AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-08-17, 12:44   Link #621
SkyHejhogianMaestro

Anime cliche I'm tired of?
The school girl. I mean seriously, I burned my school uniform when I finished school. (The messed up thing is I really did, no exaggerations).
Perhaps in the '70s the sight of a girl clad in a thigh-length sailor skirt school uniform was original and edgy... But it feels like most cheap anime had that one Japanese Schoolgirl who's only really there for the 12-16 year olds to fap off to.
It's not as prevalent as anime-detractors say it is, but when it's become the stereotypical face of your genre...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
In some cases I'm not bothered by this, like in the case of Lelouch, L-Elf, or Light.

It's the little things that count: "LOOK INTO YOUR OPPONENT'S EYES, YOU CAN SEE HIS NEXT MOVE IN THEM!"

That kind of stuff just annoys me. It gets even worse when there are legitimate reasons that characters know the next move that will be made and then brag about it. "I know your next move so... don't even bother trying!" If you know what he's going to do, stop telling him you know what he'll do and kill him. That's what you're there to do, after all.
The whole bragging thing got old in and of itself. What's worse is that often you don't quite know how to respond to this: are they being serious or not? This harkens back to an earlier mentioned cliche featuring spontaneous power ups.
This is HORRIBLE in the Mons shounen genre. Since the characters aren't even the ones fighting, trying to guess how powerful their conjured beast/toy is based on their bragging is a hell in and of itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
Hyper Aware Characters

These characters can numbers the hair on your head, they knew what the villains plan was the whole time and they tell who a person better than they know themselves. It actually frightens me.
Someday, someone should deconstruct this. A character that sharp should be thoroughly examined. It would be interesting if they could tell you everything about yourself, but didn't know a thing about themselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
Totally agree.

Telling your enemy what you're going to do to them in excruciating detail is just plain stupid.
"Hey, shounen heroes/villains! While your opponent is wasting time telling you how this new awesome, oversized sword they pulled out of their arse will cut you into pieces, why don't you cut them into pieces? Take a page out of Berzerker?"

Realistically during a battle between someone who's trying to kill you, unless I'm following a gentlemen/samurai code, I'm going to strike at any and every opportunity I have. You're not looking my way? I'm not going to shout, "Hey! Over here!" first and then strike you; I'm just going to attack.
You decide to power up? I don't care about 'challenge.' I'm going to take you down any way I can.
I can understand the cheerleaders on the sidelines. That's actually a tad more realistic than one would think.

Last edited by SkyHejhogianMaestro; 2013-08-17 at 13:18.
SkyHejhogianMaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-17, 20:46   Link #622
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHejhogianMaestro View Post
The school girl. I mean seriously, I burned my school uniform when I finished school. (The messed up thing is I really did, no exaggerations).
Perhaps in the '70s the sight of a girl clad in a thigh-length sailor skirt school uniform was original and edgy... But it feels like most cheap anime had that one Japanese Schoolgirl who's only really there for the 12-16 year olds to fap off to.
It's not as prevalent as anime-detractors say it is, but when it's become the stereotypical face of your genre...
I cannot say that I am entirely guiltless of sharing that same fetish but I kind of wish that they stop using that trope.

Quote:

The whole bragging thing got old in and of itself. What's worse is that often you don't quite know how to respond to this: are they being serious or not? This harkens back to an earlier mentioned cliche featuring spontaneous power ups.
This is HORRIBLE in the Mons shounen genre. Since the characters aren't even the ones fighting, trying to guess how powerful their conjured beast/toy is based on their bragging is a hell in and of itself.

"Hey, shounen heroes/villains! While your opponent is wasting time telling you how this new awesome, oversized sword they pulled out of their arse will cut you into pieces, why don't you cut them into pieces? Take a page out of Berzerker?"

Realistically during a battle between someone who's trying to kill you, unless I'm following a gentlemen/samurai code, I'm going to strike at any and every opportunity I have. You're not looking my way? I'm not going to shout, "Hey! Over here!" first and then strike you; I'm just going to attack.
You decide to power up? I don't care about 'challenge.' I'm going to take you down any way I can.
I can understand the cheerleaders on the sidelines. That's actually a tad more realistic than one would think.
It is basically the bane of most shonen manga, you are basically your opponent the means to defeat you. It is kind of a justified trope as you may know what is going on in the manga and not many can figure what is going on in the fight. Ironically, Dragon Ball avert this trope even though it is common in manga nowadays.

