Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-07-06, 15:01   Link #521
Millenia
Emotional Shoujo Girl

Send a message via MSN to Millenia
I never get the chance to play any anime games They never come out in England. Only large things like Naruto fighting sims do. I have yet to see anime dating sim to be released in the UK.
I think the only Anime games I have played is Kana(subbed) and Utawarerumono(kanji) and they were by torrent from a friend.

I would like to play the D.C. games but I cant because of retail distribution
Old 2008-07-06, 15:08   Link #522
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenia View Post
I never get the chance to play any anime games They never come out in England. Only large things like Naruto fighting sims do. I have yet to see anime dating sim to be released in the UK.
I think the only Anime games I have played is Kana(subbed) and Utawarerumono(kanji) and they were by torrent from a friend.

I would like to play the D.C. games but I cant because of retail distribution
Well, until recently they haven't really been out in English anyway, so it wasn't just England that was the problem, it was the whole world! That being said, thing are beginning to change amazingly enough, with the pending online English release of the original Da Capo game. If it sells well, who knows -- a translated D.C. II may not be too much to wish for anymore.
Old 2008-07-06, 21:21   Link #523
sikvod00

Thanks for the link, relentless!
Old 2008-07-10, 07:42   Link #524
nikorai

Send a message via ICQ to nikorai
Hello.
I'm bringing the the thread back to the top. I've been pretty busy lately. Just found time to watch the show to the end.
I must say that the last two episodes were very touching, almost put me to tears which it a sign that the show was successful. Of course I'm very sorry for Sakura but it seems there's nothing we can do about it.
Depressing as the anime might be I noticed this thing in the last episode. I wonder if you had the same idea as me:

Sorry, I'm terrible at photoshop. If you can do better that would be pretty much appreciated.

personal page at nikorai1.narod.ru
Old 2008-07-10, 11:24   Link #525
mangalowres
AS Mods Sandbag

There was something like that in "The Shining" .... if I remember right.
Scary.
Old 2008-07-10, 11:51   Link #526
nikorai

Send a message via ICQ to nikorai
mangalowres
Bingo! Right you are. I expected as much.

personal page at nikorai1.narod.ru
Old 2008-07-13, 18:32   Link #527
suguru
京都 ikitai~

Finally got around to watching the last two episodes...while the series had its good points and I'm glad I watched it all the way through, it's still hard not to think it really failed to live up to its potential.

Spoiler for ending of DCIISS:

I'm sure I had my expectations a little too high based on the original series...guess now we can take bets on how long before a DC III game comes out...
Old 2008-07-13, 18:53   Link #528
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by suguru View Post
Spoiler for ending of DCIISS:
Spoiler for From the "things I think you would know if you had played the game" file...:
Old 2008-07-13, 20:40   Link #529
suguru
京都 ikitai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Spoiler for From the "things I think you would know if you had played the game" file...:
Spoiler for DCIISS ending:
Old 2008-07-13, 22:04   Link #530
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Spoiler:
Old 2008-07-14, 06:24   Link #531
MonkeyDude

Completely forgot that this thread existed...

I've read the visual novel before and I agree with how they adapted the storyline into DCII:SS (DCII...they seriously could have done a lot better). I would have seriously preferred the romance (just not a harem series unless the male lead gets hitched at the end), but I agree with rf that viewers would have missed on some of the best parts of the game if they specifically picked a pairing. So many things were either skipped or hinted at that curious viewers might just decide to pick up a copy of the game to see what's up (and the courtesy ero-scene of course).

For the shipping lanes...(if it does exist)

I would think that Nanaka fans would either be somewhat happy or deliriously angry with her treatment. I enjoyed the 'magical' closure of her budding romance (total WTF moment if you don't know the name of Shirakawa) but many would have been annoyed at the lack of apperances (Is that you Nanaka?).

For Koko...just tragic...Sure its nice that she actually did get hitched to the male lead...but not when the writers decided to give him the IQ of a brick when it comes to relationships.

For Minatsu...no comment since I don't like her that much
For Anzu...lack of goth loli makes everyone cry

In retrospect, every other girl sans Otome and Yume were shafted to make room for the 'canon' story of DC2 (although I would think this would have been inevitable to begin wtih).

