AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > AnoHana

Notices

View Poll Results: AnoHana - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 51 48.57%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 33 31.43%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 10 9.52%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 7.62%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 2.86%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-06-18, 04:07   Link #101
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

Anyone noticed in the preview that Jinta would be wearing a t-shirt with the term "Magokoro (真心)" on it in next episode? Let's see how sincere he will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketyson View Post
But, overall, another week another episode full of surprises. Whatever happens in the finale is going to be a real doozy at this point. As always I have some theories but they'll almost surely be proven wrong.
Actually it's a week of non-surprise. Not a single bit. But just as powerful as ever, if not more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFarGone View Post
as long as Menma disappears at the end I would give the series a 10.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I'm not starting to think it might be better for everybody if they moved on and went their seperate ways. Right now, they are only hurting each other.
That's why I agree with SoFarGone there. The only thing left to tell of this story is how Menma is going to disappear. She will not stay as she is; she will not live happily ever after with Jinta as a ghost. No. She better doesn't.

And while I agree that Jinta is being selfish, I can totally symphatize with him, as explained in last episode's thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWW View Post
MANTEARS.JPG

Spoiler:

And to those of you who find it a bit too melodramatic, you haven't watched asian dramas, have you? I shed mantears watching those when I was a teen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGMF-X10A View Post
Unless you just started watching anime, I don't believe this...

True Tears, Saikano, Clannad after story, Elfen Lied, Angel beats, ... a few that I remember without looking anything up.
True Tears has the word "tears" but I never really assoicated that word literally with the show.

Anohana is heartwrenching alright, but not as far as tearjerking. As much as it might surprise some newer anime watchers, Anohana is way not melodramatic enough. I will never forget episode 8 of Toei's Kanon and later episodes of FMwS, now those really made me cry a bit. I can't think of a third one.
Old 2011-06-18, 08:35   Link #102
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGMF-X10A View Post
Unless you just started watching anime, I don't believe this...

True Tears, Saikano, Clannad after story, Elfen Lied, Angel beats, ... a few that I remember without looking anything up.
Erm, I have watched all of them and I don't remember even being close to crying. At most it was a "ah..." feeling. While they certainly had an emotional punch, the titles you listed aren't really the most heart wrenching anime imo. Mushishi, Mononoke (including the bakeneko arc of Ayakashi), 5cmps, Grave of the Fireflies, "Kokoro" and "No longer human" from Aoi Bungaku, Haibane Renmei, Simoun, House of five Leaves, certain bits of Monster etc. came closer than they did but none of them enticed actual tears from me either. It was only a deeper "ah..." feeling. The last animeish stuff that made me feel that way was "Colorful" and "Norageki!" slightly before that.

Physical tears mean little anyway. I remember very few instances of when I actually shed tears and most of them were over physical pain when I was a kid. I think the sore throat feeling and the indescribable anguish mean a lot more than tears.

And I feel none of it from Anohana. I don't think Anohana is that melodramatic, if at all. It has it's emotional moments but that's about it. After all, everyone from among the bunch is so selfish that I can't really feel sorry for them breaking away from each other. In fact, I think them completely going separate ways would be for everyone's best.

I don't really know what to say about the episode in particular. I liked it very much because of the flow and the presentation. But I wonder how this will wrap up. I have a bad premonition but I hope for it to turn out wrong.
Old 2011-06-18, 09:10   Link #103
miketyson

guuchan: eh, big-picture no huge surprises but lots of surprises in the specific events.

The reenactment in particular came as a surprise: a small surprise itself, but the way it was introduced -- with brief cut to the flashback sequence, showing everyone in the present in the same positions as the past -- was very slick and surprising (felt stupid not noticing until the overlay cut in). Obvious symbolism is obvious, too, once it's pointed out.

I was also surprised the rocket launch was in this episode. I'd been half-expecting it to be a fakeout kinda like the way the diary turned out: the rocket isn't really Menma's wish -- it'd be something like everyone staying friends -- and thus building and launching the rocket actually would satisfy her wish, contrary to audience expectations.

At this point, my hunches are that:
Spoiler for Speculation, Probably Wrong:

There's also in general a surprise in that so far the show's always been one bad idea or stupid twist away from completely ruining itself, and yet it's managed to avoid that for 10 straight episodes. That's always a pleasant surprise.

Last edited by miketyson; 2011-06-18 at 09:13. Reason: One other thing
Old 2011-06-18, 14:06   Link #104
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Finally had time to catch Ep 10. And the rest of this anime.

