AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2007-01-03, 12:18   Link #21
Fome

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
Ah, the one hit kill move. What's the chance of you actually killing someone... especially with a tooth floss wire. The chance of that is very slim to none, to have an encounter with someone worth staining your hands for.

Long long time ago martial arts use to a means to harmonize oneself with nature and surrounding (talking about the origin of Chinese martial arts then spawning into Japanese arts and the rest of world killing techniques). It was a peaceful teaching for better health and living but now with the UFC and all those other competition it has become a gladiator tournament for entertainment.
Nah, Martial Arts were always designed for fighting. The spiritual aspect came later when buddhist philosophy became mixed in, which was later followed by taoist philosophy.
Fome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-03, 13:08   Link #22
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Ah, the one hit kill move. What's the chance of you actually killing someone... especially with a tooth floss wire. The chance of that is very slim to none, to have an encounter with someone worth staining your hands for.
i know, somehow my ad forced me to learn several things.. lemme tell you how things went in Indonesia.. piss someone off and see them walking to the trunk of their car you should start running because thats when they grap their huge knife they use to chop bushes out of their way in the rain forest to kill you.. basicly saying my dad went to rough stuff and feels its important to know such things about his time, just like the part where he taught me how to roast tarantula's and how to catch snakes.. here in holland the only spidr youll ever catch is the size of a grape.. but heck.. main point was that i know how to defend myself in case somehting happens, my neighbourhood is pretty rough you see..

probably the main reason for martial arts is so i can ventelate all my stress and anger, i used to be teased tons when i was a kid, from kinder garden to my 2nd year in highschool, count a incest problem on it and a maniac sister who almost made my parents go into divorce and youll have me.. basicly saying if i snap.. you should start running.. ive had numerous problems with psychiatry before i did martial arts.. i even stabbed one with a pen cause he pissed me off with his questions.. though i hardly remember those times but when i hear about it i go O.O; , it slowlly came into change when a turned my whole life around, id id martial arts, leard about respect the indonesian way and it kinda paid off though.. the teasing stopped when some kid eventually tried to kick me down some stairs at school.. i snapped turned around punched him, took him in a head lock and almost drowned him in a deep puddle of mud.. though i had excuse myself to the parents.. was suspended for several days but heck i got my reputation as a freak and people left me alone
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-03, 16:19   Link #23
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:

I don't consider my neighborhood rough even though my childhood was surrounded with constant fights but that's just kids having fun. It's healthy for kids to get bruises and bumps, makes them stronger. When I was ten I was fending off eleven people (the most people I had to fight at once in my entire life... so far) at the same time getting drag through dirt and mud. But that's life for you, and life isn't fair. Another time I was robbed for a nickel... 5 cent.

he he i dont think getting rocks thrown at your head on a weekly basis just because people think they die when you touch em isnt anything normal
by rough i mean, theres loads of dangerous people around, doing drugs and such and i bring around mail during the day, i do cathalogs and telephone books for old ladies and such alike and used to bring around in one of the most dangerous neighbourhoods in my town, i see people deal drugs and types of people you can only look at once before they shout at you for looking again, though when i was young i hardly fought with people, i always locked myself up at home because i never had friends and everyone wuld throw rocks at me or call me names, thus i am still a little socialphobic in times, but about 3 years ago i finally became friends with sevral people from my school and i was able to be myself, when you first see me youll think im shy, silent and a bookworm.. but heck thats seriously not what i am, a bookworm yes, but basicly saying i live in my own world and make up wacky theories about everything and make people laugh, martial arts learned me to be myself, the first friend i ever mae that changed everything around was my doggie my mom took me to a farm where they had 16 labrador rotweiler crossings and i just fell in love with one dog from sight, took him home, taught him everything and we became buddies, simply said my dog was the first one that stood up for me, when i was around 12 i was befriend with this 18 year old guy who wanted to sleep with me, i was almost taken to his house unwillingly untill i yelled and my dog bit him right between the legs, followed by some of my punches the dude was KO XD ill never forget that, basicly it was the first time i had ever punched someone outside the dojo
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-03, 16:55   Link #24
Fome

The way I see it, martial arts as a killing method is no longer viable in a civilized world. At least where I'm from, you can't just kill people without facing trial and jail time. This makes the most effective movements in many styles just pointless. Nor is it really viable as "self defense," because the act of defending oneself violently is prone to causing backlashes out of vengeance. The best defense is to avoid the confrontation altogether.

