AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-05-01, 17:57   Link #241
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

This is certainly interesting. They're making a Halo webseries for Machinima.

Quote:
While it will take years before a "Halo" movie ever makes it to the bigscreen, Microsoft could revive the idea again with a live-action Web series it will launch ahead of "Halo 4" this fall.

The company's Xbox gaming division is putting considerable coin behind "Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn," which will play exclusively on male-skewing entertainment website Machinima and online community Halo Waypoint in the weeks leading up to "Halo 4's" release Nov. 6.

Project represents "the largest investment" Microsoft has made in live action to date, the company said.

Xbox is keeping a tight lid on additional details, including the Web series' director and cast, preferring to hype the involvement of its creative team at Comic-Con in San Diego this July.

After several pricey live-action shorts and commercials for previous "Halo" installments -- helmed by Neill Blomkamp ("District 9") and Rupert Sanders ("Snow White and the Huntsman") -- caught on, Microsoft wants to use the "Halo 4" Web series as a way "to make 'Halo' accessible for people who haven't played the games," according to Matt McCloskey, director of franchise business management at 343 Industries, which is taking over the "Halo" franchise from Bungie Studios.

"We wanted to do something unique from a narrative standpoint that's big in scale," McCloskey added.

"Forward Unto Dawn" will play out over five weekly installments, around 15 minutes each, telling an original story about the game's Master Chief and how he inspired a young UNSC cadet who will eventually become a leader aboard the UNSC Infinity spacecraft. Introduction of the new character will tie in with the plot of "Halo 4," while providing a flashback to the beginning of the "Halo" franchise's war between the humans and the evil Covenant.

"Every time we do a live-action commercial the audience says, 'We want to see more so that we can explore the 'Halo' universe a little bit more," said Frank O'Connor, franchise development director at 343 Industries. "Demand grew more and more out of the two little vignettes we'd previously produced."

But Microsoft had to make sure that the Web series didn't just appeal to hardcore "Halo" fans.

Playing the games and reading the books or other "Halo" spinoffs is "a big commitment," O'Connor said. "We needed a way to ensure there was a way for people to get onboard this universe without feeling intimidated." As a result, the Web series is "an origins story that teaches you about a lot of different facets of the ('Halo') universe."

Microsoft faces fierce competition this fall with "Halo 4's" launch, exclusive to the Xbox 360, with Activision Blizzard also releasing its latest game in the "Call of Duty" series, whose previous titles have consistently broken sales records over the last several years.

"Halo 3" became the biggest entertainment launch in history when it was released in 2007, earning $170 million in its first day in the U.S. and surpassing $300 million worldwide in its first week. Last year's "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3" blew away that record with a $400 million first-day haul in the U.S. and U.K. and $775 million globally in its first five days.

Still, the "Halo" franchise has generated revenue of more than $2 billion, selling 40 million copies worldwide and spinning off a series of bestselling novels, comicbooks, anime series and toys.

Microsoft considers the Web series "the next step" for the franchise as an entertainment property that could eventually lead to a theatrical feature -- after the plug on one was pulled by Universal and Fox that Blomkamp was to direct and Peter Jackson to produce in 2005.

"I don't think anybody needs any reminding of (the potential)," McCloskey said. "Everyone keeps reminding us of that."

Once the Web series ends its run, Microsoft plans to package the entire production in some form to "live on" on other platforms, McCloskey said.

Microsoft isn't alone in turning to live action to promote its games.

Last year, Warner Bros. scored with the Web series "Mortal Kombat: Legacy" (which also unspooled on Machinima) to hype the reboot of Midway Games' "Mortal Kombat," while Bethesda Softworks produced a live-action short for fantasy game "The Elder Skrolls V: Skyrim." More recently, Ubisoft enlisted "Logorama" helmers Francois Alaux and Herve de Crecy and Ridley Scott's RSA to produce "Ghost Recon: Future Soldier" as a 30-minute live action short to serve as a prequel for the upcoming game. Videogame publisher also produce live-action shorts for its "Assassin's Creed" franchise.

McCloskey stresses that the "Halo 4" Web series is "not just a marketing piece" to promote the game. "We wanted to go way beyond that and transform this live-action exploration from advertising into a full standalone product that people will enjoy."

Optimistic, but still a bit wary. While I loved the commercials that Blomkampf did back for Halo 3, the live action stuff for Halo Reach left something to be desired.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-01, 18:26   Link #242
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

I enjoyed all of them (Landfall, We Are ODST, and Deliver Hope), so I can't wait for this.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-03, 07:24   Link #243
DaRk HuNt3r F4n
>:3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post

That's a big gun.
I found out that the big gun chief has is an railgun. It says that it shoot powerfil explosive force on inpact against soft and hard enemies. Thereis a concept schematic of that weapon also there are concepts of AR, BR and DMR as well.
Old 2012-05-03, 09:25   Link #244
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Not much new info on the other guns. They're bassically about what you can expect in terms of appearance/functionality from the previous games.

