AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Air

Notices

View Poll Results: Air Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 56 39.72%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 42 29.79%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 24 17.02%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 7.09%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 3.55%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.42%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.71%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.71%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-12-07, 23:12   Link #41
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Very nice review of the series Archon Wing. Air has always been one of my favorite anime. It captures emotion like few shows do. I agree that some of the early stories and characters are not that strong or relevant, but they had their own charm that I didn't mind at all. Kanna's story was actually my favorite plot point of the series (She is actually my favorite character in the series), and for me, it gave the whole show even more emotion and depth. However like you said it didn't fit into things too smoothly. The story seemed a bit messy and all over the place the first time through for me, but after watching it once I can deal with it and don't mind it at all anymore when I rewatch it.

In ways I think for the plot the Air movie had better structure in the sense that they just focused on the big story of Misuzu, Yukito, and Kanna and not any of the other characters. I still however like the series better, because the delivery is much more well executed.

What else to say besides that the music is fantastic.

Never did give this show a score so might as well now.

8/10
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-15, 17:58   Link #42
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
I actually never got around to the Air special OVAs; might as well get around to that.

The Air movie is probably the best Key adaptation Toei ever did; I'd say it's the only one that comes close to being on par with its KyoAni counterparts. I think I actually liked the older look for Misuzu better in that.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-16, 12:41   Link #43
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
I actually never got around to the Air special OVAs; might as well get around to that.

The Air movie is probably the best Key adaptation Toei ever did; I'd say it's the only one that comes close to being on par with its KyoAni counterparts. I think I actually liked the older look for Misuzu better in that.
Same here, I tended to like the character designs in general from the movie a tad more than the Key ones.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-27, 16:06   Link #44
miomio

Animation Quality: 10
Voice Actors: 10
Script: 10
Adaptation from Game: 9
Editing: 9
Emotional Involvement: 10

Average = 10
miomio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-18, 17:16   Link #45
Yaku-Pai
フリテン

It was a great series, but I didn't really enjoy the ending. However, it was logical and well-done and just because my psyche couldn't handle the ending doesn't mean it was a bad one.

Oh yes, I cried. A lot. Somehow it still felt that it was so, uh, how should I put it, forced to be sad that some of the emotion got torn apart. There was a lot of potential, to tell the truth, I was expecting more. Definitely the worst from Key's three epic visual novels, but also definitely one hell of an experience.

I still can't believe that Misuzu is dead, though. ):

8/10
Yaku-Pai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-27, 15:36   Link #46
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

I tried watching the last part again lately; maybe I shouldn't, very nostalgic, but it instantly depressed me.

But yea, I can see what you mean by it being a bit forced.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2010-08-10, 18:51   Link #47
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Let's see since I finally got around to the first Key/KyoAni series this week I figured I'll post on it.

Animation Quality: 9 despite being an early work of KyoAni the animation is still amazing in this series, very comparable to their other works which have all been excellent in animation.
Voice Actors: 9, I felt all the VAs did well especially Haruko, Kanna, Minagi, and Misuzu they were very emotionally well done.
Script/Storyline: 8 Overall the main storyline was amazing I am really surprised they managed to create such a complex, unique, and deep storyline from an H-type game I mean I honestly have trouble believing that it came from a game. Though flow of the Series still seemed a bit off with how the other two girls arcs were included and done. Also easily one of the best bittersweet endings for a series that I've seen to date.
Music: 10, seriously Key is just amazing at making good BGMs and OP songs for anime or something , and also I'd say it had a better ED theme than all but Angel Beats plus it didn't bring anything jarring with an upbeat ED like Kanon and Clannad AS did.
Emotional Involvement: 7
Spoiler for Breakdown of this Score:

Average = 43/50, so 8.6 I rounded down to 8 here, and up to 9 on MAL .

So while it was the key series I've liked the least, I still loved it as it's within my top 20 for sure.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-11, 03:26   Link #48
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Glad that another person enjoyed the series.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2010-10-20, 07:10   Link #49
asa.hoshi

Air

Just finished watching,

I really am disappointed, although maybe I shouldn't be because after getting 1/4 of the way through I had a feeling this anime was boring or "dry" and I turned out to be somewhat right, not 100%.

The reason is, I think I did a mistake of watching
  1. Clannad
  2. Kanon
  3. Air

In THAT order. I think if I had started from Air-->Kanon-->Clannad it would have been much better and I wouldn't be so negative.

