AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-03-11, 04:20   Link #401
RunningTARGET
Bishoujo sweet!

I wouldn't say he's very indecisive (though maybe a little), but after eps 21 you can easly tell what his desires are. After all he was daydreaming what it would be like to be living Kiri. I found that quite funny, he even asked her out for christmas eve.

Spoiler for as for next weeks eps:
RunningTARGET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-11, 05:19   Link #402
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39
I guess the Elis ending won't happen - too bad, because she at least gets Hiroki to suck less and act less like a wuss.
This is where I'd reiterate my theory from earlier, and is why I think the anime's taking us down the path it is now. I think Elis has an important role to play in unlocking Hiroki's hang-ups and helping him move forward - just as him being there helped her move forward before. So, even though I think he's going to end up with Kiri romantically, the Elis path we're heading down now is very important for much the same reason you mentioned. I think it's an interesting blend of the two endings from the game (obviously, with its share of unique twists). It at least seems to me like a reasonable theory, anyway.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-11, 08:54   Link #403
zgmf-x19a
Divine Gundam Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furudanuki
Whether or not Elis has an Electra complex would be open for debate, but it appears that Elis is beginning to admit to herself that Hiroki considers himself to be filling a parental role where she is concerned. Episode 20 - Elis to Hiroki at the supper table: "You sound like a father instead of an oniichan right now."

Until now she was still fawning all over her brother in episode 21 she said "I can't fawn on oniichan any more" "I need to take care of this by myself" it may suggest that she is trying to grow out of this infatuation and about episode 20 "You sound like a father instead of an annichan right now" She sounds playful yet disapointed no?
zgmf-x19a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-11, 10:20   Link #404
MonkeyBrains
It's what's for dinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
Someone needs a hug

.... seriously I'm a bit disappointed because up to this point I've been real fond of Hiroki as a "finally different" lead.... hoping he's not just sitting on his ass waiting for Kiri to beg.

I really hope he doesn't just completely become an ass the way Rin did in Shuffle!
(and not because of the girl he chose but because of the results of his action/inaction on just about every single other person in that series).

I'd really like to add some people to the ranks of Rentarou (Fut Alt) and hopefully Kenta (Karin) as the few anime romance guys with a clue.
The REC guy isn't doing too bad so far... and the young guy in that Han-Tsuki short series did well overall.
I couldn't agree more. Hiroki had seemed like a different lead. He doesn't have every female in the show romantically interested in him, just Kiri and Elis, and he had seemed to not be completely oblivious in the beginning, even telling Elis how he felt (or didn't, so to speak, in episode 10), so he wasn't leading her on throughout the series. But his recent oblviousness towards Kiri was a little frustrating, although he did seem to get his act together this episode. Hopefully he doesn't start waffling again in episode 22... This will be his chance to actually stand up for Kiri, because she's going to feel pretty guilty. Hopefully he won't blow it.

Although in many ways, Elis has been even more frustrating. She was rejected pretty straightforwardly in episode 10, but she seems to be acting... I don't want to use the word "selfish", because I don't think that's quite right, but I honestly can't think of anything else.
MonkeyBrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-11, 13:06   Link #405
Ryusei

What i really find annoying is that everyone in the show is basically trying to make Hiroki feel like a bad guy for beginning to want his own life.
Elis is getting more and more irritating... i really wonder how can people like her. She really looks like just a spoiled kid to me.
Ryusei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-11, 20:21   Link #406
AmamiYui

Just caught up with the latest ep, and the KGNE thingy at the end of it is very unneeded and feels somewhat forced. And if you compare Hiroki to other male leads like Takayuki or Rin, Hiroki is WAY better than almost all of them. Keep that in mind please before you go all out in bashing him.

AmamiYui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-11, 21:42   Link #407
tun
lolwut
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmamiYui
Just caught up with the latest ep, and the KGNE thingy at the end of it is very unneeded and feels somewhat forced. And if you compare Hiroki to other male leads like Takayuki or Rin, Hiroki is WAY better than almost all of them. Keep that in mind please before you go all out in bashing him.

Beautiful pic. It's now my new background.
Old 2006-03-12, 06:16   Link #408
Circular Logic
土は幻に
*Fansubber

I by no means intend to turn this into a discussion about KgNE, but Hiroki is a few notches below Takayuki, in my opinion. Takayuki was stuck between two courses, unable to choose either. Hiroki's just doing nothing. This show is refreshingly non-harem, but it's TOO DAMN SLOW! I'm sick of 15+ episodes of nothing really happening
Circular Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-12, 11:50   Link #409
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

How... did people ever watch Seinfeld? (ref: a show about nothing)
Old 2006-03-12, 16:17   Link #410
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

episode 22 raw

This is now my favorite episode of all. The way people's feelings are conveyed is just sugoi.
Spoiler for ep22:
Huge kudos to Nazuka Kaori (Erisu), and especially to the (now it can be said) great Takahashi Mikako (Tomoko).

And note the rather simple but well-drawn eyecatches: according to the end credits, the one of Erisu was done by Nazuka Kaori (the seiyuu who plays her), and the one of Kiri by Nabatame Hitomi (ditto):
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2006-03-13 at 01:40.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-12, 22:55   Link #411
MonkeyBrains
It's what's for dinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo
This is now my favorite episode of all. The way people's feelings are conveyed is just sugoi.
Spoiler for ep22:
Huge kudos to Nazuka Kaori (Erisu), and especially to the (now it can be said) great Takahashi Mikako (Tomoko).

And note the rather simple but well-drawn eyecatches: according to the end credits, the one of Erisu was done by Nazuka Kaori (the seiyuu who plays her), and the one of Kiri by Nabatame Hitomi (ditto).
I found this episode to be a little pointless. It was material that I thought was already dealt with in episode 10-12.

