AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-09-15, 05:30   Link #1241
B2-Lancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
Ok, I get it now.

魔法をできない魔法少女 (The) Magical Girl who Can't Do Magic (Mahou wo dekinai mahou shoujo)
魔法をしない魔法少女 (The) Magical Girl who Doesn't Do Magic (Mahou wo shinai mahou shoujo)

Would these be fine? There's no adjective for "magic", so I had to do the above.
Excellent tips! I appreciate this! So you're also implying that the phrase "The Magical Girl Who (Isn't/Is Not) Magical" doesn't work in Japanese either? This is good langauge lesson!
B2-Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-15, 06:00   Link #1242
larethian

being weak with grammar myself, I'd like others to correct my grammar if I made a mistake, so really sorryyy I really mean no offense , but as I recall, potential forms express a state of being and goes with が

alternatively, it can be "魔法が使えない魔法少女" (Magical Girl who can't use magic). and it may sound somewhat interesting for a title of the story, but weird as a way to call a person. if you want a title of the story, you can even use "とある魔法が使えない魔法少女" (A Certain Magical Girl who can't use magic).

and like what Seitsuki said, unless you provide more information as to what you're trying to accomplish, it's hard to give any suggestion.

are you trying to think of a cool-sounding name or character title? the way you want the name to try to fit the heroine's appearance seems to be a weak reason to have 'mahou' attached. a random suggestion perhaps:

現代魔法少女 (modern magical girl) - say for example, if her technological based weapons are so sleek that it appears like magic to others, and that's why she also dresses up as a magical girl.

if I have a say in this, I think a character title should embody more than just appearance.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-15, 10:13   Link #1243
B2-Lancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
being weak with grammar myself, I'd like others to correct my grammar if I made a mistake, so really sorryyy I really mean no offense , but as I recall, potential forms express a state of being and goes with が

alternatively, it can be "魔法が使えない魔法少女" (Magical Girl who can't use magic). and it may sound somewhat interesting for a title of the story, but weird as a way to call a person. if you want a title of the story, you can even use "とある魔法が使えない魔法少女" (A Certain Magical Girl who can't use magic).

and like what Seitsuki said, unless you provide more information as to what you're trying to accomplish, it's hard to give any suggestion.

are you trying to think of a cool-sounding name or character title? the way you want the name to try to fit the heroine's appearance seems to be a weak reason to have 'mahou' attached. a random suggestion perhaps:

現代魔法少女 (modern magical girl) - say for example, if her technological based weapons are so sleek that it appears like magic to others, and that's why she also dresses up as a magical girl.

if I have a say in this, I think a character title should embody more than just appearance.
Okay, you're almost hitting it near the head with "Modern Magical Girl" if it implies a "Techno-Magic Magical Girl" if there's a such thing in Japanese. (That's the fun of playing with words! ) So yea, basically I'm looking for a cool cute catch-phrase (Japanese) moniker of her like Batman's called "The Dark Knight," "Caped Crusader", etc. "Non-Magical Magical Girl" sounded cutely contradictory to me but it seems by you all that it doesn't click in Japanese. So all your in-the-know suggestions are very valuable! Thanks!!

BTW, this is a permitted fan-fic take-off of a producer's video-novel starring the same character (Kanako Kuruso/Stardust Avenger Meruru) but he hasn't gone into depth with the name thing as I. (I'm a deep Kanako fan!)
Old 2011-09-15, 12:41   Link #1244
larethian

If you just want a cool name, I'm not too sure how important the 'magical girl' component is. But I'm guessing you want to emphasize on both "technology" and "magical"? Or is the fact that she is a shoujo (young girl) is important as well?

actually, not knowing the exact setting and details really make it hard to exercise our creativity.