I see martial arts now more as exercise and sport, and above all, just something cool you can show people.
Fome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-04, 02:37   Link #25
Sankari

Self defence is double-edged sword. Atleast in here, if you are training martial arts, your hands and feet are considered weapons.

For example guy A attacks you who has had no martial art training, guy B(you) kick his ass and he gets injured, talks to the cops or in the hospital tells about you. Cops will come and most likely arrest you if he's badly injured, look your background, and in the worst case scenario, make you go in trial for beating someone up even if it was self defence. It would naturally be different if the situation really needed self defence, like a guy threatening you with a knife or gun and you couldn't run away.
Sankari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-04, 02:42   Link #26
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankari View Post
Self defence is double-edged sword. Atleast in here, if you are training martial arts, your hands and feet are considered weapons.

For example guy A attacks you who has had no martial art training, guy B(you) kick his ass and he gets injured, talks to the cops or in the hospital tells about you. Cops will come and most likely arrest you if he's badly injured, look your background, and in the worst case scenario, make you go in trial for beating someone up even if it was self defence. It would naturally be different if the situation really needed self defence, like a guy threatening you with a knife or gun and you couldn't run away.
Where do you live at, that your hands and feet must be registered as potentially deadly weapons? I thought that was just a Chuck Norris fact.

And the best self-defense is to run. Use your hands and feet to create some distance, then run like hell. I mean, if someone was trying to rob you and you managed to knock him down, why wouldn't you use the opportunity to escape? It's safer that way, as well -- you never know if the would-be assailant will pull out a knife next.
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-04, 03:07   Link #27
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papaya View Post
I do a full body workout twice times a day, one hour each time, with an additional hour of cardio (swimming, running, or climbing).
With resistance training, do a few sets of 8 x Max-10lb or so, and you'll gain bulk and weight in no time. Since you have a fast metabolism, I'm assuming you have a fast body recovery too.
That's not going to add any significant muscle mass at all.

You're describing how to build lean muscle, since you work out for apparently three hours a day. Plus, that's WAY overtraining.

To gain muscle mass, the generally accepted way is to use heavier weights.

But if you're starting out weightlifting, take it easy and go slow. Like in practicing martial arts, correct form is the most important. If you start on the bench press and strap too much weight onto it, you'll squirm your back around and likely end up hurting yourself, for example.

Start off slow, if you're a beginner use very light weights until you get used to the range of motion. Once you've got a fairly solid feel for where things are, consult someone smarter than me.

And most importantly, don't hit the gym every day. Give your body rest, so it can recover and rebuild itself. When you overexercise, your body can't recover. Start at one or two days a week, then move on to three or four. I'm aiming for five, but two of those days will be cardio-only, no touching weights.
Old 2007-01-04, 03:49   Link #28
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
I should've clarified. By 8 x Max-10lb, I meant 8 reps of 10 pounds less than your maximum, not a maximum of 10 lb.

It's probably overtraining for some people, but as I said, I have very fast recovery rate (I can hit max multiple times within 2 minutes of rest). I've gained 10 lbs of muscle mass since beginning that routine about 6 months ago.

I weigh 128 lb right now.

Bench: 170 lb (50 lb improvement)
Dip: 225 lb (100 lb improvement)
Bicep Curl: 45 lb per arm (25 lb improvement)
Chest Fly: 155 lb (90 lb improvement)

Also, gaining muscle mass doesn't require you to do heavy resistance. Some generalized numbers:
2-3 reps, 2-3 sets of max will give you strength.
6-8 reps, 4-5 sets of 80-80% will give you bulk.
10+ reps, 2-3 sets of 40-60% body weight will give you endurance.

With regards to overtraining again, I know some people who spend over 6 hours a day in the gym. Following standardized guidelines, I've found out, is a good way to start but not a good way to end. It's always best to figure out what's good for you by yourself.
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-04, 16:26   Link #29
Kvikveg

Hm. Martial arts.