Again I'll just say that I would have heavily preferred the romance in DCII:SS or the angst love drama that could have been DCII, but new viewers would have missed out on some neat scenes. If given the choice between your moe (and a rather cute tsundere-side) imouto or the charming (and won't kill you with food) onee-chan...can you seriously decide between the two?

@rf
Did you get my reply e-mail?
(is the one who asked about DCII:IF, but has a different s/n in AS boards)
Think someone has my usual nick...
Old 2008-07-14, 15:13   Link #532
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyDude View Post
I would think that Nanaka fans would either be somewhat happy or deliriously angry with her treatment. I enjoyed the 'magical' closure of her budding romance (total WTF moment if you don't know the name of Shirakawa) but many would have been annoyed at the lack of apperances (Is that you Nanaka?).
Yes, this is one of the huge "things you would have known if you had played the game" items in the list, and I was surprised that they never did go back to explain it. If you didn't know what just happened, you'd think she just all of a sudden figured it out. My explanation here is that there's already the D.C. II IF manga, and speaking of which...

Quote:
@rf
Did you get my reply e-mail?
(is the one who asked about DCII:IF, but has a different s/n in AS boards)
Think someone has my usual nick...
Yes, sorry... just haven't had the time to get back to it yet. Hopefully I'll get the chance to look at that again shortly.

Quote:
For Koko...just tragic...Sure its nice that she actually did get hitched to the male lead...but not when the writers decided to give him the IQ of a brick when it comes to relationships.
Well, I do think it's tragic in a way, but I personally thought it was actually pretty well played out. The fact that just having a crush on someone and going out with them isn't enough to make a relationship work is a subject that isn't covered very often in anime (which almost invariably are the other way around). So I actually think it's neat that they tried to do something a bit different, and since they weren't going to do the plot from the game (again, sacrificed for the canon story), I sort of liked what they did with it. And with the way things were left, it's not as if the door is completely closed. So even though almost all the plot deviation came at the expense of Yoshiyuki's personality and emotional IQ, I still liked what they did with it overall.

Quote:
Again I'll just say that I would have heavily preferred the romance in DCII:SS or the angst love drama that could have been DCII, but new viewers would have missed out on some neat scenes. If given the choice between your moe (and a rather cute tsundere-side) imouto or the charming (and won't kill you with food) onee-chan...can you seriously decide between the two?
Ahh... the real question. What I noticed the most, compared to when the original D.C. II anime started, is that I think D.C. II S.S. redeemed Yume, who a lot of English-speaking fans thought they'd dislike since she reminded them at first of Nemu. So, now at the end of the anime, you can actually have people ask themselves that question, which I bet some people never figured they would be asking themselves. People asked me earlier who my favourite D.C. characters are, but now that D.C. II S.S. is over, I'm sort of curious about which characters left the strongest impressions on anime-only viewers as well. Game players were biased.
Old 2008-07-15, 00:51   Link #533
Tran225

Spoiler for questions:
Old 2008-07-15, 01:38   Link #534
MonkeyDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well, I do think it's tragic in a way, but I personally thought it was actually pretty well played out. The fact that just having a crush on someone and going out with them isn't enough to make a relationship work is a subject that isn't covered very often in anime (which almost invariably are the other way around). So I actually think it's neat that they tried to do something a bit different, and since they weren't going to do the plot from the game (again, sacrificed for the canon story), I sort of liked what they did with it. And with the way things were left, it's not as if the door is completely closed. So even though almost all the plot deviation came at the expense of Yoshiyuki's personality and emotional IQ, I still liked what they did with it overall.
The problem is that Koko did try to make the relationship work while Yoshiyuki did his utmost best to completely ignore her. Now this would be alright if he refused her confession...but the guy accepted it without investing any amount of emotional (and physical) effort into it. They didn't do anything but make viewers hate Yoshiyuki (although not to Makoto-esque levels). They tried to be unique and utterly failed at it (a testament to the amount of viewers DCII:SS had). If they did the love angst drama and shoved little tidbits or just completely remove Minatsu's story, pretty sure DCII would have been received better...
Old 2008-07-15, 02:02   Link #535
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

To be fair to Minatsu's story, it's an interesting idea (ie, a man-made AI with programmed human emotions trying to deal with society's expectations for machines to be emotionless) that's been brought up in anime and other media fairly often, but I really can't think up an example of anime or Japanese media where I've seen it done really well. One of the more passable examples is
Spoiler for Ever 17:
but even this eventually devolved into soapy melodrama.

