AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-09-21, 23:58   Link #21
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
If either one gets a blue screen... there will be hell to pay.

touch screen- well, it was a good thought

about the maturity of games: Smash brothers (original) was very kiddy, and so was Zelda, Ocarina of time, but they still kicked every other game i have ever played (console)'s ass.

maturity of games isnt a factor. its playability ^^

EDIT: however, if i could get kana little sister to play...
hobobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-22, 00:11   Link #22
Shadowlord
~DESU

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantidor
I think you cannot say anything until you've hold it in your hands...

So... DekaMaster is right! ^_^ this is a very old topic that always leads to the sony fanboy x nintendo fanboy war which has left many wounded! but I dont care! as teh nintendo fanboy Ill stand up for Nintendo even if you beat me up to death

Im going to repeat myself again...

[nintendo fanboy mode]

first the PSP is simply a shrunk PS2, I cannot find that even remotely funny or entertaining, and if you want to see movies or listen music you have to use their proprietary format! most games for the PSP are simply ports... so for many PS2 users buying a PSP means buying twice every game or movie, but if you are going to buy just one guess which one is going to be?... honestly if metal gear acid was available for both the PS2 and the PSP wher would you prefer to play it? in a big screen or in a tiny one while waiting in line? Besides most people end up using their portables at home, whats the point then? better buy a PS2, (or even better, a GAMECUBE! XD) than expending so much money in the PSP.

Then is the simple fact of durability, portables are meant to be kept in pockets, to use them and abuse them, the PSP looks definately more cool than the DS (although the latest version of the DS is great! ) but it also looks to be very delicate, and I think its even more delicate since it use disks instead of cartridges. Nintendo has always put a great effort in the quality of their products, and Im very confident it will be the same with the DS, instead Ive heard lots of complaints about sonys product's like with the PS2, sure some of you have a PS2 in perfect condition, but its not everyone, while I still have to hear anyone whos gamecube has crash, even my old famicon and nintendo 64 work perfectly fine! how many playstations owners can say that?
[/nintendo fanboy mode]

although its nintendo fanboy blaberish , some of the points I mentioned are very valid. At the end its just different strategies, Nintendo is going for innovation, Sony is going for raw power. Specs are something we die hard game fans can always discuss and crave about, but not the general gamer, or people in general, when my dad look at mario sunshine for the first time, he said it looked the same as the N64! for him the PS2 and the PS1 are just the same graphics! in this next generation the difference its going to be even less noticable, thats why Nintendo has chosen to offer something completly unique.

Us Nintendo fanboys have got to stick together!!

Most of what I was going to say has already been said. The PSP's major fault is its UMD disks. Sure, they advertise video and music playability, but then you will have to purchase their music on their disks, no burning songs to use on it. The same goes with video, yeah, im gonna pay $40 for a dvd resized for the UMD diskd to watch on a 3" screen. It is unlikely many people are going to use the music and video features of the PSP (except maybe the 10 minutes waiting for your game to load )

The DS on the other hand, is all about innovation. Voice recognition, which, if they get FPS on the DS, will be incredible for online play. The touch screen, I will admit, im still a little weary of using for games, but messaging and such, great idea. They are both going to have 3d graphics, so I don't think you will notice much of a difference between them. It is still unkown about the sound quality of the 2, but I would anticipate both being the same. What I think will really pull Nintendo through in the end is its low price, and loads of features. Also, a strong fanbase doesn't hurt either

I have never liked Sony products, they have always been cheap, and fragile (im a panasonic guy) so I guess their is a vast amount of bias in my post.
Shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-22, 00:16   Link #23
DekaMaster
Banned

Yeah nintendo would never think about having people pay for something that would allow you to watch a cartoon or tv episode on a device attached to one of their handhelds. And they would never think about making it so you just had to buy their own format of these cartoons etc. Now if you will excuse me my friend came over and is watching Sponge Bob on his gba video player HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAH
DekaMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-22, 00:23   Link #24
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
Quote:
Originally Posted by DekaMaster
Yeah nintendo would never think about having people pay for something that would allow you to watch a cartoon or tv episode on a device attached to one of their handhelds. And they would never think about making it so you just had to buy their own format of these cartoons etc. Now if you will excuse me my friend came over and is watching Sponge Bob on his gba video player HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAH
LOL well, thats true, but they are exploiting this lately, the gameboy advance wasnt advertise as a movie player, while the PSP is. And Im not sure if its actually Nintendo publishing this, Im almost sure they are not, its probably a third party device.
mantidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-22, 09:14   Link #25
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba
I'm not really interested in the console market, but just a thought :
Why do you all seem to think that the previous market experience of nintendo will unsure it's vicory? I mean, I think that the first play station showed to all of us (and it was unexpected) that sony could grab a market that seemed unreachable and do so with one product.
well, the possibility is always there, that's for sure, but the problem is how high that possibility is. If I'm forced to bet all my money on one of them, I think I'll have to put my money on Nintendo, simply because I think it has a high possibility of maintaining its handheld market supremacy this time, maybe Sony will be able to eat into the handheld market with PSP, but I doubt it will be able to topple Nintendo's hold on handheld market anytime soon. the possibility of Sony pulling a Playstation-like miracle again is there, but the chance is not high. Also Nintendo's current hold on handheld market is quite stronger than it had on console market back when Sony released Playstation. But I have to say if I'm to choose between Nintendo DS and PSP, I'll most likely choose PSP.
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-22, 12:28   Link #26
Yuiichi
Retired.

In the end, its more of a question of prefrences. If you're a nintendo fanboy, you will probably like DS. If you're a Sony fanboy, you would probably like the PSP. I've always loved Sony for exceptional quality and nice design on their products. I've disliked Nintendo for the lack of games that i enjoy playing (RPG's.)
Yuiichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-22, 12:40   Link #27
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuiichi
In the end, its more of a question of prefrences. If you're a nintendo fanboy, you will probably like DS. If you're a Sony fanboy, you would probably like the PSP. I've always loved Sony for exceptional quality and nice design on their products. I've disliked Nintendo for the lack of games that i enjoy playing (RPG's.)
err... choosing Nintendo DS or PSP doesn't make us "fanboys"... and I thought the term "fanboy" is a bit... derogatory? Also how can I be a Sony fanboy if I don't think they can take over the handheld market

(I guess I'll most likely end up with a GBASP and a PSP in the end of this generation of handheld war)
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-22, 13:02   Link #28
Yuiichi
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
err... choosing Nintendo DS or PSP doesn't make us "fanboys"... and I thought the term "fanboy" is a bit... derogatory? Also how can I be a Sony fanboy if I don't think they can take over the handheld market

(I guess I'll most likely end up with a GBASP and a PSP in the end of this generation of handheld war)
I never said it did. I was saying that the current Fanboys would get the product relating to the company that they are fans of.
Old 2004-09-22, 13:11   Link #29
ramune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuiichi
I never said it did. I was saying that the current Fanboys would get the product relating to the company that they are fans of.
That's not always true. I'm a Sony fanboy. Most of my electronic gadgets are Sony products. ie. computer, cd player, digital camera, PS2...etc. but that doesn't mean I'll get the PSP just because it's from Sony.

As other people have said, PSP is just a portable PS2. Nothing new. But the DS is very innovative. That's why I choose the DS over the PSP.
ramune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-22, 13:23   Link #30
DekaMaster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramune
That's not always true. I'm a Sony fanboy. Most of my electronic gadgets are Sony products. ie. computer, cd player, digital camera, PS2...etc. but that doesn't mean I'll get the PSP just because it's from Sony.

As other people have said, PSP is just a portable PS2. Nothing new. But the DS is very innovative. That's why I choose the DS over the PSP.

How do you know? Last I heard the PS2 is not able to do wireless gaming with people on the planet. Nor does it have voice recognition for translation. Nope no inovation there

And innovation doesn't always mean it will be good. Just look at the virtual boy.
Old 2004-09-22, 13:51   Link #31
Kyolux

Send a message via MSN to Kyolux
I'm looking forward to buy the Nintendo DS Ultra Advance SP X super green version Z. You know how nintendo releases handheld modifications every months like they did with gb becoming gb color, then gba becoming gba sp. And all the other colour variations. DS has the same future. Not that it is wrong, but this is over marketing something. The gba sp should have been what the gba was in the start.

Last edited by Kyolux; 2004-09-22 at 14:43. Reason: Elaborating
Kyolux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-22, 15:46   Link #32
Archuka
A territory most absolute

I don't like either of them. Sony will be competing with itself (PSP vs PS2) and the touch sensitive screen on DS will kill Nintendo's new toy.

The PSP is small, but it's not exactly a GameBoy. You can't carry it around on some damn bus stations. In the end it's only a weaker, yet more expensive PS2.
I don't understand the reasoning behind DS either. I can't see what's happening on the screen if I have my fingers on it all the time.

GBA SP will probably reign supreme over these next generation portables.

Last edited by Archuka; 2004-09-22 at 19:43.
Archuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-22, 18:07   Link #33
FrostLich

DS's touch pad can easily be scratched which is bad especially when your trying to play competitively with that damn pen. Their metroid first person shooting game is going to use this pen which I kind of like since a pen is much more like a mouse then a control pad. Rather then depending on the speed your character can turn, a pen is pure reflexes which can make you turn faster. The touch pad will allow lots of first person shooter games to open up in the DS. They also have some cool features like they showed this example where they had to slice vegtables with the pen in the game wario ware 2.

The duel screen will not always be used and according to lots of developers, they dont even know how to use it. So a lot of games probably wont use it at all. However, if you've owned a GBA and played games like Castlevania, u know how important this duel screen is with the map on one screen. Pressing start and waiting to load the map and then having to return to the game may not be that time consuming but when your lost and have to look at the map every second, it can get frustrating.

Although I beleive that PSP will go far and give DS a good run, most people can not dish out that much money for a portable system. I for one would rather just buy a home console then buy a portable system thats more expensive. I do not find battery life to be that bad of a problem since you can simply pack some extra batteries. However, one of PSP's greatest advantage against DS is it's analog stick. I have no idea why DS doesnt have one especially since a lot of portable games will be 3D now. I just hope that the lack of an analog stick will not kill some of the 3D games.
FrostLich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-22, 19:43   Link #34
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostLich
DS's touch pad can easily be scratched which is bad especially when your trying to play competitively with that damn pen.
From what Ive read of the DS presentation at E3, some games (like wario ware) did not just use the touch pad, the encourage its abuse! you had to use your own fingers and rub the screen as hard as you can in some cases, and from what the reporters said the screen resisted this abuse without even a tiny scratch. But as I mentioned, we cant say anything until holding it with our own hands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostLich
The duel screen will not always be used and according to lots of developers, they dont even know how to use it. So a lot of games probably wont use it at all.
thats sadly true that dual screen is big challenge to developers, I think that at the end game companies will wait for Nintendo to exploit the dual screen feature and then copy it, I mean its basically the way the console industry has been since the golden era of the NES! Nintendo does something, everyone else copy it adding more blood, gore and boobs.
Old 2004-09-22, 21:03   Link #35
Yuiichi
Retired.

Each of the new portables have good qualities and bad qualities. After hearing the news about the touch screen being very scratchable... that just turned me off. I hated when my GBA screen got a little scratch on it... and i sure wouldn't want my new Handheld to be scratched.

I'm wondering if it comes with a stylus, or if you have to supply your own. If it doesn't come with one... that would be poor on nintendo's part. You can't have your finger blocking the screen when playing the new Metroid game. Actually, that would be the only game to draw me to the DS. Considering it does use the touch screen for control, it would simulate mouse look, like on pc, which i'm a lot more comfortable with in shooters.

Some people have said that the PSP is just going to be a smaller, more expensive PS2. Well, it is true that the PSP's graphics are just as good as the PS2's, but i don't think it will be just a miniture of the already greatest selling Next Gen console.

Just like Nintendo now, it will not just have ports of the PS2's games... it will have a lot of its own titles. If it did have a few good PS2 games on it, i would be happy. Not that it would be a replacement for my PS2, but it would add extra portability that you don't get with consoles. I don't want to have to drag around my 50' big screen and my PS2 with me to play my PS2 games.

Although i will not be getting a new portable, i think that it will be a close match between the two.
Old 2004-09-23, 06:15   Link #36
Ending

From my point of view:

NDS: A new toy for kids, this time with a gadget. Still, shell-cases are pretty popular now, especially in US, and "N" brand sells too.

PSP: Wider screen and another good brand, but more mature games. Will definitely sell well.

N-Gage: First version flopped, so how would the second one be any different...? Not sure -it hasn't been in the spotlight too much...

/Me thinks that PSP will arise as the winner, but I guess that only Nokia can actually lose something in this.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-23, 11:31   Link #37
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirhe
From my point of view:

NDS: A new toy for kids, this time with a gadget. Still, shell-cases are pretty popular now, especially in US, and "N" brand sells too.

PSP: Wider screen and another good brand, but more mature games. Will definitely sell well.
you are so sad... you use the "kiddy" statement to argue so much that Im starting to think you are a bit inmature, I mean, God forbids someone seeing you play the kiddy Ocarina of Time (the best game ever and Im not the only one who says it) people might think you are kiddy! better play grand theft auto, you can roll over grandmas! that sure makes you waaaaay more mature than most of us

crap >_<! the fanboy in me is out again sorry, thats the main reason Wirhe ended up ignoring me! I told you this is a pile of gas. and when people go "Nintendo is teh |<iddy!!!1!1" it pisses me off so much >_<!! it just show how inmature they are.

I wasnt going to post this but Wirhe is my inspiration ^_^ now I have to share this with you, two days ago Nintendo revealed the DS launch date and price

http://www.planetgamecube.com/news.c...n=item&id=5631

I know its biased source so bear with me thats the official press release anyway.

the best line
Quote:
The new media format for games means that Nintendo DS has no moving parts that could be misaligned if the unit is dropped or jarred.
LOL this line cracks me up every time I read it.

for more giggles:

http://news.gaminghorizon.com/media/1095865628.html

poor Manfred...
if by any chances Wirhe responds, he most likely will be accusing me of being a child, thats is such a terrible offence [/sarcasm]
Old 2004-09-23, 11:41   Link #38
hamiko_san
September Jellyfish

10 things more, you never know.

Last edited by hamiko_san; 2007-12-25 at 16:25.
hamiko_san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-23, 12:23   Link #39
DekaMaster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantidor
you are so sad...

And the name calling begins
Old 2004-09-23, 12:43   Link #40
Yuiichi
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekaMaster
And the name calling begins
Lets not start name calling and continue with the heated debate.