Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2014-09-24, 06:47   Link #701
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Thanks for posting that, ACertainStark

It looks more believable since the guy got the info from a patent (wow, SE is patenting the system). So from what I understand, it's basically a context-sensitive commands based on our character positioning? I also never played FF12, so I have no idea about the gambit

If the guy's understanding is true, then it'd be interesting for me. Well, in the end we really have to wait for a hands-on report.
Old 2014-09-24, 14:20   Link #702
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Good god the combat is shaping up to be awful, I'll rather a FFXII/Xenoblade style combat over hold X Button to attack and the computer will decide based on distance what to do or hold this other button to block.
That because it's been rather poorly explained, this new BS actually potential to be much better than those were because this much more involve on a strategic level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACertainStark View Post
On the other hand... you guys should also read this OP: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=900371

Which does a possibly much better job at explaining it!
Yep that, especially with conjunction with this

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...01&postcount=8
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...&postcount=129

Gives me a much clearer understanding on how the battle system may work.

Basically in traditional FF and KH combat systems players used battles menu interfaces and the O/A buttons to control what commands they could use. In FFXV this is replaced and done though positional movement and the deck system.

Preparations

Before the battle start players will assign abilities and whatnot that they want to use on the Deck system (think of it as slots where attacks etcs can be equipped) and have their priority set through what order they were placed in. For example theoretically a simple deck would be something like this;

Deck:
|Sword|-|Gun|-|Spell|

More importantly however is that these 3 actions will have a set range and condition (Noctis' proximity to his target) in which only they can be activated. In this case the Sword will only be used when Noctis is close to the enemy, the Gun when he's a short distance and the Spell when he's far.

So the deck will now look something like this:

Deck:
|Sword (Short)|-|Gun (Mid)|-|Spell (Long)|

Now here is where everything really comes together:

So now when you get into actual battle, you will first pick a target(s) (probably through R1 or L1). Once done whatever Noctis relative position to the target at the moment will determine the kinds of actions you can take. So if you what to get up close strike, simply move Noctis there, hit "O" he will take out his sword and strike. Similar if you want to engage at distance just move him back a bit and hit "O" and he will shoot with gun. Same thing with the spell just further back.

None of these actions are random as you can see, the A.I is only prompting the actions yourself have chosen to set, which is displayed through a kind of invisible menu. It's player decision on whether that current command it's used or not. So it's actual no different then picking abilities from a battle menu yourself, but instead using the D-pad on a menu to pick and chose, you use your movement to do that. Now combine that with unique animations and properties for various abilities and I think you can now see where strategy and combos will come into play.

Like say your fighting a difficult boss with powerful short melee attacks on top of having a specific weakness you can't hit with close weapons like swords or axes.

Deck2:
|Sword (Short)<Axe (Short)|-|Boomerang (Mid)|-|Spell (Long)|

(BTW, "<" means that these two commands are part of string you can do)

However on your deck you have two ranged type commands set in; boomerang and spell. Boomerang is mid-range and the Spell, long. You want to combo these two skills into each other for maximum efficiency. The boomerang's animation has a part where Noctis will step back after he throws it and that will be just far enough to where he can follow up with a spell directly. Which can be done by moving back a bit and pressing and holding the "O/A" button. The boomerang with also have the bonus of striking any other targets in it's immediate trajectory.

So ultimately, with this system you don't actual have any less control your over you characters then you had in the earlier games, it's just a different more evolutionary form of it. You can likely also configure Noctis utilize any kind of play-style you desire, such using two-handed swords only.

More importantly unlike FFXII and Xenoblade, movement here truly matters because it determines everything you can do, which makes for much more inolved game.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2014-09-24 at 17:22. Reason: some clarification
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-24, 14:31   Link #703
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

^Yep yep.

The only "casual" thing about it are the controls seemingly but it caters to both as there's much depth for advanced players as positioning, proximity and weapon/magic/possible summon set ups you have.
ACertainStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-24, 14:37   Link #704
Iron Maw
Banned

Yeah, it's very ingenious, if not fairly innovative. I don't see how core players couldn't get into this system either, as long as the design adheres to the patent. I know why Tabata is so confident now.

Still he could have messaged this a bit better, but he probably can't reveal much due to marketing.
Old 2014-09-24, 15:42   Link #705
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
Yeah, it's very ingenious, if not fairly innovative. I don't see how core players couldn't get into this system either, as long as the design adheres to the patent. I know why Tabata is so confident now.

Still he could have messaged this a bit better, but he probably can't reveal much due to marketing.
I thought Gambits had a lot of potential from XII so it's great to see it expanded on next-gen console.

And agreed. He did stress he can't go into detail and only use basic explanations, but I guess thats what scared people the most. I have to blame SE PR when a patent does a better job...

Outside of combat:
- Camping makes a return
- Seamless world, but it is an FF and story is essential + Objectives
- Cities have inns, Dungeons return
- Magic is effected by weather
Old 2014-09-24, 21:40   Link #706
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post

Honestly, he should probably just hire you to do the explaining for him. Goes from seeming like a god awful battle system to a pretty good one depending on how well it is explained .

