AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-04-15, 18:46   Link #21
Schneizel
uwu
*Fansubber

I don't see how this is "unlike" them. I mean, they simulcasted Phantom. Also the connection has been there... One Piece airs on Fuji TV, the noitaminA slot is also on Fuji TV. Hey, I think they just might be buddies with Fuji TV. Additionally I don't see how simulcasting equates to success. In fact, I think it's quite the opposite. A simulcast partnership doesn't guarantee that DVDs/BDs will be released stateside. Funi has promised nothing about Phantom, in example. Simulcasting seems to be a way to legitimately sub and make available an anime that would have no success in in the states. :V
Schneizel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-15, 19:07   Link #22
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

More in a surprise since they usually license crap fast and anything good takes them months to license.
Old 2010-04-15, 22:49   Link #23
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

An excellent, excellent start. From the OP music and the Japanese typeface, I was hooked. It took me about ten seconds to get used to the flat look. (And I noticed Studio 4°C in the end credits, so Mochizuki went to the source.)

Lovely adult tone, perfect background music. Nice visual compositions and visual and aural rhythms. The ebb and flow of the personalities worked. And the voice acting really worked: Sakurai Takahiro as Yaichi was particularly good. Hypnotic.

As MikaMiaka says, a definite feeling of Mushishi -- but I liked this first episode better, myself.

Now we'll see where Mochizuki takes it -- and I do mean him, since he both wrote and directed the show, to say nothing of being his own sound director.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-16, 00:17   Link #24
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Oh until I saw this thread shifted had no idea it was out . So watching it tonight ^^
Old 2010-04-16, 01:05   Link #25
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
An excellent, excellent start. From the OP music and the Japanese typeface, I was hooked. It took me about ten seconds to get used to the flat look. (And I noticed Studio 4°C in the end credits, so Mochizuki went to the source.)

Lovely adult tone, perfect background music. Nice visual compositions and visual and aural rhythms. The ebb and flow of the personalities worked. And the voice acting really worked: Sakurai Takahiro as Yaichi was particularly good. Hypnotic.

As MikaMiaka says, a definite feeling of Mushishi -- but I liked this first episode better, myself.

Now we'll see where Mochizuki takes it -- and I do mean him, since he both wrote and directed the show, to say nothing of being his own sound director.
The manga it originated from was made by the same manga-ka who did Ristorante Paradiso. Same art style and maturity, for sure.
Old 2010-04-16, 02:59   Link #26
Kunagisa

Quote:
An excellent, excellent start. From the OP music and the Japanese typeface, I was hooked. It took me about ten seconds to get used to the flat look.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikaMiaka View Post
^^I just saw it on Hulu. It was really, really good. Awesome BGM. The character designs take getting used to, but once you get used to it, the "ugliness" dissipates.
Oh man, although I understand you two enjoyed the episode, but those are some adjectives that I wouldn't use to describe the characters. Before even seeing the characters in motion I already find the hallow, grim look they carry very encapsulating—mysterious, timeless, and calculating. Seeing them in motion just reaffirms my earlier thoughts.

For me, going into this series I expected a lot, and the first episode definitely answers my expectation. For me this is the real must watch of this season, everything about the first episode rubs me the right way. Wimpy Akitsu, perceptive Yaichi, and captivating Madame provide for a wonderful preview of how the characters will be and what the viewers should expect. I especially love the eyes—they provide such wonderful storytelling of the characters. The story doesn't seem that interesting so far, but Manglobe definitely did a very impressive job of keeping me interested (even when I'm severely sleep and food deprived at the break of the dawn). No fancy animation sequences, just pure characters and story, 100% awesomeness.

Job well done. Very much looking forward to episode 2.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-16, 03:35   Link #27
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
The manga it originated from was made by the same manga-ka who did Ristorante Paradiso. Same art style and maturity, for sure.
Yeah i thought so. Both share the same character designs, so it was the only possible connection.
Old 2010-04-16, 03:58   Link #28
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Damn that was one weird first episode. I expected a totally srsbsns OP and i get this really upbeat one instead. And the ED has this disco pop theme aswell. Wtf was up with that? And the those character designs are awful. I don't know if I'll get used to that. And yeah I saw that whole "useless ronin who's actually badass in combat" thing a mile away. I was atleast expecting an awesome fight scene but they barely showed anything!

Other than that, it seemed pretty okay. I generally like 'chivalrous thieves' stories, so I think I'm gonna like this one.

Last edited by Haak; 2010-04-16 at 04:08.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-16, 06:03   Link #29
Starry Dust
Lurkin' in ur threadz.

I for one, think the art style is attractive
Actually, it's one of the reasons why I checked out this series ....plus it's animated by Manglobe!

Yeah, the combat scenes left alot to be desired but action doesn't seem to be the main focus of this show, which I don't mind. It's no Samurai Champloo, but I still found it enjoyable. I love how it has that lazy/calm slice of life feel to it. And the BG music makes it all the more better.

