AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2006-12-08, 22:01   Link #1
sx3
0 Gundam

CCA Vs. Zeta Gundam New Translations [Possible Spoilers]

This is for people who have watched all 3 new translations and the CCA(Chars Counter Attack) movie. Which did u prefere personally? (ending/action/overall/etc.)

I found this VERY hard to decide because after watching the 3rd New Translation i found both of these thigns extremely good, some people may not like the new ending for the New Translation but i found it okay. CCA had quite an ending also, very dramatic

Overall i would have to choose Zeta Gundam NT. I felt like it took me on a nice ride Mainly because there was 3 parts but they were all enjoyable. CCA was excellent also but there were quite a few parts i didn't like in it.

So whats ur opinion? CCA or Zeta Gundam NT?

PS: I would recommend you watch both of these if you could there awesome to watch. Also if you have watched the Zeta Gundam Series, you could compare it to CCA also in this thread, theres very little difference in Zeta gundam and NT except the alternate ending in NT
sx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-09, 01:25   Link #2
Meehlimo
Gundam Otaku

Send a message via AIM to Meehlimo Send a message via MSN to Meehlimo
Was the 3rd movie ever subbed?
Meehlimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-09, 01:38   Link #3
BOZZY

To my knowledge it hasn't...

I was under the impression that Bandai (one of the two US distributors) picked it up and made the announcement at the Chicago Film Festival that Tomino-sensei was attending.
BOZZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-09, 02:15   Link #4
sx3
0 Gundam

TV-Nihon didnt translate teh 3rd one =S i watched the Raw sadly.
Old 2006-12-10, 06:04   Link #5
sx3
0 Gundam

i jsut realized they totaly removed the MKII Psycho gundam from the whole Movie, those bastards
Old 2006-12-16, 23:36   Link #6
HEDGESMFG
Fansubber

I, on the other hand, was at the film festival and have seen the 3rd movie subbed in English. (Plus I also happened to be there when Bandai announced it's supposed nearly complete acquisition at AX).

Watching all 3 of them in a row with an audience left me a bit surprised. They were fast paced, and sacraficed many of the elements from the series... but they still worked fairly decently as a coherrent story without total familiarity with the TV series. I was constantly trying to shift myself into the mind-frame of figuring out the plot if I had NOT seen Zeta before, and noticed that MOST of the important details were fairly clear if the audience paid attention. Ther were a lot of laughs and applauses at key points in the film, which made it apparrent to me that most of the audience there was still able to appriciate and comprehend the story, weather or not they had seen Zeta before.

Movie III didn't have a lot of significant changes outside of what they dropped, and outside of it's new ending, though. Basque is killed by a different character, the blasting and gassing of the SIDE 2 colonies are dropped, Rosamie's entire role and the Psycho Mark II are removed from the film, and much of the film focuses on the tension between Haman's Axis, AEUG and the Titans. The streamlined story isn't necessarily bad, but I liked a lot of the elements which they dropped, and felt they added to the overall drama and experience of Zeta itself. The dialogue was, in most respects, almost the same as before, which nearly all of the same general points being said. Perhaps the most notable difference is that Kamille talks about the power of women on the battlefield when he kills Scirocco. The ending itself is, of course, the biggest change. We get to see all the surviving 0079 characters one last time, no hint of Char's survival is given (Possibly negating not only ZZ, but even CCA altogether!), Jupitoris is shown to be destroyed onscreen (Something that I'm pretty sure happened in the original timeline, but was never shown), and of course, Kamille and Fa solidify their relationship. The dialogue also references to Axis planning to dropp off Mineva at Side 3... perhaps simply choosing to fall back from the attempted takover of earth and live their own life in space.

Most of these changes seem to quite possibly negate both ZZ and CCA from likely ever happening. That having all been said though, I can't say I prefer the Zeta films very much over the original television series, and certainly not over the masterpiece that was CCA. The new animation is nice, but the excellent battles still remain intact in the Zeta TV seires, with even more action and excitement and with a better overall plot layout, and many more excellent dramatic moments. ZZ may be considered the weakest link of the UC to many, but it still offered some valuble character insight, some great combat, and has every right to still be part of the UC saga's story. Sure it's flawed, but it gives characters like Haman a chance to shine towards it's end, and had many great designs and still a few good moments. CCA, on the other hand, is a virtual masterpiece of a film that I would hate to see removed from the canon. Yes, Char and Amuro MIGHT be gone at the end, but the way the relationships were formed and handled, and the philosophical and psychological mentality of each character is fascinating to watch and examine. The animation and the battles are quite top notch as well, perhaps bordering on some of Tomino's best.

Tomino's own response to these kinds of questions, however, was that it was up to we the viewers to imagine what happened next after Zeta: A new translation ended, and even to define the canon to some extent. He would only re-do CCA if Bandai contracted him to do so, and I think such a decision would be utterly foolish, so don't expect that or a ZZ remake any time soon.

In short: The Zeta films are decent, but I'd choose Zeta TV, ZZ and CCA over them any day.
HEDGESMFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-28, 13:19   Link #7
yondy

Spoiler:
yondy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-29, 03:20   Link #8
amiantos

Any chance you guys where where I can get the movies at?

Last edited by amiantos; 2006-12-29 at 03:37.
amiantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-29, 03:47   Link #9
sx3
0 Gundam

Tv-Nihon has finalyl released the 3rd movie with subtitles i just watched it and im pritty grateful
Old 2006-12-29, 12:02   Link #10
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Deacon Blues Send a message via MSN to Deacon Blues
Yup, let's all cheer for the people who leave in onore's, yatsu's, tachi's, etc in their subs. Learn how to translate. It's not that hard.
そして、戦っている人間が汚れて見えないのも事実だ」

So why do people fight, anyway?
Perhaps the meaning of existence lies within their will to fight.
People feel a sense of accomplishment through battle.
And it’s also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-30, 01:42   Link #11
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Blues View Post
Yup, let's all cheer for the people who leave in onore's, yatsu's, tachi's, etc in their subs. Learn how to translate. It's not that hard.
Seeing as how TV-Nihon is the only group subbing it atm:

*cheer*

And they still do translate good, anyway.

And if you think TV-Nihon needs to learn how to translate, go check the translation accuracy of the subs for Soukou no Strain from WinD. TV-Nihon is on top of the learning curve compared to these guys.
Old 2007-02-24, 23:53   Link #12
BOZZY

Just got around to seeing the 3rd movie myself, can't say I am terribly impressed with what they cut, but it had an okay flow. I only wish they had re-animated the whole thing rather than doing a mix of 1980s animation with 2004 animation.

Some stuff I noticed and had problems with:
Spoiler:
BOZZY is offline   Reply With Quote