AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2009-03-02, 01:32   Link #121
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX-78GP04G Gerbera View Post
1.) There's still quite a bit connecting Victory to the past UC series'...at least considering the 60 year gap of canon animation XD ("Gundam", Salamis Kai, Clop, Ra Cailum, etc).
I was referring to more substantial elements like relevant shared history, naturally progressing organizations, and themes rather than just cosmetic ones. In most respects, it wouldn't have mattered if Victory was a separate universe or part of UC. Heck, even the name "Gundam" is meaningless - they only used it because it evoked something in the past. They could have named their trucks "Gundam" for all the difference it made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX-78GP04G Gerbera View Post
3.) Well, I mostly just mean in Victory Gundam that there's really no "all-powerful" or "invincible" MS. Even the Victory/Victory 2 are fallible. And I only said a few AUs. Ones like Wing, SEED, and SEED Destiny aren't among them XD.
But there is:
Spoiler for End of Victory:

Moreover, if the specs for V2 are correct, it's vastly more capable than any other mobile suit in the show. It really should have been more overwhelming than it was.
Old 2009-03-02, 01:53   Link #122
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

1.) Actually, there are slight subtle hints. Jupiter has been used A LOT in UC after all. I suppose the lack of anything otherwise (which is another reason for the Federation to collapse bit by bit and use such outdated stuff) doesn't help things. It's why I wish there were more animations of stories that take place in between such long-gapped series'. 30 years of unknown events leaves a lot of room and pretty much each major conflict only lasted up to a year. Even ZZ to CCA was just a 4 year gap...

2.)
Spoiler for Victory:

3.) Well, normally, the only thing that sets the Victory 2 apart from the other MS is its Minovsky Drive System which is really just a super-engine (for a MS anyways) in ways. And I dunno about anyone being able to take it up to its full 20 Gs without negative effects. Aside from that (and a much higher reactor to power the Drive and all), the Victory 2 is really no different from the Victory with the basic armaments.

The upgrades may give it power but it still suffers from inhibited speed (especially with both together) and, as said, who knows how fast it was really going a lot of the time or how much it was pushed.

Also possibly other things like how often/many times things like the mega beam rifle, mega beam cannon, spray beam pod, VSBRs, etc could be used in general. Being a small MS, even with a big reactor, I doubt it'd have the juice to continuously fire ALL that powerful beam weaponry consecutively or a lot of times in general, much less also powering its I-Field, Minovsky Drive, and other systems. The ZZ has a higher reactor and it lost juice pretty quickly because of its strong beam weaponry.

Or if it even has an I-Field in general as listed on MAHQ (I certainly saw no instances of beams bouncing off any barrier), or if it's an I-Field meant for 1 area like the S/Ex-S Gundam or if it's like the Crossbone Gundam X-3 and is a limited-timed one.

Then again, the Victory 2 also had a tendancy of LOSING its upgrades pretty quickly too x_x;;
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-02, 10:43   Link #123
elindir
Overreacher

Thank you for the answers, RX-78GP04G Gerbera and 4Tran! I will definitely be watching the show as I would like to finish all Gundam series.
Old 2009-03-04, 04:17   Link #124
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Not really interested in V Gundam cause the MS are size of peas.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-04, 04:53   Link #125
4Tran

You must be talking about a different show. The Victory mobile suits are about 15m in height as compared to the 18m of the ones in most other Gundam shows.
Old 2009-03-04, 05:02   Link #126
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
You must be talking about a different show. The Victory mobile suits are about 15m in height as compared to the 18m of the ones in most other Gundam shows.
Still a bit small, also, some of the Victory MS are 14m. Probably one the reasons I semi dislike F91. So damn tiny. It's a bit weird having the Jegan be bigger than the main MS of the movie....IMO.
Old 2009-03-04, 12:13   Link #127
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

Still, that's what makes them A LOT more efficient than previous MS; being smaller means being faster and more maneuverable from less mass and weight but they still don't lose out on overall power of compared to previous MS of larger size. In fact, several of them are much stronger overall.

And it's not like animation makes them look THAT much smaller unless deliberately like F91 did since the Federation still had the Jegan as one of its primary MS alongside the Heavygun and G-Cannon.

And MS of 14 meters or smaller are very rare overall. (In terms of different kinds.)
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-04, 17:52   Link #128
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
Still a bit small, also, some of the Victory MS are 14m. Probably one the reasons I semi dislike F91. So damn tiny. It's a bit weird having the Jegan be bigger than the main MS of the movie....IMO.
Saying you won't watch a Gundam series because you don't like the size of the MS? Personally i'd say that's being very picky.
Old 2009-03-04, 17:54   Link #129
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Saying you won't watch a Gundam series because you don't like the size of the MS? Personally i'd say that's being very picky.
It is very picky, trying to break the habit. I just like the mobile suits to be very big and tall.

Though I still LOVE F91, no way I'll drop that off my favorite list.

It's a habit, and like all, they can be broken.
Old 2009-03-04, 20:21   Link #130
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
I hope it's soon then. Victory Gundam is a remarkable series in my opinion. I'm sure you've heard many thinks about the show (Tomino's thoughts on the show being the main one), though i believe you must watch it and make your own judgment. I did that all those years ago, and love the show still to this day.

