AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-12-23, 19:51   Link #381
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
How did we prove that? Which series are you referring to? I'm genuinely curious.
"We" is supposed to be the viewers and the one who bought the DVDs of noitaminA series. I just realized that not all of us are able to watch on noitaminA straight from the Japanese airwaves. As for the series I'm referring to, it's "all of them". Wasn't noitaminA was created to deliver anime series that are "different" from the usual ones produced outside of the timeslot, whether if it involves a wider audience or otherwise?
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-23, 20:03   Link #382
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
"We" is supposed to be the viewers and the one who bought the DVDs of noitaminA series. I just realized that not all of us are able to watch on noitaminA straight from the Japanese airwaves. As for the series I'm referring to, it's "all of them". Wasn't noitaminA was created to deliver anime series that are "different" from the usual ones produced outside of the timeslot, whether if it involves a wider audience or otherwise?
Well, your argument seemed to be that anime could reach that "wider audience" without noitaminA, and that a particular series proved that. But I guess I misread you there.
Old 2012-12-23, 21:11   Link #383
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

It isn't wholly (or even mostly) about reaching a wider audience. It's about giving shows that would otherwise never be aired a chance to be seen. I can think of many examples without even trying - Sarai-ya Goyou, Hourou Musuko and Natsuyuki Rendzvous are just the first that pop into my mind - of shows that would almost assuredly never have been made if NoitaminA didn't exist. And that makes its demise a small-t tragedy in the narrow focus of the anime universe.

No new content in Spring pretty much means the end. There's always the possibility of a miracle, but the odds are stacked against it.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-24, 00:51   Link #384
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Wasn't noitaminA was created to deliver anime series that are "different" from the usual ones produced outside of the timeslot, whether if it involves a wider audience or otherwise?
Fuji TV created the block to target women in their 20s. Their initial strategy was to produce adaptations of popular josei manga.

Now if you're referring to Koji Yamamoto (who eventually became chief producer), then yeah, he's more interested in creating unique shows that defy expectations. However, that wasn't the actual purpose of the block, and some of his programming decisions bothered production studios.

Quote:
how the heck would you be able to cater to the general audience if your timeslot is the same as most anime series anyway?
Early on, ratings (which were significantly higher than those of most late night shows) showed continuous growth, so something was working. The stability/gradual growth suggested that they had established a dependable viewership who would tune in season after season.

Nevertheless, the model proved to be unsustainable for several reasons.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-24, 02:50   Link #385
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
Well, your argument seemed to be that anime could reach that "wider audience" without noitaminA, and that a particular series proved that. But I guess I misread you there.
I think you understood my point well, although I'm not too knowledgeable with an anime series' ratings based on gender and age.

Quote:
It isn't wholly (or even mostly) about reaching a wider audience. It's about giving shows that would otherwise never be aired a chance to be seen. I can think of many examples without even trying - Sarai-ya Goyou, Hourou Musuko and Natsuyuki Rendzvous are just the first that pop into my mind - of shows that would almost assuredly never have been made if NoitaminA didn't exist. And that makes its demise a small-t tragedy in the narrow focus of the anime universe.
I remember the "troll charts" that /a/ usually posts.

For those who don't know, "troll charts" are designed to look similar to a seasonal anime lineup, but only contains what /a/ thinks would make it in a particular season in the future. They're so-called "troll charts" because they tend to troll people into "keeping their hopes up that <insert favorite anime series here> would get an anime series or another season, etc.

Initially, people thought that some anime series would never get an anime because of several factors, and has appeared in a few troll charts as well. however, over the course of time, the same series that made it to a troll chart eventually gets an anime series announcement. (Cue the shitstorms about Rozen Maiden getting another anime after a loooooong time.)

I think even josei media have a chance for an adaptation. It may look slim, but that's simply how the competition in getting a anime works.

Quote:
Fuji TV created the block to target women in their 20s. Their initial strategy was to produce adaptations of popular josei manga.

