time there was a sentimental outcry. It has also tried to stop printing $1 bills and just use $1 coins. Same outcry.... :P

Seriously - the sentimentalism is a bit stupid and costs a fortune just moving those damned pennies around. and the inflationary worth of a $1 is less than a quarter (25cents) of its worth a few decades ago.

Well, I hope the Canadians have better luck...

Currently the "melt price" (silver content value) of a single 1964 year quarter (25 cent piece) or earlier is about $5.80 as of today (3/29/12).
Old 2012-03-29, 22:57   Link #20598
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post

See:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The US has tried to do this several times in my lifetime - each time there was a sentimental outcry. It has also tried to stop printing $1 bills and just use $1 coins. Same outcry.... :P

Seriously - the sentimentalism is a bit stupid and costs a fortune just moving those damned pennies around. and the inflationary worth of a $1 is less than a quarter (25cents) of its worth a few decades ago.

Well, I hope the Canadians have better luck...

Currently the "melt price" (silver content value) of a single 1964 year quarter (25 cent piece) or earlier is about $5.80 as of today (3/29/12).
Good for Canada. Pennies are a waste of space and money as explain by CGP Grey.
Old 2012-03-29, 23:30   Link #20599
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

There was a article about the US Penny a few days ago saying it cost 2 cents to make one and that the Nickle cost about 11 or so cents to make. They are talking about remaking both with steel. The Penny to be copper toned (or dipped) so it looks the same. The Nickle...just steel unless they need a nickle coat to make it look right.

As oppose to removing either of them from the pool.
Old 2012-03-29, 23:36   Link #20600
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
There was a article about the US Penny a few days ago saying it cost 2 cents to make one and that the Nickle cost about 11 or so cents to make. They are talking about remaking both with steel. The Penny to be copper toned (or dipped) so it looks the same. The Nickle...just steel unless they need a nickle coat to make it look right.

As oppose to removing either of them from the pool.
They should just nix the both of them. Efficiency is not our forte, it seems...

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international