AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-11-15, 18:43   Link #321
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypertaost View Post
Does the liscence also cover higurashi kai? It's not illegal to download higurashi kai is it?
At this point in time, the U.S. license does not include Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai (if it did we would not list it on AnimeSuki).

But even so, it is illegal to download it. Please read the Licensed Anime article on our site.
Old 2008-06-21, 09:39   Link #322
HigurashiRika_04621
The Sock Monster

Oh the tragedy! Oh the horror!

Thanks to my lack of fast (and stable) internet, I am unable to check to see if this has been posted. So, for those of you who may or may not have heard:

Spoiler for This is extremely bad news.:

The good news is, another company has taken up the dub, and they will resume releasing it in America. I am not sure if they will release Kai or not, but that's what I've heard.

If, by the chance I am wrong, I apologize for giving you all false hope. *bows*
Old 2008-06-21, 18:31   Link #323
Dreamiel
Rena X Keiichi FOREVER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HigurashiRika_04621 View Post
Thanks to my lack of fast (and stable) internet, I am unable to check to see if this has been posted. So, for those of you who may or may not have heard:

The good news is, another company has taken up the dub, and they will resume releasing it in America. I am not sure if they will release Kai or not, but that's what I've heard.

If, by the chance I am wrong, I apologize for giving you all false hope. *bows*
Umm, everyone knew about that awhile ago... besides, the dub was HORRIBLE, so it's good news! Geneon deserved it!
Old 2008-06-22, 00:14   Link #324
Icehawk

Quote:
The good news is, another company has taken up the dub, and they will resume releasing it in America....
Huh? Whats this about another company picking up the series? I don't think this has happened yet sadly.
Old 2008-06-22, 01:30   Link #325
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

Agreed. Show proof that another company has heeded the call or it didn't happen.

BTW, how much would you (as in anyone) estimate it would cost to legally produce a quality (voice actors, translation, high quality video, etc) dubbed version of an anime like Higurashi, you know, independently?
Old 2008-06-22, 07:53   Link #326
ayukanon45
Doujin Music Composer

Send a message via MSN to ayukanon45
if this be true, i will praise the company
Old 2008-06-22, 12:58   Link #327
Dreamiel
Rena X Keiichi FOREVER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante of the Inferno View Post
Agreed. Show proof that another company has heeded the call or it didn't happen.

BTW, how much would you (as in anyone) estimate it would cost to legally produce a quality (voice actors, translation, high quality video, etc) dubbed version of an anime like Higurashi, you know, independently?
You forgot you'd have to pay for the license, that's what makes it legal ^___^. Also, since there are so many fans, they'd probaby be willing to translate/voice over fairly cheap just to be able to do it..... don't know if they'd have any professional experiance though XD. Also, I have been trying to find out how much American companies generally pay for anime title licenses (I'm sure it varies by title), but I haven't found any info....
Old 2008-06-22, 14:47   Link #328
HigurashiRika_04621
The Sock Monster

Quote:
So, for those of you who may or may not have heard.
Note that I said that. o.o

I heard the other company taking it up in passing from what seems to be, at the moment, from a very unreliable source. I deeply apologize. I am neither confirming nor denying it, I'm only saying that because in the event that it does happen, you all will know.

Yes, I will not deny the dub is horrible. It is. But, the more widespread that Higurashi is, the higher chance that people will hear how good it is and go out and buy it. Which is what the entire anime/manga business needs right now, seeing as many companies are either out of business, in the process of going out of business, or on the verge where they will go out of business relatively soon. *Note* I am not saying all companies are going out of business, just some. And I'm not saying the ones about to will. They could make a comeback.

The reason is subs and scanslations. Yes, posting a one or two episodes or a chapter or two can be good, seeing as if you refuse to post more, people will want to read more and go out and buy it. That's why scans sites like Spectrum are good, because they sometimes post some of the series.

Now, if you have no money to buy anime/manga, you're just out of luck. But if you have no money, chances are you either have a basic internet that won't load anything (like me) or no internet whatsoever. So you're not helping, but you're not hurting either. If you have a fast internet, at least save some money. Go out, buy a manga book. I've seen them as low as five-dollars (US) in some places. Try Amazon.com. I've seen manga books as low as twelve-cents and anime discs for four-dollars. Both were listed as either new or like new.

Why did Geneon go out of business? Because people sat around and watched subs all day. I'm guilty, I have done so.

Now if you watched the subs then went out and bought the dub, thank you. You're not to blame. You're helping.

The message: go buy anime/manga.

Say what you will about me or this message, but just remember: just like any business, anime can go out too.
Old 2008-06-22, 16:39   Link #329
Dreamiel
Rena X Keiichi FOREVER!

