AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-06-05, 17:22   Link #581
macdawson

I know the person who made the english subs has posted here and i hope i don't offend him with all this.
But listening to the sentence where the first of those wretched yesterdays is spoken (mark 6m 28s) i hear the word "Senshu" wich translates to "last week" but no "kinou" (yesterday).
macdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-05, 18:01   Link #582
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well looking at things in progression.

Sometime before 2190; Earth had a conflict with its colony on Mars.

Sometime between 2190 and 2192, First Contact with Gamilus...start of the war.

Between 2191 and 2198: War with Gamilus and later the continual Planet Bombing (post-Second Battle of Mars).

Sometime Early in 2198 or late in 2197: First Contact with Iscandar

Earth's First Fleet leaves Earth (unspecific time in 2198)

Earth First Fleet arrives at Mars to drop off Shima and Kodai (End of December 2198).

Three weeks pass...

Battle at Pluto (1/17/2199)

Three weeks pass until Kirishima arrives at Mars.

An unknown amount of time passes before Kirishima arrives back at Earth. (this can be plotted out if one has a Celetial program and can figure out the planet's orbital positions in January of 2199...then using this to figure out Kirishima's average speed from Pluto to Mars over the course of three weeks. From that speed one could figure out how long it would take to get from Mars to Earth via a relatively direct route)

That day Kodai and Shima are debriefed, Okita is examined at the Central Hospital.

Later that same day the capsule is analyzed. Also the Gamilus recon craft is spotted. Kodai and Shima take the Cosmo Zero to fight it off. An hour or less later the Gamilus Carrier attacks Yamato. The sun is setting as the fight ends.

Early the next day (or near midnight that same day), Shima, Kodai, and Kato are at the Hospital. Okita has his meeting with the UN Representatives and says that due to the attack he will launch in 72 hours. Gamilus launch their missile to hit Yamato from Pluto Base.

It is assumed that it is only a little after that on the same day that the meeting is held as Kato still has his bandages from the hospital, and that Okita says the capsule message was from "yesterday". Ship launch is now 0600 hours the following day. (is is possible that another day was tucked in here somehow save for what happens later on Yamato).

The crew is shown packing and leaving though the day and evening (hard to guess time since they are all underground). I will note that when we see Kato after the meeting, he no longer has his bandage.

After Kodai arrives he goes to see the Captain. It is either very early the next day or very late at night (assumed early morning, since his arrival back on the bridge following this talk is just before the gamilus missile is spotted). During this talk Okita mentions the previous choices for department heads were killed "yesterday" in the Gamilus attack. If it has been only around 24-30 hours since the Gamilus Carrier strike on Yamato, and rough "yesterday" is fine since the sun hasn't come up yet on whatever day this is.

Shortly after this the crew is on the bridge. The Wave Motion Engine is powered up and the ship activates at sunrise (fitting the traditional image of Japan as the "Land of the Rising Sun"). This likely would be mid-February, so a 0600 sunrise is possible...though more likely to be later than that.

If the timeline is correct, it has been less than 72 hours since Kirishima came home. It would be safe to assume that this is incorrect, since even heroes need to sleep.

Though sometimes there just doesn't seem to be enough time in the day. Take Kato for instance. He and Yamamoto have both changed into civilian clothing after the meeting. So there must have been more than enough time for everyone to get home and sleep before making for the ship. However Jiro is quite awake when Shima leaves on the bus. It makes it seem like this happens at some point during the day, rather than during the night. Since Kodai and the others get their in their normal uniforms, then change into their Yamato uniforms..there is time there. But their doesn't seem to be time to sleep, or really acclamate to the ship and its systems if they leave at 0600 the following day and they have time to do stuff....like pack. It almost seems like there would be another day in their, or else the meeting was early in the morning.

If there was another day between the Carrier's sunset attack on Yamato and the meeting it would make more sense (also allow for Okita's 72 hours). Also allow for Kato's hand to be better late in the day of the meeting.

But military life can be fast and furious when the survival of humanity is at stake.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-06-05 at 18:16.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-05, 18:49   Link #583
August138

MacDawson: Points taken, but you'll have to excuse me, since I was just going by memory. With that being said, even between the Previews for Episode 2 and Episode 3, Okita's narration only accounts for one day passing (365 and 364 "Days Left" between the end of Episode 1 and the end of Episode 2). I wonder if the proper context is "We'll set sail within 72 hours" versus "We'll set sail in 72 hours"? That would make a big difference. Will have to re-watch and listen to the scene — the problem may be inherent in the English Subtitle script trying to be concise as possible, and thus inadvertently creating this conundrum (based on your catching the use of "Senshu" versus "Kinou").

