AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2012-02-05, 20:56   Link #21
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I wonder....will there come a time for internet privateers...as oppose to pirates?
China was the first to run those e-privateer fleets against computer companies setting up on their soil; they thought they could nationalise their corporations before the latter corporatise them.

I'll let history just their actions.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-05, 21:00   Link #22
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
China was the first to run those e-privateer fleets against computer companies setting up on their soil; they thought they could nationalise their corporations before the latter corporatise them.

I'll let history just their actions.
I remember they tried to do Google in too. Sheesh...
djmaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-05, 21:41   Link #23
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaca View Post
Dude, e-pirates =/= thugs, warlords, rapists, pillagers, gangsters and drug addicts/dealers. E-pirates are worse than that: they steal intellectual properties. Meaning they steal intellect. So e-pirates steal intellect from Hollywood (if there were any from the start).
Heh... I'll also just keep reminding people the "emperor has no clothes". There is no such thing as "intellectual property". There is copyright, patent, and trademark - each of which is a set of specific limited tools to permit the creator a head start on $profit$.
Old 2012-02-05, 21:43   Link #24
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Heh... I'll also just keep reminding people the "emperor has no clothes". There is no such thing as "intellectual property". There is copyright, patent, and trademark - each of which is a set of specific limited tools to permit the creator a head start on $profit$.
I contest, my brain is intellectual property. It has intellect, and is thus an intellectual... and is my property. Or am I its property.
Old 2012-02-05, 22:01   Link #25
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'll let Thomas Jefferson comment:
Quote:
"If nature has made any one thing less susceptible than all others of exclusive property, it is the action of the thinking power called an idea, which an individual may exclusively possess as long as he keeps it to himself; but the moment it is divulged, it forces itself into the possession of every one, and the receiver cannot dispossess himself of it. Its peculiar character, too, is that no one possesses the less, because every other possesses the whole of it. He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me."
Old 2012-02-05, 22:35   Link #26
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

No, no, no, a thousand times no.

Piracy cannot be stopped. It will not be stopped. It is simply an impossibility to stop. There are more websites than there are people in the world. This is simply rent-seeking, and nothing more. I have no sympathy for the vast majority of piracy victims. If you're well-known enough to be pirated, you're well known enough to have been remunerated appropriately by that point.

And if your work is bad, then nobody will bother file-sharing it anyway.
Old 2012-02-05, 23:11   Link #27
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
I'll let Thomas Jefferson comment:
So Jefferson meant that MPAA can't think?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-05, 23:19   Link #28
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
So Jefferson meant that MPAA can't think?
The MPAA doesn't actually create ideas anyway... No, what TJ meant is that once an idea is expressed out loud, it replicates automatically to anyone who hears it. By definition, it can't be "property".
Old 2012-02-06, 00:12   Link #29
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
The MPAA doesn't actually create ideas anyway... No, what TJ meant is that once an idea is expressed out loud, it replicates automatically to anyone who hears it. By definition, it can't be "property".
So a song or a movie, one replicated and sold, it isn't the sole property of the director or the producers anymore. It passes to the public, who should be free to do anything he wants with it.
Old 2012-02-06, 00:21   Link #30
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaca View Post
So a song or a movie, one replicated and sold, it isn't the sole property of the director or the producers anymore. It passes to the public, who should be free to do anything he wants with it.
That's the way copyright works... the creator gets a specific limited period of time to profit, after that it passes into the public domain. Anything more than that begins to stifle future creativity and invention - which is what we're starting to see in patent wars and the increasing restrictions on artists because some monolith "owns" a somewhat similar idea they took from a previous artist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critici...ctual_property

Creations throughout most of human history had no "limited time" at all. You saw an idea and thought it was cool, you used it. You heard a bard sing a tune and you'd create your own take on it in the next town.
Old 2012-02-06, 01:17   Link #31
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Even one of our primary means of destruction could be called stolen propery if you take it that way. Gun powder. Chinese invention form a very long time ago. It seems like the Europeans got their hands on it and some hand cannons and decided to improve on the hand cannons and such that were coming out of China and the Middle East. And with them stated to take over he planet...even though the Chinese, Arabs, and Persians had them first.
Old 2012-02-06, 23:53   Link #32
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Quote:

Thing is, IP is with us for good now. Something we will have to deal with from now on, as companies have shown they are not willing to accept new models. I do wonder what their thought processes will be when pirating is gone and revenue doesn't skyrocket.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-06, 23:55   Link #33
Xagzan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerII View Post
Thing is, IP is with us for good now. Something we will have to deal with from now on, as companies have shown they are not willing to accept new models. I do wonder what their thought processes will be when pirating is gone and revenue doesn't skyrocket.
"Pirating gone?"
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-07, 00:05   Link #34
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

OPEN has been around for a while as a moderate alternative to SOPA/PIPA by the more moderate members of the parliament.

Incidentally OPEN is backed up by Google, Facebook, and several tech companies. Apparently this time around it will be the complete opposite when it comes to who's supporting it and who's against it. It's not perfect though, and it has many shortcomings, but it's definitely a step in the right direction.

I do believe that piracy is a problem that should be addressed eventually. But I also believe that intellectual copyright is the bigger problem and should receive our attention first.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-07, 03:09   Link #35
djmaca
My Girl ↓

http://memegenerator.net/instance/14169664

Bcuz Im bored.
Old 2012-02-07, 03:58   Link #36
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
I'm not the person who has the money to watch the all the movies I wanted to watch.

I'm not an otaku who has the money to buy or imported mangas, and DVDs from Japan.

I don't even have the money to get out of my country.

All I got is a dollar to t spent in a internet cafe to experience it all.... Is that wrong?!

Take it all away you, WESTERN ZAIBATSUs! DAMN, McArthur will sure get your ass kicked!!!
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-07, 13:34   Link #37
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
I'm not the person who has the money to watch the all the movies I wanted to watch.

I'm not an otaku who has the money to buy or imported mangas, and DVDs from Japan.

I don't even have the money to get out of my country.

All I got is a dollar to t spent in a internet cafe to experience it all.... Is that wrong?!

Take it all away you, WESTERN ZAIBATSUs! DAMN, McArthur will sure get your ass kicked!!!
I think the general consensus from companies is that most people who pirate have and will pay if forced to. To those who can't pay, they don't care and you will just have to go without.
Old 2012-02-07, 14:22   Link #38
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

good article here

You will never kill piracy, and piracy will never kill you.
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-07, 17:31   Link #39
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. DJ View Post
No, but you can cut a swath through the numbers of pirates. As I have said before, tech advanced people will find a way, but taking out DDL and torrents or blocking access to nation's ISPs that don't follow copyright laws will get most.
Old 2012-02-07, 19:17   Link #40
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

We had a lot of youngsters in the late 80s early 90s that managed to figure out arcane computer systems and internet protocols and clients... I guess we may see if the young people are still as clever.