AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

View Poll Results: K-On! - Episode 8 Rating
Perfect 10 42 33.07%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 51 40.16%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 20 15.75%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 6.30%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 3.15%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.79%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.79%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-26, 11:24   Link #221
LC
Shocking Pink

When I was a freshman, I was 13. So, Azunyan is probably either 14 or 15. Wait, do they go to a 4-year or a 3-year high school?

I gave this episode 8/10. It wasn't the best, but it was better than last week's. I'm happy that Azunyan is finally here; people who want the show to focus on music more will probably like her.

Last edited by LC; 2009-05-27 at 20:42.
Old 2009-05-26, 12:49   Link #222
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Have the Japanese replaced the term Sophomore with Freshmen? I'm fairly sure most shown Japanese High Schools are three year institutions from 10-12 grades.
Old 2009-05-26, 13:00   Link #223
Tamad
デゲソ!! ( ・_・)ノ

So Ritsu is free for the taking right?
Old 2009-05-26, 13:16   Link #224
Tatiana Razajev
Karen

Send a message via AIM to Tatiana Razajev
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Have the Japanese replaced the term Sophomore with Freshmen? I'm fairly sure most shown Japanese High Schools are three year institutions from 10-12 grades.
According to some posts I've read, using terms like Sophomore and Freshmen can be misleading. That's it's simpler and more accurate to stick with First Year, Second Year, and Third Year. I myself have yet to see a four year high school used in anime. All the ones I've seen are three years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamad View Post
So Ritsu is free for the taking right?
Just for the record, Ritsu likes me better. Or at least I'd like to delude myself into believing that.
Old 2009-05-26, 13:58   Link #225
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
And someone gaved me a neg rep but no point deduction. Well, as if I care, looks like he got offended.
Same here, but I got points taken away...

Looks like I did a better job offending someone...Oorah!

Fall in; We'll prep for a counter-offensive
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
Old 2009-05-26, 20:00   Link #226
Kristen
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
But it is said that she is in class 2-1 (either that or Chihiro subs wrongly).

Shouldn't she be 15 instead of 14?

Age doesn't matter. She is still mine.

P.S Anyway do you guys think that Azu bears a strange resemblance to Mana from White Album?
Sorry, that was a mistake. Out of editing it says Class 2 Year 1, but I wanted it changed to the year-class format in QC. So it got fixed for every one but messed up there since the QC forgot to reverse it.
Old 2009-05-27, 17:21   Link #227
SwiftStrike
Reaching for the Heavens

new girl looks like mio
Old 2009-05-28, 01:59   Link #228
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Yes...yes she does. I imagine that will come up at some point.
Old 2009-05-28, 08:26   Link #229
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Watched this at last. (Yeah long week, should wait till Ep 9 out for bonus) =)

I actually like the slice of life K-on than the performing part (unless it's really awesome of course, e.g. ED).

Best moments? Mugi try to join the group in complaining the her maid outfit (...hilariously how she failed). Also when Ui introduce Ritsu(she does looks cool...for few secs...) and Mugi-chan to the new member.

The last sceen of Ep was fun as heck.
Old 2009-06-01, 16:14   Link #230
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Japanese high schools are 3 year institutions (10th-12th) grade. Translations that use the english "four year" terms are misleading. Its more accurate to think of newly entering students as "first year" (entering 10th grade).

There are a fair number of American high schools that are also 3 year institutions... basically the way it is "in your neighborhood" isn't the way it is all over the world or even down the street. That goes for customs, laws, age-of-consent, etiquette, etc.

