AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-03-24, 22:20   Link #3061
Sunder the Gold

Does it really make sense that The Infinity Library, a place that was already suffering from massive congestion and disorganization, would be used to store all of the TSAB's paperwork?

I've seen this idea come up a number of times, and it doesn't become any more believable to me. Likewise, I don't see why the TSAB would turn an asset like Yuuno into a filing clerk when they could be having him focus exclusively on translation and research of ancient materials. They already HAD employees to deal with current event paperwork; employees who need none of Yuuno's abilities.

Further, the cultures which founded the TSAB already had computer technology and electronic databases. A bureaucracy that is designed with such a resource already in place HAS to generate less paperwork than one which began in the days of typewriters and physical filing cabinets.

Even the paperwork that DOES get produced would more likely be stored in the same general facility that houses the computer network's servers. A facility designed and intended to store information on current events, starting from the day of the Bureau's founding to the present.

The Infinite Library's purpose is very different from that. It is the repository of all salvaged and donated knowledge from BEFORE the Bureau's founding. It is primarily an archive for the PAST.

The Bureau would have always needed both resources of stored information, but should NEVER have had a reason to merge them together.

The frequency with which the TSAB would place urgent demands on Yuuno to find information within the Library is a fuzzier matter. It really depends on how often "new" Forgotten Old Artifacts of Doom crawl out of the woodwork. Also how many "Lost Societies of Powerful Magical Warriors" re-establish contact with the rest of the universe now that the Unification War is over and wounded nations have had time to lick their wounds.

I imagine that last bit is one possible explanation for Chrono making Yuuno dig up records on various non-Midchildan magical systems. The other possible explanation being that such information could be forwarded to "magical science" divisions and schools to aid with Research and Development.

And that's really the pattern. Yuuno's job is learning about the past and sharing that knowledge with others so that they can better deal with present concerns. His job is not to deal with the bureaucratic tedium of present concerns.
Old 2013-03-24, 22:48   Link #3062
Sansker
Manus ad Ferrum

Well to be fair this is one of the things in the series that they thought something like: “a giant unpractical hole with bookshelf in the walls where people can float around in 0 gravity” it looks cool. Yeah that sounds about right.

But on a more serious note I always find funny how much tech this people have and how they still use books to store their information.
Old 2013-03-24, 23:10   Link #3063
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
As they go through lost civilizations, they are going to find a lot of books and other data storage material, and it is naturally going to accumulate in one place. Organizing and digitizing that data would be a humungous task, and with the TSAB's limited personnel, I can see it growing out of control, so much that they are drowning in data.

THink about it this way... it in it's few short years of operation, the Large Hadron Collider has generated so much data, that it will take years to analyze. It's currently offline for upgrades, but that's fine, because we are still looking at least 5-10 years to analyze the data we've gotten so far. Expand that for dozens, if not hundreds of civilizations, and it is not unreasonable to presume they just have more data than they can deal with. But it wouldn't just be for paperwork, ie, Form 10237-c that describes Lt. Jones's vacation request.

Yuuno is valuable because he has experience working with old tomes, and essentially brings teh "Google" to the library. Search algorithms designed to find needed data relatively quickly.
Old 2013-03-24, 23:32   Link #3064
Sansker
Manus ad Ferrum

To be fair we don’t really see the TSAB to be short handed. More like lack talented people.
Old 2013-03-25, 04:57   Link #3065
Sunder the Gold

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansker View Post
To be fair we don’t really see the TSAB to be short handed. More like lack talented people.
They have the populations of several planets to recruit from, yes.

They don't lack for warm bodies, they lack for strong mages. Since there has never NOT been a major war in forever, combat and assassination has made magical bloodlines a scarcer resource than it otherwise would be.

As to the TSAB constantly finding new lost colonies, I have to figure few of them have any secrets that the other branches of the Bureau need to know about at first priority. Sometimes, but not always.

But my case isn't that Yuuno isn't busy enough to stay employed. I'm just pointing out what he is and is NOT busy doing.
Old 2013-03-25, 08:21   Link #3066
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
There is always the problem if "we don't know what we don't know." Regardless of what case someone may be working on, they might not know that there is some information in the library that can help. So I can see Yuuno being consulted quite often as people come to him and say, "Do you have anything on x?" And he can do some searching and let them know.

That would be what he would most likely be busy with.
Old 2013-03-25, 09:53   Link #3067
Sunder the Gold

It's been at least 50 years since the TSAB's founding. Most of the planets that the TSAB deals with should be mostly known factors. The places that most of the Library's content were excavated from would tend to be dead.

He'll always be busy with the exceptions, of course.
Old 2013-03-25, 11:01   Link #3068
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
It's been at least 50 years since the TSAB's founding. Most of the planets that the TSAB deals with should be mostly known factors. The places that most of the Library's content were excavated from would tend to be dead.

