AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-04-30, 13:13   Link #41
ドラマの殿下
百裂拳
*Fansubber

If you look back at episode 2, you can see that he governs a manor, therein Governor.
I hate using "Sir" and "-dono" honorifics when there's another rank, though non-military, that may be used as a replacement.

Also, I welcome criticism and discussion at our channel at #huzzah@irc.rizon.net
ドラマの殿下 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-30, 18:15   Link #42
TheForsaken
Winter is coming

Isn't that his own house?
This is feudalism after all, so Sasuke, who is a noble (a petty one maybe, but still one), should hold land and own a manor.
I think it's (very) small as his income is only 200 koku.
When you use the term "governor" I expect something bigger, like a province or a castle or something.

So I don't think that "governor" is his title (I doubt that he has any title at all).
Old 2011-04-30, 20:57   Link #43
ドラマの殿下
百裂拳
*Fansubber

Therein, he gets a title which suits his social stature.
A manor in this era is kinda... big, like a small community.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sh%C5%8Den

Otherwise... he would have no social title other than "vassal, messenger, or "sir," all which aren't worthy of mention. Governor, however, is suitable for him.
Old 2011-04-30, 21:46   Link #44
gecd
Cah Gunungkidul

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...d-for-cannabis

oh no

0% alcohol, 80% ginger syrup, 10% love, 10% GALAU!!
gecd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-30, 22:08   Link #45
TheForsaken
Winter is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by ドラマの殿下 View Post
Otherwise... he would have no social title other than "vassal, messenger, or "sir," all which aren't worthy of mention. Governor, however, is suitable for him.
But that's who he is. He has nothing worthy of mention.
He's just a nobody so a simple "Sir" is the best fitting title for him.
If he is a "governor" then there will be tens of thousands "governors" like him and it will cheapen that title.
Old 2011-04-30, 22:13   Link #46
Sleeper

「"石" koku, goku」 is a unit which means man's annual consumption of rice.
So, Sasuke holds land that produces 200 koku = about 33.75t rice.

For your infomation, 「"大名" daimyo」 had at least 10000 goku in the Edo period.
Sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-30, 23:04   Link #47
ドラマの殿下
百裂拳
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheForsaken View Post
But that's who he is. He has nothing worthy of mention.
He's just a nobody so a simple "Sir" is the best fitting title for him.
If he is a "governor" then there will be tens of thousands "governors" like him and it will cheapen that title.
Dear ol' Nobunaga would have no mention for him otherwise then.
Sasuke's father-in-law served as Nobunaga's tea master, therein he earns the attention of Nobunaga through his aesthetic ways, and becomes "special."

So yes, though frequent usage cheapens the title, its ridiculously common in the era, so please keep this in mind.

And yes, there are plenty of Governors, Matsunaga Hisahide was one.
Old 2011-04-30, 23:46   Link #48
Forsaken_Infinity

:|

Akechi Mitsuhide = ultimate backstabber??? For some reason I find this whole Akechi vs Nobunaga deal very very awkward.

-_-
Forsaken_Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-01, 01:12   Link #49
TheForsaken
Winter is coming

Quote:
Dear ol' Nobunaga would have no mention for him otherwise then.
Sasuke's father-in-law served as Nobunaga's tea master, therein he earns the attention of Nobunaga through his aesthetic ways, and becomes "special."

So yes, though frequent usage cheapens the title, its ridiculously common in the era, so please keep this in mind.

And yes, there are plenty of Governors, Matsunaga Hisahide was one.
Yes, Sasuke is one of Nobunaga's favorite servant.
But that's just personal matter, official wise he's still a nobody unless Nobunaga grants him a title.
Being your lord's favorite servant doesn't make you a governor.
I don't understand why you mention Matsunaga Hisahide, he's a daimyou, not a mere messenger.

Well, everything I said is just my assumption, as the term "governor" gives me an impression of something big.
If you have any source that tells that it's just a petty and common tittle in the Sengoku period, please show me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
「"石" koku, goku」 is a unit which means man's annual consumption of rice.
So, Sasuke holds land that produces 200 koku = about 33.75t rice.

For your infomation, 「"大名" daimyo」 had at least 10000 goku in the Edo period.
I know that. Minor lords have an annual income of 10000 koku and biggest one can have up to one million, that's why Sasuke's 200 is laughable. He himself admits that he's poor.
Old 2011-05-01, 03:21   Link #50
ドラマの殿下
百裂拳
*Fansubber

Sasuke is Governor over Kamikuze Manor. This fact does not change, whether or not he's Oda's tea pal.

Oda cannot give titles either, because he has no influence over the court after being booted out from Minister of the Right position.

Peep through chapter 8.

About Governors: A whole lot of them, in more than one way.

