AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-10-13, 12:57   Link #1
idont

Maison Ikkoku

Just finished this after watching over the past 3 weeks and it's AWESOME. It took me 30 episodes to really get into it but I'm glad I stuck with it. Best romance anime I've seen so far.

Spoiler for ending:
idont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-13, 14:26   Link #2
SidVicious
Anime addict

MI is a masterpiece.
Old 2009-10-13, 17:21   Link #3
Theowne
耳をすませば

Wow, I'm surprised that there isn't already a thread for this. This is definitely one of the greatest romance anime out there.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-13, 21:36   Link #4
autobachs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwei View Post
Maison Ikkoku, interesting story but the manga gets a little bit dragged on. I loved it however, especially the movies.
lolwut
manga dragged on? Try the anime. That shit is dragged on!
autobachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 08:02   Link #5
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Please remember this is an anime discussion thread about Maison Ikkoku. If you want to discuss or ask for recommendations and suggestions of similar series then please post in the Suggestions forum, not in this thread!
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 14:08   Link #6
fukarming

Quote:
Originally Posted by idont View Post
I've watched Touch already. In the process of getting KOR. I was surprised to learn the that person who wrote this manga (MI) also wrote Ranma 1/2 and Inuyasha though. I tried watching Urusei Yatsura but dropped it after 3 episodes.
MI is more serious work by Takahashi Rumiko while Ranma and Inuyasha are her "goose who lay golden eggs" It is kinda clear at the final 1/4 of bpth Ranma and Inuyasha that Takahashi don't want to continue the story but publisher pressure/ significant money are too hard to resist.
fukarming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 21:57   Link #7
Kirarakim

Whenever people put down Takahashi, I always mention this series. Not only is it one of her best. It's one of the best slice of life/romance series out there.

I think Takahashi gets an unfair rap sometimes because of Inuyasha dragging on for so long and Ranma not having a more conclusive ending (although personally I am fine with how it ended). But she wrote a lot of great stuff even besides Maison Ikkoku (like a lot of great shorter works.) I guess her series are what got me into anime/manga in the first place so maybe I am a bit defensive.
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-15, 06:42   Link #8
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
I loved KOR.

I also loved MI though not quite as much.

Great choices, it's sad that shows today can't compare.
Most shows today depend more on cuteness and fanservice than in a good story. Even the shows that have a good story, sometime it gets ruined for the sake of merchindising. When maison Ikkoku and Kor came out, the purpose of anime was to give us a good story.
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-15, 14:08   Link #9
SidVicious
Anime addict

Well, we could say that Love Hina was inspired a lot by Maison Ikkoku.

A loser guy (Godai and Keitaro) who wants to go to University and live in a building with lots of people (like Akemi, Ichinose and Yotsuya in MI and Kitsune and others in Love Hina) and in the end he gets the girl (Kyoko in MI and Naru in Love Hina).
Old 2009-10-25, 19:57   Link #10
zrdb
I'm Under Arrest!!

Send a message via Yahoo to zrdb
Maison Ikkoku (The House Of One Moment) is #1 on my list of all time best anime series-and the only one of Rumiko Takahashi's series to have a proper ending. The appeal of the series for me was the fact that it is a universail love story that transcends cultureal boundries.
Old 2009-10-29, 08:02   Link #11
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrdb View Post
and the only one of Rumiko Takahashi's series to have a proper ending. .
You are correct as of now, but once Inu-yasha is done, that won't be true.
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-29, 08:14   Link #12
ChainLegacy
廉頗

This has got to be one of the best pieces of fiction to emerge from the anime industry. The characters grow on you and especially the unlucky Godai makes you feel for him. The ability to bring out these real emotions is very rare, especially with anime.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-01, 17:04   Link #13
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

This anime would have probably been my all time favorite anime if it wasn't for the sluggish pace it picks later on ep 60-75. Not being a manga reader I have no idea was this side-effect of manga to anime transition . But would love to see this anime being remade . I enjoyed the Live Action a lot so an anime remake would be good ^__^
Old 2009-11-01, 17:13   Link #14
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
I like Maison Ikkoku just the way it is. Are there flaws? Yes, but that's part of Maison Ikkoku that we love. Just like Kyoko loves Godai- including all the flaws that he has.

There are a few anime that I have seen that are miles above the rest. Starblazers when I was a kid, Maison Ikkoku as a college student, and currently Cross Game and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

All very different anime, but all are very high quality stories and character development.

Maison Ikkoku could very easily claim the top spot, even among those greats.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-01, 18:44   Link #15
Theowne
耳をすませば

Maison Ikkoku is AFAIK one of the towering greats of anime series, particularly in this genre. I do agree with you, Zu Ra, about some problems. I feel it went a bit too long, and this was done through the use of the "misunderstanding", which has it's place in storytelling, but starts to feel manipulative if done too much, and I felt it was done once or twice too much in MI, particularly towards the end.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-01, 19:00   Link #16
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

You should give the Live Action a try .. its still listed on AS . Also it refreshing to see Godai / Kyoko as real people . Also this one is quite short an abridged version of the series if you can call it that : D
Old 2010-07-14, 00:37   Link #17
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Just finished the anime and I quite enjoyed the adaptation, though there were several elements changed from the manga that I felt left it for the worse.

Spoiler:
Old 2011-10-10, 07:22   Link #18
articuzwolf
Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

MI is my favourite anime so far

I kinda hated in the begining and being charmed completely towards end...

A pathetic guy named Godai, stands up towards any hardship to get her ideal love

Classic BGM and Jpop make me love it even more

damn, I want this anime to be remade but also don't want at the same time