Feels like watching another Key animation again, dammit man. Maybe the last 12 episodes are that they are not honest with themselves, and are all missing Menma, thus they are the ones who kept her on Earth?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-06-18, 14:16   Link #105
dragon132004

I am overflowing with many emotions after watching Episode 10.. Oh man .... Kayano Ai is really pulling a great performance in doing Honma Meiko/Ano Hana, Thats her second ever major role after Tachibana Isana/Yumekui Merry.
Old 2011-06-18, 17:58   Link #106
PzIVf3

This story seem not enough development for Tsuroko.
Old 2011-06-18, 19:28   Link #107
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
First of all, the episode itself was quite good, but not the best of the show, the ending especially was obvious since there is one episode left.

Anyway, despite several tear-jerking scenes, there was one line from Yukiatsu which was hilarious:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukiatsu->Naruko
There is one thing only you can do...

ANAL!
WTF, even the frame changed to show Naruko surprised

Anyway, moving to a couple of posts that caught my attention...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Tsuruko? Brutally incisive - I would say ruthless - but expert at self-deception and hasn't told Yukiatsu she loves him in what, 8 years? Fail.
And why would Tsuruko confess her feeling, already knowing that she will be rejected, instead of stay close as the closest friend, taking care of the person she cares about? How is this a fail? When you really love someone, it does not matter if he returns your feelings, you just appreciate it if he.she does... what you describe is just selfish and possessive.

Quote:
Yukiatsu? Do I even need to go there? Fail.
Yes it is creepy to take your outfit of your long dead unrequited love and express your feelings of longing and regret, but all humans do the same in front of rocks, over rotten bones, even spend a shit-load of money to make elaborate building, in order to do exactly the same... the only thing that still makes that scene creepy is that Yukiatsu chose a new item that conjured images of his cross-dressing misadventures, and not what he did in itself during the last episode.

Quote:
Jintan? See Yukiatsu. Fail.
I guess anyone haunted by the ghost of his childhood crush would have some psychological issues

Quote:
Anaru? I feel for her - she's straightforward and wears her heart on her sleeve, but hopelessly hung up on a guy who can't break free of his own past long enough to recognize her. Fail.
See Tsuruko, same reasoning applies to Naruko too.

Quote:
Poppo? Tempting. But he dropped out of school, may or may not be making up tales about world travel, and has a serious inferiority complex. Plus, he's stuck in an extended childhood - albeit with a smile on his face - and his "Say it!" mantra in #11 was borderline psychotic. Fail.
He had the less development and a lot of his actions seem strange because of that. If NoitaminA was a bit less innovative, there would be time to properly give him a background.

Quote:
Satoshi? Lost his sister as a toddler, and lost his mother at the same time. Feels abandoned by everyone in his family. Fail.
Yet handles better than anyone his misfortune... The kid is pure WIN!

Quote:
Menmama? Oy. Forget it - fail.
Heh? what? why? how?

Quote:
Menpapa? Started off looking like an ogre, turned out to just be a guy in pain trying to save his family after a terrible tragedy. Still... Fail.
And he did raise a balanced son, while dealing alone and unsupported with his loss, and in between was by his wife side when she really needed him... I say most effective dad EVAR

Quote:
Jinta's Dad? Well - way too permissive, but with love. Reacted to his son's pain by being ultra-understanding and letting him do as he wanted, but was always there for support with a smile on his face. I think that constant smile is overcompensation for a heavy heart, but he's borderline.
Too permissive, no! What was the alternative forcefully send Jintan to school, so everyone could make fun of him (making Jintan's situation much worse), instead of give him space and support to deal with the loss of his mother and his best friend. In addition, he had to shoulder everything, losing his wife, the depression of his son, and all the social pressure... I say second best dad!

Quote:
The problem is -- were they ever truly friends? It seems like each of them saved for Poppo and Jinta resented another member of the gang to some extent. The worst case being Yukatsu of course. He's always hated Jinta's guts and only hang around with the gang to be with Menma. He's not the type of guy I could call a friend if I were in Jinta's place. The only true bro in this series is Poppo.
Good question, how many friends do we have from elementary school... in my case zero, and I believe this is the norm, humans move on, and here is the problem with the cast, a tragic death paused their lives, being unable to deal with it after a decade is what binds them together in an elementary school type friendship. Whenever they meet they cast of any experience they have gained and become as emotionally fragile as they were 10 years ago... which is understandable, but painful.

Quote:
I'm not starting to think it might be better for everybody if they moved on and went their seperate ways. Right now, they are only hurting each other.
Only they can not, in order to move one they have to deal with the situation, what you suggest is not moving on, but running away, and is exactly what they were doing for 10 years.

