AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shana

Notices

View Poll Results: Shakugan no Shana II - Episode 17 Rating
Perfect 10 7 10.61%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 10 15.15%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 25 37.88%
7 out of 10 : Good 15 22.73%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 10.61%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 3.03%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-02-12, 16:11   Link #101
Paul
Bakka Baka!!!

Its strange that they are putting so much thought into showing Yoshida with her death-talisman, i mean i know its a big thing, but whenever they give it screentime it makes me feel like she is about to use it, and for no reason because Yuiji is not even there or in trouble.

Otherwise i rate this a 7/10 but thats propably becasue i watched it after an incredibly comical and well made episode of Clannad.
Old 2008-02-12, 16:18   Link #102
The Real Nemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
The 'romantic spectrum' in this season thus far has been garbage. In fact, there hasn't been anything remotely romantic this season worth noting outside of Tanaka and Ogata. When the first epsidode resets the character development of the entire season that came before it, well that's just a clear sign that they don't have a bloody clue what they're doing.

I was so happy to see where Shana and Yuji had gotten before that I end up mad and frustrated at the constant failed attempts of 'romance' that were thrown at us at the start of this season. I lost count of how many times Yoshida and Shana were plastered to the panes of the school's windows watching Yuji walking with Konoe, or the incessant need to repeat the lines Yuji's dad gave them as a pep talk, or Yoshida and Shana constantly acknowledging the other as a 'love rival'.
They only gave Shana and Yuji as much romantic development as they did in the first season in order to help give it some closure since they weren't sure if there would be a second, when there was they had no choice but to backtrack if they still wanted to follow the novels at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
It's so horrendously bloody obvious that Yoshida doesn't have a chance in hell with Yuji no matter what she does. Fine, go ahead and like the character, cheer her on all you want, but in the end you know it's all for nothing because Yuji and Shana's relationship with one another is far more worthwhile, and Yoshida has never been anything more then a footnote to the entire ordeal since the very start of the first season. At best she served her purpose as something to stir up jealousy for Shana, but again that's helping develop Shana's character. Yoshida's pretty much been a plot device from the start (who stopped working 15 episodes ago).

Thank god Pheles gave her that cross (which apparently came with a pre-requisite of 50 flashbacks of her telling Yoshida what it's to be used for and what it really means to use it), because not only do I have the glimmer of hope that Yoshida will be written out of the story, but it actually gives her a reason to be there! Her showing up to the meeting Pheles was absurdly selfish, my forehead had handmarks from me slapping it too much while watching.

Bah.
You know, it *is* possible to empathize with and like Kazumi Yoshida as a character while still acknowledging that she doesn't have a chance with Yuji...
Old 2008-02-12, 17:44   Link #103
Liddo-kun
is this so?

I hope this is the last episode centered on Tanaka x Ogata
Seriuosly, I don't find them interesting characters at all.

I even enjoyed the Konoe episodes better than this one, at least Konoe has some mystery surrounding her.
Old 2008-02-12, 17:54   Link #104
Tendou88

I want to see some 3x urusai and melon bread...

this episode gets a 8 / 10
Old 2008-02-12, 17:54   Link #105
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machina View Post
Haha, I liked Konoe more than I ever liked Hekate
*thumbs-up*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiachopvutru View Post
Ha, that would definitely save this series, especially to serenade_beta, who would probably then rate it 10/10.

And Hecate should spit Fumina back out and go back to praying.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2008-02-12, 18:02   Link #106
Grimkill7
Inattentive Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tendou88 View Post

this episode gets a 8 / 10
Your three urusai are gone. Tsun Shana is dead - J.C. Staff murdered her. Someone call the police!

Don't worry though, when the next Shana-tan rolls around, you will get Uruchai! and that's almost as good.
Old 2008-02-12, 20:35   Link #107
Tendou88

Maybe Shana matured in season2 while thinking about yuujis feeling etc
Old 2008-02-12, 20:49   Link #108
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real Nemo View Post
They only gave Shana and Yuji as much romantic development as they did in the first season in order to help give it some closure since they weren't sure if there would be a second, when there was they had no choice but to backtrack if they still wanted to follow the novels at all.

You know, it *is* possible to empathize with and like Kazumi Yoshida as a character while still acknowledging that she doesn't have a chance with Yuji...
I agree on both of your points here, Nemo.