Half year Sotokan, but it was not my case. It proved that I am able to run a few circles in the gym without dying.

Now Hapkido, I began it 2 years ago, but I am there only once a week, sometimes 0 times a week, so... I am still a beginner sort of. And I am getting now fed up because of several things. They are not serious problems, but enough to make me hesitate.

Aaand I just started Iaido and Jodo a few months ago. It is fun to do. SWORD in my hands. Ok, only made of wood.
Kvikveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-04, 22:31   Link #30
USB500
*facepalm.jpg*
*Author

Send a message via MSN to USB500 Send a message via Yahoo to USB500
Martial arts, eh?

Well, since I'm a Malaysian, I do silat -- more specificially, Silat Cekak Hanafi. I had joined one of the classes last year, before I quit (I didn't have the commitment needed, which was bad for me ).
USB500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-05, 04:04   Link #31
Sankari

Quote:
Originally Posted by raikage View Post
Where do you live at, that your hands and feet must be registered as potentially deadly weapons? I thought that was just a Chuck Norris fact.

And the best self-defense is to run. Use your hands and feet to create some distance, then run like hell. I mean, if someone was trying to rob you and you managed to knock him down, why wouldn't you use the opportunity to escape? It's safer that way, as well -- you never know if the would-be assailant will pull out a knife next.
Finland. Its really messed up in here sometimes with the laws, but the legal system works here (outside really light punishments). First timer can get out with murder in around 4 years usually. If the way the murder was done was really cruel, it could take 8-10 years however. 8-10 years is fine but 4 years because of murder is rather light IMO. Most of these guys murder again when they get out.

Running is always the best option but when you are out other options its time to defend yourself, there's nothing else you can do at this point if talking won't work either.

I have witnessed fights that have been going the "right" way, a man has defended himself after getting assaulted, put the assaulter to the ground and when he lets go and starts moving away, the assaulter pulls out a knife because of being a wuss and can't do anything else. Luckily the man who defended himself ran away fast enough.

I'm not sure if 'consired deadly weapons' is the right term but you are considered to be in better position than the other guy because you have trained martial arts (few martial arts really work in street fight however). Better to run anyway or not get worked out because of someone who provokes you. I usually just ignore people who try to pick a fight, and hope for them to go away. I'm really hot tempered however in some cases that if someone punches me, I don't think I can hold back.
Sankari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-08, 12:32   Link #32
whatever123

Send a message via MSN to whatever123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lichtkrieg View Post
I do Kyokushin, it's a traditionnal form of karate. It's fun but I've got a pretty rough sensei. So sometimes its a bit painful.
I have done some competition but it was always semi-contact competition, wich mean the technic is the most important factor and we use protection gear. I want to do a full-contact competition this year.

since when do kyokushin has a semi-contact competition, they used to be strictly full contact?
Old 2007-01-08, 19:06   Link #33
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever123 View Post
since when do kyokushin has a semi-contact competition, they used to be strictly full contact?
I'm not a karateka, but I would guess full-contact sparring is only allowed at a certain level. I certainly wouldn't put two rookies together and have them start wailing on each other -- if they don't know what they're doing, the injury list can add up pretty quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankari
Running is always the best option but when you are out other options its time to defend yourself, there's nothing else you can do at this point if talking won't work either.

I have witnessed fights that have been going the "right" way, a man has defended himself after getting assaulted, put the assaulter to the ground and when he lets go and starts moving away, the assaulter pulls out a knife because of being a wuss and can't do anything else. Luckily the man who defended himself ran away fast enough.
Agreed. Sometimes you can't talk yourself out of a situation, and in those times it would be better to know how to defend yourself.

And re: your second point, that's exactly the scenario I'm describing. You acted in self-defense, you knocked your assaulter down, now run like hell. If the defender had instead jumped on top of the guy, to keep beating him up, the knife could have come into play during the fight instead of after.

