Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-12-03, 22:34   Link #1
Kushi

Incredible Scenery

Hi There

After reading works such as Aria, or Negima / Love hina, heck even pastel had some good ones, I saw that their works oftens included a lot of incredible scenery and offers a very cozy and beautiful setting.

Are there any mangas [possibly] animes out there similiar to here? I'm not looking for anything dark / gory however, hopefully it'll be a romance / comedy or something like that... but I'm mainly looking for an anime with good scenery and just a really good "place" feel.
Old 2008-12-03, 22:49   Link #2
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Hmmm I can only think of Haruhi, Kanon and Clannad now.

Kyoani always had their schools and towns drawn incredibly detailed even as backgrounds. The places they draw certainly leave impressions.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2008-12-03, 22:57   Link #3
kyon.haruhi.suzumiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Hmmm I can only think of Haruhi, Kanon and Clannad now.

Kyoani always had their schools and towns drawn incredibly detailed even as backgrounds. The places they draw certainly leave impressions.
CLANNAD of course.
Kanon... the scenery IS snow. It gets depressing and boring after some time.
Haruhi... scenery... lolwut? Urban scenery? I dunno about that, but I think that's just wrong, unless you're referring to Lone Island Syndrome.

Air has good scenery too.
Old 2008-12-03, 23:08   Link #4
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Well Kushi is looking for a "place" feel.

Haruhi, Nishinomiya, enough? It was too well detailed lol
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2008-12-03, 23:09   Link #5
Telmah

Send a message via AIM to Telmah Send a message via MSN to Telmah
I really liked the scenary in Twin Spica. The character designs were very simple but the backdrops were really well done.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou--also had really amazing scenario. It is a 2 part ova, but really vivid scenary if I recall correctly.
Old 2008-12-03, 23:17   Link #6
kyon.haruhi.suzumiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Well Kushi is looking for a "place" feel.

Haruhi, Nishinomiya, enough? It was too well detailed lol
OH! I see. Yes. Nishinomiya, yes, very well-detailed. Too close to the original. Now the Nishinomiya city council is thinking of how to get people not to dawdle in Nishinomiya-Kitaguchi station, but make them get moving. As far as I know, at Nishinomiya-Kitaguchi, till now, there are people who will take random photos with Haruhi figurines, then leave Nishinomiya for Moriguchi, Osaka. For Kanon. Lawlz.

That's the reason for building Japan's 3rd largest shopping center at Nishinomiya-Kitaguchi. Since it's part of the station, the station has become "larger", in a way.
Old 2008-12-03, 23:45   Link #7
Falkor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushi View Post
Hi There

After reading works such as Aria, or Negima / Love hina, heck even pastel had some good ones, I saw that their works oftens included a lot of incredible scenery and offers a very cozy and beautiful setting.

Are there any mangas [possibly] animes out there similiar to here? I'm not looking for anything dark / gory however, hopefully it'll be a romance / comedy or something like that... but I'm mainly looking for an anime with good scenery and just a really good "place" feel.
I guess that you are looking for Slice-Of-Life, or something where the focus in centered on the settings/sceneries and not quite on the story and the characters. If you liked ARIA, I will suggest Sketchbook ~full colors~ (its closest relative).

That reminds me, maybe you should check some Makoto Shinkai's movies (I strongly recommend the last one, Byousoku 5 cm). Those are the most beautiful sceneries I've seen in any anime. This is the opening he made for ef~ (and here)

ef ~ tales of memories had nice sceneries as well. There's a second season to this anime and although I've been unable to check it out, I heard that there's a great improvement on the artistic department.

I'm not sure if you have already watch these, though...

I've been reading quite a few manga as of late. Some with good sceneries.... hmm... perhaps Umi no Misaki, though to be sincere, I've read only the first chapters and I'm not sure of how the story develops later on...

I'll recommend this as well, Gatsu no Lion (Slice-Of-Life again)--from the same author of Honey and Clover...

and how the heck can I forget about Yotsubato
Old 2008-12-04, 00:11   Link #8
jedinat

I'll second Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, but I much more highly recommend the manga.
A second for Yotsubato! as well.