The "Yuji didn't hear Shana's confession." reset was kind of contrived, and annoying, but in order to keep the romantic tension going, I suppose it was necessary.

Also, in fairness, until the last few episodes, I thought that Kazumi did have a decent shot of ending up with Yuji... it's only over the last few episodes where Yuji/Shana seems like a foregone conclussion.

For a long period during Season 1, I felt that Kazumi had the edge on Shana, largely since Kazumi was admirably more straightforward in expressing her feelings to Yuji (Shana could learn something there), and also since Shana chickened out a bit on the whole "will Shana kiss Yuji?" part of Season 1.

As for our slightly differing takes on the latest Yuji/Shana training sessions - well, I do think that they've progressed nicely from even just a few episodes ago, so that's good. On this point, I think that we can agree.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2008-02-12 at 21:05.
Old 2008-02-12, 20:56   Link #109
DX HBK
I'm the Showstopper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post

And Hecate should spit Fumina back out and go back to praying.
Nah, how about Hecate residing WITHIN Fumina for a change? That way, at least,
Hecate would be subconsciously telling her what to do and what not to do in certain
situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimkill7 View Post
Your three urusai are gone. Tsun Shana is dead - J.C. Staff murdered her. Someone call the police!

Don't worry though, when the next Shana-tan rolls around, you will get Uruchai! and that's almost as good.

Growing up means Shana is done being a child.
But in battle, she's got skills of the wild.
In the Shana-tan specials,
Triple uruchais may be one of the things worthwhile to see.
But in regards to their adult themes,
I hope to see Pheles try to violate a cornered Yuji.

Last edited by DX HBK; 2008-02-12 at 21:47.
Old 2008-02-12, 23:49   Link #110
Aquifina

I for one don't think Yuji's new badassness is actually all that much out of character; it's actually far more plausible than his obliviousness during the Konoe arc. Early in season 1, Yuji was shown to be adaptable and level-headed, and he was the one who asked for the training in the first place. I didn't dislike the Konoe episodes as much as some people, but it certainly was dubious in many ways. Yuji's panicky behavior in the Pheles arc disappointed me, but it was far more plausible than the emotional cluelessness of the Konoe arc; how well would any of you deal with the idea that a powerful Tomogara is obsessed with you, that some crazy armored monster is also residing inside of you, and, oh, btw, the folks who nearly killed you at the end of season 1 are still after you? That scene where Yuji felt distant from his own parents struck me as terribly sad. I'll cut the kid some slack, and his new determination to *do* something about it brings back the old Yuji who instead of dwelling on his fate as a torch spent so much effort trying to make Hirai's last moments somewhat happy. Remember Shana's comment that some torches actually committed suicide after hearing the truth? Most can't handle the truth, and Yuji has done quite well dealing with his fate. He's decided to fight, and more power to him for it.

Yuji's reaction to Shana's panicked hugging in the previous ep. also brought back some of his emotional awareness, it seems; I don't mind in principle the idea that Yuji doesn't fully realize Shana's feelings, but the Konoe arc mishandled the issue pretty badly. Hopefully we're done with that. The return of tsundere Shana with her roundhouse kick in training was also nice.

As for Shana's seeming confusion over Yuji's aggressiveness; I'm not sure what to make of it. It could be an interesting way to look at their relationship; Shana's clearly very protective of Yuji, and she may have to adjust to his new desire to fight things out himself, as opposed him to just being a helper of sorts. Shana always wanted Yuji to be able to fight, but that was mostly because it was a way of them being together; I think she always expected him to hang back in relative safety. He'd have to be capable enough to take care of himself on a basic level, and to be useful, so that they could truly fight *together*, but I don't think Shana ever conceived of him as actually engaging in direct combat with a melee weapon, where he wouldn't be so easily protected by her. After all of Shana's complaints about his weakness and resolve, this is somewhat ironic, and brings back some of her old tsundere character. Underneath all that tough rhetoric, she'd actually rather Yuji be less determined in combat so she can protect him better.

Last edited by Aquifina; 2008-02-13 at 00:04.
Old 2008-02-13, 00:14   Link #111
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Well I quite enjoyed the episode in and of itself...But it didn't do much to help ease the feeling that the majority of this season has been extremely dull...

Wheres the energy and emotion from the first season? This season just feels like its chugging along at a very slow pace and im struggling to not fall asleep at this point...