DCII can at least take solace in the fact that it executed this idea better than Chobits, which butchered it, absolutely butchered it.
Old 2008-07-20, 04:14   Link #536
Taricitous

Send a message via MSN to Taricitous
just finished the series, thought it had a nice ending
(ignoring the questions it left us),
it offered a very different feeling from D.C and D.C.S.S wif a bit more complications i thought which was interesting

MMM

Spoiler for wat i thought, questions n replies:

in the end it was like how Yoshiyuki put it wif the puppet show ending i feel like it was a big clue to wat will happen in the end, and will use it now 'no matter what ending you write, those kind of people will always be like that.' so plz dun judge it like so , i think it deserves credit for a well written story, n like how relentlessflames said a few post up, if u rly want a 1 sided ending then play the game n folo dat instead cheers relentless, i will do dat also
Old 2008-07-26, 13:04   Link #537
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

Taricitous: U mentioned "resurrection of the sakura tree" but i got the impression that i kind of dissapeared... correct me if i got it wrong.

I also would like to know if there are any plans for a new season or OVAs cause leaving the story like that isnt very nice >.< I had the impression that they would stay like that forever... and the idea of 2 sisters in love with the same guy isnt right .. -.-
Old 2008-07-27, 12:06   Link #538
Taricitous

For incube:

Spoiler for reply:

mmm an OVA should b interesting however i dun recall D.C or D.C.S.S having an OVA tho, so it prob wont either besides 2 sisters in love wif 1 guy isnt rly uncommon is it? i dun get how it isnt rite *cough* nuthing wrong wif em either *cough* hehe
Old 2008-07-28, 02:52   Link #539
OmegaPhlare
The Romanticism

Is the second season better than the first or is it just different? Reading through this thread, there is talk about this anime being nerfed just to show more parts of the game. That sounds like it would be a horrible experience to someone who hasn't played the game. And this talk about the sakura trees... is it explained clearly in watching the second season or should I re-watch the original Da Capo to get the big picture? Was that anime even sufficient for explaining the sakura trees?

I'm sorry to say it and I'm sure these exact same points have already been made, but Da Capo II the first season was so wrong that I immediately wiped it from my hard drive. I can see why one of the fansub groups lost interest and started leaving spelling errors in the last five episodes. I throw a yellow flag at the banana-hating robot: unnecessary drama. So completely unnecessary that I do not care for nor will I take the time to philosophize on how robot rights should be handled. Now Armitage III... THAT made me think about martian rights and what it had meant to be a robot. When I saw the band playing music at the end of Da Capo first season, I was already screaming "Why the hell did I watch this series!? How dare they! I feel violated (jk)."

This isn't a complaint post. I'm honestly saying that I'm open to watching Second Season if some of you guys don't believe it is a slap to the face. If you didn't like the first season, but you like this one, you would easily convince me to watch it. There are so many mixed opinions right now.
Old 2008-07-28, 03:52   Link #540
Taricitous

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaPhlare View Post
Is the second season better than the first or is it just different? Reading through this thread, there is talk about this anime being nerfed just to show more parts of the game. That sounds like it would be a horrible experience to someone who hasn't played the game. And this talk about the sakura trees... is it explained clearly in watching the second season or should I re-watch the original Da Capo to get the big picture? Was that anime even sufficient for explaining the sakura trees?

I'm sorry to say it and I'm sure these exact same points have already been made, but Da Capo II the first season was so wrong that I immediately wiped it from my hard drive. I can see why one of the fansub groups lost interest and started leaving spelling errors in the last five episodes. I throw a yellow flag at the banana-hating robot: unnecessary drama. So completely unnecessary that I do not care for nor will I take the time to philosophize on how robot rights should be handled. Now Armitage III... THAT made me think about martian rights and what it had meant to be a robot. When I saw the band playing music at the end of Da Capo first season, I was already screaming "Why the hell did I watch this series!? How dare they! I feel violated (jk)."

This isn't a complaint post. I'm honestly saying that I'm open to watching Second Season if some of you guys don't believe it is a slap to the face. If you didn't like the first season, but you like this one, you would easily convince me to watch it. There are so many mixed opinions right now.
OK

Spoiler for To save room + minor spoilers for those who have not seen any D.C series:

I hope that helps clear things up for you OmegaPhlare

Tags
bishoujo, circus, drama, romance, school life, seinen