AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-12-24, 15:34   Link #25421
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
My uncle is a mechanical engineer for Standard Oil and he makes close to $100,000 a year... granted, he has a master's degree and the job he has now is the only job he's ever had in his entire adult life. Hired right out of college back in the 80s.
I think the problem is that the industrial sector hasn't shown much job growth in the last 30 years. That said, it could simply be that I'm living in the wrong country (and I know for a fact that the average engineering wage right out of college is something like 25k-30k).
Old 2012-12-24, 16:40   Link #25422
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I was a History Major. I still haven't figured out a job that uses it that pays. Nearly everything I see is volunteer or teaching.
I am currently a history major, and with one semester left I don't see much job opportunity with it. At this point I need to go to graduate school, honestly in current world it is necessary to get a decent paying job.
Old 2012-12-24, 16:43   Link #25423
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
I think the problem is that the industrial sector hasn't shown much job growth in the last 30 years. That said, it could simply be that I'm living in the wrong country (and I know for a fact that the average engineering wage right out of college is something like 25k-30k).
i think it is where you are living in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
I am currently a history major, and with one semester left I don't see much job opportunity with it. At this point I need to go to graduate school, honestly in current world it is necessary to get a decent paying job.
write Historical/Alt.Historical fiction?
Old 2012-12-24, 16:50   Link #25424
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
write Historical/Alt.Historical fiction?
Hahahaha , it is interesting you mentioned this. Writing historical novels or any novels would actually be my dream job. But I don't have much talent as a writer so graduate school is the safest option for me.

Or I could always try to be those "historians" on History Channel.
Old 2012-12-24, 18:19   Link #25425
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
OK, so grad school will keep you busy a few more years. Then what?
Old 2012-12-24, 18:28   Link #25426
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
OK, so grad school will keep you busy a few more years. Then what?
Hopefully a job.
Old 2012-12-24, 19:23   Link #25427
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Confessed serial killer hid in plain sight, then broke own rules
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8BN0EM20121224
Quote:
A confessed serial killer from Alaska who hid in plain sight and whose crimes went undetected for more than a decade, was ultimately caught after he gave in to his compulsions and struck close to home.
Old 2012-12-24, 19:26   Link #25428
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Hopefully
That's the problem right there.

If 4 years of studying history isn't going to get you a job, 6 years (or worse 8 years for you PhDers out there...) isn't going to make any difference.

"Hopefully" is a pretty shaky foundation to build a career on. That said, I'll do something for 2 weeks to "hopefully" get a job out of it, but not 2 years.

If you think it's going to be any easier with a few extra letters after your name, you're wrong. There's a lot of "John Doe BA MA PhD"s flipping burgers right now to prove that.
Old 2012-12-24, 19:31   Link #25429
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
For the US it's a bit higher. Somewhere between 40-50k for a bachelor's and a bit more (~60k) for a master's engineer. Granted this is electronic and computer engineering, not mechanical, so I'm not really sure about that.

I don't know how much my uncle made when he first was hired back in the 80s, but I'm sure it was probably a lot less than what he makes now (considering inflation, the devaluation of the dollar in the mid-80s and whatnot).
Old 2012-12-24, 19:50   Link #25430
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Lets see, I'm a BSEE, graduated in 1981. Job offers ranged from $23K to $30K. I took a $24K job in the aerospace sector NASA and Air Force focused.

1981 dollars adjust for inflation forward 31 years
Old 2012-12-24, 20:30   Link #25431
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
That's the problem right there.

If 4 years of studying history isn't going to get you a job, 6 years (or worse 8 years for you PhDers out there...) isn't going to make any difference.

"Hopefully" is a pretty shaky foundation to build a career on. That said, I'll do something for 2 weeks to "hopefully" get a job out of it, but not 2 years.

If you think it's going to be any easier with a few extra letters after your name, you're wrong. There's a lot of "John Doe BA MA PhD"s flipping burgers right now to prove that.
Well I am not going to study history for 2 or 4 more years, I already talked to one of my professor about this. Going to graduate school for history is not easy to get scholarships nor do I see a great future with it. What I am planning is security studies. And really nothing in life is guaranteed so I can't really say "I will get a job", all I can say is hopefully.
Old 2012-12-24, 21:21   Link #25432
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Hahahaha , it is interesting you mentioned this. Writing historical novels or any novels would actually be my dream job. But I don't have much talent as a writer so graduate school is the safest option for me.