For anime, check out Mushishi.
Old 2008-12-04, 03:29   Link #9
Grif

Well they are not exactly like the anime you mentioned, but just about every movie makoto shinkai has done had amazing scenary, just about the best i think i have seen.
Old 2008-12-04, 04:04   Link #10
blewin

add Onegai Twins for absolutely stunning scenery with romance and comedy.

though my top recommendation is to second Mushishi, but Mushishi doesn't have romance, it's heart-warming in another way.
Old 2008-12-04, 04:06   Link #11
james0246

Damn, you’re banning of gore instantly made a suggestion of Nihei's beautiful apocalyptic cityscapes impossible to recommend.

Oh well .

Might I suggest Studio Ghibli titles: Porco Rosso has some beautiful Mediterranean locations as well as some wonderful aviation sequences; Whisper of the Heart has some wonderful cityscapes; and Only Yesterday and My Neighbor Totoro have some wonderful small town/countryside settings.
Old 2008-12-04, 04:39   Link #12
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Damn, you’re banning of gore instantly made a suggestion of Nihei's beautiful apocalyptic cityscapes impossible to recommend.
Without that ''parameter'' I would have suggested Saikano, but the manga have his moment of gore and destruction, so...
I second Mushishi and Makoto Shinkai's Work. You could try Ghost in the Shell 2 Innocence.
Old 2008-12-04, 09:54   Link #13
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

For a slice-of-life show, you might want to try Natsume Yuujinchou.

However if you're willing to tolerate a little, relatively bloodless violence, I'd strongly recommend Seirei no Moribito by Kamiyama Kenji and Production I.G. It has stunning visuals in almost every episode. Just watch as the heroine Balsa walks across the rice paddies at the beginning of episode one. You'll be hooked.

A very different show with some extraordinary artwork is Mononoke and it's prequel "Bakeneko," the last arc of Ayakashi Samurai Horror Tales. While the show has a very psychedelic style, the backgrounds and especially the wall scrolls are remarkably detailed. Mononoke concerns a demon-slayer, but it's much more a psychological than an action thriller and has hardly any on-screen violence or gore. The artists who illustrated the walls of the Inner Sanctum in Kure-nai seem to have taken a page from Mononoke's book. (I just noticed that the females on this wall are drawn in the manner of a famous series of illustrations for the Tale of Genji with which Kure-nai has some commonalities.)

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2008-12-04 at 11:03.
Old 2008-12-04, 10:46   Link #14
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Its licensed, but Kamichu! had some lush and gorgeous scenery depicting a small coastal town and the hillsides around it.

AIR! (also licensed) included some lovely depictions of the town it takes place in.

5 centimeters per second is loaded with mind-blowing scenery.... (also licensed).

Many anime series use actual Japanese locations as reference points; the staff goes there and takes buckets of pictures to use in constructing their animated backdrops.
Old 2008-12-04, 15:01   Link #15
MusoukaProductions
Kick reason to the curb

Came in here to post 5 Centimeters per Second. One of the most beautiful works of art I've ever seen.
Old 2008-12-05, 21:28   Link #16
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

If your just looking for beautiful scenery i would recommend Seirei no Moribito or even .hack series.

But from the last part of your post i would also suggest... They arent the happiest and funnies animes you can find but have very nice artwork and they are very touching.

Air
Clannad
Kanon
ef ~tale of memories~
Yourself MySelf
Old 2008-12-05, 21:34   Link #17
Falkor

let me add Amanchu! to the list of mangas with good sceneries (I just read the first chapter ). It's the newest work of Amano-sensei (author of ARIA). You might as well check it out; it will give you the "good place feel."

this is the discussion thread in AS...
Old 2008-12-06, 21:55   Link #18
Saleh
Inactive

Other than those recommeded already, Simoun(Licensed) had some of the best visuals but almost doll like character design. Some scenes in Allison & Lillia, True Tears, Tsubasa Chronicles, Romeo & Juliet, Mouryou no Hako, The third, Hatenkou yuugi, Blue drops are beautiful as well.
Old 2008-12-06, 22:10   Link #19
LunarSun

you might want to check out sola....has very nice scenery

definally 5centimeter per second and the place promised in our early days
Old 2008-12-07, 13:28   Link #20
Shadow Kira01

Incredible scenery? This depends on how you define it, but some anime does have it though..

Air
Aria the Origination
Clannad
Real Drive
Closed Thread