other random names I can think of (some terms are self-made):
テクノ魔法少女 (tekuno mahou shoujo) (Techno-Magical Girl)
新テクノ魔法少女 (shin tekuno mahou shoujo) (New Techno-Magical Girl)
科学の魔法少女 (kagaku no mahou shoujo) (Magical Girl of Science)
テクノ魔法使い (tekuno mahou tsukai) (Techno-Magic User/Practicioner)
テクノ魔導士 / テクノ魔術師 (tekuno madoushi / tekuno majutsushi) (Techno Mage / Sorceress / Magician)
ガゼット魔術師 (gajetto majutsushi) (Gadget Magician)
現代魔学少女 (gendai magaku mahou shoujo) (Girl of Modern Magical Arts)

ok, it's pretty much endless.

and, perhaps, it's not that "Non-Magical Magical Girl" doesn't click in Japanese, it's just that at my level, I can't think of anything that doesn't need a verb conjugate.
Old 2011-09-19, 04:09   Link #1245
B2-Lancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
If you just want a cool name, I'm not too sure how important the 'magical girl' component is. But I'm guessing you want to emphasize on both "technology" and "magical"? Or is the fact that she is a shoujo (young girl) is important as well?

actually, not knowing the exact setting and details really make it hard to exercise our creativity.

other random names I can think of (some terms are self-made):
テクノ魔法少女 (tekuno mahou shoujo) (Techno-Magical Girl)
新テクノ魔法少女 (shin tekuno mahou shoujo) (New Techno-Magical Girl)
科学の魔法少女 (kagaku no mahou shoujo) (Magical Girl of Science)
テクノ魔法使い (tekuno mahou tsukai) (Techno-Magic User/Practicioner)
テクノ魔導士 / テクノ魔術師 (tekuno madoushi / tekuno majutsushi) (Techno Mage / Sorceress / Magician)
ガゼット魔術師 (gajetto majutsushi) (Gadget Magician)
現代魔学少女 (gendai magaku mahou shoujo) (Girl of Modern Magical Arts)

ok, it's pretty much endless.

and, perhaps, it's not that "Non-Magical Magical Girl" doesn't click in Japanese, it's just that at my level, I can't think of anything that doesn't need a verb conjugate.
You've been extremely helpful, guy! Thanks for the tremendous hints! Just FYI, my fanfic piece is a take-off of http://voiceactingalliance.com/board...33#post1089033
Thanks!
Old 2011-09-20, 12:18   Link #1246
Redoaxe
ツンデレ。。。?

Help again! xD
Someone please translate this:

Thanks in advance
Old 2011-09-20, 19:24   Link #1247
Seitsuki
Onee!

Choice 1: I want power

Choice 2: I don't need things like power

Dialogue: How about it...? To have the greatest wondrous power in your hands?
Old 2011-10-05, 23:42   Link #1248
Frozen_Angel
Gothy Lesbian from Hell

I was wondering if anyone can translate this pic for me, I am pretty sure its a comparison to a real and bootleg anime figure, I am pretty sure it is in Chinese, Thanks

http://tinypic.com/r/rbfpsm/7
Old 2011-10-10, 16:09   Link #1249
Seitsuki
Onee!

My Chinese is terrible now, but what it's saying basically from what I can make out is:

The fake (on the bottom) has -a smaller tattoo and -darker stripes on the wood.
Old 2011-10-17, 16:26   Link #1250
Frozen_Angel
Gothy Lesbian from Hell

Thanks a lot.
Old 2011-11-22, 16:10   Link #1251
Albert-Chamomile

I was wondering... Can anyone please write this into japanese please?

"The mayor wants to see you. Go to his house"

"The Demon Queen is after the princess. Go to the kingdom and protect her before she gets her."

thank you very much in advance ^^
Albert-Chamomile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-22, 16:16   Link #1252
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert-Chamomile View Post
I was wondering... Can anyone please write this into japanese please?