Now if you're referring to Koji Yamamoto (who eventually became chief producer), then yeah, he's more interested in creating unique shows that defy expectations. However, that wasn't the actual purpose of the block, and some of his programming decisions bothered production studios.

Early on, ratings (which were significantly higher than those of most late night shows) showed continuous growth, so something was working. The stability/gradual growth suggested that they had established a dependable viewership who would tune in season after season.

Nevertheless, the model proved to be unsustainable for several reasons.
^ From what I read on your post, it seems that noitaminA was just as niche as or more niche than the standard anime series timeslot. That late-night slot doesn't really help the cause at all.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-24, 11:45   Link #386
cyth
Banned

Yeah it was, but the block still had the highest ratings when they aired shows with cross appeal between josei and general audiences, case in point Nodame &co. As Yamamoto himself pointed out on numerous occasions, Noitamina's success was tied to original manga's popularity. Now that popular manga are few and far between, Noitamina had to switch to other types of adaptations, and now to originals.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-30, 23:08   Link #387
firetiger027

I was pretty shocked when I saw there wouldn't be any new shows for spring/ Weren't there rumors about the Spring Noitamina shows being Space Dandy and an untitled A-1 mecha show? I wonder are they being pushed back to summer or if they're not really Noitamina shows after all.
firetiger027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-12, 14:06   Link #388
Utsuro no Hako

Rumors of Noitamina's demise may be premature since it turns out they'll be airing Silver Spoon later this year. Considering it was one of the top selling manga last year, it should be profitable for them, and it's not a huge departure the way Guilty Crown and PsychoPass are.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-12, 14:14   Link #389
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
Rumors of Noitamina's demise may be premature since it turns out they'll be airing Silver Spoon later this year. Considering it was one of the top selling manga last year, it should be profitable for them, and it's not a huge departure the way Guilty Crown and PsychoPass are.
What ? I can't believe P-P turn out to be a failure, and I really wish it doesn't go downhill later.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-12, 14:20   Link #390
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

noitaminA airing Silver Spoon is definitely good news. It should help improve the ratings and maybe even salvage the block. I really really hope this will be successful.
Old 2013-01-12, 14:31   Link #391
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaoFan View Post
What ? I can't believe P-P turn out to be a failure, and I really wish it doesn't go downhill later.
I like Psycho Pass and I don't think it's anywhere close to Guilty Crown in comparison. Psycho Pass is an actual good series

But what Utsuro no Hako means is it doesn't really feel like a traditional NoitaminA show and I agree.

I think Silver Spoon fits the block much more. But now I wonder how long the series will be. The manga is a weekly but NoitaminA series are generally only 1 or 2 cours.
Old 2013-01-12, 15:17   Link #392
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaoFan View Post
PsychoPass isn't a failure, but it's a pretty big departure from the classic noitaminA that gave us Honey and Clover, Nodame Cantabile, and Moyashimon, whereas Silver Spoon fits that list perfectly.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-12, 15:54   Link #393
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

Silver Spoon? Sounds good. Now we just need that Sangatsu no Lion announcement to go with it, in whatever season it starts airing. I mean, if the point was to make good adaptations of famous manga that would work for both fans and the general audience, what's taking them so long? I realize that, before, the manga might've been lacking material, but I'm fairly certain you could make at least a first season of Sangatsu with what's out there by now.

Oh well, here's hoping. I don't always love everything noitaminA airs, but frankly, it'd be a big waste to see it go. For every BRS or AnoHana we got, the block also gave us Mononoke and Honey and Clover, which were incredibly good shows.
Old 2013-01-12, 16:09   Link #394
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-kun View Post
Silver Spoon? Sounds good. Now we just need that Sangatsu no Lion announcement to go with it, in whatever season it starts airing. I mean, if the point was to make good adaptations of famous manga that would work for both fans and the general audience, what's taking them so long? I realize that, before, the manga might've been lacking material, but I'm fairly certain you could make at least a first season of Sangatsu with what's out there by now.
I am actually surprised a series for this hasn't happened either with the manga's success.