Last edited by Malkuth; 2011-06-18 at 19:29. Reason: sorry for typos, too long to edit :/
Old 2011-06-18, 22:05   Link #108
Raiga
tl;dr

There's a lot to wrap up with only one episode remaining, but there have been many anime that have made me wonder, "How will they finish this all with only one episode?"

Not a single one has let me down so far and almost all have exceeded my expectations, so I'm holding out for that trend to continue. One way or another, next week is going to be a wild ride.
Old 2011-06-19, 02:11   Link #109
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
"How will they finish this all with only one episode?"
I have been thinking this since episode 9, I thought the pacing of the first eight episodes were perfect but now I'm worrying if they're able to properly wrap this up. I don't think a full cour is necessary but another two episodes would have helped.

Of course there's still room left for a sequel called "One flew over the forget-me-nots" involving the entire cast in a psychiatrist ward. But that series is going to end with Tsuroko killing Yukiatsu, after he has been lobotomised.
Hang on this sounds oddly familiar.
Old 2011-06-19, 02:57   Link #110
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Jinta's strangely silent. Then Poppo somehow starts trying to talk to him, realises he's not really mute. Hijacks the ward's bus--

Yeah, this does sound familiar.
Old 2011-06-19, 04:42   Link #111
VC Matsumoto
Anime Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to VC Matsumoto
Doesn't anyone kind of notice the similarity
of yukiatsu talking to the "Menma wig"
Like Hamlet talking to the Skull of his
dead uncle? (I know....I'm a reader of Shakespeare)

VC
Old 2011-06-19, 05:41   Link #112
be0wulf
it's friday

Send a message via MSN to be0wulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by VC Matsumoto View Post
Doesn't anyone kind of notice the similarity
of yukiatsu talking to the "Menma wig"
Like Hamlet talking to the Skull of his
dead uncle? (I know....I'm a reader of Shakespeare)

VC
Court jester, not uncle.

http://www.chunlikickedme.tumblr.com
Old 2011-06-19, 06:52   Link #113
mellomarie
fullblown technicolour

very pleased with the re-enactment--especially with jintan's development. i'm glad poppo stopped him from running away and that he finally had the balls to admit he loves menma...not that it wasn't completely obvious.

as for tsuruko...a bit suprised by her admission that she loves yukiatsu because it wasn't that obvious to me. either way, i'm quite proud that she realises he won't return her feelings. anaru could learn a thing or two from her. though i don't praticularly get WHY he wouldn't return her feelings and go for anaru--i don't think "one-upping jintan" is the reason, especially considering how jintan doesn't give a sh*t about anaru.

either way, good episode! i really liked the little jintan x menma we saw. it was cute.
Old 2011-06-19, 07:14   Link #114
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketyson View Post
guuchan: eh, big-picture no huge surprises but lots of surprises in the specific events.

There's also in general a surprise in that so far the show's always been one bad idea or stupid twist away from completely ruining itself, and yet it's managed to avoid that for 10 straight episodes. That's always a pleasant surprise.
I meant it story-wise. Presentation-wise it's full of surprises alright, otherwise we wouldn't be here, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellomarie View Post
as for tsuruko...a bit suprised by her admission that she loves yukiatsu because it wasn't that obvious to me. either way, i'm quite proud that she realises he won't return her feelings. anaru could learn a thing or two from her. though i don't praticularly get WHY he wouldn't return her feelings and go for anaru--i don't think "one-upping jintan" is the reason, especially considering how jintan doesn't give a sh*t about anaru.
Tsuruko liking Yukiatsu shouldn't really be a surprise at all since it was already hinted heavily in one of the previous episodes, when she said it was hard to keep up with him.

As for Yukiatsu x Tsuruko and Jinta x Anaru, I'm not sure if they will definitely not happen. I have a feeling that they might very well happen at the end.
Old 2011-06-19, 07:29   Link #115
fazer

Quote:
very pleased with the re-enactment--especially with jintan's development. i'm glad poppo stopped him from running away and that he finally had the balls to admit he loves menma...not that it wasn't completely obvious.
Have to agree on the part about Poppo stopping Jinta from running away was good. It was even a good thing for Jinta, to be given the chance to confess his affection for Menma, now if only Yukiatsu have a chance to do so....again

Quote:
as for tsuruko...a bit suprised by her admission that she loves yukiatsu because it wasn't that obvious to me.
I feel that Tsuruko affection for Yukiatsu was somehow expected, there have been some clues, the hair pin and the way why she keeps hanging around Yukiatsu, I mean he is not exactly a fun guy, unless she really enjoys stabbing him with her replies lol...

