AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > sola

Notices

View Poll Results: sola - Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 54 24.88%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 48 22.12%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 50 23.04%
7 out of 10 : Good 43 19.82%
6 out of 10 : Average 10 4.61%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 6 2.76%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.46%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.46%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 1.84%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-01-25, 12:10   Link #41
MercFH
I can't win this one
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to MercFH
I didnt see anyone post about this, but content wise what would yall say the show is?
13+.......just because of the violence or what? i mean their no real fan-service which is kinda a break from alot of the shows lately.

Overall this became my favorite series after watching it, I watched all 13 episodes in a row (plus the 2 dvd ones too so i guess 15)
and it's very rare that i'd ever do that

Takeshi is def my fav char tho, he has so much background!

btw it's funny that this got #1 animu in japan. but it's not nearly there in US, shows how diff. the tastes are ^_^

Last edited by MercFH; 2008-01-25 at 12:32.
MercFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-16, 10:43   Link #42
Droplet
ヘ( ̄▽ ̄ヘ)(ノ ̄▽ ̄)ノ

The saddest part about this show is that Yorito died a virgin :`[
Droplet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-24, 03:06   Link #43
iXenomorph
Anime Addicted

Send a message via MSN to iXenomorph
Plot is somewhat inconsistent, but the series excels in creating a beautiful mood that I find hard to appreciate in most anime. It's powerful, bittersweet, melancholy feeling in my chest.

10/10
Old 2008-04-26, 07:51   Link #44
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Thankfully someone bumped this so I wouldn't have to.

Powered through the entire series a few weeks ago -- encountered many of the same issues other posters had with the show. The sudden shift in some of the characters

I honestly didn't mind many of the unexplained aspects of the series -- where the sword came from, what Mayuko's powers are, even how Matsuri became a yaka -- because ultimately, as far as the main plotline goes, it doesn't matter.

The theme, to me, seems focused around an inability to move forward in life. The Yaka, not physically aging, are the best visual interpretation of this.

But Aono was defined by her inability to progress past the death of her brother.
Little is known about Mayuko, but Takeshi, also, could not move past the day where he promised to restore her to human form. (Some might call it sweet and romantic, I call it a little obsessive.)

The death of Matsuri set them all free, for whatever kind of message that sends.

Yorito's not real, so he doesn't count.
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-28, 14:19   Link #45
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

I gave it a 8/10 since it's been some time since i enjoyed an anime of this kind... as some ppl said the last episodes were kinda rushed and left many things unexplained but it wasnt illogical for this to happen like that. After all i like to think that both Matsuri and Yorito are living somewhere without Aono and the rest noticing. There were those 2 tomato juices on the bench at the end and Matsuri did say "We will meet again" too.
incube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-01, 17:44   Link #46
Shana

When it was airing I didn't pay attention to it. But then I saw a screenshot of Matsuri fighting, then I started downloading a reshare from a fansub; I thought the story would've been less romantic(?)/cheesy and went more into character development, but it did not. I would rate this a 7, but BGM/OST just couldn't let it be. So 8.
Old 2008-06-05, 19:02   Link #47
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
I seen a lot of drama genre series, this is probably one of the best one. Nanao seems to killed the artwork with moeness overload again, the main writer of Kanon did a good job too. I totally enjoyed this Anime, it isn't like KEY-Soulrape but gives a nice melody to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercFH View Post
btw it's funny that this got #1 animu in japan. but it's not nearly there in US, shows how diff. the tastes are ^_^
Americans- Reverse Azn
Japanaese- Azn..oshi-

Last edited by Izayoi; 2008-06-05 at 19:14.
Izayoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-05, 22:07   Link #48
Synria_
Aboard Kallen's Bandwagon

Very good anime overall. I learned to like nearly all the characters and got emotional for each one, no matter how bad their intentions were. Very short and touching story and i'm surprised there was this much detail for a 13 ep series.

Matsuri was my favorite character (go figure)... but damn, I liked all the characters. You won't be disappointed watching this, just watch it.

9/10
Old 2008-07-06, 21:56   Link #49
anime ronin
death by animeoverdos X_X

overall it was good. it had a good storyline but i felt like they didnt use the storyline to it's full potential. the relationship between yorito and matsuri didnt seem as passionate as it could have been and i didnt like the ending that much. the music was great and i loved the art! but that doesnt make a good story.

the story was going great but after matsuri left from the house it just all went downhill and thats were they messed up the potential of the storyline IMO. overall with a few altercations i would have gave it a perfect 10 but because they kind of messed it up ill give it a 7 out of 10

PIRATES DOCKING 6!!! GIANT ROBOT SOLDIER!!! BIG EMPEROR!!!
anime ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-15, 18:55   Link #50
Taler
http://typemoon.us

Gah, this is exactly why I wish I dont' watch anime.
Taler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-16, 10:06   Link #51
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

And this is exactly why posting one liners is not a good idea. You could start by telling us what exactly you didn't like abut it, as your post is sorely lacking in any form of elaboration.
Old 2008-07-17, 17:47   Link #52
Taler
http://typemoon.us

Jeez, not even sure where to start. Was it the blatant sexism? The melodramatic 'acting' (more likely direction/production)? There's the flattest (and most sterotypically rendered) characters ever, the completely inept social interactions, the fight scenes that made no sense (sucked), an uninteresting plot with a twist that didn't surprise.

