AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2009-04-12, 11:01   Link #101
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

I'm a mecha person, here's some mecha fights that most of you have never seen before.

FACE OPEN!!!!!!!
GO!! GAIKING THE GREAT!!!!!!
Daiya, has the voice of Luffy. This is the first time Luffy tries his new technique, Gear Second, all the talking and explanation is cut out in this video though. Listen out for the sonic boom at 0:34:
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 14:16   Link #102
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiNA View Post
My benchmark of what a fight should be..
Bad KiNA, how dare you use a super awesome fight choreography by Production I.G with the power of NHK funding as your benchmark! It's the pinnacle of anime action sequence.

Fluid detailed animation, beautiful choreography, superb sound effect and an exciting bgm made Seirei no Moribito's fight 2nd to none.
Old 2009-04-12, 14:22   Link #103
qwertyuiopz

antagonist vs antagonist fights
qwertyuiopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 09:35   Link #104
Solidus1321

Send a message via Yahoo to Solidus1321
I love it when the fights are like 2 armys going at it, with a good long plot and strategy. Doesn't matter if its mecha battle or Samurai . Nothing wrong with a simple hand to hand combat between 2 people, but I find it more entertaining in a huge battle setting...Yes im a RTS dude =)
Solidus1321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 14:03   Link #105
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Queen's blade type of fight
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 15:18   Link #106
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
If you've seen the battleship fights/fighter dogfights in Last Exile, you know what I like.

Old 2009-04-19, 01:26   Link #107
porous_shield

I've always disliked mecha fights or where both characters can take insane amounts of damage for no real discernable reason. I thoroughly dislike it when two characters charge at each other like they are jousting (Mai Otome). Their air jousting really removed interest later in the series for me. I hate when characters take down reams of unnamed baddies, or stormtrooper and red shirt syndrome. All those damn bullets should hit something.

With that being said the best fights that I can remember were in Ghost in the Shell and Samurai Champloo. Exilerating, fairly realistic, gun or sword fights.
porous_shield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-20, 12:49   Link #108
zebra
❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❥

Send a message via AIM to zebra Send a message via MSN to zebra
The ugly, brutal ones. Or the one's that simply have great action - good animation and effects is a must too enjoy it.

I detest mechas in general, but I loved the fights in Evangelion. Those pumped me really up. The fights in Fullmetal Panic - nearly put me too sleep, though xD
The fights in Claymore were pretty good, too.

Unfortunately many shonen series suffer in fights from the horrible pacing or the animation quality. If I like the action in the corresponding manga more, there's definitly something wrong.
... Or they suffer from sheer stupidity. THE WORLD EXPLODES IN 5 MINUTES - .. so let's stare at each other intentely for an eternity and discuss why we think the other is a fool!

Sometimes it's also too obvious where the fight is heading, like if you already know, that the hero has a new power up / technique up his sleeve, but didn't use it yet.

I'm a big fan of action. Good fights are one of the rare scenes where I say "Logic be damned ... that was simply awesome!!!" A shame one mostly finds the better action in the more mature series, but oh well
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-21, 05:05   Link #109
Meatrose
Antihero

What defines crappy fight scenes: They're long, drawn out battles with severe pacing issues that often lack proper closure. Characters shout out attack names and tend to stand around staring at each other while dropping ridiculous comments about their own (and their opponent's) techniques to make sure the audience understands why the main character's overpowered main attack won't work against this random fellow. They also tend to, during badly executed pauses in the fight, realize incredibly convenient facts about their opponent's abilities.

Examples: Bleach, Naruto.

What defines great fight scenes: They're short and decisive battles. If the characters engage in some kind of dialogue it comes off as natural. They are well choreographed and well directed.

Examples: The way they emphasize the finishing blow in this fight (slightly reduced playback speed, "handheld" cameramotions, grass whirling in the air as a result of the powerful blow, the roar of the ferocious "beast" that resides within Balsa... just to name a few things) is simply breathtaking in my opinion. This is definitely one of the best fight scenes I've ever seen.