(BTW, I wasn't going to say, "If you read my...", because I assume you're an adult and can read. )
Old 2012-06-06, 01:32   Link #584
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

In game terms: Wave Motion Shields, just became basically "Plot Armor". The missing piece to make Yamato basically invincible on the table top. (Just convert the Wave Motion Gun's power needs and damage potental into a shield. That will stop a lot of Gamilon fire.)

Of course I gave the Gamilons a smaller version of it. Nowhere near as powerful, but able to stop one or two (maybe even three) shots from pre-Yamato Earth ships. Might even stop one of Yamato's shots. But only one, at long range. And it won't stop the effects of the Fusion Shells.

The pre-Yamato Earth ships have no such shield.

I'll test them out this weekend as I intend to have a playtest for the convention game in September.
Old 2012-06-06, 03:54   Link #585
macdawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by August138 View Post
MacDawson: Points taken, but you'll have to excuse me, since I was just going by memory. With that being said, even between the Previews for Episode 2 and Episode 3, Okita's narration only accounts for one day passing (365 and 364 "Days Left" between the end of Episode 1 and the end of Episode 2). I wonder if the proper context is "We'll set sail within 72 hours" versus "We'll set sail in 72 hours"? That would make a big difference. Will have to re-watch and listen to the scene — the problem may be inherent in the English Subtitle script trying to be concise as possible, and thus inadvertently creating this conundrum (based on your catching the use of "Senshu" versus "Kinou").

(BTW, I wasn't going to say, "If you read my...", because I assume you're an adult and can read. )
Great minds think alike. XDDD That detail of Okita's narration poped in my head when i woke up a few minutes ago. There's just 2 things that don't click with that one. One is the fact that he does so in the preview for the following episode, how valid may that be versus saying it in the episode itself. And two, i think that if there's something we have agreed is that more than just 1 day has passed between the end of episodes 1 and 2. Or at least it feels like it.

You may be right about the 72 hour thing, though the subs sai "IN 72 hours", the actual sentence or at least the tone of it may be "WITHIN 72 hours". That makes sense. I raised the "senshu" point because, though i know some japanese i am far from fluent, as you may already know from our little translation venture a while back.

Going back to Okita's countdown in the previews, i have to wonder... will they keep it like that or will they start putting the actual countdown as the episode closes, where they've been putting the episode titles? One of the things that makes up the "Yamato-ness", as Nishii called it, is the countdown to Earth's extinction. You couldn't help but feel the urgency of this journey as the episode closed.
Old 2012-06-06, 04:45   Link #586
Cyprene

Quote:
I know the person who made the english subs has posted here and i hope i don't offend him with all this.
But listening to the sentence where the first of those wretched yesterdays is spoken (mark 6m 28s) i hear the word "Senshu" wich translates to "last week" but no "kinou" (yesterday).
Hi McDawson-

I was the translator who wrote the script for Yamato, and Quark asked me to comment. The word used is 先日 (senjitsu), which means literally "a short while ago". I was using the word "yesterday" to mean "in the immediate past", but Quark tells me this usage is somewhat nonstandard. It looks like this has caused some confusion, and I do apologize for that.

Thanks for supporting the show! The next blu-ray comes out at the end of July, and I hope you'll continue to watch it.
Cyprene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-06, 05:07   Link #587
August138

Cyprene (Adam Lensemayer or Laura Wyrick, I presume),
Thanks for your response — I did give the line a listen to tonight, and it was "senjitsu" (obviously) — I enjoyed your subtitles, and the non-Japanese speaking folks who've I've shown the BD to certainly appreciate your hard work. As a fellow translator/subtitler, I know that there are many pitfalls in order to get those lines of dialogue down to the few characters allowed for subtitling, and while this can potentially cause consternation from time to time, it all boils down to damned if you do, damned if you don't, I guess — especially with something as big as YAMATO — LOL! BTW, I did point out to Quark (Sam) in a PM a couple of minor things that I caught, and he said that he would pass them on (so I won't go into detail here), but I wish you all the best with the series, and I will, for one, continue to purchase the BDs as they are released.

Keep up the great work! And if there's anything I can do to help (if I may be so bold), please feel free to let me know!

Cheers!
Old 2012-06-06, 06:23   Link #588
macdawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyprene View Post
Hi McDawson-

I was the translator who wrote the script for Yamato, and Quark asked me to comment. The word used is 先日 (senjitsu), which means literally "a short while ago". I was using the word "yesterday" to mean "in the immediate past", but Quark tells me this usage is somewhat nonstandard. It looks like this has caused some confusion, and I do apologize for that.

Thanks for supporting the show! The next blu-ray comes out at the end of July, and I hope you'll continue to watch it.
Thanks for pitching in and for your explanation . I think you did a great job and the intent here is not to poke holes in your work wich, i may add, is outstanding. I have the luxury of sitting here, nitpicking, after-the-fact, with no deadlines or corporations breathing down my neck to enforce that deadline (ok, maybe the imagery is a bit of an exageration XD).

