Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-06-19, 08:11   Link #1
Ansalem
Speaker

Manga Suggestions. Romance and supernatural

I am currently looking for suggestions for manga. I've watched much anime but only a bit of manga, which was pretty much all source materials for shows I've seen. So, I am mostly interested in manga (probably that has not, to date, been made into an anime). Finished and on-going are both fine.

For now, I'll try to narrow to two kinds.

I'd like a romance. Shows I've liked strongly: Clannad, Nodame Cantabile, Cross Game, Kanon, Kimi ni Todoke. I dislike giant, unresolved harems. Love triangles, drama, and the like is okay as long as the characters aren't completely filled with angst the entire series. Tsundere who are obviously in love with the male lead but do nothing but abuse him until the end of the series because she can't admit her love are also something I would like to avoid.

The other type I am looking for is more vague a category, but any kind of supernatural (or scifi) show that is somewhat serious (but doesn't have to be overtly so), can be slow paced, can have action but preferably is not an action show, has an element of mystery. Something like: Mushishi, Tatami Galaxy, Natsume Yuujinchou, Dennou Coil, Suzumiya Haruhi, Toki wo Kakeru Shojo, any Key game, Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica, Spice and Wolf, Eve no Jikan, the Ghibli movies, Bakemonogatari. That list is sort of all-over-the-place but hopefully it will give you an idea.

Sorry if I am being both overly vague and overly specific at the same time. So, although I listed mostly anime as examples, looking for manga only. My whole list is here if you'd like a better idea of my likes/dislikes. Thanks for any help!
Old 2012-06-19, 10:16   Link #2
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

Try Faster than a Kiss. It's about a high school girl and her little brother whose parents have passed away and they are passed on from one relative to another. Sick of it, she feels it is better that she stops schooling (she is not exactly an academic). Then her teacher discovers her intention and tries to persuade her but she jokingly asks him to marry her, which he agrees. An this is where the story truly begins. I like Kazuma, the hero cause he is considerate, helpful, caring, gentle,blablablabla. Fumino is a good heroine IMO, because while she is strong-willed, she has occasionally shown her weak side, which is more realistic than certain heroines who seem to have an unshaken iron resolve. I would say this manga is pretty light and not really heavy or dramatic.

Now, for a stronger title, I recommend Bitter Virgin. Daisuke Suwa is attracted to a girl in his high school, who has a dark secret. Once he discovers her secret, he finds himself falling for her. This manga is pretty heavy IMO because it deals with some pretty mature topics, such as abortion, rape, teen pregnancy.....This manga is finished and only 30 chapters long. Both the hero and heroine are not characters that would exactly make you go "Wow", cause they are ordinary. Yes, ordinary. This is what I like about them. They are not characters with exaggerated skills that seem to be the case for some romantic comedy titles. I was not impressed with them initially, but these two people slowly grew on me. About the ending, I am not sure if you will like it 100% but I will just say here beforehand that it is a realistic ending.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
Old 2012-06-19, 11:47   Link #3
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

I think I’ll suggest a title based on Spice and Wolf that you like.

It’s Maoyuu Maou Yuusha. I think it’s both romantic and supenatural in a way. It’s about a hero of the world assigned to slay the Demon Queen. But when the two met, due to the politic and economic circumstances, the Demon Queen ask the Hero to become hers by offering herself to the Hero (kinda like proposing, actually). This manga is still on-going but has great character development so far, it’s intelligent, funny, sweet and has some action too.

As for completed manga, I'll suggest you to read Onani Master Kurosawa. One of the hidden gem mangas out there. No, it's not hentai or overly perverted manga. I assure you, you will know the value of this manga after reading the 3 volumes it has .
Old 2012-06-19, 15:54   Link #4
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Try Immortal Rain. It has the romance and supernatural elements you're looking for plus the characters are loveable, and the story and premise is amazing.