Plus it has one of the best musical scores from the Gundam franchise.
Old 2009-03-04, 20:24   Link #131
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
I hope it's soon then. Victory Gundam is a remarkable series in my opinion. I'm sure you've heard many thinks about the show (Tomino's thoughts on the show being the main one), though i believe you must watch it and make your own judgment. I did that all those years ago, and love the show still to this day.

Plus it has one of the best musical scores from the Gundam franchise.
Have heard it's quite good, and just because the MS are smaller doesn't mean I don't like the designs, I love me Victory Gundam.

I read that someone gets vaporized by a beam saber.
Old 2009-03-05, 04:36   Link #132
Hellbore

Quote:
Have heard it's quite good, and just because the MS are smaller doesn't mean I don't like the designs, I love me Victory Gundam.

I read that someone gets vaporized by a beam saber.
More than one someone

On Compromise: Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.
Hellbore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-05, 04:51   Link #133
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

I've also read that Victory Gundam has the highest body count.
Old 2009-03-05, 08:56   Link #134
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
I've also read that Victory Gundam has the highest body count.
Yes it does --- and you need to experience it for yourself.
Old 2009-03-06, 15:40   Link #135
Kikuchi

Just saw the end. I liked it, though I'm sure some deaths, like Connie's or Odelo's were absolutely not necessary >_>
That aside, I also found Katejina's fate fitting. Her memory loss allows her to turn a new leaf, while her blindness remains as a punishment of what she became during the war. I didn't really liked her as a person, but I loved her character.

I'm glad I watched this, anyway. It certainly won't become my favorite Gundam series, but I had a good time watching it.
Kikuchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-06, 17:59   Link #136
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikuchi View Post
Just saw the end. I liked it, though I'm sure some deaths, like Connie's or Odelo's were absolutely not necessary >_>
That aside, I also found Katejina's fate fitting. Her memory loss allows her to turn a new leaf, while her blindness remains as a punishment of what she became during the war. I didn't really liked her as a person, but I loved her character.

I'm glad I watched this, anyway. It certainly won't become my favorite Gundam series, but I had a good time watching it.
What I especially liked about the ending was the tone it managed to generate. I got the feeling that both sides had thrown absolutely everything they had into the final battle, and that they were going all-out. The only other shows that did the same thing for me was Gundam Seed; Mobile Suit Gundam came close, but effect wasn't as strong.

I also really liked the way that even though Cronicle was set up as the main enemy, he ended up being just an after-thought. Katejina made for a much more credible threat, and the Katejina-Uso dynamic was far more compelling.
Old 2009-03-06, 19:06   Link #137
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikuchi View Post
I liked it, though I'm sure some deaths, like Connie's or Odelo's were absolutely not necessary >_>
It's true that quite a few of the deaths weren't necessary, though it's all of them that makes the show stand out the way it does, so in a way they do the job of giving this show the image it's known for.
Old 2009-03-09, 10:03   Link #138
Aznavour0079
Maroon Comet

Quote:
It's true that quite a few of the deaths weren't necessary, though it's all of them that makes the show stand out the way it does, so in a way they do the job of giving this show the image it's known for.
i agree, RIP to all of the shrike team members, and to Katejina~san that psycho who'se punishment wasnt death but a lifetime of poverty and darkness,
Aznavour0079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-21, 21:29   Link #139
FruitsPunchSamurai
Banned

Uh..

Great for action. Stuff never really repeats itself. Stellar opposite of Destiny's action. The mecha have such relatively weak armor that machine guns can serious damage them, the action is always different and varied, and the main character absolutely abuses his machine's transformation, but relies on his skill for the entire show, instead of relying on the machine's capability after he receives his mid-season upgrade.

Characters... are iffy. One character is annoying, some are just plain strange (testing if the main character is a newtype by forcing him to take a bath with you, where you are a Zanscare female pilot and commander, sending bikini-clad women to mess with him, etc). Shakti continually does stupid things, and is naive for most of the time. No one really memorable here, except for those old guys in the League Militaire. Those old guys are the backbone of the group, and they go out with a bang. However, they don't do anything critically important in the series, except for providing a presence of adults and leadership.

Plot. Kinda standard, nothing too crazy or lackluster. Spacenoid force is at war with inept Federation. Cue paramilitary group with new mobile weapons and children who help pilot them. Some say that the Angel Halo weapon is fucking stupid, but not really, given the idea of newtypes in Gundam, anyway.

Animation. People will tell you that Victory Gundam has no shading. These people have also never seen the show beyond the first few episodes or a couple of screenshots. Animation is decent, yet nothing special, for 1993.
FruitsPunchSamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-21, 21:46   Link #140
StratoSpear
Titans Test Team Pilot

Quote:
It is very picky, trying to break the habit. I just like the mobile suits to be very big and tall.

Though I still LOVE F91, no way I'll drop that off my favorite list.

So I guess you like Psycho Gundams, yes? Or Perhaps the Nu Gundam...