How much he can reveal may be part of it, but honestly I just think he did a horrible job explaining the positives of the system.

It's not a battle system I'm that familiar with since I couldn't stand FF12 as a whole, but it doesn't sound like a bad idea. Seems like you'll get the positives of customizing and just having to fight in a tactical manner.
Old 2014-09-24, 21:46   Link #707
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Off topic a bit. So they're banking on the mobile game to make FFVII remake? really?
http://www.orendsrange.com/2014/09/f...epends-on.html

I'm not sure if FFXV is the one that will make me buy a PS4, but in any case actual hands on first with gamers is best.
Old 2014-09-24, 22:26   Link #708
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Honestly, he should probably just hire you to do the explaining for him. Goes from seeming like a god awful battle system to a pretty good one depending on how well it is explained .

How much he can reveal may be part of it, but honestly I just think he did a horrible job explaining the positives of the system.

It's not a battle system I'm that familiar with since I couldn't stand FF12 as a whole, but it doesn't sound like a bad idea. Seems like you'll get the positives of customizing and just having to fight in a tactical manner.
Some more things updated and pointed out regarding it:
1. Targetting enemies is automatic by default (based on priotized gambits). For example, If your higher priority gambit is using Spell A against a foe within 3m of you, and you press the Attack button exactly when there's a foe within that range, the game will automatically target that foe.
2. Pressing R and L buttons allows you to manually target and priotize targets, where the game will then pick the highest priority gambit you have that can be used for that target.
3. This system applies both to allied characters controlled by the AI, and the player character with manual input. So you can have allied characters only do certain characters if the player character is near them.
4. This system can be customised before and during the battle, through a menu.
5. New positional conditions can be obtained through the game.
6. New attack methods can be obtained through the game, whenever the player equips new items, learns new skills, etc.
7. The number of attack method/ gambit rows can be expanded/ obtained through the game.
8. While setting up positional conditions, the system will automatically filter the number of actions to those that only make sense. For example, it'll be impossible to set up a close-ranged attack that triggers if you are far from the enemy.
9. There's the possibility to switch to a more manual input mode, where attacks can be attached to several buttons.

Most important being that last note.
Old 2014-09-25, 18:59   Link #709
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

^^
Sounds pretty good to me. Will be interesting getting used to the pre-battle setup in that kind of game. A system that could work out pretty well if they get everything down right.

Wouldn't be bad if they can get that more manual input setup working well. At least give people options in how they want to tackle things.
Old 2014-09-27, 01:19   Link #710
Vitne Eveille

Pretty excited about it. I hope it brings me actively back to the series

-my official website & blog-
-download my new EP (free)- ♫♫
Vitne Eveille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-02, 09:29   Link #711
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

Square Enix showed off FFXV in tonights Talk Show and Tabata addressed fan concerns. Q&A here:
http://gematsu.com/2014/10/final-fan...s-new-gameplay

Gameplay here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md7GhVH3vUg

Must read & watch.
Old 2014-10-02, 09:38   Link #712
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

I'm totally with the question that says they've done a poor job getting information out to this point. Posters here and a patent has given me more hope for this game being a FF game I can get back into than the director for this game .
Old 2014-10-02, 10:06   Link #713
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
I'm totally with the question that says they've done a poor job getting information out to this point. Posters here and a patent has given me more hope for this game being a FF game I can get back into than the director for this game .
Well rejoice! He did a a lot better during the presentation this time around.

Full transcript here:
http://gematsu.com/2014/10/final-fan...s-new-gameplay

Basically all of the most pressing quetuions were answered and clarified today.
Old 2014-10-02, 10:11   Link #714
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

Yeah.

They will also be showing off the game again in November just before its Jump Festa debut. Going by Tabata's iPad... World & Car?
Old 2014-10-02, 11:04   Link #715
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

Old 2014-10-02, 19:43   Link #716
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KleenexGhost View Post
Eh, too close! looks weird with them so close to the guys. XD
Old 2014-10-02, 19:56   Link #717
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

I give Tabata credit. He knows about the meme and is even encouraging people to have fun with it.
Old 2014-10-02, 20:52   Link #718
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KleenexGhost View Post
I give Tabata credit. He knows about the meme and is even encouraging people to have fun with it.
Yea XD That's pretty awesome, wish more developers and such would be that cool about jokes about their games.
Old 2014-10-03, 01:16   Link #719
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Ugh, you can only ever control Noctis? Probably the worst thing they can say to drive my expectations of the series way down. :'(

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-03, 01:36   Link #720
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Ugh, you can only ever control Noctis? Probably the worst thing they can say to drive my expectations of the series way down. :'(
It was a conscious decision. I'm 100% sure he wanted it in, but there has to be some sort of compromise. It's disappointing, but it is what it is. They've built it around Noctis and having expanded gambits to control/dictate your party.