AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kill La Kill

Notices

Old 2014-06-02, 19:58   Link #1481
Ravagerblade
The Fearless

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
The English cast bugs me, but it's more a jarring bug than an "Eww, that sucks" bug. Should be better in context. Wouldn't be surprised to see the show on [AS] within a year.

"Goku Uniforms" sounds weird spoken aloud... Still better than "Ultima Uniforms", though...
Totally true; Kamui sounds better but meh. it won't happen.

“No, I don’t get it at all. I may claim to ‘understand’ Othinus, but I only know her as a girl. I don’t understand anything when it comes to her being a Magic God.” - Touma NT13
Ravagerblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-03, 01:43   Link #1482
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
"Goku Uniforms" sounds weird spoken aloud... Still better than "Ultima Uniforms", though...
"Goku Uniform" is half-translated and sidesteps a pun ("Gokusei" + "Seifuku") instead of replacing it with one that works in English, but "Ultima Uniform" is just plain awful.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-03, 21:47   Link #1483
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

The benefit with "Goku Uniform" is that it automatically gives it the air of OPness, thanks to the ubiquity of DragonBall. Has nothing to do with the original meaning, but the original pun is basically untranslatable, so you take what you can get.
Old 2014-06-04, 03:25   Link #1484
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
My main issue would be with Senketsu. He doesn't sound as old as I'd like him to sound. But I'm not sure if that should be blamed on the voice actor himself, or on the people who made the casting decision.
Senketsu really demonstrates the problem with the dub (at least in the trailer), which is that the voice pitches really feel off. Nonon seems to be the closest to her original voice, but there's an incredible range of vocal pitches in the Japanese version and here....a lot of it sounds hollow. Points to Ira's voice actor for trying, but there's too much growl and not enough presence. Reminds me of Zaraki Kenpachi's dub voice.
Old 2014-06-05, 18:08   Link #1485
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Reminds me of Zaraki Kenpachi's dub voice.
Imagine that, being they're the same guy (well, eventually).
Old 2014-06-07, 14:06   Link #1486
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Ladies & Gentlemen, I hereby, in this belated declaration:

I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT.

THIS SHOW IS AWESOME!!!

That is all.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-07, 19:15   Link #1487
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Yes, yes it is. Welcome!

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-10, 22:10   Link #1488
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Senketsu really demonstrates the problem with the dub (at least in the trailer), which is that the voice pitches really feel off. Nonon seems to be the closest to her original voice, but there's an incredible range of vocal pitches in the Japanese version and here....a lot of it sounds hollow. Points to Ira's voice actor for trying, but there's too much growl and not enough presence. Reminds me of Zaraki Kenpachi's dub voice.
As much as we talk about how high-pitched anime female voices often are, I find it's also true that some anime male voices are rather deep and baritone, yet also impressively clear. Ira is definitely a good example of that. You almost need a James Earl Jones for some anime characters.
Old 2014-06-11, 09:45   Link #1489
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I find it's also true that some anime male voices are rather deep and baritone

Or anything voiced by Norio Wakamoto. Now if Ira ever had Norio Wakamoto's voice...

Edit: Bad idea, as he'd overshadow everyone else.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.

Last edited by Tak; 2014-06-11 at 10:16.
Old 2014-06-11, 22:22   Link #1490
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post

Or anything voiced by Norio Wakamoto. Now if Ira ever had Norio Wakamoto's voice...

Edit: Bad idea, as he'd overshadow everyone else.

- Tak
Heh. It's funny you bring that video up, because Ira actually made me think a bit of Gihren Zabi early on. Or, to be precise, a teenaged Gihren Zabi doing a ridiculous amount of steroids.
Old 2014-06-11, 23:00   Link #1491
Tak

And I immediately recalled Gihren's scene after I watched

Oh yeah, talk about ham to ham combat.

- Tak

Old 2014-06-13, 23:31   Link #1492
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

So Romi Park is the female Norio Wakamoto...

Okay, I'll buy that...
Old 2014-06-19, 22:09   Link #1493
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

I like all the casting choices except maybe Senketsu.
I'm usually very closed to English dubs, but except for Senketsu who's most probably going to grow on me, the voices sound really awesome! I especially like Gamagori/Nonon/Satsuki/Ryuko/Mako (SILICA YES! )/ and I'm excited for Nui/Ragyo.

I will say that there are only two scenarios in which I like an English dub and these scenarios happen pretty rarely.

Scenario 1: The VA's are all good and sound like the original version.

Scenario 2: The VA's are all good and they have their own unique style that also grows on me and it feels like another interpretation/version.

I feel like Scenario 2 is upon me this time!

I'm pretty excited. I wasn't expecting them to put this much effort into dubbing this, but I'm definitely excited from the trailer.

Like I said before, I can't wait to watch this again, except in English. I really wanted to rewatch the whole series at some point, and watching it with this new cast is the perfect opportunity to do this.

Also, Goku uniform is a perfect name as mentioned above because of the ubiquity of DBZ. It basically just sounds epic in the first place, though I'm biased since I love DBZ.

Also, I'm excited for that big announcement in September. Since it isn't the OVA, it would really be awesome if they have a movie or season 2! I know Season 2 is unlikely, but it would still be awesome.
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-19, 22:16   Link #1494
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

I like David Vincent, but he sounds too young and smooth for Senketsu. He should sound rougher, more ragged. Toshihiko Seki sounded kinda like a mad scientist and it totally suited the character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
Scenario 2: The VA's are all good and they have their own unique style that also grows on me and it feels like another interpretation/version.
I'm getting this feeling as well. Like you said, Senketsu's is the main voice that feels kinda off to me.
Old 2014-06-25, 13:12   Link #1495
OkamiNoKaze

Wow this is probably the fastest dub turnover ever, it's only been about 6 months since it ended, and 9 since it started.
Old 2014-06-25, 17:47   Link #1496
Kamijou Touma IB
Imagine Breaker

Just finished the series, wow, I am impressed. I saw the 1st episode and thought, what I am watching. Glad I stuck through to the end.
Kamijou Touma IB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-01, 10:08   Link #1497
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I watched the Blu-ray raw for episode 16 which includes the scene with Satsuki and Ragyo in the bath. Unlike the usual ecchi strategy, all the steam appears in the BR version as well. Guess there will be some disappointed otaku who had hoped to catch a glimpse of some drawings of nipples.

I give credit to Imaishi and Trigger for standing by their original vision and not pandering to the marketplace in this regard.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-21, 22:09   Link #1498
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
YouTube
Old 2014-08-24, 06:55   Link #1499
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
YouTube
This was pretty interesting/good. I rather liked it. GO PBS.
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-31, 04:07   Link #1500
ukulelembo
Detective

Spoiler for You wanted beach episode?:
ukulelembo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, aniplex, comedy, fanservice, high school, imaishi, trigger