AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-06-06, 07:30   Link #1
mushrooms

Suggestions for dubbed anime

Would this be unorthodox to ask since most anime fans are against dubbed anime? :P

I'm looking for suggestion for a good anime that is dubbed in English of course. Something that is "mature" with graphic violence and adult themes (I'm not asking for hentai). Think animes like Berserk and Claymore. I love fantasy, but it doesn't necessarily have to be fantasy.

Thanks for any suggestions. And yes, I understand that sharing of licensed anime is not allowed here. I am just looking for suggestions, licensed or not.
Old 2007-06-06, 07:39   Link #2
glyph

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushrooms View Post
Would this be unorthodox to ask since most anime fans are against dubbed anime? :P

I'm looking for suggestion for a good anime that is dubbed in English of course. Something that is "mature" with graphic violence and adult themes (I'm not asking for hentai). Think animes like Berserk and Claymore. I love fantasy, but it doesn't necessarily have to be fantasy.

Thanks for any suggestions. And yes, I understand that sharing of licensed anime is not allowed here. I am just looking for suggestions, licensed or not.
Cowboy Bebop is the only exception I can think of. The dub is much better than the original Japanese track.
Old 2007-06-06, 08:07   Link #3
Asai
Nya? ^_^
*Fansubber

I don't listen to dubs, but I vaguely recall a friend saying Hellsing's dub wasn't too bad. And it's bloody and mature. I won't voice my personal opinions on the original TV series, or dubs in general, though... ^^;
Old 2007-06-06, 10:45   Link #4
mdauben

Quote:
Not at all. I myself prefer dubs, unless they are really bad (which despite what a lot of sub-fanatics say isn't that often these days).

Quote:
Something that is "mature" with graphic violence and adult themes (I'm not asking for hentai).
Some that occure to me right away are Elfen Lied (13 episode series), Basilisk (24 episdoe series) and Ninja Scroll (movie). They all combine graphic violence with good, solid stories that are available with english dub tracks on DVD.
Old 2007-06-06, 15:39   Link #5
xlxsinxlx

I'm just wondering but why dub? just wondering.
Old 2007-06-06, 15:53   Link #6
Robotnik
Not a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlxsinxlx View Post
Why not? Some of them are actually pretty good. But let's not get everyone into another sub vs dub debate and leave it at that, OK?

Quote:
Something that is "mature" with graphic violence and adult themes (I'm not asking for hentai). Think animes like Berserk and Claymore. I love fantasy, but it doesn't necessarily have to be fantasy.
Haven't seen much that fits your criteria, but Ergo Proxy, Basilisk and Vampire Hunter D might qualify.
Old 2007-06-06, 17:43   Link #7
sothis

honestly, ADV puts out REALLY high quality dubs recently. i review a lot of their titles, and with the exception of a few terrible ones (usually involving kira vincent davis), i often PREFER to watch the dub over the subs with their stuff. yes, i know, i'm blasphemous; but seriously, a lot are that good. though i was super anti dub for a long time, i found that in some cases, having some additional liberties is a good thing. with most of adv's newer stuff, they throw in various characters with accents who help make things better (the characters in air gear are the best example of the accent thing, recently), lots of slang, etc.

my favorite dub by far is Papuwa, but it's not the type of anime you are looking for. Le Chevalier D'Eon is pretty good dub, and it's on the darkish/more mature side.

Karas has a really good dub too, though it was put out by Manga (the first episodes in "movie" form, with another "movie" to contain the last ova episodes later). it's cheap to buy, too (deepdiscountdvd.com is having their 20% off their already lowest prices sale right now, fyi... check dvdpricesearch.com for the coupon code, i forget what it is)

so yeah. in general, newer adv tends to USUALLY be much better quality, imo, than the other studios... but you should probably read reviews to make sure.
Old 2007-06-07, 17:14   Link #8
mushrooms

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlxsinxlx View Post
Because I find it difficult to pay attention to the animation and read the subs at the same time.

THANKS a lot guys. I really appreciate the suggestions and will check them out sooner or later.
Old 2007-06-07, 17:46   Link #9
sothis

Quote:
Because I find it difficult to pay attention to the animation and read the subs at the same time.
this is one of the main reasons that if i have a dvd and the dub doesn't suck, i often watch the dub now. why? because i am always, always coding my site... and i can't watch subtitles at the same time. i can watch a lot of it, but if you miss a few lines of subtitled text it really can remove a lot of the understanding. thus, a good dub ftw (especially if it's full of creative slang and things that make the show funnier -- re: saiyuki, papuwa, etc)!
Old 2007-06-07, 18:12   Link #10
UPR

even though it does not what your looking for Full Metal Panic is the only series with 3 seasons and possibly 4 that i like dubbed
Old 2007-06-07, 18:19   Link #11
hideFan

I Always listen to the dub first... Just an old habit that will probably never die. Everything by Geneon I've seen has had an excellent cast.

If you want mature, but not overly violent Id say Melody of Oblivion . Its rather perverted at times and has a good story to back it up... Another violent anime I liked was Lunar Legend Tsukihime. Its a vampire show... The action is great but the story is bland. The Dub for When They Cry: Higurashi/Higurashi no Naku Koroni is splendid and it has alot of blood and murder if you can get passed the first episode.

Thats about all the violence I really watch. ._.
Old 2007-06-07, 18:52   Link #12
Fruitfly

I thought Gun X Sword had good dubs and the series was pretty good.
Old 2007-06-14, 21:44   Link #13
Tybbe
Baka

Hehe yeah it was the same for me with the sub/dub question before.
Always looked at the sub's more then on the anime :P
Anyway now after wards these 500-1000 anime series/movies it's a whole different story.
Often it end's that i'm looking on a whole serie in raw.
Becuse of the lack of subbed/dubbed serie's. :P
But then again when you almost understand each word said i guess it's not a prob, except some slang words. grrr... hehe any way my point was the good thing with subbs is, some time later you will lern more then you think, about japanese trust me :P
And perhaps you earn your way to the raw section.
trust me it's alot of good serie's that haven't got a sub or dub :P

But then again iam some what of an addict :P

Last edited by Tybbe; 2007-06-14 at 21:54.
Closed Thread