But then Honey & Clover was lucky enough to get a full adaption, maybe they are waiting for that for this series too.

On another note I don't really think Ano Hana & BRS are that comparable.
Old 2013-01-12, 16:16   Link #395
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
PsychoPass isn't a failure, but it's a pretty big departure from the classic noitaminA that gave us Honey and Clover, Nodame Cantabile, and Moyashimon, whereas Silver Spoon fits that list perfectly.
A departure in terms of genre sure but psycho pass is still trying to reach out a general audience,there's a reason they got a live action director to supervise the whole thing.
Old 2013-01-12, 16:18   Link #396
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I am actually surprised a series for this hasn't happened either with the manga's success.

But then Honey & Clover was lucky enough to get a full adaption, maybe they are waiting for that for this series too.

Yeah, it boggles my mind too, that Sangatsu still didn't get adapted. Honey and Clover got a full adaptation, but it was also split between two seasons, so if they were really 'needing' something to give the block a push, I don't see why Sangatsu wouldn't fit that criterion perfectly.

As for BRS and Ano Hana, don't mean any disrespect to the fans (of which there are a lot), but it never worked for me. Often times I just found the reasoning (and actions) of the characters very hard to believe, and the whole melodramatic feel didn't click with me either. BRS... well, no comments. At least the action was okay, I guess?
Old 2013-01-12, 16:25   Link #397
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-kun View Post
As for BRS and Ano Hana, don't mean any disrespect to the fans (of which there are a lot), but it never worked for me. Often times I just found the reasoning (and actions) of the characters very hard to believe, and the whole melodramatic feel didn't click with me either. BRS... well, no comments. At least the action was okay, I guess?
Well I did enjoy Ano Hana (even though I agree with you about the melodrama) but I think it still had some mainstream appeal that BRS certainly didn't,

I think BRS and Guilty Crown would be the two better paired series for ones that really did not belong on the block. But perhaps this is just my bias against these series talking.

As for series that could have fit NoitaminA I think Chihayafuru would have been perfect for the block, but I am actually glad it's not there because we never would have gotten 50 episodes of it.
Old 2013-01-12, 20:47   Link #398
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post

I'm also surprised no one has animated that manga yet. Personally, I'm hoping for Otoyomegatari or Flat, though I know it's a one in a million shot for either. It's just nice to know the block isn't disappearing quite yet.

And yes, I would go even farther and say ANoHana and BRS are in no way whatsoever comparable as NoitaminA fodder or otherwise. They're both anime - that's as far as it goes.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 06:29   Link #399
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo
And yes, I would go even farther and say ANoHana and BRS are in no way whatsoever comparable as NoitaminA fodder or otherwise. They're both anime - that's as far as it goes.
Haha, slightly off-topic, but the only reason I quoted both together is because they're both shows I'm not particularly fond of which aired on the block. Thinking back on it, maybe I should've gone with something a bit more similar, but my intent was simply to contrast two shows I did not appreciate against two of my favourite ones in it, not exactly strike up a comparison between BRS and Ano Hana. I guess I wasn't too clear on it, so I apologize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim
As for series that could have fit NoitaminA I think Chihayafuru would have been perfect for the block, but I am actually glad it's not there because we never would have gotten 50 episodes of it.
Indeed, Chihaya would probably have been a good match. It's funny, too, because it does remind me a bit of Sangatsu, which instead of karuta has shogi, which is yet another typically japanese game. The differenc eis that Chihaya is a lot more of a sports series than Sangatsu, but, yeah...
Old 2013-01-13, 09:31   Link #400
Dop
Mmmm....

Woo-hoo, there's life in the old dog yet!

I'd not known anything about Silver Spoon before today, but a quick look around makes me think it'll be a good fit.

Something to look forward to in the summer season.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote