AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-04-14, 15:28   Link #1321
ThoHell

We need a season 2 of this series... This is one of my enjoyable series!
ThoHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 15:30   Link #1322
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoHell View Post
We need a season 2 of this series... This is one of my enjoyable series!
This was only an adaptation of the first novel AFAIK, so hopefully there'll be more.
qmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 16:31   Link #1323
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyDSM View Post
Kenshin in Mode b(serious mode) is more manly than anyone... tho mode A(non serious mode) is less manly than anyone 0-o.
Truth. For all his gentleness and pacifist conversion, Kenshin was as GAR as they come when the chips were on the table - a badass among badasses.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 23:08   Link #1324
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Truth. For all his gentleness and pacifist conversion, Kenshin was as GAR as they come when the chips were on the table - a badass among badasses.
Then he had to punch himself in the face to go back to mode A...

Balsa has more self control than that. <3
Old 2009-04-14, 23:18   Link #1325
ZippyDSM
Incoherance is my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmeister View Post

Ya but do we want him in gar mode womanizing Kaoru and Megumi drunk on hiself like Kamina from Gurren Lagann..........

Quote:

Ya more self control but much less GAR. =^^=
ZippyDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 23:21   Link #1326
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyDSM View Post
Ya more self control but much less GAR. =^^=
1. Balsa's a woman.
2. GAR means you put yourself in bad situations. Kenshin almost dies how many times? Balsa almost dies once.

You want GAR from Seirei no Moribito, go for the Royal Assassins.
Old 2009-04-14, 23:25   Link #1327
ZippyDSM
Incoherance is my friend!

Quote:
1. Balsa's a woman.
2. GAR means you put yourself in bad situations. Kenshin almost dies how many times? Balsa almost dies once.

You want GAR from Seirei no Moribito, go for the Royal Assassins.
Now now GAR=bad ass, though for a sane non personality damaged charatcer shes the most Gar/Manly ^^
ZippyDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 23:58   Link #1328
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

GAR is many things to many people. Kenshin Himura is GAR (I actually think he's even GAR when he's being gentle and kind, because he's bottling up the killing rage inside him). Goro Honda is GAR. Sengoku Basara is GAR. Kamina is GAR. But they're all GAR for different reasons. GAR is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 2009-04-15, 00:45   Link #1329
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

Quote:
GAR is in the eye of the beholder.
More people need to know this...
Old 2009-04-15, 22:39   Link #1330
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I suppose being two years late this is likely more a monologue than anything else, but I love this series to bits so I'll keep talking to myself. Through 4 eps it remains flawless - great when it's fast-paced and action driven, great when it's slow and quiet. Wonderful character development, expert pacing, and preposterously good animation for TV. The bond between Barsa and Chagum is developing naturally and quietly, but it's already powerful and quite moving. This thing is an absolute stunner in all respects.

And incidentally, the English translation of Book II is due out 5/1, according to Amazon.
Old 2009-04-23, 22:14   Link #1331
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

After watching episode 10 (the spinning coin game) it must be said - Chagum is GAR. What a dignified, indomitable and clever boy he is.

This series has taken quite the turn - I expected a small slice-of-line turn in the middle, but it's already lasted longer than I expected. I'm not surprised this was a turn-off for some viewers, but I love it - SnM just does slice-of-life so damn well. Every detail is perfect, and who wouldn't want to spend time getting to know these characters? I know this series can do flawless and exhilarating action episodes - and it will again before it's over - but it can keep doing what it's doing for as long as it wants as far as I'm concerned.
Old 2009-04-24, 18:57   Link #1332
LifeILL

Seire no Moribito has NO bad episodes. Every episode was worth it.

However, do I want a season 2?? Um....not really.

I mean what else is there that we haven't seen yet?? The universe is fascinating, yes, but we've seen it all. You obviously cannot top the Chagum storyline, unless they want to turn the entire thing into some action fest....which I hope they don't do.

I just don't know where else they can go with this. It's over....
LifeILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-24, 19:00   Link #1333
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeILL View Post
I mean what else is there that we haven't seen yet??
The anime only adapted the first novel out of a series of novels.
Old 2009-04-24, 19:29   Link #1334
Tri-ring

Reading the source material published in Japan, I think the second novel "Yami no Moribito" is as good if not better than "Seirei no Moribito".
The story is more fast paced because it does not need to introduce the characters and background explanation of the society they live in.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-24, 20:03   Link #1335
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

2nd book (Yami) comes out in English next month...
Old 2009-04-25, 05:50   Link #1336
Ottocycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
Reading the source material published in Japan, I think the second novel "Yami no Moribito" is as good if not better than "Seirei no Moribito".
The story is more fast paced because it does not need to introduce the characters and background explanation of the society they live in.
I heard the original books were aimed at children. Now I'd like to ask about the level of Japanese present in the books, how good does one need to be if he wants to read them?
Ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-25, 22:40   Link #1337
mdauben

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbug23 View Post
Now I'd like to ask about the level of Japanese present in the books, how good does one need to be if he wants to read them?
Well, I don't know about the rest of the series, but you don't need to know Japanese at all to read the first two books (Guardian Of The Spirit & Guardian Of The Darkness), as they have been translated and released in English in the US.
Old 2009-04-26, 00:42   Link #1338
Ottocycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauben View Post
Well, I don't know about the rest of the series, but you don't need to know Japanese at all to read the first two books (Guardian Of The Spirit & Guardian Of The Darkness), as they have been translated and released in English in the US.
I kind of considered the high possibility where I might end up yearning to read the next untranslated volume.

Also, the bookstores in my area are very Japanese-friendly, I'd presume I can find the original books here too.
Ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-26, 18:42   Link #1339
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbug23 View Post
I heard the original books were aimed at children. Now I'd like to ask about the level of Japanese present in the books, how good does one need to be if he wants to read them?
The books are targeted towards low teens so Japanese ability of junior high or higher is needed.
No techno babble and not much complicated political aspects. One thing it does focus on is body movements and also names,beside that it is a fairly straight foward easy to comprehend material.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-27, 12:42   Link #1340
itisjustme

Quote:
This series has taken quite the turn - I expected a small slice-of-line turn in the middle, but it's already lasted longer than I expected. I'm not surprised this was a turn-off for some viewers, but I love it -
I think this segment (and Moribito as a whole) works better if you have access to the entire series rather than having to wait 2/3 months before going back to the main plot. Novels adaptations tend to be this way I find - novels have a flow of quieter passages interspacing more intense ones, for development/exposition/rhythm and because a succession of nothing but intense scenes will quickly bore and cease to impress.

By contrast, some series are better off seen an ep a week I think, or before long you realize their repetitive pattern and one-dimensional nature, and I'm not (only) talking about those of an episodic nature.
itisjustme is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, fantasy, historical, production i.g.