AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2003-11-07, 20:48   Link #21
Kensuke

In Noir there was intense firefights in almost every episode, with multiple opponents, so althought there are similarities between these series, GSG clearly focuses more in drama and characters.
I'm not complaining if someone wants to discuss about weapons used in the series, I have also been in army, but if this kind of discussion upsets somebody, maybe we should have separate threads...

I hope coming episodes focus also the other girls. (most likely they will)

Episode 3 was so sad... to make it so predictable just increased the angst...
But still, I'm waiting atleast one episode where all or almost all girls work as a team.
Kensuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-07, 23:41   Link #22
Aquillion

I like how they spend so much time getting every detail on every shade of the guns correct -- then have the girls pile out of a pizza delivery truck carrying violin cases. Gee, that's non-conspicuous. I bet when people hear that there was a murder in the building, nobody will remember the strange pizza delivery truck from a company that doesn't exist driven by a guy with sunglasses and full of people in suits that was waiting outside the building for fifteen minutes to, apparently, let a young girl deliver a violin-shaped pizza.
Aquillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-08, 19:16   Link #23
ElvenPath
a step away from heaven

Wasn't there news like GSG was licensed?
Old 2003-11-08, 19:26   Link #24
Thany
Unfair

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_R
Unrelated note, I thought my internet connection had died while I was out yesterday - winny hadn't found a single 04 raw. Checked the website to find that 04 is on next week... I hope it doesn't turn out to be a fortnightly show...
Well it seems according to Kanna of The Triad the EP4 has been reported of one week.
Old 2003-11-08, 20:15   Link #25
Sour-Do

Send a message via ICQ to Sour-Do Send a message via AIM to Sour-Do Send a message via MSN to Sour-Do Send a message via Yahoo to Sour-Do
Quote:
Originally Posted by AST
Wasn't there news like GSG was licensed?
As far as I know, only the manga has been announced as licensed, by ADV. The first volume is due out on November 18. Here's a link to RightStuf's online store, in case you want to purchase it:

http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/cat...em/60917/4/0/0

I've already put in my pre-order for the manga. And if the anime ever gets licensed (hopefully also by ADV), I'll buy the DVDs too. But I hope there won't be any announcements made until after the last episode is fansubbed. I would hate to have to wait a year to complete this series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensuke
In Noir there was intense firefights in almost every episode, with multiple opponents, so althought there are similarities between these series, GSG clearly focuses more in drama and characters.
Funny thing about Noir is that none of the firefights (that I can remember) had any blood. Lots of people got shot and died, but no blood. I'm glad that GSG kept the blood, so I wouldn't be constantly distracted by the lack of it as I was with Noir.

-- Sour-Do
AnimeMuyou!
Sour-Do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-08, 22:22   Link #26
Relentless
Certifiably insane

Well, I'm not upset, and I do acknowledge that the guns discussion was relevant to GSG, it just started to sound like it was the only remarkable theme. I mean, it's not like we're talking about a "Task Force Blue" or "Rainbow Six" anime (BTW, that would be very cool!)

So far, the anime faithfully adapts the manga, and adds a few scenes of their own which IMO nicely add to the story. OTOH, the manga is bloodier. I'd be happy if they keep adapting the manga. It really focuses on the characters, not the action. And the action there is, it's like we have seen so far (the way I like it): brief and intense.

I have seen little comment on the music. I don't like the ending song a lot, but I really worship "The Light Before We Land". I have not liked an anime song this much since the days of Bana's "Shell" (the indescribably cool Witch Hunter Robin opening). It's so hauntingly beautiful, and I'm amazed at how well it suits the mood of this anime, both lyrics and music. When the words go "If we can hold on we can fix what is wrong, Buy a little time, For this head of me" and we see Henrietta crying, then smiling and the other girls appear, it leaves a very moving, even powerful, impression. Like if there's still a bit of hope for those poor girls forced to live such a bleak life.

--Kensuke
One of the reasons why I got bored with Noir: After I realized the girls had James Bond levels of invulnerability and there was never going to be real consequences to all that violence. It was like the "A-Team", only this time there were deads (but still, no blood).

--Aquillion
That was fun! Maybe Italy, being the pizza's birthplace, has pizzas in all kind of shapes not seen anywhere? But I think only Henrietta hides her gun in a violin case. What is Triela seen using to conceal her rifle, a drafstman's rule case?

--Sour-Do
I also hope we have a chance to see the complete series fansubbed. But with the comments about having foreign financers plus the manga being licensed already plus the delays the broadcasting is taking, my hopes are very, very low...
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-08, 22:37   Link #27
aquilus
Dismember!

Quote:
Originally Posted by koki_2706
This example is further supported by the fact that in cs, the P90 cannot shoot through doors, walls or even wooden boxes...
Please, do not use CS as an example in situations like these.
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_R
Gun realism takes a backseat to artistic license. It wouldn't be as exciting if Henrietta could just shoot people through wooden obstacles.
Precisely. And to be honest, at least I donīt really care.
aquilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-09, 00:47   Link #28
K_R
also known as K!