Above all though...It needs more shana...For someone whose name is on the title she's gotten surprisingly little screen time and done just about nothing with the time she has managed to get...

It seems every episode I find myself hoping that this i'll be the one...The one when shana and yuji finally get that fun relationship of fighting together again...Guess i'll keep on hoping...

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Old 2008-02-13, 01:05   Link #112
blitzx
Nyaan~

I never heard "Urusai Urusai Urusai" again from shana -_-
if I dont wrong, she just said it once in eps.1 or eps.2...
Old 2008-02-13, 03:01   Link #113
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Send a message via AIM to minhtam1638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tendou88 View Post
Go find Suiseiseki. She can say it much more kawaii.

You still got the melon bread, though. There aren't as much opportunities in which food is a factor lately, but it will come around eventually.
Old 2008-02-13, 03:07   Link #114
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Before I start my rant... I mean post I'd like to say I like the new Yuji, but...

The changes to Yuji's personality and character seem so clunky to me. From the beginning of S1 to now it feels like I'm sitting in a car of a beginner driver. But in saying that I am far happier with this new motivated Yuji then back hole boy from earlier episodes.

Its really hard to say how I feel about Tanaka, whilst I respect him for making his own decision, I kinda think it is the ostrich path. The problem with SnS universe is once you realise what is really going on in the world, it means that you can be eaten/blown up at anytime and then no one will realise that you even existed. At least if he kept the talisman he could have noticed when something was up and been able to attempt to pull his loved ones out of danger.

Me thinks maybe it is not Margery he is scared/hates/angsting over, but himself. Remember in S1 when the class room was attacked, Yuji tried his darndest to pull everyone out of the room. Tanaka didn't really have any time but he didn't do anything but freeze when Margery went nuts. So maybe deep down inside Tanaka is hating himself for his lack of action? I am a bit confused about how she was fixed as I thought too much damage can't be repaired.
Old 2008-02-13, 03:09   Link #115
cnnydz
Feed me

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzx View Post
I never heard "Urusai Urusai Urusai" again from shana -_-
if I dont wrong, she just said it once in eps.1 or eps.2...
and u never will hear it again
Old 2008-02-13, 03:10   Link #116
grey_moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnnydz View Post
and u never will hear it again
Didn't Nagi steal them lines
Old 2008-02-13, 03:42   Link #117
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
Before I start my rant... I mean post I'd like to say I like the new Yuji, but...

The changes to Yuji's personality and character seem so clunky to me. From the beginning of S1 to now it feels like I'm sitting in a car of a beginner driver. But in saying that I am far happier with this new motivated Yuji then back hole boy from earlier episodes.

Its really hard to say how I feel about Tanaka, whilst I respect him for making his own decision, I kinda think it is the ostrich path. The problem with SnS universe is once you realise what is really going on in the world, it means that you can be eaten/blown up at anytime and then no one will realise that you even existed. At least if he kept the talisman he could have noticed when something was up and been able to attempt to pull his loved ones out of danger.

Me thinks maybe it is not Margery he is scared/hates/angsting over, but himself. Remember in S1 when the class room was attacked, Yuji tried his darndest to pull everyone out of the room. Tanaka didn't really have any time but he didn't do anything but freeze when Margery went nuts. So maybe deep down inside Tanaka is hating himself for his lack of action? I am a bit confused about how she was fixed as I thought too much damage can't be repaired.
I think you can repair anything, as long as you've got the PoE for it. Yuuji's got a lot, and he's willing to donate it.
Old 2008-02-13, 06:16   Link #118
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Send a message via AIM to minhtam1638
Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
Didn't Nagi steal them lines
She ain't the only one guilty, y'know.
Old 2008-02-13, 06:19   Link #119
grey_moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I think you can repair anything, as long as you've got the PoE for it. Yuuji's got a lot, and he's willing to donate it.
Ah I might be getting confused with the fuzetsu being broken before repairs are done.
Old 2008-02-13, 15:45   Link #120
dave55man
~The Prince~

Send a message via AIM to dave55man
I really don't see where Yuji's personality changed, that is if you compare Yuji from the end of S1 to around episode 12 in S2 (meaning you forget that the Konoe are ever happened). Yuji's panicing with the Phele's arc is explainable in that he did go through a lot of trama there and now he's finally getting back to his good old self like he was in S1. I hope that Yuji gets more badass as the season progresses :P
Closed Thread