AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-11-03, 17:00   Link #221
LKK

Does anyone know when the series is set? In the Western "Jesuit" calendar, please.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-03, 18:03   Link #222
Ansalem
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
Does anyone know when the series is set? In the Western "Jesuit" calendar, please.
I can't recall them specifically saying in the show and I haven't read the manga, but I would guess somewhere around the late 19th century. It's supposed to be an alternate past anyway though, isn't it?
Old 2010-11-03, 18:34   Link #223
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansalem View Post
I can't recall them specifically saying in the show and I haven't read the manga, but I would guess somewhere around the late 19th century. It's supposed to be an alternate past anyway though, isn't it?
Yes, it's supposed to be an alternate past. I was curious mostly because of the Western clothes the girls wore to the ball. I was wondering if they were wearing corsets and bustles; the twins in particular. They seemed especially S-curvy in some of their profile stances, more than they usually do when wearing kimonos. Too bad we didn't have any dressing scenes. I would have loved to see Zakuro's reaction to wearing corsets and bustles. I bet it was quite a struggle to get her to wear those unmentionables.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-03, 18:55   Link #224
Arya

Ok, I have to say that this is the first series where I don't care about the plot at all. They are really adorable, so I don't care . I don't know who I prefer even if Susukihotaru and Rikuen in few seconds and a double thanks win this episode
I love the song too.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-03, 20:18   Link #225
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Kimono tend to de-emphasize curves. The Victorian dresses were darn near abusive in comparison in compressing the waistline and pushing up the bust.

The Jesuits came to Japan in the early 1500s... but the presence of "jesuit culture" in what is clearly 1880s Victorian clothing and technology imply an alternate history where the Jesuits were not expelled (late 1500s) but kept slowly increasing their influence on Japanese culture (the importation of euro-culture slowly shoving the Shinto kami into oblivion, at least in the cities).

Last edited by Vexx; 2010-11-04 at 10:07.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-05, 00:51   Link #226
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
In fact, the evil masked guy in the opening is Hanadate, isn't he? Sure looks like him to me. I bet he'll end up being the main villain of the series.
I don't think so. First, the mask villain has hair colour that's slightly more blond/lighter than Hanadate's hair colour. Also, Hanadate slightly blushed with smitten when he saw the black widow woman. It's not a reaction you'd expect if he already knows her. I say the mask villain has yet to show himself.

The second time I saw Hanadate, I instantly didn't like him. He's too smooth a talker, which immediately rang a warning bell in my head - so it's not surprising to see him get lured away by a more seductive woman like the black widow.

I love how Agemaki came to Zakuro's rescue. The way he handled that situation really showed how competent and smart he is, and how much of a better man/soldier he is compared to Hanadate, really. Now Agemaki just needs to overcome his phobia and he's good.

I was a bit irritated how Zakuro left Agemaki hanging like that while she danced with Hanadate and then later seeks comfort in him when she needs it. Although she probably isn't doing this to him consciously but I feel bad for Agemaki.

Dang, the twin's chant is just awesome. I so love that song - had to replay that part just to listen to it again. I can't wait to hear it when they release it on CD later.

Riken's and Hotaru's relationship is blossoming beautifully. I'd consider them the beautiful couple of the 3. Zakuro and Agemaki is the strong couple; and the twins and Ganryu is the cute couple(s).

[/TH][/TR][/table]
PreSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-06, 06:06   Link #227
Zome.qq
「Assault sniper 」

Send a message via ICQ to Zome.qq
some avatars :
Old 2010-11-06, 10:58   Link #228
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
Ok, I have to say that this is the first series where I don't care about the plot at all. They are really adorable, so I don't care . I don't know who I prefer even if Susukihotaru and Rikuen in few seconds and a double thanks win this episode
I love the song too.
Aye! Plot be damned when you have pairings as loveable as these!

Twins won me over in a big way this episode...Rather silly of me to have not thought they would contain this amount of depth hidden behind their usual silly behavior considering what the show has shown us so far...Shame on me.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-06, 17:59   Link #229
kitten320

I also have a feeling that Hanadate will end up as villian later.

Anyway sries are starting to progress what makes them more enjoyable now.
Old 2010-11-06, 18:56   Link #230
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Was just thinking back to that scene when Riken and Hotaru was fighting that girl. I almost feared that Hotaru was going to get stabbed by the girl when she ran after her and grabbed her.