"The mayor wants to see you. Go to his house"

"The Demon Queen is after the princess. Go to the kingdom and protect her before she gets her."

thank you very much in advance ^^
What do you need this for? It's very difficult being asked out of the blue with no context or no idea who's speaking or what the formality level is. If you explain what you need these sentences for it'll be much easier to figure out what sort of translation would be suitable.
Old 2011-11-22, 20:44   Link #1253
larethian

they sound like NPC lines LOL
Old 2011-11-22, 21:26   Link #1254
Albert-Chamomile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
What do you need this for? It's very difficult being asked out of the blue with no context or no idea who's speaking or what the formality level is. If you explain what you need these sentences for it'll be much easier to figure out what sort of translation would be suitable.
Oh, sorry ^^U
I'm making a RPG, and I'm having troubles with these sentences

first, one child is telling the protagonist that he should visit the Mayor because he has a message for her.

second, the mayor informs the heroes about the mission.

the RPG is similar to "Dragon Quest" saga

I hope you can help me, thanks in advance ^^
Albert-Chamomile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-22, 22:10   Link #1255
Raiga
tl;dr

Why are only these lines in Japanese? What language is the rest of the RPG written in? What word are you using for "mayor", 村長? Is the demon queen 魔女王 or 悪魔の女王 or what? And by "kingdom" do you mean like a walled castle or a nation?

「村長さんは話があるからうちに来てくださいって」

「魔女王が姫様を狙っておるのじゃ。奴が手を出す前に城に行って姫様を守ってくれ」

... is the best I can come up with. Excuse my terrible dialogue writing skills.
Old 2011-11-23, 06:32   Link #1256
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
To add to Raiga's questions above, I'll be blunt:

If anyone wants an English to Japanese translation, you won't get anything decent without giving us toooons of information on characters, scenes, your meaning, nuance and emotion for any lines (perhaps)

English is literal.
Japanese is contextual.

Most days than not, it's like mixing oil and water, so please give more info than just the lines or what it's aimed for. It'll make the lives of those who wanna help easier.
(Short of growing up bilingual)

PS:
This is also aimed at future requests from anyone

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-24, 21:03   Link #1257
Kudryavka

Can someone tell me if this is correct Farsi? And if so, how to say it phoenetically? If not, a better translation?
Quote:
سلام. من می خواستم با شما صحبت کنم دیروز. من سگ. میخواهم بپرسم اگر این بازی سرگرم کننده است. من می خواهم به شما بگویم چقدر سخت بود این بازی روز گذشته. خداحافظ.
Quote:
Hi. I wanted to talk to you yesterday. I got the dog. I want to ask if the game is fun. I want to tell you how hard it was getting the game yesterday. Goodbye.
The context is that my character is calling her female friend, leaving a message on her machine. She wanted to call her yesterday about getting the dog they were talking about, but couldn't reach her. She also wanted to discuss a game that her friend got, and wanted to tell her about her getting the same game yesterday.

Thank you to anyone who does this!
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 17:25   Link #1258
Solafighter
Hige

Can someone please write down and translate to me, what is written there on this little book? Would be very great. Thanks a lot in advance.

Old 2011-11-29, 18:22   Link #1259
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
ganbarou, is the same as in your sig

"Keep up your spirit"
Keep fighting
Don't give up!
You can do it!
Hang in there!
etc, etc

We don't have a literal translation for this word, so it depends on the context to find the closest English we can get to it.
This refers to the march 11th quake, the kanji after I dare say are place names which break all kanji rulles as to how it read...

Stay strong, Japan!
Don't give up, East Matsushima!
Keep going, Matsushima Base!

(Stay strong)
For March 11th 2011 and for the future.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 18:27   Link #1260
Raiga
tl;dr

Do your best, Japan!
Do your best, Higashimatsushima!
Do your best, Matsushima Air Base!
2011-03-11~and on towards tomorrow...

Both Higashimatsushima and the Matsushima Air Base were severely affected by the Tohoku earthquake.

EDIT: Beaten to the punch. :P

Tags
song, translation