AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2010-05-01, 07:42   Link #1
Validictus

Exclamation MKV/mp4 video lags out of sync but audio is fine

The problem is that the audio is playing at normal speeds, but the video slows down so the audio becomes somewhere around 5 seconds ahead usually. Just to clarify, the video doesn't stop or cut out, it just slows and everything gets out of sync. Before I used to have this problem with only mp4's but I haven't watched an MP4 with that problem in a while.

I've noticed that the files with AAC in the file names have a higher tendency of experiencing this problem.

My system specs are

Processor: AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-50 1.60 GHz
2 GB RAM
32-bit operating system
Windows Vista
50 gigs free memory

I have CCCP and Media Player Classic installed and I've reinstalled and reset settings for both countless times.

For examples of this problem, Mazui's ep 2-4 of Angel beats has lagging audio.

Filter 0: Default DirectSound Device
Filename: quartz.dll
Filter CRC: CRC Unavailable.
Date: ERROR: File Not Found.
Filter 1: Video Renderer
Filename: quartz.dll
Filter CRC: CRC Unavailable.
Date: ERROR: File Not Found.
Filter 2: ffdshow Audio Decoder
Filename: C:\Program Files\Combined Community Codec Pack\Filters\FFDShow\ffdshow.ax
Filter CRC: 014A893C
Date: 2008-01-18 | 19:10:22
Filter 3: DirectVobSub (auto-loading version)
Filename: C:\Program Files\Combined Community Codec Pack\Filters\VSFilter.dll
Filter CRC: 3AF3972A
Date: 2007-06-08 | 11:14:08
Filter 4: ffdshow Video Decoder
Filename: C:\Program Files\Combined Community Codec Pack\Filters\FFDShow\ffdshow.ax
Filter CRC: 014A893C
Date: 2008-01-18 | 19:10:22
Filter 5: C:\Users\Gemini\Documents\Downloads\sort\[Mazui] Angel Beats\[Mazui]_Angel_Beats_-_02_[B658E512].mkv
Filename: C:\Program Files\Combined Community Codec Pack\Filters\Haali\splitter.ax
Filter CRC: F663CC8D
Date: 2007-12-29 | 01:04:12

I'm not very computer savy so if anyone can figure this problem out, a step-by-step or layman's terms would be much appreciated !
Old 2010-05-01, 13:31   Link #2
JEEB
Bishoujo fanatic
*Fansubber

Sounds like a standard "your computer is not fast enough to play this stuff" kind of a problem. You might try resetting your CCCP settings and turning on multithreading in the CCCP's settings app if you're running the current stable. You can pick it from the place in the settings app where you can also turn on and off H.264 decoding, it's the "MT" selection -- it should also become used automagically in the next release, should a multicore CPU be detected. Also, most of your MP4 problems should go away with the newest beta (linky) because of the updated Haali splitter.

Personally I'm running the 04-07b beta at the moment, but I'll be updating in a moment. And, looking at the changelog, I'm not seeing anything that I'd think would break really badly... although you never know, you might end up blaming movax! Of course, in such a case you can usually just revert to your last known working revision.

P.S.
I actually used to have a laptop with the exactly same CPU. With CoreAVC and XP I had performance to play back H.264 up to 1440x1080 with overlay, and up to 1280x720 with a decent renderer, such as Haali's. So yeah, with Vista you would have EVR-CP, which most probably would be slower than the overlay performance I had. Not to mention if you're running a single-threaded decoder, like the case is with ffdshow's default settings with the 09-09-09 pack.
Old 2010-05-01, 19:08   Link #3
Validictus

Wow that's really disappointing. Seeing as this computer is 4 years old I would expect it to be able to play mkv files...but I can't find anything that says MT or mutlithreading in the settings of the CCCP settings app. I have the one from the site dated 9/9/09 though...

oh and on the beta page the first thing they said is don't use it if you don't know what you're doing...and i don't so i'll pass on that :\

but thanks for replying
Old 2010-05-01, 19:14   Link #4
Validictus

Oh lol? I redownloaded it from the site and now I have the MT option! lol I dont even know how I got that older version. well, hopefully this works! *fingers crossed*
Old 2010-05-01, 19:17   Link #5
Validictus

damn it. now I have the audio drop problem but it seems to sync fine. rather than audio drop, it's like the whole thing just pauses and then plays again. I think there was another post with that problem so back to forum hunting!

Turned on MT and dynamic range compression (because it sounded like a good idea) and now everything syncs fine. Well the OP cuts out every once in a while but it's w/e

do I delete this topic now?

Last edited by Validictus; 2010-05-01 at 19:35.
Old 2010-05-01, 21:04   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

No, someone else might have your problems and learn from this.
Old 2010-05-02, 13:35   Link #7
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
What GPU do you have in that thing? If it's got an ATI Mobility Radeon 3200, you should be able to enable GPU acceleration via DXVA.
Old 2010-05-02, 13:45   Link #8
JEEB
Bishoujo fanatic
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
What GPU do you have in that thing? If it's got an ATI Mobility Radeon 3200, you should be able to enable GPU acceleration via DXVA.
The TL-50-equipped laptop is from around 2006 or so, I wouldn't really expect anything spectacular. Also, DXVA(v1) decoding is erratic at best with ATi/AMD -- even with the newest drivers, which is why I usually try to keep as far from it as possible. DXVAv2 is usually much better at utilizing the GPU on video decoding, although all the madness in drivers might take the nice touch out of it.

I would wish ATi/AMD would open up some straight APIs for their decoders as well :V Just like nvidia does with their video decoding API (that is inside CUDA, but really isn't CUDA because it just calls the VPx chip for decoding and feeds it data).
Old 2010-05-08, 16:10   Link #9
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
AMD/ATI handling of GPU decoded video seems to be kind of messed up anyway. I am having trouble enabling it on my laptop which has a Mobility Radeon 5650... weirdness is happening when I do it. But my CPU (Core i5-430M) is strong enough to eat 1080p BD rips, so I'm not overly concerned about needing GPU acceleration on 720p anime fansubs.

Tags
mkv, playback help, video