Anyway, let me tone it down on the sarcasm. The anime was just really terrible and a huge waste of time. Most animes are like B movies, this one is a D-lister.
Taler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 23:40   Link #53
chief

Send a message via MSN to chief
Well I hate to be the one to bump this up but... I might as well be. I watched the show a few months ago and I loved it... But man was I shocked at certain things... (you all know the parts I mean)

Spoiler for show:

I was also really sad at the ending... It just seemed... I dunno. I mean it was well done, I loved it, but at the same time I hated it.. If that makes sence?
chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-09, 05:17   Link #54
Bathory Area
Jigoku Shoujo

I enjoyed Sola from begining to the end. What is amazing about Sola is that it

starts with"guy with strang girl who is not what she seems".After I first finished the

series, I had somewhat of a slight distaste for the ending. So,I gave it 8/10.
Bathory Area is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-03, 09:52   Link #55
Solafighter
Hige

Last night, i finished rewatching it for the third time().

From my view, Sola is in some ways a very special series to me, because i share some of the feelings and thoughts of Yorito. The sky is something beautiful, which is always there(depends on weather, though) and for most people on this planet, its something normal. For my part, i sometimes, just lay in my garden or drive some kilometers to some good spot and just watch the sky. For some reason, its something fastcinating for me. Relation with the series Sola, it has a good plot, to narrate about.

Spoiler for ending:

Some people wouldnt understand it but i gave it a 10/10, but would it rate to 12/10 if it would have been possible.
Old 2009-07-06, 01:54   Link #56
封鎖された渋谷で

As people around me know, I apply different barometers to different series.

This is a drama series (w/o VN), so I'll use the Drama barometer.

Animation Quality: 10
It's good. All I can say.

(double emphasis) Voice Actors: 20
It really brought the series forward.

Script+ Editing: 10
Great script. Remember, I'm a city bloke who likes the countryside, but won't want to actually move there anytime soon. I liek the bleu sky!

(double emphasis) Emotional Involvement: 20
Very emotional. Don't tell me you didn't cry at the end, you'd be lying.

Total: 10
428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-04, 21:54   Link #57
Daizu
Magatsu Daizu

Send a message via MSN to Daizu
This was one of my favorite anime, though it's been over a year since I've seen it. The story was very good, not a typical story. The animation was very good too. Though, I wish it was a little longer. But then again, maybe it's for the better it was a short one, maybe if it was any longer it would of gotten stupid. :x
Daizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-31, 13:52   Link #58
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
I found out about Sola after one of my friends from AS, Triple_R, reviewed it. I checked it out and found out it's from the writer of Kanon so I expected some random antics and moe girl antics. That didn't really disappoint here for the most part, I'd think.

Visuals: 8/10 It looks good for the most part; mostly the backgrounds but damn, you could probably take someone's eyes out with those chins. The lighting was pretty good, and night scenes are cool! The animation is ok, not particularly good compared to the art, but not bad either.

Audio: 7/10
Spoiler:

Plot and Execution: 5/10
Spoiler:

Characters: 8/10
Spoiler:

Enjoyment: 8/10 As I've said earlier, I preferred the first half and the silly antics in there better. The plot twists in the latter off didn't impress me very much, but the characters were usually just good enough to save certain parts. And like I've said above, Mana and Koyori really saved the show for me; and they are the ones that generated the most emotional moments near the end. That being said, the part where Aono and Yorito are picking dolls, and Aono sarcastically points to the old guy made me really lol. And of course Matsuri is fun to watch.

Overall: 7/10 mostly an average anime that merely worked but it pulled together some stuff that makes it into a good show. I felt like they really missed out a lot of potential things, but hey, it was worth the time.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-31, 14:31   Link #59
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
My take on Sola is slightly different than my friend Archon_Wing's, but we agree on many key points: It starts slow, is great in the middle portions, and the first half is the better half.

My overall ranking for Sola is also 7/10, but I didn't go through a breakdown of various parts to arrive there.

Where I differ with Archon is that the constant sky focus didn't bother me as much (although this is for purely personal reasons), but the ending still doesn't sit well with me.

Nonetheless, I offer up my two reviews of Sola on Archon's suggestion.

Here's Part 1 of my review, focusing on the first six episodes.

Here's Part 2 of my review, focusing on the final seven episodes.
Old 2010-08-31, 15:18   Link #60
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Hah, well the sky as a motif is admittingly a good one, but at some points I'm wondering if he cares more about the sky or his sister or his kinda girlfriend. I also think being out of commission during the later episodes hurt as well.

Now coming from a place that is perpetually cloudy, it's not like I don't want to see the sky too. Incidentally, we recently had one of the hottest days ever and it was clear! Then I remembered to watch this anime, lol.

It's pretty easy for me to see why the ending didn't sit will with you; as the chain of events did seem to create a tragedy that was avoidable.

But look at it like this. Matsuri can't die and has to live this guilt forever. I think it makes sense that if she doesn't want to go on, that she would find a way to resolve this guilt too. I'd imagine living that long would make one weary.

I also thought that her playful exterior seemed to be a front as she'd get very uncomfortable every time she was confronted with something; she'd dodge the question, she'd literally run away. Of course, some of it must be genuine but it's just not something that could last, as with Aono being immortal, it's hard to run away. And Matsuri has run away for a very long time yet shit keeps happening and catching back up to her.

Yes, she does avoid death by defending herself, but that seems to be out of instinct. This is especially true of the later battle until the last, where she basically just reacts without any real intention of "winning"

In any case, it made more sense to me than say;

Spoiler for Kanon 2006:

Yorito... yea, but he just realizes that Aono will be a yaka forever, and he's always part of it. What can he do? And with the way Aono's acting, he'll never be free-- she'll just find a way to get rid of anyone else that gets close to him. Perhaps that kind of existence isn't worth it.

But honestly, yea, it's a bit hard to get around this.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote