AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

View Poll Results: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - Episode 30 Rating
Perfect 10 8 15.69%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 14 27.45%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 21.57%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 11.76%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 9.80%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 5.88%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.96%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 3.92%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.96%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-11-01, 19:13   Link #21
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Not nearly as good as it could have been, though i still enjoyed it. Then again it was just worth it for Kimbley, seeing Hughes again, and the two very fitting eyecatches.

I broke down during Armstrong's scene, like i did in the manga. The whole Ishbal flashback arc in the manga was one very powerful, emotional experience, though i find with this episode that the Armstrong scene was the only one that captured that. A shame really. There's no excuse as to why anime only watchers can't go pick up volume 15, and read the Ishbal arc.

I guess cutting up the Ishbal arc did effect it.

Like what they tried to do with the epilogue, though it kinda fails because of the preview for episode 31.
Armstrong's scene was very powerful. And I thought Hawkeye's too- if understated and driven more by her tone and words combined with the images.

Roy's and Hughes was basically just implied enough that we could extrapolate from Hawkeye and Armstrong

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2009-11-01, 20:19   Link #22
Madvil

As an anime-only fan, I approve of this episode.
You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore.
Old 2009-11-02, 00:56   Link #23
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haladflire65 View Post
I didn't expect all that much. Sure enough, it was a little disappointing. They cut out a lot of my favourite scenes, such as Roy looking up at Bradley and Bradley commenting that Roy's already looking ahead of him
The sad thing is that they've already shown that scene twice, yet both times they failed to include Bradley's thoughts, which are vital to the scene. Way to fail.

Quote:
Now I'm suddenly wondering why the OP was covered with Ishbal glory...
Yeah, it doesn't make sense.

Unless they plan to show more of it later on, but I really doubt it.
Old 2009-11-02, 02:07   Link #24
GaimeGuy

fucking awful.

Are we absolutely SURE that they're planning on doing 63 episodes? Because at the pace things are going, the only way I can see that is if they do a very slow paced Briggs (think like the pace from episodes 21-26), and if they do a heavy expansion on the final arc (everything from chapter 85 onward )
Old 2009-11-02, 05:46   Link #25
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Now I'm suddenly wondering why the OP was covered with Ishbal glory...
Probably to cover up what they planned to do with this episode.
Old 2009-11-02, 06:02   Link #26
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaimeGuy View Post
fucking awful.

Are we absolutely SURE that they're planning on doing 63 episodes? Because at the pace things are going, the only way I can see that is if they do a very slow paced Briggs (think like the pace from episodes 21-26), and if they do a heavy expansion on the final arc (everything from chapter 85 onward )
I really don't know how they plan to do 63 episodes when manga isn't even finished

Well haven't seen episode yet, will say my opinion after watching it.
Old 2009-11-02, 07:09   Link #27
Krazzy Angel
despair v/s hope

poor episode. There were too many cuts of awesome dialogue and scenes. I really hope they include some more ishval flashback in future episodes.

Last edited by Krazzy Angel; 2009-11-02 at 07:14. Reason: spelling mistakes
Old 2009-11-02, 15:50   Link #28
Haladflire65
*Artist

But it seems like non-manga readers liked the episode, which means that it wasn't so bad. It's just us manga readers that are complaining like this - now that I think about it, cut scenes don't necessarily mean that the episode's bad. Probably we're all just really disappointed. Ishbal's such an amazing arc in the manga that this doesn't do it justice, but to people who haven't read it I suppose it wasn't as bad as we felt it was.

But yeah, I'm really sad about this episode. It wasn't terrible, though, if you just see it as a standalone thing and not compare it to the manga...
Old 2009-11-02, 19:03   Link #29
Ghostfriendly

I'm pretty annoyed with all the cuts, but they did restrict themselves to what Hawkeye/Marco had experienced, and could actually have told Ed/Scar about. Thankfully the explanation for the burn scars obscuring Riza's tatoo will have to be included later; Dr Knox's conversation with Marco, and Kimbley's experience with regard to the Rockbells' and his own arrest, will also probably turn up when those characters appear again (Knox is so brilliantly crusty here, I'm really looking forward to his later appearance).

The shooting of Fessler probably won't turn up, since none the characters involved are around any more, but I admit I'd rather have that scene cut than lose Mei's squeeing over Alphonse-Sama.

Overall though, this part of the manga felt like a complete and powerful story rather than an insertion. Seeing Scar's side of the story earlier was nice, but I really don't see why they couldn't have taken another episode. Hope that Mustang's drink with his squad turns up as well, since the squad reappear in the closing manga chapters.

Last edited by Ghostfriendly; 2009-11-02 at 19:25.
Old 2009-11-02, 20:13   Link #30
Rika24
EdWin, Royai, & RoyEd Fan

Send a message via AIM to Rika24 Send a message via MSN to Rika24 Send a message via Yahoo to Rika24
I’ve been looking forward to this just as much as I did the Roy vs Lust part. Sadly, unlike that episode that impressed me, this episode really disappointed me. They left out most of my favorite scenes as well as some of the parts that made the scenes more powerful.

Spoiler for manga stuff the ep left out:

I’m sure I left other things out, but it's been a while since I read it so those were the only parts I remember that weren't animated. you anime-only fans should do yourselves a favor and at least read volume 15 (chapters 58-61) to get the full impact of this arc.
Old 2009-11-02, 20:58   Link #31
Haladflire65
*Artist

@Rika: Most of us manga readers know what's been left out, so I don't feel that you have to state all the cut scenes again. It's making the episode sound much worse than it actually was.

But I do agree that anime-only watchers should read the 15th volume, since it doesn't require any pre-reading, and it'll give you a lot of backstory on many of the characters. Highly recommended!
Old 2009-11-02, 22:03   Link #32
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

from an anime only point of view, it was okay. from a manga reader point of view, it was rather bad...

i think the exclusion of
Spoiler for manga:
leaves out a very large slice of the emotional pie that was this episode.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2009-11-02, 22:51   Link #33
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Pretty good episode. Knew most of and saw most of it already too, especially with the older series too. I didn't realize what they did was pretty much state-ordered genocide though. Don't know how I didn't catch that in the beginning, but yeah.

And this was the best part of the whole episode.

Quote:
But I do agree that anime-only watchers should read the 15th volume, since it doesn't require any pre-reading, and it'll give you a lot of backstory on many of the characters. Highly recommended!
Once the anime finishes I'll read the whole manga, for sure.
Old 2009-11-02, 23:15   Link #34
mellomarie
fullblown technicolour

uh wow they realllly compressed things. i don't get why the OP basically implied that the Ishbal War would be a focus? I don't really understand the rush either because if they're going to bother with a filler, then why not animate this stuff in its entirety? A lot of my favourite scenes were either shortened or simply not mentioned.

Anyway, the scenes they did do were done really well--I especially enjoyed the Armstrong scene.
Old 2009-11-02, 23:38   Link #35
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

The anime is very well constructed... If you only watch the anime you can't really tell that you are missing very much. Again, manga readers fault something for not owning up to the source material instead of just treating the anime as its own separate entity. It's OK to be disappointed that you didn't get to see "XYZ" animated, but to call something badly made because of omissions is stupid.

I'm sure we'll see some more Ishbalan stuff in the future.
Old 2009-11-03, 00:45   Link #36
orangejuicetang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
The anime is very well constructed... If you only watch the anime you can't really tell that you are missing very much. Again, manga readers fault something for not owning up to the source material instead of just treating the anime as its own separate entity. It's OK to be disappointed that you didn't get to see "XYZ" animated, but to call something badly made because of omissions is stupid.

I'm sure we'll see some more Ishbalan stuff in the future.
I actually agree with this. It's sometimes gets really annoying when people moan about every change that an adaptation takes. Even though I've been disappointed with some cuts, unless it's something that's really important/doesn't make sense, it doesn't really make much difference.

I can't really think of another time to put more Ishbalan stuff in future episodes though.

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
Old 2009-11-03, 02:23   Link #37
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
Can anyone tell me the chapters this episode was on?
Spoiler for manga:

Pretty okay episode overall though. Nothing too big or anything.

Last edited by Freya; 2009-11-03 at 03:05.
Old 2009-11-03, 02:27   Link #38
ChronoReverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
++

I've read the manga but it's rather amusing how mountains are being made out of molehills with "XYZ is SUPREMELY important and they LEFT IT OUT".

It's too bad that parts are left out (and many of them rather poignant) but construction-wise, as Reckoner said, it's done well. Frankly, if they had broken it up into two episodes (as would be required to stuff everything in), anime-only viewers would probably think it overly long and approaching narm.
Old 2009-11-03, 04:17   Link #39
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freya View Post
Can anyone tell me the chapters this episode was on?
Chapters 58, 59, 60 and 61.
Old 2009-11-03, 08:00   Link #40
Kristen
*Author

I love these types of episodes that explain everything. I think it was the best episode of the series thus far. 10/10