The Railgun however is interesting. I wasn't sure they were gonna do a railgun, since that seemed like it might overlap with the role of the sniper rifle (precision long range power weapon, except...better). But the fact that it fires high explosive rounds makes it sound like this thing will have a slightly different utility than the sniper rifle.

The rounds don't look to big though. Maybe the idea is to make this thing like a long range grenade launcher with a flat trajectory?
Old 2012-05-03, 10:09   Link #245
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Considering that the sniper rifle in Halo is an anti-tank rifle, I'm not so sure myself. But I'm glad that the railguns are finally getting included; I'm surprised they weren't fielded sooner in the Covenant War, since they had them before the very start of the war.
Old 2012-05-03, 13:04   Link #246
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

It's about time.
Old 2012-05-03, 13:15   Link #247
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

The Rise And Fall Of Cortana In Halo 4

So guess Jen Taylor will be back as Cortana, thank god.

And as I said before Cortana looks great!

Totally looking forward to this part of the game, really hope it delivers, the story of the MC and Cortana is one of my all time favorites in Video Games.
Old 2012-05-03, 16:20   Link #248
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Thank goodness we finally got Jen Taylor confirmed for voicing Cortana. I would have been seriously irked if it turned out they replaced her...for some unfathomable reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Considering that the sniper rifle in Halo is an anti-tank rifle, I'm not so sure myself. But I'm glad that the railguns are finally getting included; I'm surprised they weren't fielded sooner in the Covenant War, since they had them before the very start of the war.
Well it's, not really. It's more that the game designers remembered that it WAS still a huge ass antimaterial rifle, and should really have effect on light vehicles like Ghosts and Banshees. Wasn't really hyper effective at taking out tanks unless you got rather lucky.

The fact that this thing has explosive shells makes me think they're going to do something else with it than precision long range shots, which I suspect will remain the sniper rifles specialty.
Old 2012-05-03, 16:22   Link #249
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Well it's, not really. It's more that the game designers remembered that it WAS still a huge ass antimaterial rifle, and should really have effect on light vehicles like Ghosts and Banshees. Wasn't really hyper effective at taking out tanks unless you got rather lucky.
Speak for yourself. Two or three sniper rifle shots in a tank you're driving and you were basically fucked in Reach. >.>
Old 2012-05-05, 02:48   Link #250
DaRk HuNt3r F4n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Speak for yourself. Two or three sniper rifle shots in a tank you're driving and you were basically fucked in Reach. >.>
Unless you firing ya lazaaah (2x max)! I hope that the railgun is not a replacement of spartan laser.
Old 2012-05-08, 01:28   Link #251
a3jay14
Hunter in the Night

Can't wait for the release, I hope 343 industries doesn't disappoint us.
Old 2012-05-14, 18:56   Link #252
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

boxart? looks crazy

http://i.imgur.com/owJvo.jpg
Old 2012-05-14, 20:25   Link #253
ScorchingFlames
Jack of Blades

I'm not sure if this is any relevance, but two new possible enemies for the game were shown on back of the Todd Mcfarlane Halo 4 toys packaging. The two are known as the Crawler and the Watcher.

http://i.imgur.com/bJpvf.jpg

The Crawler looks like some sort of dog.
While the Watcher looks like a cross between an Engineer and a Grunt.
ScorchingFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-15, 06:15   Link #254
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
boxart? looks crazy

http://i.imgur.com/owJvo.jpg
This image needs to be edited to properly convey it's majesty.
Old 2012-05-17, 04:44   Link #255
ScorchingFlames
Jack of Blades

Well it looks like we have conformation of a Limited Collectors edition of Halo4 now, and to what will be in the Limited edition as well.

http://www.allgamesbeta.com/2012/05/...d-edition.html
ScorchingFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-17, 05:13   Link #256
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

That actually isn't that bad a set of bonuses for the limited edition. I'm particularly interested in the 90 minute forward unto dawn thing.

I might just preorder the limited edition version.
Old 2012-05-19, 07:06   Link #257
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Some gameplay clips.

Old 2012-05-19, 08:39   Link #258
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

Its nice that they've confirmed that other newer gen spartans will feature but It would be much cooler if the remaining spartan II's also appeared too.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-19, 09:56   Link #259
DaRk HuNt3r F4n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Its nice that they've confirmed that other newer gen spartans will feature but It would be much cooler if the remaining spartan II's also appeared too.
Best thing of the Spartan IV is that they looked up to MC. Cant wait how it will turn out if they see that the chief is alive. Also there is something about the Didacts WarSphinx and the Promethean, do you guys think they might appear on Halo 4?
Old 2012-05-21, 13:56   Link #260
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Honestly? Given that the way that Noble Team featured into gameplay in Halo Reach...I'm happy with having less named principle characters. Spartan IV's will be more badass if they can actually be allowed to fight along side the player, and not hover back and randomly armor lock every five seconds because of their faulty AI.

Frankly I'd be much happier with competent red shirt AI allies like in Halo 2. Rather than tons of named characters who can't die...but don't make themselves all that useful.

Tags
halo 4, sierra 117