Quote:
either way, i'm quite proud that she realises he won't return her feelings. anaru could learn a thing or two from her.
Someone is a Tsuruko fan and Anjo hater! lol, I like the girls just the way they are. If Anjo becomes more like Tsuruko she would be less interesting. And someone has to be the crybaby of the group!

Quote:
though i don't praticularly get WHY he wouldn't return her feelings and go for anaru
I guess probably :
1) Yukiatsu is the same as Jinta, still stuck with Menma, they can't "see" anyone else...yet.
2) Tsuruko has always been rather cool, maybe Yukiatsu didn't see the signs.

Quote:
--i don't think "one-upping jintan" is the reason, especially considering how jintan doesn't give a sh*t about anaru.
Yes, it probably isn't the reason, maybe he feels Anjo is more attractive in some ways and its probably easy to be with her since Tsuruko is constantly jabbing him with her replies, but it almost look as if he enjoys it sometimes....

Jinta does give a shit for Anaru, he did save her from class the other day, the only problem is he has more shit to give for Menma at the moment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by guuchan View Post
As for Yukiatsu x Tsuruko and Jinta x Anaru, I'm not sure if they will definitely not happen. I have a feeling that they might very well happen at the end.
I want to see that happen! Happy ending please...too much sorrow so far!
Old 2011-06-19, 08:26   Link #116
mellomarie
fullblown technicolour

Quote:
Originally Posted by guuchan View Post

Tsuruko liking Yukiatsu shouldn't really be a surprise at all since it was already hinted heavily in one of the previous episodes, when she said it was hard to keep up with him.
i suppose, it was fairly ambiguous though. i mean, she wasn't very affectionate with yukiatsu though i suppose that's just her personality. should've expected the obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazer View Post
Someone is a Tsuruko fan and Anjo hater! lol, I like the girls just the way they are. If Anjo becomes more like Tsuruko she would be less interesting. And someone has to be the crybaby of the group!
no way i'm an anaru fan first and foremost, basically watch the show for her. i just want her to stop hurting and get over jintan.

and yeah the hair pin was something that struck me but i kinda brushed it off--i kinda hoped that their relationship would be platonic and just unorthodox, and not just the regular unrequited love dramaz. as for hanging around yukiatsu, i honestly thought they were pal-ing around...i mean their personalities aren't THAT different, studious and all that minus the sniffing

Quote:
I guess probably :
1) Yukiatsu is the same as Jinta, still stuck with Menma, they can't "see" anyone else...yet.
2) Tsuruko has always been rather cool, maybe Yukiatsu didn't see the signs.
very good theories. wonder if tsuruko told him her feelings though considering her disposition and yukiatsu's penchant for sniffing/crossdressing...unlikely lol.

Quote:
Jinta does give a shit for Anaru, he did save her from class the other day, the only problem is he has more shit to give for Menma at the moment...
meh. he could do MUCH better. honestly he seems a better friend to poppo though i guess form his point of view, anaru is clearly not looking for friendship. just feel bad for anaru she had to hear how he loves menma without her even getting a decent reply.
Old 2011-06-19, 08:46   Link #117
fazer

Quote:
no way i'm an anaru fan first and foremost, basically watch the show for her. i just want her to stop hurting and get over jintan.
Ops, sorry I guess we are all Anaru lovers, I mean Anjo lovers...no pun intended!
Old 2011-06-19, 09:29   Link #118
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Yet both posts are hilarious when read out of context

Oh! you Anaru lovers XD
Old 2011-06-19, 17:32   Link #119
achirist

This episode was great; so tense and raw. I really felt for Yukiatsu, again; and I loved his scheme to redo that day. Tsuroko looked so much more sophisticated with long hair, and I didn't care for her outfit at the end either. It was good to see Poppo acknowledge his resentment at being ultimately left out by the rest of them...

The cue for the ED was absolutely perfect; just at the moment when baka-jintan was forced to see that no, he can't stop the ending, just like he couldn't stop her from dying all those years ago. I'm really excited for the last episode, where we can learn what final secrets still remain buried amongst them. I think there is really more ease for a Yukiatsu/Tsuruko pairing than there is for a anaru/jintan one, at this point, but I imagine we'll get a resolution anyway. I think Yukiatsu doesn't realize her feelings at this point, and has just felt judged and intimidated up until then.
Old 2011-06-19, 18:31   Link #120
Dop
Mmmm....

After this episode, I'm starting to think that Menma isn't here for an unfulfilled wish, but rather that she's here for a promise she made to Jintan's mother.

There's a bit where she's remembering a conversation with Jintan's mother, and after the flashback we see Menma looking a bit translucent, and she says "wait a little more". That's significant, I think.

What I do know for 100% sure is that next week my tears will fall like rain.
Closed Thread