Having translated the first half of episode 1 when it was presented in Bandai-Channel, before it came out in theatres, and by overall knowledge, i know how difficult it is to express certain points that are conveied in one language and need be translated to another. August gave me a hand at the time, reviewing my translation and there were a few issues he pointed out to me.

But there it is, there was no deadline, just 2 fans going back and forth trying to get things just right, with a fanboy-perfection-fueled eye. XD My gauntlet was doubled as, after translating all from Japanese to English, i then went through the stage of translating that to Portuguese, my native language. And it is a hard thing to do. Translate text? Even Google can do that with varying degrees of success. But translate ideas, feelings and all that has to be delivered in dialogue, that's a whole different ball game.

All in all, the subs for volume 1 were great, i was glad we got them at all but they exceeded expectations. Whatever issues have been detected by us, they don't detract from the overall awesome job. This whole thing is just a fan who loves the show wanting to make all the pieces fit so that this remake, wich we've been wishing for for years, can be as perfect as possible.

Keep up the good work and be sure i'll be buying every single volume.
Old 2012-06-07, 13:25   Link #589
Kamijou Touma IB
Imagine Breaker

I am new here can anybody help me out. I just finished episode 2 and want to know that Okita said in Japanese at 20:40. I love this show just as I loved the original Yamato. I hope there is an OST for this series. The wait between the episodes will not be fun.

Last edited by Kamijou Touma IB; 2012-06-07 at 14:19.
Kamijou Touma IB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-07, 15:38   Link #590
macdawson

If you're reffering to what sounds like "Hujikata Hajime", it's translated as "Open Fire". Kodai also says this in the new trailer.

I take the opportunity to ask those with better japanese skills, what is the main difference between that, what Kodai says right after, wich is the more known "Butte" and "Hasha".
I'm guessing this one Okita says is more like an order to open fire while the others are just exclamations...
Old 2012-06-07, 16:14   Link #591
Kamijou Touma IB
Imagine Breaker

yes that is it. what trailer does kodai say this. Thank you.
Old 2012-06-07, 16:28   Link #592
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The one for the Second Film I think.
Old 2012-06-07, 17:07   Link #593
Kamijou Touma IB
Imagine Breaker

I found it at :35 http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=or09dSlxltM, I wish I had a better ear for languages, all I understand is Hajime the first word makes no sense. where are people getting those cool avatars from.

Last edited by Kamijou Touma IB; 2012-06-07 at 19:42.
Old 2012-06-07, 21:16   Link #594
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I think most are making them themselves.

I have several from earlier and most are avalible.

Old 2012-06-08, 15:59   Link #595
Kamijou Touma IB
Imagine Breaker

It is Uchikata hajime I asked around.

Last edited by Kamijou Touma IB; 2012-06-08 at 19:06.
Old 2012-06-08, 17:21   Link #596
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

I don't know if this has been posted yet but Starblazers.com has a bunch of character profiles translated.

Also found a height chart, and Akira's uniform when she gets into the fighter squadron.

Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-08, 18:01   Link #597
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Thigh highs over skin tight flight suit. With a Takana Rie voice.

I noticed on the close up she has this patch on her flight suit arm.
Old 2012-06-08, 18:38   Link #598
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Thigh highs over skin tight flight suit. With a Takana Rie voice.
Gotta have classy fanservice I suppose ^^;
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-08, 20:21   Link #599
macdawson

Found some expressions and meanings

"Omoh-kah-ji" (Right rudder) - this was used in the first episode, as "(turn to) starboard"
"Toh-ri-kah-ji" (Left rudder)
"Ute" (Fire!) - don't know why i thought it had a B in the start... XD
"Uchikata Hajime" (commense fire) - this is typically used by the captain of large ship to let all its guns open fire. The opposite is "Uchikata Yame" (Cease Fire).
"Sento Junbi" (Prepare for Action)
Old 2012-06-08, 20:32   Link #600
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdawson View Post
Found some expressions and meanings

"Omoh-kah-ji" (Right rudder) - this was used in the first episode, as "(turn to) starboard"
"Toh-ri-kah-ji" (Left rudder)
"Ute" (Fire!) - don't know why i thought it had a B in the start... XD
"Uchikata Hajime" (commense fire) - this is typically used by the captain of large ship to let all its guns open fire. The opposite is "Uchikata Yame" (Cease Fire).
"Sento Junbi" (Prepare for Action)
Uchikata hajime(撃ち方始め)in the most precise translation is Gunnery squad commence.
Sento Junbi(戦闘準備)again in the most precise would be prepare for battle.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic, remake, science fiction, space opera, yamato