He'll always be busy with the exceptions, of course.
We've lived on this planet for well over two hundred milenia. It still manages to make us go "Well, shit, I didn't know that" almost every day.
Old 2013-03-25, 11:07   Link #3069
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
But recorded history only goes back about 6000-7000 years.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Old 2013-03-25, 11:29   Link #3070
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

That's still 5850/6850 more years than the TSAB had to explore an unknown number of worlds across various dimensions.

Hell, even on one subject we can still run aground. We're still not exactly sure how the various pyramids around the world were build. After years of archeology. Any world in the TSAB would constantly be throwing new information at the Infinite Library.
Old 2013-03-29, 22:25   Link #3071
Sunder the Gold

So this came up in the Third Movie speculation thread:

Can Hayate cast small spells as well as anyone else? Did I just imagine that she was limited to large spells in addition to having horrible control over those same spells?
Old 2013-03-29, 22:30   Link #3072
Sansker
Manus ad Ferrum

Well she can fly, and that is a smaller spell. Otherwise she will just be launch in to orbit because of her great magic power when she tries to fly a little so I say she has some control over small spells but is combat where you need to think fast and react while others are beating you where she finds herself unable to process fast enogh. But that could mean that she is slow in combat terms not that she isn't able to cast smaller spells in a control room and with calm.
Old 2013-03-29, 23:35   Link #3073
Sunder the Gold

Yes, she can fly, create and maintain a barrier jacket, and use barriers and shields like anyone else.

Perhaps it's not that she couldn't become a mage like Nanoha, but rather ended up as she is from a combination of two factors?

1) Pursuing commanding positions to the detriment of her combat training.

2) Having a truly unique talent for enormous ritual magic, such that her magical training focused on such spells to the detriment of her studies on more basic abilities. After all, why try to fill a need that someone else meets when you can train for a role that no one else can perform?

Likewise, Hayate's "bad aim" may be less a personal factor and more a reality of the large-scale spells she casts. She has the capacity to fuel them on her own, but perhaps there really isn't a mage alive who could calculate the programming for spells of that size without the kind of support she needs.

That is to say, her aim with Balmung and Ragnarok may be just fine, even without a Unison Device. Certainly, it is in the games.
Old 2013-03-29, 23:44   Link #3074
Sansker
Manus ad Ferrum

Well she is a better supotting caster like Caro is. Good at powering others and healing them. Even when her main spells are strong as Nanoha's
Old 2013-03-29, 23:47   Link #3075
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

It depends, Caro may not have nuke spells but she's far mroe versatile than Hayate when it comes to support spells. Seh can heal, buff, debuff, teleport, bind, cast illusions and a good etcetera. She even have Friedrich and Voltaire to compensate for her lack of firepower xD!

My fav support mage, though is and will ever be Shamal xD!

She's the traditional priest and have the charm to match xD

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Old 2013-03-30, 00:18   Link #3076
Sunder the Gold

Where has it been said or shown that Hayate can heal or Caro can create illusions?
Old 2013-03-30, 00:33   Link #3077
Sansker
Manus ad Ferrum

Hayate can heal, she use that magic to help Vita and Erio in Force. Caro has not create ilusions however.
Old 2013-03-30, 02:33   Link #3078
krisslanza
Sleep beneath the flowers

If I remember right the way Hayate was described is... it's like, for a random example that popped into my mind, like Ichigo early on in Bleach. He was like a hose running full blast all the time.

That's basically what Hayate has going with her mana, and why her spells take a long time to cast and why her entire arsenal of spells shown in the series are huge ones - she has a hard time "toning down" her mana to levels to use small, quick spells (i.e. Axel Shooter) but it's very easy to use high-power spells because her mana output is always running full blast.

I don't think a barrier jacket is really magic in the way you're thinking of either (and technically for Hayate, she wears Knight's Clothing), and flying is actually a fairly complex spell, I believe it's rare for anyone under a B rank to even attempt it - let alone fly in a combat situation.
Old 2013-03-30, 08:59   Link #3079
Sunder the Gold

The complexity of a flight spell would have nothing to do with Hayate's power-issues. If those issues impacted flight at all, it would be in making her fly too fast, or else rendering her incapable of flying because of using too much strength in too delicate an arrangement.

No meaningful difference has ever been noted between Knight's Clothing and Barrier Jackets. The same as flight, Hayate's power-issues would either ensure she has stupendously protective armor* or make her incapable of using it at all.

*Granted, it might also be stupendously inefficient. Skill levels determine how bang you can get for your buck; without sufficient skill, Hayate could be throwing lots of power into an extremely basic equation, burning up more energy than necessary. Whereas Yuuno might have mastered the art of barrier jackets, effectively having equal protection despite using less energy.

The same thing may apply to their flight spells.
Old 2013-03-30, 09:30   Link #3080
Skane
Anime Snark

I always found it a waste that Hayate decided not to devote some time to training... Imagine what Hayate could do if she had trained as hard as Nanoha or Fate? She has this epic Linker Core, and she spends her time behind the frontlines (usually).