Last edited by Meatrose; 2009-04-21 at 05:35.
Meatrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-21, 05:47   Link #110
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatrose View Post
Examples: The way they emphasize the finishing blow in this fight (slightly reduced playback speed, "handheld" cameramotions, grass whirling in the air as a result of the powerful blow, the roar of the ferocious "beast" that resides within Balsa... just to name a few things) is simply breathtaking in my opinion. This is definitely one of the best fight scenes I've ever seen.
The finishing blow was really felt, that sound of steel cutting through, echoing across the scene as he realized his defeat, dying. No excess brutality, no flying limbs or blood geysers. Yeah, certainly a very nice scene.
Old 2009-04-23, 18:13   Link #111
itisjustme

Usually I like any fight that's dynamic, fast, tense, credible and well animated (no zipzip teleporting/three sword slash lines and the enemy drops dead shortcuts please). I don't have anything against mecha/superpowers/whatever in principle but the fights that come to mind are all realistic, like Moribito or the Kenshin OVA.

However I think this one takes the cake for me (vid's a little choppy for me but I can't find a better one):

Great music, no useless blabbling, great choregraphy and rhythm, a little over the top but still believable, creative, violent but not gratuitously gory, and the tension release after a whole movie that's been building up towards this moment. No other animated scene gives me such an adrenaline rush.
itisjustme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 22:21   Link #112
Waking_Dreamer
Dreamer King

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisjustme View Post
Usually I like any fight that's dynamic, fast, tense, credible and well animated (no zipzip teleporting/three sword slash lines and the enemy drops dead shortcuts please). I don't have anything against mecha/superpowers/whatever in principle but the fights that come to mind are all realistic, like Moribito or the Kenshin OVA.

However I think this one takes the cake for me (vid's a little choppy for me but I can't find a better one):

Great music, no useless blabbling, great choregraphy and rhythm, a little over the top but still believable, creative, violent but not gratuitously gory, and the tension release after a whole movie that's been building up towards this moment. No other animated scene gives me such an adrenaline rush.
Thats an impressive one I must say!
Waking_Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-24, 00:05   Link #113
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes
fight scenes that are not pointlessly drawn out due to a large number of suddenly new found powers.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?
dragon4dudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-24, 10:42   Link #114
Waking_Dreamer
Dreamer King

Also have to point out...I always have this big grin on my face when I see a showdown between a guy with a gun - and a guy with a sword...!!!

It always amazes me how awesome yet wrong that concept is. The rule of cool I guess! But I always chuckle and say to myself...only in anime...only in anime!!
Waking_Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-24, 14:17   Link #115
Langknow

I love drawn out fights in the form of ONe Piece. And the mystery of how to beat a boss .

http://www.youtube.com/langknow
Langknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-24, 17:21   Link #116
danin8r44
The King of the Insane

I generally become disinterested in a fight the second that one of the two fighters (there almost always are only two fighters in these scenarios) has to state the name of the technique he is using before or during its use. A character announcing the name of their technique in battle is only awesome in parodies.
I really enjoy well choreographed, well animated hand to hand or melee weapon to melee weapon fights. That and well choreographed, well animated dogfights.
danin8r44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-24, 18:47   Link #117
Hs Vi Germania
Please call me "senpai":)
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Hs Vi Germania
Quote:
Originally Posted by itisjustme View Post

very realistic. i like these authentic fights the most
Old 2009-04-25, 05:37   Link #118
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
I also like to add that I light fight scenes that are a little more down to earth as far as skill goes...I like shounen fights, but they get old pretty quickly, since the whole supernatural power can only wow me once and then get repetitive after then; It seems based less on tactics and skills and more on who's got the higher power levels...Supernatural can work if it's not overexploited, like The Force in Star Wars, since lightsaber duels are still largely combatant-determined...

I can't help but always point to Samurai Champloo as one of my favorite examples of well-executed battle scenes...Choreography is one of the main reasons I love the series, but I also love it because it's intelligent...Not one fight scene in it makes me think "Wow, that's impossible" or "Wow, that looked stupid" because it's all practically something that could be plausibly replicated in real life...You can't replicate Naruto or Bleach in real life...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-25, 19:02   Link #119
zebra
❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❥

Send a message via AIM to zebra Send a message via MSN to zebra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatrose View Post

Quote:

.... I totally have to watch those O.O
'Seirei No Moribito' and 'Sword of the Stranger' is it right? Awesome action ... only praying for a good story left xD Thanks for posting these examples.
I already forgot there are more down to earth action scenes, too Just what I like
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-25, 21:23   Link #120
Plun

Didn't see some of them so I'm not going to watch them or else it'll ruin the anime for me. I like scenes like the ones in Kurokami. :]
Plun is offline   Reply With Quote