On another note on gun realism is sound suppressed guns, or "silenced guns". I don't think I've ever seen a show where a suppressed gun has been portrayed realistically. They don't make a whoosh sound and nothing else. Especially with Rico's CZ75, you would hear a very audible click from the slide mechanism and the sound would be more of a quieter bang.

Rico also uses a violin case.

Triela's case reminds of the thing you might pack a fishing rod into ;)

As for the anime following the manga, I think episode 2 was just an offshoot to explore henrietta's relationship with jose more and that the rest of show will follow the manga (here's hoping).

With the opening theme, I wouldn't call it anime music, since the song was made before the anime was planned. But the creators did do a fantastic job of finding a very appropriate song for it. Although I think the third stanza, after chorus, would be more appropriate...

Before we let euphoria
Convince us we are free
Remind us how we used to feel
Before when life was real

And to those that have read the manga, do you get the feeling that there might be a GSG season 2 in the future? The manga doesn't "end", it feels like there could be at least one more volume...
K_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-09, 01:41   Link #29
Evan
天使我爱你

Talking

To tell the truth,i like this anime very much GS is over cos i like gun action alot,and the story was line was good.every character wasslowly being introduced and i think this 13 ep story will end with the 5 girls together taking on a misssion (may b they all might die in the end?)
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-09, 06:23   Link #30
Kensuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless
Well, I'm not upset, and I do acknowledge that the guns discussion was relevant to GSG, it just started to sound like it was the only remarkable theme. I mean, it's not like we're talking about a "Task Force Blue" or "Rainbow Six" anime (BTW, that would be very cool!)
I quess as soon as new episode comes out there will be more discussions about characters and story (that depends greatly what kind of episode next one will be). And remember that all previous discussions were removed.
Heh, Tom Clancy -style anime would be cool, especially if they used all kind of equipment and draw them accurately, attack helicopters, fighter jets and tanks. Like that Hind-gunship in Full Metal Panic! (yeah, yeah, it would be expensive anime).

Quote:
One of the reasons why I got bored with Noir: After I realized the girls had James Bond levels of invulnerability and there was never going to be real consequences to all that violence. It was like the "A-Team", only this time there were deads (but still, no blood).
I agree, I hate shows were "hero" is invulnerable, but funny thing is that I never thought that when I watched Noir, I really don't know why, maybe that Mireille and Kirika were controlled (Altena was my least favorite character). But total lack of blood annoyed me too.
Kensuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-09, 17:48   Link #31
Aquillion

Quote:
Er, but...
Major Noir spoiler below.

Spoiler:
Old 2003-11-09, 18:57   Link #32
ElvenPath
a step away from heaven

If you guys are like looking for gun realism, just go see S.W.A.T
Old 2003-11-09, 21:57   Link #33
Go-lytely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquillion
Er, but...
Major Noir spoiler below.

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

I heard a rumor that ADV was in negotiations for a Noir sequel. I hope its not true.
Go-lytely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-10, 01:11   Link #34
Relentless
Certifiably insane

--Aquillion
But still, no blood

--Kensuke
I'm waiting with held breath and cramped gut for the next episode. When I read it was delayed I almost threw my monitor by the window... and it's 21". Guess I'm getting a little obsessed

The only kind of invulnerable heroes I like are those who have a goofy side, like Super Agent Cobra's namesake, City Hunter's Ryo Saeba and Trigun's Vash.

--K_R
Obviously Hollywood thinks the sound of real shots is not "photogenic" enough. It's like sound in space: realism takes a back seat to artistic license.

Rico has a blocky, squared case in episode 3, like a thick laptop case. Most instruments have a case that is oddly shaped. Why did she take that case with (I guess) her gun when she was just checking the place? Her Dragunov couldn't fit in and it is not the adequate weapon for that kind of mission. Even I know that

BTW, is everybody sure Triela's gun is a rifle? On the cover of chapter 3 it's clearly a shotgun.

Well, "Buy a little time/For this head of me" could refer to the brainwashing, and I like the "If we can hold on we can fix what is wrong" bit best. Like in the future, Henrietta might have hope of a more normal life with Jose's help. I don't think for a moment this story will have a happy ending, mind you.

I'm confused, are there only two manga volumes? I thought GSG was still running in the Dengeki monthly or weekly and more volumes/books will be compiled when there's more material. <panicking> It can't end at chapter 11!! There would not be enough even for a 13 episodes season!!

Last edited by Relentless; 2003-11-10 at 01:43.
Old 2003-11-10, 01:17   Link #35
Aquillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go-lytely
Spoiler:

I heard a rumor that ADV was in negotiations for a Noir sequel. I hope its not true.
Spoiler:
As for the no blood thing, the director said that that was an artistic choice on his part -- he felt that excessive blood made the violence exploitive or some such thing. Well, I don't know how cutting all the blood out would make it any less exploitive, but anyway, that's why Noir only uses it in a few crucial scenes.
Old 2003-11-10, 04:52   Link #36
K_R
also known as K!