Clannad in my opinion is the best of Key's work and the most recent of the 3 animes I listed (and so best quality and drawing!) and the most emotional.

Clannad (because it was 2 series of 24 eps each approximately) the storyline was able to be built much more and the characters developed so wonderfully.

In Air, I never even noticed the "Arcs" for the characters very much. They all seem insignificant to the main storyline (please note, I haven't watched the Specials and movie yet, so maybe my opinion changes later).

The animation in Air was of average quality (defintely not bad, but worse than Clannad).

The opening theme song by Lia was so pure.

But look, I think they did a great job considering it was a "small" number of episodes. There is so many hidden messages and links! I liked how in the last episode the boy+girl on the beace are the boy+girl who appear on the logo for Air in the opening theme song!

Edit: after having read a website which provides an in depth summary/explanation of the anime it makes a lot more sense now so my opinion has improved somewhat. But still not a ground breaking anime (sorry!)

Last edited by asa.hoshi; 2010-10-20 at 19:32.
asa.hoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-15, 16:21   Link #50
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
REVIEW TIME

Warning to readers: I don’t like Bishoujo and everything that accompanies them. This review makes generalizations that are negative towards those who like them. I know I shouldn’t be making them, but I have issues with some genres. Please consider them more comical rather than serious (especially while voting!).

PROLOGUE
Based on a very famous date sim game, Air is a mix of romance, drama, and magic, all cramped up in only 13 episodes. Well… 11 if you exclude the 2 recaps.

ART & SOUND SECTION: 8/10 [Puke-invokingly good]
Although I dislike utter cuteness and high-pinched voicing, I can’t lie at the fact that animation and sound were above average. If you like Bishoujo, this is as good as it gets. I’m sure that all of you who prefer Shonen and Seinen series (like me) would rate this department much less, just because of personal tastes. I would to; but I am obligated to make an objective review and admit that I HATE IT but it has AWESOME graphics and sound. They are detailed and of high quality and that won’t change no matter how much I bitch about it. Every aspect of it was made with care and love for this genre.

Art wasn’t a 10 because the girls:
a) had really thin limbs.
b) had faces that made them look like 10 year olds.
c) had same body types. Without the different cloths and hair color, they will look the same.

Sound wasn’t a 10 because I have heard better J-pop songs and squeaky voices than the ones found here.

STORY SECTION: 3/10 [People who disappear in thin air.]
Here is a big minus. Most episodes are stand alones. The story is about the leading male dealing with a personal issue of a different girl on each episode. Then the girl mysteriously disappears from the story after its issue has been dealt with. Meaning, you get no time to bind with most of the girls in the series.

Isn’t it great (and obviously fake) how girls seem incapable of deciding on their own and need the advice of a guy? And the strange girl with the wings in the end only gives a metaphysical side to a series that was supposed to be just about the every day lives and relationships of normal people.

I hear the story was a lot better in the game and that the adaptation removed many parts just to fit everything in 13 (or 11) episodes. Too bad for them; the story sucks big time because of that.

CHARACTER SECTION: 5/10 [Hey, I like her… Oh no, the episode’s over!]
Ok, dreamy-looking girls swarming a typical male is hardly realistic. But even if we leave this aside, most of them have only one episode of screen-time, making any character development really rushed, unreal and thus easily forgettable.

The several family and friendship relationships were nice to look at but without any REAL problem in their lives (a villain, a catastrophic event, a dark side in their personality), everything was really boring to stand for long. I know slice-of-life series don’t have rivals or villains but the lack of a common problem shared by all characters made me feel that the series was 8 short stories instead of one long and unified story.

VALUE SECTION: 7/10 [Not my cup of tea but…]
Again, I can’t lie that it’s a very well made Bishoujo series. I would personally never see it again in my life but those of you who like this genre, you will get plenty of kicks out of it. The plot was slow at first, confusing when that flashback occurred and the ending was silly; but if you like Bishoujo, reasoning is not an issue.

ENJOYMENT SECTION: 2/10
This part has to do ONLY with my personal tastes, so don’t take it personal. I speak about superficial Bishoujo in general (there are exceptions) and don’t really mention how much I liked Air (which I consider superficial).