Or the guy's friends might be nearby, and then instead of one-on-one it's five-on-one. There's very few reasons to keep fighting.
Old 2007-01-11, 02:17   Link #34
whatever123

Send a message via MSN to whatever123
Quote:
Originally Posted by raikage View Post
I'm not a karateka, but I would guess full-contact sparring is only allowed at a certain level. I certainly wouldn't put two rookies together and have them start wailing on each other -- if they don't know what they're doing, the injury list can add up pretty quickly.
you are right, but the thing is kyokushin karate always took pride in being full contact karate with no protection (except at the groin), so that people who were not at that certain level for fullcontact sparring should work real hard to reach that level so that they can compete.
Old 2007-01-12, 21:36   Link #35
ChainLegacy
廉頗

I think the MMA stuff is cool, but I like boxing better. I also was on the wrestling team, so I know how to wrestle fairly well. I'm also a powerlifter which has nothing to do with fighting, but there seems to be a discussion about lifting going on here too. Usually do low reps for the big movements (squat, bench, deadlift) and then stabilizer muscle work.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-18, 02:37   Link #36
Ewok

Send a message via MSN to Ewok
Looks like I'm late to this party!

I'm a yudansha in a Japanese martial art called Shorinji Kempo, training in Tokyo and assisting with teaching children and high school students. Allot of fun and has some interesting philosophy and teachings along with the physical aspects which make it more of a thinking man's martial art.

The history of martial arts, especially those from China are hard to accurately source as allot of the details were not recorded but simply passed down through the years, and in many cases within so-called secret societies.

Take for example the famous Shaolin temple in China. What is known is that it was founded by an Indian Buddhist in late 4th century AD. It is thought that he or a successor brought Indian martial arts to Shaolin which continued to develop and evolve. The purpose of these arts was for development of a healthy body, in defence of person and temple. There are numerous cases of the temple being destroyed, one of the more famous being in around 1732 by the Qing government, which forced the monks to take their art underground into secret societies, from which several modern martial arts have been developed.

Its important to remember if you train in a martial art you have to use proper judgement, control and common-sense if you ever have to defend yourself. Like its been mentioned, with most modern countries having justice systems terms like "reasonable force" are important and that you will be judged differently to other people if you cause harm or injury to other people.
Ewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-30, 22:01   Link #37
phantom_ryder

Quote:
Originally Posted by iKumdo View Post
I do Kendo. It's pretty fun stuff. It won't teach you to be a master swordsman, but it's just really fun. It's not like I took it to fight people with a sword anyways .

It gives you a pretty good work out, requires a lot of stamina.
I'd really like to join a Kendo club both for fun and for excercise but I live in New Zealand so it's not really an open option as far as I can see..
phantom_ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-31, 23:25   Link #38
Ewok

Send a message via MSN to Ewok
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom_ryder View Post
I'd really like to join a Kendo club both for fun and for excercise but I live in New Zealand so it's not really an open option as far as I can see..
You have seen this right? http://www.kendo.org.nz/HTML/clubs/clubs.html
Ewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-01, 02:04   Link #39
iKumdo
Chodan

Send a message via AIM to iKumdo
You know what's great about kendo? We don't brag about it being the strongest, most bestest (yea I know, it's a joke) fighting style in the world. Worse than those, "my kungfu is betta than yo's" type? The "If it's so great, why isn't he/she in the UFC?" type.

New Zealand should have a kendo dojo. I'm pretty sure they competed at the world championships in december.
Old 2007-02-02, 07:01   Link #40
Hentai Guy
REdiculous (see profile)

Location: I live in a freakin' desert...not even a cool desert with cacti and stuff...just a whole lot o' nada
Eh...I've done a whole smattering of stuff. I did TKD for about 14 years, but was overall unimpressed. In my experience it works well for fitness or as an augmentation to another fighting style, but on it's own it's only par.

My favorite work has been with Kuk Sool Won, it combines aspects of all sorts of stuff...it's heavy in trapping, deflecting, countering, and striking; but additionally it comes with exstensive weapons and grappling work. I was with KSW for about 10 years.

I've puttered around with jiu-jutsu and kempo, but not enough to say I studied it. I've also studied non-combatative styles like Shinkendo and Iaido

As for tournements and full-contact bouts, I was good at striking but not quite as good at taking blows. That's probably why I focused a lot on my groundwork, once I got someone on the ground it was difficult to beat me.

Unfortunately since joining the military I haven't had much time or availability for MA.
Hentai Guy is offline   Reply With Quote