Quote:
Someday, someone should deconstruct this. A character that sharp should be thoroughly examined. It would be interesting if they could tell you everything about yourself, but didn't know a thing about themselves.
Me Too. I hope it goes on to deconstruct this archetype or even show what kind of training/mindset you need in order have this skill.
Old 2013-08-17, 21:52   Link #623
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Well, this is an industry. Artistic is sometime pushed to the second priority. So it's no abnormal to see these tropes repeated once after another!
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-17, 23:09   Link #624
tag1981

What is it? Pansy-ass Male Leads

Worst Offenders: Girls Bravo, Ergo Proxy, Evangelion, Mirai Nikki (I could go on forever)

Notable Exceptions: Kaze No Stigma, Psycho-Pass, GITS, Bakemonogateri, Berserk (many more I could name)

What makes it popular: I have no clue. Maybe it's a Japanese thing.

Reasons I hate it: I just don't like watching weak characters episode after episode. Flawed? Yes. Not straight-up pansy weakness.

Is the hate really worth it? Hell yeah because it can really drag down an anime and make it painful to sit through. Imagine watching Yuki(from Mirai Nikki) having to deal with Hitagi's(from Monogateri) verbal assault. He'd cry so damn much he'd probably die of dehydration. The monogateri series wouldn't be a fraction as popular as it is if Araragi didn't stand up for himself.
tag1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-17, 23:18   Link #625
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Eh, this one will never vanish-it's too big a part of Japanese culture. It's not like it only shows up in anime/manga either. It's like in EVERY Japanese thing. XD

Quote:
It is kind of a justified trope as you may know what is going on in the manga and not many can figure what is going on in the fight.
Then the best way to do this is to use other characters who are observing the fight and are talking to each other. It's a much smarter approach.
Rurouni Kenshin is a good example.
Old 2013-08-18, 12:53   Link #626
SkyHejhogianMaestro

Catgirls, those damn nekos.
Why do I hate them: I don't actually, I just hate that you can't tell if they have human ears or not. They always have long enough hair to hide where their human ears would be.
What to do about them: Confirm or deny that they have two pairs of ears.
Old 2013-08-18, 22:36   Link #627
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

The one I hate? Overflowing Harem with no reason! Really, it's almost impossible for people to fall in love that easy like in Anime!
Old 2013-08-19, 00:23   Link #628
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireminer View Post
The one I hate? Overflowing Harem with no reason! Really, it's almost impossible for people to fall in love that easy like in Anime!
Actually, there's a reason why harems typically are highschool or even middle school. At that age, people do fall in 'love' pretty quick. Even in college and beyond harems can be a thing, sadly. Though nothing related to being part of one is good in the slightest.

Edit: About the school uniforms thing, if you think that will ever go away I have some words for you sir. The thing about such established culture is that it doesn't just disappear. It's like the war for independence in the states, or WWII. They're events known far and wide that are accepted as major parts of our culture, and it's not just going to go away. Such things will be remembered fondly with guns/fireworks/parades/memorials.

Be thankful that the U.S. hasn't fought a war over school uniforms.
Old 2013-08-19, 08:39   Link #629
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

@Traece: I admit that you got the point, but is just kind of illogical to see a main character doing something good to a girl, and got her head over heel. Come on, if you reduced Childhood Friend or something like that, Love is still a long process!

Also, when I said "Overflowing", I included that a Harem shouldn't be too big. Sure, we have seen Manga and Anime managed to pull out with that, but I think that a Trio (Freud Trio) or a Quadrup (Tsundere, Yandere, Kuudere and Dandere) should be a balanced number.
Old 2013-08-19, 08:55   Link #630
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
The school girl.
Getting rid of that will satisfy you, and send millions... and no exaggeration here, millions... of Japanese into disappointment.
What you're asking for is the self collapse of the entire freakin' industry, tread carefully.

Quote:
Catgirls, those damn nekos.
Why do I hate them: I don't actually, I just hate that you can't tell if they have human ears or not. They always have long enough hair to hide where their human ears would be.
What to do about them: Confirm or deny that they have two pairs of ears.
... yeah I'm starting to believe this Japanese thing just isn't for you.
Just say "screw those Japs I'm getting back into Star Trek" and forget you ever saw us.
Old 2013-08-19, 09:03   Link #631
SkyHejhogianMaestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Getting rid of that will satisfy you, and send millions... and no exaggeration here, millions... of Japanese into disappointment.
What you're asking for is the self collapse of the entire freakin' industry, tread carefully.

... yeah I'm starting to believe this Japanese thing just isn't for you.
Just say "screw those Japs I'm getting back into Star Trek" and forget you ever saw us.
And another thing: why are all the anime in Japanese?!