Quote:
The reason is subs and scanslations.
Actually some companies have said that they like these because they are good publicity. Also, buying an American company's translation of an anime or manga, you just aren't getting the same thing. If a company is doing a good job, by all means go out and by it. But most companies have lousy translations and why would you want to pay for that? It's just not fair. If the companies would step up to the plate and release manga and anime with translations as good as scanlators/fansubbers, they'd have alot more buisness. Also, don't say we hurt the industry. I watch/read anime/manga online all the time but have still purchased and own 200 anime DVDs and VHS, and 480 manga volumes, and I know alot of people who are in the same boat
Old 2008-06-22, 20:18   Link #330
Trogdor Jube
Back at it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamiel View Post
Actually some companies have said that they like these because they are good publicity. Also, buying an American company's translation of an anime or manga, you just aren't getting the same thing. If a company is doing a good job, by all means go out and by it. But most companies have lousy translations and why would you want to pay for that? It's just not fair. If the companies would step up to the plate and release manga and anime with translations as good as scanlators/fansubbers, they'd have alot more buisness. Also, don't say we hurt the industry. I watch/read anime/manga online all the time but have still purchased and own 200 anime DVDs and VHS, and 480 manga volumes, and I know alot of people who are in the same boat :p
HOw could you be so sure that fansubbers have the correct translations?
Look at Death Note OP 2, every single fansubber got that wrong until the actual lyrics were revealed on the enlgish dub.
Old 2008-06-23, 09:33   Link #331
Eryops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamiel View Post
You forgot you'd have to pay for the license, that's what makes it legal ^___^. Also, since there are so many fans, they'd probaby be willing to translate/voice over fairly cheap just to be able to do it..... don't know if they'd have any professional experiance though XD. Also, I have been trying to find out how much American companies generally pay for anime title licenses (I'm sure it varies by title), but I haven't found any info....
Dubbing is the most expensive part of releasing an anime DVD in the US. Having to pay for the voice actors etc costs quite a bit. Sub-only DVDs would be considerably cheaper to produce, however companies have to include dubs because DVDs without a dub sell extremely poorly despite how vocal the 'subs not dubs' contingent in on the web.

Quote:
I heard the other company taking it up in passing from what seems to be, at the moment, from a very unreliable source. I deeply apologize. I am neither confirming nor denying it, I'm only saying that because in the event that it does happen, you all will know.
Geneon USA hasn't shut down, it has merely closed its anime distribution department. ADV had agreed to buy all its titles however that deal fell through at the last minute and nothing has been heard about them being licensed since. Higurashi, and the other titles in question such as Nanoha, had a pretty limited target audience to begin with, so considering the state of the anime industry in the US I don't think that they'll ever get picked up.
Old 2008-06-23, 09:41   Link #332
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eryops View Post
Dubbing is the most expensive part of releasing an anime DVD in the US. Having to pay for the voice actors etc costs quite a bit. Sub-only DVDs would be considerably cheaper to produce, however companies have to include dubs because DVDs without a dub sell extremely poorly despite how vocal the 'subs not dubs' contingent in on the web.

Geneon USA hasn't shut down, it has merely closed its anime distribution department. ADV had agreed to buy all its titles however that deal fell through at the last minute and nothing has been heard about them being licensed since. Higurashi, and the other titles in question such as Nanoha, had a pretty limited target audience to begin with, so considering the state of the anime industry in the US I don't think that they'll ever get picked up.
Opening the door for independent comapanies to spring up and take the call. The only problem is finding quality voice actors, digging up good up-and-coming voice actors, and widespread distribution (but that COULD be mitigated by simply selling the dubbed versions online only, instead of through real-world stores).
Old 2008-06-23, 17:58   Link #333
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eryops View Post
Higurashi, and the other titles in question such as Nanoha, had a pretty limited target audience to begin with, so considering the state of the anime industry in the US I don't think that they'll ever get picked up.
I remember hearing Nanoha and A's have been picked up. I could be making stuff up, though.
Old 2008-06-23, 18:15   Link #334
Dreamiel
Rena X Keiichi FOREVER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor Jube View Post
HOw could you be so sure that fansubbers have the correct translations?
Look at Death Note OP 2, every single fansubber got that wrong until the actual lyrics were revealed on the enlgish dub.
Yeah but that's only one example. There are countless examples of companys messing things up, like renaming titles that are already in english. For example, Firecracker is Meloncholy by Arina Tanemura was changed to Short-Tempered Meloncholic. Not to mention japanese titles, that get changed. Like how Shingetsutan Tsukihime got changed to "Lunar Legand Tsukihime" and they called them "dead apostles" and "true ansestors" instead of Shinso and Shinto.
Old 2008-07-03, 11:36   Link #335
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
FUNimation are now gods among gods!!!!

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...-geneon-titles
Old 2008-07-03, 12:15   Link #336
Shinigami_Mello
All hail Oyashiro-sama

Send a message via MSN to Shinigami_Mello
Oh gosh, yes!
I really love Funimation now <3
Old 2008-07-03, 13:30   Link #337
Little Machi
Banned

But what does this mean, exactly? Are they just going to release the DVDs Geneon made, or are they completely redoing it?
Old 2008-07-03, 15:09   Link #338
Shinigami_Mello
All hail Oyashiro-sama

Send a message via MSN to Shinigami_Mello
I think they'll probably pick it up and finish dubbing the rest of the DVD's.

They may redo it, but I doubt it xD
Old 2008-07-03, 15:26   Link #339
Katsu Koneko
明日がある

Send a message via AIM to Katsu Koneko
X3 Go Funimation! They're awesome for getting Higurashi! ^w^

My AnimelistMy DeviantartMy Youtube
Index & Spinx banner Made by Pellissier / Keiichi & Rika Icon Made by Nabiki Asakura
Old 2008-07-03, 16:23   Link #340
Little Machi
Banned

All the DVDs are already dubbed. I wish they'd make them better.@_@
Closed Thread