Last edited by ドラマの殿下; 2011-05-01 at 03:33.
Old 2011-05-05, 10:28   Link #51
ドラマの殿下
百裂拳
*Fansubber

The opening theme has been changed.
Old 2011-05-07, 01:44   Link #52
vendredi

I just got started with this series and boy, am I impressed. The research that has gone into it is top-notch. Everything from the details in clothing, dress, allusions to tea ceremony, historical individuals; this show has real historical chops.

To try and raise the profile and accessibility of this series I've started blogging the series from episode 1 (since I'm a bit behind), and you can find my series of posts here:
http://fungafufu.wordpress.com/2011/...ion-and-notes/

Things I'm hoping to try to include in this blog series are historical notes and terminology - the anime actually does a lot to make things very accessible, but for those interested in historical nuances I've tried to point out a few things here and there.
vendredi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-07, 07:36   Link #53
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
The opening theme has been changed.
I liked that song, but I understand the decision:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...d-for-cannabis

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...nd-to-break-up

This is NHK, after all.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-13, 03:34   Link #54
vendredi

I have added another post for episode 2 with more historical notes, available here: http://fungafufu.wordpress.com/2011/...-the-tea-room/

In particular, the evidence we`re given in episode 2 leads me to believe that Furuta Sasuke is actually based in part on Furuta Oribe, who was the founder of the Oribe school of the Japanese tea ceremony - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furuta_Shigenari

Most notably, Furuta was also married to Nakagawa Kiyohide's younger sister, and was also a contemporary of Sen no Rikyū and became Rikyū's successor after the old tea master committed seppuku.
vendredi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-15, 08:00   Link #55
Forsaken_Infinity

I liked that song, it was so good
Forsaken_Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-22, 20:24   Link #56
TheForsaken
Winter is coming

Finally we have sub for ep 4

Quote:
Well, it's written that a governor is someone who "oversaw one or more of the provinces of Japan", and who "came to be called daimyō."
So a governor is someone in the same level as Nobunaga, not a mere messenger.
Old 2011-05-24, 08:22   Link #57
Sol Falling

This anime is pretty tense and epic. It's kinda disappointing how everyone is scheming behind Nobunaga's back though. Now that even the tea master is getting into the politics, it somewhat feels like this is just another series about Japanese history and its famous warlords after all.

That's not really to put anything against the series; this is the first time actually I've watched anything with these famous characters and about this period, so it's definitely got me hooked and I will be enjoying and following this. Still, however, that makes this show seem a bit less unique and original than the premise and people's impressions had given me the impression of. That is not a loss for me personally; however at the same time I guess it also makes this anime's evidently limited popularity somewhat understandable.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-24, 19:23   Link #58
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
This anime is pretty tense and epic. It's kinda disappointing how everyone is scheming behind Nobunaga's back though. Now that even the tea master is getting into the politics, it somewhat feels like this is just another series about Japanese history and its famous warlords after all.

That's not really to put anything against the series; this is the first time actually I've watched anything with these famous characters and about this period, so it's definitely got me hooked and I will be enjoying and following this. Still, however, that makes this show seem a bit less unique and original than the premise and people's impressions had given me the impression of. That is not a loss for me personally; however at the same time I guess it also makes this anime's evidently limited popularity somewhat understandable.
Blog post (episode 4):

I understand the point you're making, but I think the politics and the aestheticism are inseparable in this series - indeed, I think that's largely the point. Even in terms of the "familiar" parts of the show - dealing with the famous names like Oda and Hideyoshi and their power games - the series takes a radically different approach than any other series I've seen.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-21, 14:35   Link #59
Ghostfriendly

If Nobunaga had heard of Julius Ceasar, he would probably have thought twice about refusing to repeal a banishment. Or rather, even if he did know where Ceasar's ambition ended up, he would keep on following his star in any case, which is the point of the play.

Spoiler for ep 5:

In the same context, Sasuke reminds me more of Falstaff, someone completely upfront about his numerous flaws who seeks advancement unashamedly (though Falstaff drinking tea is a rather unlikely image).

I really like the subtle dialogue in this series; it seem very much about personalities rather than history. Actually I also like the effort being put into different costumes; fitting enough when the characters are having to adopt different faces in various situations (Pink with spots was a bit of a fashion crime in ep 4 though).
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-21, 15:47   Link #60
cyth
Banned

I got the feeling that Sasuke doesn't have a master, he has his trio of Gods, and that will determine who his master is going to be. Hashiba won't have much of a problem swaying his loyalty, with Soueki on board now. Either way, I don't think he's a coward.

Regarding Hashiba, when he started crying, I thought to myself that this guy is one true sociopath. Turns out his ambition tops that...
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
historical, tea