On another note, I wonder what Zakuro's reaction will be when she notices Hanadate dangling in that black widow's web? I think the black widow intentionally went after Hanadate because Zakuro is smitten with him.

[/TH][/TR][/table]
PreSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-06, 20:07   Link #231
Arya

I got curious, I usually skip OPs, and I have to say the masked guy seems to be hanadate. Plus, in any case, he looks suspicious. His eyes are suspicious. In this last ep. each time he said something to Zakuro he closed his eyes to re-open them once he ended a sentence. He was surely lying Ah, he was not killed by the spider woman, and ok that she hasn't had the time to do it, but nobody cared about him at the end of the ep, and even if I agree with you that banbori conditions were the most important thing at that time, it looks like strange at least. Ok, end of my speculations
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-06, 21:50   Link #232
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

1. I like how quickly this show got to giving the characters depth, basically showing that they give a fuck about them at all.

2. Zakuro with her hair down is absurdly sexy.

3. Seriously, everything in this show SHOULD annoy the fuck out of me. 'Singing during the fighting scenes', the stereotypes for each of the girls, the romance, but it doesn't. Not even slightly, I'm really enjoying it.

4. Also, best twins ever. Seriously.

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Master Chibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-06, 22:30   Link #233
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

D'aw, all of the girls were adorable here, not sure whose outfit I liked the best but I now want to make all of them.

And add to to the "Hanadate=villian in the OP" camp (if it's not him then I'm betting it's a brother of his, actually, was I the only one whose wondered if Hanadate and Amegaki are related?). The show is really growing on me, wasn't expecting to like it that much, and I'm sad to see that CR says it will be only 13 or so episodes long.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-07, 04:54   Link #234
octoberasian
Baka Gaijin :P
*IT Support

A friend suggested I watch this since I'm only watching Amagami, Panty and Stocking, and Ore no Imouto this season, and I was looking for something in-between them. This anime fits the bill. I thoroughly enjoyed all five episodes and anxiously awaiting episode 6 now. Japanese history and culture fascinates me a lot and seeing how there are references to them in this anime, I quickly took a liking to it. I've done three research papers on Japan-- two in high school, one in college-- so I recognize a lot of the historical references in this name. Also, some of the spirits remind me of the ones from "Spirited Away" in some manner; similar.

I love how the characters interact with each other and their personalities. I've taken a liking to "Susuki" (shortened her name due to length^^). She's rather cute and timid. Zakuro is my second favorite character and then the twins. (Ganryuu is such a lucky bastard. *grumble, grumble* >_>)

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zome.qq View Post
some avatars :
Looks like it hasn't been taken, but I'll use this as a new avatar. ^^
(Thank you.)
octoberasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-07, 09:34   Link #235
Zome.qq
「Assault sniper 」

Send a message via ICQ to Zome.qq
I personally, immediately thought that Hanadate villain. For his appearance and behavior, this role fits just perfect!I also like how the Japanese mythology handed.

Quote:
Looks like it hasn't been taken, but I'll use this as a new avatar. ^^
(Thank you.)
You're welcome , if you like it can take , I do not mind ))

Last edited by Zome.qq; 2010-11-07 at 10:09.
Zome.qq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-07, 13:56   Link #236
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Yeah, have to say the twins' chant in ep 5 got goosebumps going.

And yes, there's a lot of cliche in this series but the execution is so good I don't care.
Old 2010-11-08, 13:26   Link #237
Midonin
Last Engage

Spoiler for OYZ 06 - Let's Go Fly a Kite:
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-08, 13:34   Link #238
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Spoiler for Episode 06:
Old 2010-11-08, 19:47   Link #239
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

I have to say, the girl's backstories tend to really pull heartstrings. Kind of solidifies this show's position as my favourite of the season - I find what separates the greats from the goods is how moved I am.

Like Midonin, I'm wonder what backstory Susukihotaru might contribute - I imagine her power may feature prominently. I suspect the main reason we haven't heard from her yet is that she's the quiet one and she just recently revealed another secret to Riken - she may need to space things out.

I'm really hoping that we get a decent ending from this given the episode count. Also, LOL at Zakuro trying to hide her ears in the preview...

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-08, 20:37   Link #240
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Spoiler for Episode 06:
Spoiler for Episode 6:

Tags
fantasy, seinen