AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Tales of...

Notices

Old 2004-05-26, 14:53   Link #1
White_Line

Send a message via AIM to White_Line
Wink Tales of Eternia TV series Discussion

Anybody want to give their opinions/rants/ etc. of this show? I'm planning on downloading it after I do something else becuase I've always wanted to see it. Though I heard the dialogue is pretty weird becuase it was based off a video game...

What do you guys think about it? ^_______^
White_Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-26, 15:10   Link #2
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

It's a decent series, some good action and good humor it. I loved the episode where the one character only wanted to sit and watch the clouds but couldn't find a place to do it in peace and quiet.

It's nothing to celebrate but it's good enough to waste some time on.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-26, 16:56   Link #3
mah_damey

i thot it was pretty good, but i think it was cuz i played the game so there was a lil sumthing extra in there for me. i thot it was pretty rushed tho.
mah_damey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-26, 20:30   Link #4
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

I think its worth a download in my opinion. Cool characters, interesting story but it went downhill towards the end. They try to shove the ending into a single episode which is not good, they leave the end wide open almost like they were were planning on a sequel. Beats me. I haven't played the game but I feel like playing it now after seeing this little series.
Old 2004-05-27, 00:26   Link #5
Badaro
Blue Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitaro
I think its worth a download in my opinion. Cool characters, interesting story but it went downhill towards the end. They try to shove the ending into a single episode which is not good, they leave the end wide open almost like they were were planning on a sequel. Beats me. I haven't played the game but I feel like playing it now after seeing this little series.
The ending is easily explained: The anime is a "side story", and takes place midway through the first disc of the game.

[]s Badaro
Badaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-27, 00:37   Link #6
mah_damey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badaro
The ending is easily explained: The anime is a "side story", and takes place midway through the first disc of the game.

[]s Badaro
2nd dsk i thought.. o well who cares.
Old 2004-05-27, 05:26   Link #7
maian

I used to adore the ToE anime... but after playing the game, I have to say that if you liked one, steer clear of the other. Or treat them as seperate entities (think Escaflowne TV/Escaflowne Movie).

Why?

Well, firstly the series does not agree with the progression of character development in the game. ^_^, Rid is a complete uncaring, insensitive bastard in the game, up until the very end. Keel is different in the game than in the anime also, although not to the same extend.

The transition from video game to anime is very awkward in some parts (Undine starting to talk about water property monsters.... ).

However, in spite of this, all in all I suppose it's an OK show. Nice to watch over dinner, but don't expect to get swept off your feet, especially if you've played the game.

On a random side note, the game is actually very good. ^.^ Like most Tales games~
maian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-27, 05:36   Link #8
mah_damey

reid wasnt an insensitive bastard, he juss wanted to keep things simple... keele seemed like a bigger ahole in the game to me.
Old 2004-05-27, 05:46   Link #9
maian

Strange. I distinctively remembering Rid telling Melody to get lost although she clearly needed help, bullying Keel at every opportunity... especially when he was younger. ^_^,

And yeah, Keel was a bastard. But he was also in a bastard in the anime, so it doesn't deserve much mention.

I suppose I can't stop hating Rid because everyone but him got their character development in a normal way but Rid needed help from Seyfert ... that just made him look like a weak-backed idiot who doesn't think about his own mistakes (Farah, Keel and Melody all do. Max doesn't, but I don't think he counts for obvious reasons).
maian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-27, 06:21   Link #10
Angela Sanctisstessa
I'm a boy..K?

Send a message via ICQ to Angela Sanctisstessa Send a message via MSN to Angela Sanctisstessa Send a message via Yahoo to Angela Sanctisstessa
in the game, max's the weirdo...always seems to do things bfor the impulse could reach his brains...
saying about reid a b******..50-50 sometimes he is really amazing but sometimes he can really piss the nail out off your finger
keele zeibel...sound more like keele *disabled*..his a cry baby since young and a lousy, "kiasu" and ignorrant guy but with kwel magic
i didn't reaaly pay attention towards farah and meredy...but i really respect the last boss..nereid..my..her skills like summon pluto,anhilation night,prism saber,bloody howl and the outmost..ultimate dead-end..i gamed over twice bcoz i dun noe how to counter it in the first place...
Angela Sanctisstessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-27, 14:04   Link #11
White_Line

Send a message via AIM to White_Line
Wink

Summing it all up

-Worth downloading

-Don't play the game if you watch the anime -__-;

-Some dialogue is weird...

^_____^ Thanks guys, anybody else that would like to add their opinion is welcome to do so!
White_Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-27, 18:28   Link #12
Zarxrax
Anime-Fansubs

Why is this series listed? It was licensed by media blasters 2-3 years ago. Or is this a different series or something?
Zarxrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-27, 18:44   Link #13
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarxrax
Why is this series listed? It was licensed by media blasters 2-3 years ago. Or is this a different series or something?
The license fell through when the Japanese company was unable to provide the masters. The DVD Release fansubs use HK Bootlegs as the raw source.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-28, 08:23   Link #14
mah_damey

duuuude play the gaame. its super good. i liked both, but i liked the game a whole lot better.
Old 2004-05-28, 08:45   Link #15
Blade556

Tales Of Eternia

This looks sweet...is it in any way related to Tales of Phantasia? I hope it does somehow...
Blade556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-28, 13:34   Link #16
Hellychan
~chibi tenshi~

You should look more carefully at the threads, there's already a Tales of Eternia one right below yours...T_T

And to give you an answer, Tales of Eternia's story is not related to Tales of Phantasia's one
Old 2004-05-30, 15:22   Link #17
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

I love holiday weekends. You can do a lot of catching up on series you haven't watched yet. Finally got to watch this one and I have to agree. Not the best, but not bad either. The girls were cute at least. One question though, is there supposed to be a sequel to this series? Reason I ask is they seemed to make a lot of emphasis on the "grand fall" but the charecters never got to complete it. They did finally get a chance to complete step 1 of their quest to prevent it, but then they stopped, which to me leaves the story WAY too open and easily makes a sequel possible. Not saying I'd want one, but if they had one, I'd definately watch it.
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-30, 15:37   Link #18
JoeTie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden
One question though, is there supposed to be a sequel to this series? Reason I ask is they seemed to make a lot of emphasis on the "grand fall" but the charecters never got to complete it.
In a way, yes. There's no direct followup in the anime, but the actual plot and events of the grand fall are covered in the tales of eternia ps1 game, released in english as tales of destiny 2. I actually seem to be somewhat alone in feeling that the anime and game compliment each other quite well, and add rather than detract from the enjoyment of each other.
JoeTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-30, 19:35   Link #19
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Well, the anime definately needs some help, I won't deny that. There was a few things they could have changed to give it less of a "hollow" feeling. It's like they were shooting for something, but forgot what it was an ended up recycling some stuff and throwing in some poor plot fillers to make up for it. I'd give it a 6/10 overall. Not bad, but not good. Then again, if the game makes a good compliment to the anime, it might fill in and answer a few things that weren't covered in the anime which may bump up the score of the anime a bit.
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-02, 08:53   Link #20
Nereid

Talking

ToE! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay! Its the best thing in the world! Anime could be better, but... it's always like this. Star Ocean EX could be better too.

Nereid [Shizel] is a real lame! I can beat him on Hardcore with Magical Brush as a weapon (U can get it on Van Eltia). Nereid [Regulus] in Nereid's Labyrinth - this is a real power! I even used all-divide on hardcore level. Another powerful boss is Cress from Tales of Phantasia, but Eternal Sword worth it! Yay!
Nereid is offline   Reply With Quote