AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-02-13, 17:57   Link #21
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Well... the quality of the english dub is irrelevant to me if the original audio track is available with subtitles. But it would be a shame to mess up such entertaining material.
Old 2010-02-13, 20:45   Link #22
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Well... the quality of the english dub is irrelevant to me if the original audio track is available with subtitles. But it would be a shame to mess up such entertaining material.
Understandable, but it's just my personal opinion that it's not worth buying something that's lower quality than fansubs. That's why I require dubs or an extremely amazing limited edition thing (figure, plushie, etc) to make it worth buying.

However, someone apparently e-mailed them and Customer Service said that the current plan is sub only... but then again how much can we trust their customer service?
Old 2010-02-14, 05:07   Link #23
Armored Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyElizzabeth View Post
Toradora's getting a dub? Yay!
If they ruin Taiga or Minori's voice I will be angry.
Have you ever played Disgaea? Disgaea games have excellent voice acting in my opinion.

Now I remember, the English voice acting of Disgaea is much better than the original IMO. Will NISA do a good job? I wonder. Anyway, we still don't know if they will dub Toradora! or not.
Old 2010-02-14, 17:15   Link #24
hinakatbklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armored Knight View Post

Have you ever played Disgaea? Disgaea games have excellent voice acting in my opinion.

Now I remember, the English voice acting of Disgaea is much better than the original IMO. Will NISA do a good job? I wonder. Anyway, we still don't know if they will dub Toradora! or not.
The sooner a series gets released, the lesser the chances of a dub. I doubt this is possible, but the only way for a series to get released that quickly and still get a dub, they would have to either license the series months ago, get in a dub and then announce the license, or set up a dub before getting the license (the latter one, I don't think a company can touch a series without getting the license up front.

One things for sure, if NIS / Atlus can do well with anime games, they should be able to do the same with animes.
Old 2010-02-14, 17:46   Link #25
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinakatbklyn View Post
The sooner a series gets released, the lesser the chances of a dub. I doubt this is possible, but the only way for a series to get released that quickly and still get a dub, they would have to either license the series months ago, get in a dub and then announce the license, or set up a dub before getting the license (the latter one, I don't think a company can touch a series without getting the license up front.
Well, according to the link in this post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post
Supposedly, they could have had those licenses for quite some than we are to believe so who knows how much production work they have been doing.
They've apparently been sitting on the license for a while, so the chance for a dub exists(/existed).
Old 2010-02-17, 14:45   Link #26
rg4619

How many companies still produce dubs on a regular basis? There's Funimation (and Viz, but they're avoiding niche titles from here on out. Bandai is struggling, and they've already begun releasing sub-only sets), but most distributors have already shifted to a sub-only model for most releases.
Old 2010-02-17, 20:51   Link #27
GDB

I didn't know Viz did sub-only shows. Thought they dubbed everything they got.

Either way, Media Blasters dubs a number of their shows. Not sure what the percentage is, but I'm sure it's at least more than half.

Anyway, apparently ANN is going to interview them this week and specifically ask about dubs.
Old 2010-02-17, 23:56   Link #28
rg4619

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
I didn't know Viz did sub-only shows. Thought they dubbed everything they got.
They dub everything. What I mean is that while Viz previously experimented a bit with niche shows (with the hope of making them very popular), they no longer intend to venture out of their comfort zone given existing market conditions.

Tough sells like Honey and Clover are things of the past since they don't deliberately cater to niche audiences.
Old 2010-02-18, 23:25   Link #29
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Listen to this week's ANNCast if you want to listen what the peeps of Nis America has to say:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2010-02-18
Old 2010-02-19, 00:56   Link #30
GDB

$60 per half season for sub only? Well, guess NIS is another company I won't be buying from.
Old 2010-02-19, 01:21   Link #31
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Hmmm, that almost sounds like they're leaving it in a two ep / disk format (?).
Old 2010-02-19, 01:47   Link #32
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Ugh, sub only... well, there goes my enthusiasm. Sub only releases are never good... the translation is always awful.

You'd think it'd be the opposite, but...
Old 2010-02-20, 00:14   Link #33
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The upside is DVD quality of video... the downside is the crappy DVD standards for subtitles as well as the often abysmal translations.

Sometimes I'll buy the DVDs and then seek out DVD fansub rips... sad but true.
Old 2010-02-20, 20:16   Link #34
Kyanme
suzuya_luvrx666

Send a message via AIM to Kyanme Send a message via MSN to Kyanme
We haven't seen NIS A's DVDs yet-- nor their translations. (Well, for anime, that is.) Why not wait until a copy's in your hands to be a Negative Ned?

tumblr | i don't have any other links to post here, whoops
Old 2010-02-25, 07:35   Link #35
CaptGloval
New Macross soon

I sure hope they do better than the botched broadcast run in the Philippines. I think the dub was good enough but non-delivery of source material (or so they say) left local fans with eight unaired episodes. DVD release is most unlikely.
Old 2010-04-01, 10:34   Link #36
Kentleton

Send a message via AIM to Kentleton Send a message via MSN to Kentleton
Im definitely gonna get this. I <3 Toradora!
Old 2010-04-05, 17:33   Link #37
Edsabre
Slightly Melodramatic

I kinda want to support them simply for bringing more anime to our shores. But honestly, why should I pay for probably sub-par subs and only half a season at a time? I'm usually not too stingy with my money, but it really just seems like a waste.
Old 2010-04-23, 02:48   Link #38
Neki Ecko
Dancing with the Sky

Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edsabre View Post
I kinda want to support them simply for bringing more anime to our shores. But honestly, why should I pay for probably sub-par subs and only half a season at a time? I'm usually not too stingy with my money, but it really just seems like a waste.
It is a very sad but true. I understand that you want to bring that product out to the states but paying that much money for surpar sub-only, we aint that rich, plus you can get same type from Youtube or any other place like that. That is just too way too crazy.

Even if I do adore Toradora!, paying $60 for half of season, that is way too much. Heck in fact, you can get a full 26-eps dub series from Itunes for 1/2 that price. I am so disappointed about it, oh well. I would like to hear it Dub, maybe one day (I am just praying that Index/Railgun is dub, if not sub)
Old 2010-05-22, 02:22   Link #39
Kyanme
suzuya_luvrx666

Send a message via AIM to Kyanme Send a message via MSN to Kyanme
Man, I'd hate to see what you guys would have to say about paying nearly sixty bucks in yen for a single DVD.

And again, we've not seen their subtitles. Don't knock it 'till you try it. You never know, they might end up being surprisingly good.

In any case, the LE DVDs are apparently out soon, which means press is getting boxsets. Zac Bertschy over at ANN was kind enough to take some pictures of the boxing for us.

In my opinion, it's well beyond what I expected. Apparently comes with an episode guide. Rosenqueen gives you a poster when you buy it from them.

tumblr | i don't have any other links to post here, whoops
Old 2010-05-22, 02:44   Link #40
Roloko vi Britannia
The Dark Empress

I don't mind buying it and hey its cheaper if you buy if at places like rightstuf.com they sell it for $47 just be thankful that we are actually paying less than what the Japanese pay for theirs. Their DVDs are like what $40~$50 per volume with only 2 episodes on it?? Well as for me I'm going to start saving up and get paypal so I can go grab me a copy from rightstuf's website. I'm kinda hoping in the future NIS will become another dubbing company like Funimation and whatnot

Closed Thread