Though, honestly I agree about the ED song.
It sucks.
Starry Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-16, 08:49   Link #30
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

I love the OP!! The music and animation was just super cool. PLUS TAKASAKU IS YAICHI! Honestly the character design doesnt bother me, Im watching this soley based upon is being in the noitaminA time slot But I like what Ive seen so far.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-16, 09:00   Link #31
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Regarding the noitamina time slot, looks like it had poor ratings. A shame really.
Old 2010-04-16, 09:58   Link #32
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Regarding the noitamina time slot, looks like it had poor ratings. A shame really.
I was really surprised to hear it did so poorly. Interestingly on the non-Japanese front based on message boards and blogs it seems to be highly regarded. But then it is just the 1st episode so maybe the ratings will increase.

As for myself I am not entirely sure about the character designs but I already like the ambiguity of the characters & story. The backgrounds were also very pretty.
Old 2010-04-16, 10:47   Link #33
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikaMiaka View Post
It oddly reminds me of Mushishi--the pacing, and the strange laid-back personality of the main character, Yaichi. Loving Takahiro Sakurai's voice for Yaichi -- wow, this man has a certain cadence quality to his voice that cannot be denied.
Agreed. And about Yaichi, it's not just his personality, his chara design is also very reminiscent of Ginko with the white hair and green eyes. Takahiro Sakurai is indeed great... I've loved him ever since Mononoke. One of the very male voice actors I think can sound very... sexy.

As I expected, I loved the first episode. Great visuals and BGMs, and very good character interaction. Can't say much about the plot right now, I'm expecting this series to be more character driven anyway. Sad to hear it did poorly...
Old 2010-04-16, 11:41   Link #34
klare

the bg looks very nice but the human chars look weird (a bit better than Shoka)

it is very funny when Akitsu said "what a beautiful women"... the cat looks much cuter

as for the story, so far it is ok, the decision on "pride or rice" is actually quite simple to make
klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-16, 12:56   Link #35
DmonHiro

Send a message via Yahoo to DmonHiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I was really surprised to hear it did so poorly. Interestingly on the non-Japanese front based on message boards and blogs it seems to be highly regarded. But then it is just the 1st episode so maybe the ratings will increase.

As for myself I am not entirely sure about the character designs but I already like the ambiguity of the characters & story. The backgrounds were also very pretty.

You are making a small mistake. Yes, it might have been highly regarded, but by VERY few people. For example, on AniDB, so far Sarai-ya has 9 votes. On day one, almost every other show had at least 20. K-ON and Angel Beats had 30-35 votes on day one. The people liking this are vocal, but very few in numbers, so it's perfectly logical that the show is a ratings bomb.
DmonHiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-16, 13:01   Link #36
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmonHiro View Post
You are making a small mistake. Yes, it might have been highly regarded, but by VERY few people. For example, on AniDB, so far Sarai-ya has 9 votes. On day one, almost every other show had at least 20. K-ON and Angel Beats had 30-35 votes on day one. The people liking this are vocal, but very few in numbers, so it's perfectly logical that the show is a ratings bomb.
I don't think I am making a mistake at all. You are comparing this show to two shows done by Kyoani which are very Otaku centered. That's a ridiculous comparison. This is a noitaminA show so I am not expecting it to be the "big hit" of the year but considering the praise it is getting in comparison to other noitaminA series yes I did think its ratings would be a bit higher.

edit: My mistake I guess Angel Beats isn't animated by Kyoani. Well it's a Key series so same idea.
Old 2010-04-16, 13:10   Link #37
DmonHiro

Send a message via Yahoo to DmonHiro
No no, that's not what I meant. I used those two shows because they were the first to pop into my head. I meant that you shouldn't expect the ratings to be high just because the show is held in high regard by people on forums/groups/facebook/etc. It's the numbers that count.
DmonHiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-16, 13:16   Link #38
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmonHiro View Post
No no, that's not what I meant. I used those two shows because they were the first to pop into my head. I meant that you shouldn't expect the ratings to be high just because the show is held in high regard by people on forums/groups/facebook/etc. It's the numbers that count.
Oh okay well I think we both misunderstand each other. When I say I expect the ratings to be higher I only mean in comparison to similar types of shows in the same time slot. For a noitaminA series it's ratings just seem very low and I don't understand why.
Old 2010-04-16, 13:54   Link #39
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
...it is very funny when Akitsu said "what a beautiful women"....
I think that was in the script because Mochizuki knew that the style was different and people wouldn't realize she was supposed to be beautiful unless he said it.

This show seems so good to me that it weirds me out that the audience didn't like it. But perhaps it's due to the fact that the strange (but now wonderful, to me) look is not coupled with anything more immediately attractive to the target audience, such as the reverse harem and Italy aspects of Ristorante Paradiso.

When I used the term "flat," I should have said "superflat." I wasn't criticizing it, just saying that I thought (correctly or incorrectly) that it fell into the superflat style associated with Studio 4°C.

Like Kirarakim, I liked "the ambiguity of the characters & story." And like stuopidget, I found the look "mysterious, timeless, and calculating." Good descriptions.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-16, 14:07   Link #40
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
This show seems so good to me that it weirds me out that the audience didn't like it.
At the end of the day, it's the type of show that isn't everyone's cup of tea. We get a couple of shows each season which fall into this category, and it's a shame because they personally end up being my favorite shows of said season.

At least we've got a nice group here who are liking what they see from the first episode, and that's enough to make me pleased.

Tags
jidaigeki, manglobe, noitamina, seinen