It was good to see Hiroki comfort Kiri, without him needing to know more details, though. And Tomoko's part was interesting too, highlighting the friendships between the characters.
Old 2006-03-13, 02:37   Link #412
DanielSong39

Disappointed is the only term I can use for the past few episodes - I've decided to drop the series.
DanielSong39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-13, 03:13   Link #413
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm still reasonably satisfied... you want maximum annoyance I can name a few other series... but it does seem like they wasted a few episodes of air time that they could have spent either deepening the characters or if naught else giving us some good sidestories with the rest of the gang.

Once again, chalk it up to a writing team inability to really flesh out a story arc.
However... they *could* have Ichigo/Shuffle/<insert massive writing belch> 'd it and ruined it. So depending on the end, I'll probably give the series a B+.

edit : I really do like the idea of the eyecatches being done by the voice actors. Its really too bad the system is set up the way it is -- makes it kind of difficult to just punt some money at them directly if you like their work.
Old 2006-03-13, 03:59   Link #414
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Well. The fact that I liked Elis much more than Kiri is a minus, considering how the series is probably going to end. But I have to agree with Vexx, even up to now, Canvas is better than Shuffle and the like. And at least it can be successfully argued that Kiri was the natural choice, unlike some other shows where the writers just HAD to support a particular girl. Oh well, Canvas is still fairly enjoyable but I doubt I'll watch it again.
Old 2006-03-13, 06:25   Link #415
MonkeyBrains
It's what's for dinner

Hmmm... Really, there's no point in dropping the series if you've lasted until episode 22. Even if you're tied to a particular character and are dissappointed in who Hiroki may end up with (I still do not feel 100% that it's Kiri, but definitely high 90's). I would think you'd feel obligated to at least wait until the end and then say "How could they do this! There is no god! I renounce my religion..." I keep thinking that's what I'll be doing at the end.

I still like the series. But the first half felt a little more solid in terms of a plot arc. That might have to do with the fact that I watched the first 10 episodes almost in a row since I first became interested in this series at about that point.

Having said that, depending on how the last few episodes go, it may carry through and create a coherrent overall impression. My perspective is a little messed up because of the games, and because I keep waiting for the ending, as opposed to looking only at what's going on in an episode...
Old 2006-03-13, 16:28   Link #416
DanielSong39

I haven't played the game, but I'm starting to get the feeling that game version of Kiri and the show version of Kiri are two entirely different animals.

A bit surprised we haven't seen more outraged Kiri fans - the anime certainly doesn't do her proper justice.
DanielSong39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-13, 18:06   Link #417
MonkeyBrains
It's what's for dinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39
I haven't played the game, but I'm starting to get the feeling that game version of Kiri and the show version of Kiri are two entirely different animals.

A bit surprised we haven't seen more outraged Kiri fans - the anime certainly doesn't do her proper justice.
Actually, I'm not that surprised no one else makes any comparisons, and I'm not surprised no one is outraged. Probably few here have bothered to play the game. Even if they did, the anime and game are very different beasts. It's like apples and oranges, you know? Actually, really, all of the characters are quite different in the game versus the anime. And, with the exception of a few plot points, almost every event in the game is different from the anime and vice versa. Example - in the game, Kiri never confesses again as an adult like she did in ep 20 (I won't even go into the details of how Yanagi fits into it). The Elis confession in episode 9/10? That's at the very end of the game (and Hiroki either accepts or rejects her depending on the ending).

I actually like Kiri more in the anime, mostly because I think her voice actress is better in the anime. And, I really liked the events that occurred in the anime with Kiri compared to the events that occurred in the game (the first half in particular - the summer outing, the night festival, and then the hot springs much later). The events in the game aren't as interesting, for any character (probably because, as is typical for these games, its mostly told in text with very few, if any, dynamic visuals). One shortcoming to the anime might be that I think the KirixHirokixYanagi backstory is handled better in the Innocent Colors fandisc (probably because it's so much longer).

However, more importantly, the whole choice to paint again is the critical scene in the game. And that hasn't occurred in the anime yet, so it's even more difficult to compare. Or get outraged
Old 2006-03-13, 18:15   Link #418
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I've come to the observation that anime/manga/games of any particular property (like Canvas 2) are like some massive feedback omake of each other. The creative owners just don't seem to have the "continuity" restrictive blocks that fans (particularly Western fans) have.
So you may have a particularly tragic character dancing and acting the clown in a radio CD ... or a game story arc never even appearing in an anime. Or rewriting the anime so it confuses anyone who's ever even thumbed the manga. Or changing character personalities in extreme cases.

Its very strange and tends to leave one in a state of disassociative cognition.
("yes... I see four lights!" "we've always been at war with Oceania")

Finally got to sit down and watch ep 21 .... I thought it was well done. Quite a lot of dialog to cover people's feelings and such... thought it was interesting that the actual scene on the roof was not explicitly shown --- we figure it out from all the after-events. Reminded me of Megatokyo's "in between" philosophy.

Some minus points for the end credit preview mitigating the climax event .... they could have left much darker implications.

Once again the Hagino-Hiroki conversations are precious ... she is a quirky lightning fast little wit.
And... Tomoko's dialog has foreboding sorts of foreshadowing with respect to her life.

Last edited by Vexx; 2006-03-13 at 19:59.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-13, 22:40   Link #419
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Spoiler:
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-13, 22:56   Link #420
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyz
Spoiler:
Spoiler for eps21-22:
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, drama, eroge, f&c, kadokawa, romance, school life, seinen, slice of life, zexcs