And don't think I... uh... I wouldn't um... be disappointed either, um................................................ .................................................. .......................................

But no seriously, when it comes to catgirls WHY THE GOOZIES can't we ever know if they have human ears or not? It's never played with and everytime you see one, they have medium/long hair that hides the sides of their heads.
Just so, so curious. I guess it's not a cliche as much as it is a curiosity that no one seems keen on answering. I guess it looks weird to have 2 pairs of ears?
But isn't it twenty-thousand f**king times weirder to have no ears on the side of your head? Especially if, sans the cat ears and tail, you're completely human?

Can I get an answer just so I can stop wangsting?
Old 2013-08-19, 09:15   Link #632
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:

And don't think I... uh... I wouldn't um... be disappointed either, um................................................ .................................................. .......................................

But no seriously, when it comes to catgirls WHY THE GOOZIES can't we ever know if they have human ears or not? It's never played with and everytime you see one, they have medium/long hair that hides the sides of their heads.
Just so, so curious. I guess it's not a cliche as much as it is a curiosity that no one seems keen on answering. I guess it looks weird to have 2 pairs of ears?
But isn't it twenty-thousand f**king times weirder to have no ears on the side of your head? Especially if, sans the cat ears and tail, you're completely human?

Dude you're thinking too hard.

Girls are cute.
Cats are cute.
Cat girls are cutecute.

That's about the extent of the logic behind its popularity, there's a crapton of kemoners (furry fans) in Japan too.
Old 2013-08-19, 09:19   Link #633
Joyce_Steele
Banned

Bossy British girls and women who had superiority complex. There are male ones as well but they are very rare. Not just anime and even Hollywood is guilty for this cliche or should I say stereotype.
Joyce_Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-19, 09:30   Link #634
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:

Depends on what kind of kemonomimi girl it is
Usually they don't have human ears.

As for their appeal, some of them can be very moe. They are still a combination of a cute animal and a girl (usually more human than animal)

edit: just a random screenshot of my current favorite kemonomimi girl
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-19, 09:56   Link #635
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Joyce_Steele: Or crossed-dress French Girl. I think it all starts with Rose of Versailes.
Old 2013-08-19, 11:07   Link #636
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
@Traece: I admit that you got the point, but is just kind of illogical to see a main character doing something good to a girl, and got her head over heel. Come on, if you reduced Childhood Friend or something like that, Love is still a long process!
It's more believable if the guy is actually hot.

"Love" is indeed a long process....but I also think the word "love" is thrown around too easily. Better to refer to it as "crush", "infatuation", etc. When I was in high school/middle school, I easily got crushes on any handsome boy who did something nice for me-even just a tiny thing. So...I don't actually feel anime exaggerates too much....

On the kemonomimi subject: I'm still going nuts on trying to see whether or not Inuyasha has two sets of ears in his hanyou form. HIS HAIR IS ALWAYS IN THE WAY!!
Old 2013-08-19, 16:07   Link #637
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
It's more believable if the guy is actually hot.

"Love" is indeed a long process....but I also think the word "love" is thrown around too easily. Better to refer to it as "crush", "infatuation", etc. When I was in high school/middle school, I easily got crushes on any handsome boy who did something nice for me-even just a tiny thing. So...I don't actually feel anime exaggerates too much....
Pretty much. It's like Romeo and Juliet. It's this idea of 'love' but what it actually is is typical teenage crush. When I was younger if I had a good relationship with a girl it typically meant that I had a crush on her. So yeah, the thing that's not believable is the girls not being angry and violent in their fight over one guy. That's the real place that fiction is getting it wrong.

Quote:
On the kemonomimi subject: I'm still going nuts on trying to see whether or not Inuyasha has two sets of ears in his hanyou form. HIS HAIR IS ALWAYS IN THE WAY!!

Leave it to Chiibi to raise questions I never would have asked otherwise. Now I'm curious too.
Old 2013-08-19, 17:40   Link #638
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
You might meant "easy to fall in love with an idiot and already willing to get laid on the first day they met just because he is gentle and kind...."
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-15, 08:51   Link #639
Eragon
Still Alive

Turning strong female characters into damsels-in-distress for The Hero to rescue.

GOD I HATE THIS SO MUCH
Old 2013-09-15, 14:24   Link #640
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
Turning strong female characters into damsels-in-distress for The Hero to rescue.

GOD I HATE THIS SO MUCH
Me Too. And it isn't just limited to anime, Hollywood action movies do it too.

Tags
disscusion, manga cliche good bad