I HATE DATE SIMS, BISHOUJO AND EVERYTHING THAT PRESENTS THINGS AS IF WE STILL LIVE IN HEAVEN. This whole deal with perfect girls hanging from your (male) aid is simply impossible to swallow. Yes, I know date sims, eroge and visual novels are made to give males the illusion that girls dig them, at least in digital form. I believe those who play/like them are mostly bookworms and shy virgins who haven’t even kissed a girl. This sort of games and series only make things worse. They don’t teach you what girls really want from a man (nothing does, actually) and they simply make you overconfident without actually improving you at something. It’s like a drug in a way; made to trap you into a bubble of false security. Reality sucks, but so does becoming a gynophobic without noticing. Yes, I bitch a lot and I’ll probably get plenty of low votes for that. But I personally watch anime that “teach” you about people and don’t make you escape reality.

VERDICT: 5.5 / 10
The accused is found … GUILTY! … For selling us a pretty box with nothing inside.

SUGGESTION LIST
Kanon and Clannad. (good) Made by the same production team and with an almost identical look.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-27, 02:39   Link #51
CrimsonSunshine
We live to make tomorrow

I rated it a 7. Though, to be honest, I usually either love or hate a series, so it was hard to decide what to rate Air. But, after thinking it through, I realized it was the Misuzu/Haruko arc that saved me from hating the anime adaption altogether. (I say this because, the visual novel is likely much better)

"It was good, but, nothing more." Is what I want to say, because, it is true, but Misuzu's final scene...it makes me feel guilty for saying such a thing. That moment was touching!

To summarize, the few aspects of this anime that I enjoyed, are such great aspects that I can't help but forgive the producers for the lack of plot development.

Last edited by CrimsonSunshine; 2011-03-27 at 02:40. Reason: Typo
CrimsonSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-26, 04:43   Link #52
YuriEcchiGirl

I give Air a very respectable 9 out of 10 rating as a series in general as I thoroughly enjoyed watching every episode of it, it made me cry so much at the end & I only wish that there could be the potential for a possible second season at some point as I'd really like that very much
Old 2011-08-31, 23:40   Link #53
speedyexpress48
Boo, you whore

Send a message via AIM to speedyexpress48 Send a message via MSN to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Yahoo to speedyexpress48
8/10...good series, but felt rushed and poorly-paced. That aside, the rest of the anime is EPIC.
speedyexpress48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-03, 13:52   Link #54
mystogan
The Lost Lamb

the anime so nice, it was dramatic and emotional, but the fantasy part of it was confusing ,but the last arc of the anime was the best part of it
Old 2013-01-09, 10:58   Link #55
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I finally got around to watching this after so many years. That... was really depressing. I am emotionally drained.

Having watched Kanon and Clannad before Air actually made Air's ending much more impactful for me. Why? Because I fully expected Misuzu's life to be saved through some miracle. I kept waiting for it to happen, but it never did. As a result, I didn't brace myself for the ending and it hit me like a ton of bricks. It's tragic that Misuzu couldn't escape her fate. The best she could do was gain a little happiness toward the end, which I suppose is better than nothing. Haruko and Misuzu's relationship is one of the best mother/daughter relationship I've seen in anime. Such a shame their time together was so short.

Misuzu's arc was the main meat of the series and was excellent. Sadly, the same can't be said for the other two arcs. Minagi's arc was decent and a pretty typical Key fare. Good but nothing special. Kano's arc, on the other hand, was a badly paced mess. It felt like a lot was missing and that they could have used more episodes to work with. The arc was over before I even brought myself to care. It was so underwhelming I first questioned whether it was really it or not.

In the end, my feelings toward the series as a whole are pretty mixed, but I'll rate it 8 for Misuzu's arc alone (I initially felt like rating it 9 but I can't completely disregard the rest). It was that good.
Old 2013-01-10, 07:13   Link #56
Mokoko
Young Aspergus Eater

Air is really a great anime. When I watched it, I felt very depressing. For maybe, the 3 last episodes, I was always crying ! The end was also really shocking for me, who thought like you, Kanon, that Misuzu would escape her fate like always... But, she didn't.

Like you, I thought her act was really great but the 2 others arcs was not really good. At the end of them, I didn't understand quite what happens with them. Particularly, the little girl with the dog, who stays in the city after her arc, but we don't know what happen to her. I was really disappointed.

But after all, Air was for long time, my 2nd place in my top 10 anime.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Mokoko is offline   Reply With Quote