--Relentless

I don't know what Rico's case would be for, but judging from the name on the case, I think it's some violin type instrument. Then again, it might not be a reference to the Amati violinmakers...

Don't forget that Rico was using a Galil MAR at the range, so that could be the weapon hidden in her case. It's a very small assault rifle and would be a good fit for the case.

Triela's signature weapon is a Winchester M1897 shotgun, "trench" variant. I have info for it, but am waiting for her to shoot someone with it before I tack it onto an episode.

Only two compiled volumes: http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/...562673-3309959

But, there is more being made. On Aida Yu's website:
コミック「電撃大王」にて「GUNSLINGER GIRL」を連載中9/20発売11月号に第14話が掲載されました。

14 chapters so far, 13-episode series... I guess they could merge chapters together to fit the whole story in 13 episodes. Or do a Gainax and make up an ending...
K_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-10, 22:16   Link #37
Relentless
Certifiably insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_R
--Relentless

Only two compiled volumes: http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/...562673-3309959

But, there is more being made. On Aida Yu's website:
コミック「電撃大王」にて「GUNSLINGER GIRL」を連載中9/20発売11月号に第14話が掲載されました。

14 chapters so far, 13-episode series... I guess they could merge chapters together to fit the whole story in 13 episodes. Or do a Gainax and make up an ending...
Ah, thank you. Although I don't know if it's a relief since the anime is going to be 13 episodes anyways

As much as I'd like a second season and more, I don't believe it's or it'll be popular enough. But Divergence Eve got a second season, so who knows

The two compiled volumes could be made into 10 or 11 episodes (chapters 10-11 are rather short). They're stand alone stories, no major arch or overarching plot. Then in the last couple of episodes they would probably make up an ending. I hope it's at least decent. There was a time when almost all anime told a complete story, with a satisfying ending. But then, most series were 50+ episodes.

We only need about 2-3 chapters more and there'll be another volume. One's hoping it'll have Triela on the cover

As I said earlier, I'll be happy with a faithful manga adaptation. I'm clawing at the wall waiting for episode 4 since it *should* adapt chapter 3, followed by chapter 6. I have great fondness for Triela, and the firing range scene is amusing (yet still full of tragic undertones). Chapter 8 is my all time favorite, tho. It's going to be very beautiful.

In the old forum, it was said that Triela had a rifle, a German-made G3?

With no new material, I'm poring at episode 3, and these caught my eye:

Rico is waay too bad a shot with the Galil at the firing range considering that she's the team's sniper and has been at least two years "working" for the organization, don't you think?

Also at the firing range, Hilscher's instructions to Triela seemed really basic, did he think it was her first time shooting?

Regarding the organization's amazing tactical prowess, did those clowns really, really believe they were going to fool anybody disguising little girls as maids? Sure, posh hotels hire elemental schoolers all time. Italy must have some weird Children's Labor laws, huh?

This made me speculate (an idle mind is a scary thing!) about the girls age:

We know Claes was at least 10 y-o before being taken in by the organization. Claes look about the same age as Rico, maybe a bit younger. We know Rico was taken in two years ago. In the violin scene, Rico and Henrietta were the same height, but in the manga Rico is taller. Angelica is taller than Henrietta too, but just slightly.

So I think Henrietta is about 8 (like Rico when she was taken in). Angelica should be just a little older, let's say 9. Claes may be 10 or 11, and Rico should be 10 or 11 too. Triela is the tallest and eldest, she should be 12 or 13 max. since it's pretty obvious all the girls are pre-pubescent.

So let's let this sink in for a bit: there's a secret organization doing political assasinations with brainwashed abandoned little girls aged from 8 to 12. I say the bastiches must be rounded up, stabbed in the gut with blunt rusted instruments and left to be eaten alive by African giant ants

Finally, I'm pretty sure GSG is set in the immediate present. Check the newspaper page the guy in front of Hilscher is reading in the hotel's lobby (0h18m18s). It says "Barcellona k.o. Ciao Van Gaal". Van Gaal was famous soccer club Barcelona FBC's coach and left around May 2003. Pretty neat, using real news

Last edited by Relentless; 2003-11-10 at 23:15.
Old 2003-11-11, 07:20   Link #38
burukame

I was wondering which fansubs has the best translation or just overall for Gunslinger Girls? There are so many fansub groups (Triad, Aone, Seichi, Anbu) releasing it and I'm not sure which one to download.. = I Thank you!!
burukame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-11, 10:54   Link #39
NenMaster

why not download a couple and judge your self?
NenMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-11, 11:20   Link #40
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_R
「電撃大王」
Hey, I recognize those kanji. I guess I really did learn something from Azumanga Daioh!

Tags
action, drama, sci-fi, seinen