The faster one learns this, the less silly one looks on a worldwide forum
Old 2009-06-01, 16:23   Link #231
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I thought they always followed the source material verbatim. Or is that just a myth?
Good lord man... already forgotten what KyoAni did to Lucky*Star? An episode was lucky if 60% of it was "source-based".
Old 2009-06-01, 23:13   Link #232
FateAnomaly

Actually i think KyoAni did a pretty good job. The show probably wouldn't be as good if they had followed the source strictly.
Old 2009-06-01, 23:15   Link #233
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
Actually i think KyoAni did a pretty good job. The show probably wouldn't be as good if they had followed the source strictly.
Actually, I didn't get Vexx's comments. Apart from Anime Tenchou, Lucky Channel, and the product placements, all the gags are from the manga. Also, the latter two are thumbs down in my opinion.
Old 2009-06-02, 00:09   Link #234
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Good lord man... already forgotten what KyoAni did to Lucky*Star? An episode was lucky if 60% of it was "source-based".
All I remember is that it got way to Haruhi reference heavy and ended up putting me off completely for a long time. Really though it's not a matter of whether a show follows the source material for me or not, it's a matter of whether I find it worth the time to watch. In that regard K-On is wearing thin so fast that the only thing really keeping me in to the finish is knowing that it'll all be over in 3 episodes.....whatever they manage to bring or not. I just cannot for the life of me find myself pretending that this is a brilliant or even above average show at this point though other than this one episode.
Old 2009-06-02, 01:23   Link #235
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

I don't think the mangaka had any ambitions for this series to begin with. IMO, the manga is above average, and has a lot less moe bombs than in the anime. KyoAni had to choose a rather plain series and tried to glorify it. Don't Say Lazy is a hit, but just about everything else was either "..OK..." or "WTF?"

I'll say it again: KyoAni, you can forget about me paying for the DVDs. Houbunsha's getting my money, and I'm glad to pay for that.

EDIT: WOOT! Looks like there will be an official Mandarin translation!
Old 2009-06-02, 01:27   Link #236
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Actually, I didn't get Vexx's comments. Apart from Anime Tenchou, Lucky Channel, and the product placements, all the gags are from the manga. Also, the latter two are thumbs down in my opinion.
yes, you're exactly right.... and though I didn't do an obsessive timecheck, those tidbits ate up anywhere from 20-40% of the time budget. There were a few gags not specifically from the manga (much of the "at the beach/hotel" sequence, some of the anime con, etc).
I guess my point (return to topic) was that K-on! is another 4-koma. Based on the anime-only moments tallied so far, it just seems KyoAni doesn't particularly follow its supposed mantra of "dedication to the source" as it does for eroge or light novels (though the SHnY had a lot of easter eggs, it folllowed the story arc plots fairly closely).
Old 2009-06-02, 03:36   Link #237
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
yes, you're exactly right.... and though I didn't do an obsessive timecheck, those tidbits ate up anywhere from 20-40% of the time budget. There were a few gags not specifically from the manga (much of the "at the beach/hotel" sequence, some of the anime con, etc).
I guess my point (return to topic) was that K-on! is another 4-koma. Based on the anime-only moments tallied so far, it just seems KyoAni doesn't particularly follow its supposed mantra of "dedication to the source" as it does for eroge or light novels (though the SHnY had a lot of easter eggs, it folllowed the story arc plots fairly closely).
Please please don't remind me of Lucky Channel. Compared to that the speed at which K-On's gags have gotten somewhat tired is equivalent to that of a sloth on painkillers. Really though I think the problem comes down to this again. When faced with a lack of source material and having to fill something in with original material Kyoani tends to struggle and usually that means them falling back on what they know they can pull off and have a positive audience reaction too. This usually means moe on moe "action" or flashy over the top animation sequences that give off that cool vibe but really serve no added artistic purpose. If this is enough for a viewer then it's no problem, but for some it does get old pretty fast and tends to look patchwork.
Old 2009-06-02, 04:54   Link #238
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

To top it all off, there is a legit story behind Akira and her band of nakama (Yes, she has one and no, it does not have Shirashi Minoru in it). She's NOT a jerkass in those few gaiden chapters.
Old 2009-06-29, 13:18   Link #239
OkamiNoKaze

Great episode, finally get see them perform. Azusa seems a promising new character. I liked Yui scaring her sister with the chicken outfit. during the concert, when they were showing scenes of the school, did anyone think the library looked like the one from Breakfast club?
Closed Thread