Or I could always try to be those "historians" on History Channel.
Foreign relations? Some analyst in some think tank?
Old 2012-12-24, 21:31   Link #25433
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Lets see, I'm a BSEE, graduated in 1981. Job offers ranged from $23K to $30K. I took a $24K job in the aerospace sector NASA and Air Force focused.

1981 dollars adjust for inflation forward 31 years
The CIA pays you that much? No wonder why Ames and Hansen flipped.

Granted, there is something wrong out there. I am a Dip Management and I earn more than my sis, who is a BSBME. Even excluding my 2nd job I earn 18% less, put in my 2nd job (once/twice per week) and I earn 20% more.

Engineers are being treated as a commodity when they are rare. And those "engineers" (cheap labour given basic rudimentary training then tasked with structural analysis and troubleshoot) are creating the illusion of saturated markets; maybe it is time we start paying HR graduates less?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-12-24, 22:14   Link #25434
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
The CIA pays you that much? No wonder why Ames and Hansen flipped.

Granted, there is something wrong out there. I am a Dip Management and I earn more than my sis, who is a BSBME. Even excluding my 2nd job I earn 18% less, put in my 2nd job (once/twice per week) and I earn 20% more.

Engineers are being treated as a commodity when they are rare. And those "engineers" (cheap labour given basic rudimentary training then tasked with structural analysis and troubleshoot) are creating the illusion of saturated markets; maybe it is time we start paying HR graduates less?
Well, that's roughly what my son who is also a BSEE started with this year after graduating ($55-$65K in 2012 dollars), so the salaries have pretty much stayed the same allowing for inflation.
Old 2012-12-24, 22:32   Link #25435
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Well, that's roughly what my son who is also a BSEE started with this year after graduating ($55-$65K in 2012 dollars), so the salaries have pretty much stayed the same allowing for inflation.
The BSEE here earn between $24k-50k here, depending on whether it is an MNC or a local company in which sector. Marine and Aerospace industries pays the most and HVAC the least (unless it is doing servicing for underground construction or Marine-Aerospace). Utilities are around the middle, but their bonuses are pretty fat.

Salary increases are not going to happen much in the next year since the increases have been below 5% since 2009 if I am not wrong - I don't know where the engineering sector is going, and I am having second doubts about saving up to take an Aerospace Engineering degree in the future, after finishing my Econs degree.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-12-24, 23:43   Link #25436
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Rather then Aerospace (or Aeronautical), you might be better off with Mechanical. The two are very similar, and mechanical engineers have an easy enough time getting work in the sector, while also being able to get work in many other things besides.

As for myself, I'm beginning to think I need to move to the USA for engineering work. But where?
Old 2012-12-25, 01:30   Link #25437
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Rather then Aerospace (or Aeronautical), you might be better off with Mechanical. The two are very similar, and mechanical engineers have an easy enough time getting work in the sector, while also being able to get work in many other things besides.

As for myself, I'm beginning to think I need to move to the USA for engineering work. But where?
look at craiglist or check the website of companies you want to work for.
Old 2012-12-25, 01:35   Link #25438
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:

Hmm...not Kansas! There is nothing there. Actually, Wyoming (most of it) is even worse. Most of it is pretty barren. Short grass, not much vegetation, wide open spaces, shrubs and small trees scattered around is a typical sight.
Old 2012-12-25, 02:12   Link #25439
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Hmm...not Kansas! There is nothing there. Actually, Wyoming (most of it) is even worse. Most of it is pretty barren. Short grass, not much vegetation, wide open spaces, shrubs and small trees scattered around is a typical sight.
From what I can see, the best places seem to be Boston, Houston and the state of Virginia (though where within Virginia I'm not so sure). Outside the major metropolitan areas I'm less sure.
Old 2012-12-25, 02:25   Link #25440
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
From what I can see, the best places seem to be Boston, Houston and the state of Virginia (though where within Virginia I'm not so sure). Outside the major metropolitan areas I'm less sure.
Southern California still has a decent Aerospace industry. A cousin of mine works for Boeing in Penn.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international