AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 09
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 113 61.08%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 44 23.78%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 13 7.03%
7 out of 10 : Good... 7 3.78%
6 out of 10 : Average... 4 2.16%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 1 0.54%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 1 0.54%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 2 1.08%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-09-06, 04:27   Link #601
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbage View Post
hmmm maybe he hasn't really played any MMORPG at all, hence all his problems with the anime. which is understandable. unfortunately it seems the author made pains to be true and detailed to the real world MMORPG, since he himself is a gamer.

i cant really comment on the show from the point of view of a non gamer because i see it as a gamer myself. quite an addict gamer even... (dont tell my mom )
In most RPGs the higher level you are the more difficult it becomes to level up. I don't see a problem.
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-06, 05:44   Link #602
Awrya
U mad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_alfa View Post
In most RPGs the higher level you are the more difficult it becomes to level up. I don't see a problem.
Agreed, in WoW the EXP needed from 84-85 is double the EXP from 83 to 84, so it makes sense that each level takes longer. From what we know so far, no one has reached max level yet, and given how long it took Kirito to his current level, Kayaba might have planned ~3-4 years until the first player hits max level (taking into account that players are in the game 24/7).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adigard View Post
Hmm... Kirito wins and he's overpowered... Kirito loses and the author is horribad.

Tough choices there.
This gets 10/10
Old 2012-09-06, 05:47   Link #603
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adigard View Post
Hmm... Kirito wins and he's overpowered... Kirito loses and the author is horribad.

Tough choices there.
Best summation of all the arguments around here. xD

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-06, 07:55   Link #604
garbage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_alfa View Post
exactly , that is why i made that reply because shimapan is making all those comments ...
garbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-06, 08:11   Link #605
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netto Azure View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adigard

Tough choices there.
Best summation of all the arguments around here. xD
No it's not. Certainly not ALL. Not saying I disagree with what Adigard said, but sweeping generalization remark against arguments like this is also one of the reasons people keep poking at the fanbase or refuse to interact with.

Also, might as well get this out while I have the chance.
Spoiler for length and oot, addressed to all fellow users, not anyone personally:
Old 2012-09-06, 08:43   Link #606
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
I believe there is too much potential within SAO to only make wank and/or bash threads about it.
I agree with this wholeheartedly. I just made that sweeping generalization because I too have grown tired of the trench-wars, although on the other side of the debate. I've grown tired of the negativity that the show has received. (Sadly it seems I like torturing myself reading reviews from various sites) I understand that it has faults and accept the constructive criticism that you guys argue. But in the end I am looking for more than just "Oh this is wrong, that's just overused, cliche, garbage, etc." and instead am waiting for stuff that you would rather have seen.

For example my friend mentioned to me how the writing for the Gleam Eyes battle could have been better if Asuna and Klein helped much more, or the anime did what was portrayed in the opening, with both Asuna and Kirito helping each other beat Gleam Eyes. Now that's the kind of discussion I am looking for.

Because I too lament that the potential isn't used to it's fullest (Which I hope gets addressed in Progressive) but in the end it is an adaptation. (To which I should say the studio is doing quite well)

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-06, 09:37   Link #607
Karakuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netto Azure View Post
I agree with this wholeheartedly. I just made that sweeping generalization because I too have grown tired of the trench-wars, although on the other side of the debate. I've grown tired of the negativity that the show has received. (Sadly it seems I like torturing myself reading reviews from various sites) I understand that it has faults and accept the constructive criticism that you guys argue. But in the end I am looking for more than just "Oh this is wrong, that's just overused, cliche, garbage, etc." and instead am waiting for stuff that you would rather have seen.

For example my friend mentioned to me how the writing for the Gleam Eyes battle could have been better if Asuna and Klein helped much more, or the anime did what was portrayed in the opening, with both Asuna and Kirito helping each other beat Gleam Eyes. Now that's the kind of discussion I am looking for.

Because I too lament that the potential isn't used to it's fullest (Which I hope gets addressed in Progressive) but in the end it is an adaptation. (To which I should say the studio is doing quite well)
In the Light Novel, this scene was just like this ( IIRC ), why would they change one of the most important scenes ?
The author normally says if it can or can not be changed from the book into the anime, so obviously he would let it stay the same way...
I think it was exactly the same scene in both Anime and LN...I can be wrong though.
The openings are just so people can enjoy, but they don't need to have the scenes from the Anime episodes, probably that's why they created that fight in the opening, so people could enjoy a bit of a different fight. Or maybe it is a Boss in another floor, we don't know if they may put it with the same appearence, but stronger...
But you are right about the constructive comments and all that. Now that I read some of my comments I... *facepalm*. Lol.
Karakuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-06, 10:08   Link #608
EnOfEridu
a.k.a Enki

The difference between this fight and the OP clearly is an artistic license. I mean, the OP has to be broader in scope, so we can see the fact that Kirito and Asuna will keep working together for the same goal. Or maybe the boss will respawn and they will have to take it down again? ( I don't remember in the game mechanics thread if bosses respawn or are limited to a one time thing).

What i want to know if, what did that boss drop? I mean, after all that effort, you only get Congratulations? Come ON!
EnOfEridu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-06, 10:10   Link #609
Karakuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnOfEridu View Post
The difference between this fight and the OP clearly is an artistic license. I mean, the OP has to be broader in scope, so we can see the fact that Kirito and Asuna will keep working together for the same goal. Or maybe the boss will respawn and they will have to take it down again? ( I don't remember in the game mechanics thread if bosses respawn or are limited to a one time thing).

What i want to know if, what did that boss drop? I mean, after all that effort, you only get Congratulations? Come ON!
It might have been a drop which would cost quite a bit, but not something Kirito needs...

Last edited by Karakuri; 2012-09-06 at 11:00.
Old 2012-09-06, 10:15   Link #610
EnOfEridu
a.k.a Enki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karakuri View Post
It might have been a drop which would costs quite a lite, but not something Kirito needs...
Maybe. Kirito is not only an awesome player, he seems to be quite rich and savvy.

Or maybe it was a ring...
Old 2012-09-06, 10:59   Link #611
Xaturas

It was explained previously in this thread.
It dropped some items which Kirito sold to Egil to share the Col with Asuna and maybe someone else.
Basically shitty drop without things like first boss epic cape, which is sad because imo last hit rewards should be something really special. There is only floor 100 bosses in this game you would expect that each and every gives some unique item that every player would wish to have, that is if they got last hit reward.
Old 2012-09-06, 11:03   Link #612
Karakuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaturas View Post
It was explained previously in this thread.
It dropped some items which Kirito sold to Egil to share the Col with Asuna and maybe someone else.
Basically shitty drop without things like first boss epic cape, which is sad because imo last hit rewards should be something really special. There is only floor 100 bosses in this game you would expect that each and every gives some unique item that every player would wish to have, that is if they got last hit reward.
We know he sold those items to Egil, what was said was: What were those items? rings, helmets, swords, armors ?, etc..
But I do agree with you, 100 floors, you're risking your life, you should get unique rewards.
Edit: Atleast some fancy items? Like...a gold armor/sword? Even if it was just for the style...
Old 2012-09-06, 11:35   Link #613
Rakshasa

As if people in the 攻略組 don't already have very good equipment gathered through the previous floors that fit their style better.
Old 2012-09-06, 11:36   Link #614
Clarste
Human

For all we know it dropped the best spear ever seen in the game, and then he sold it because none of his friends use spears. Selling it doesn't mean it's bad, just that it's not for his spec.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-06, 11:39   Link #615
EnOfEridu
a.k.a Enki

Item Description: With this spear you will kill the 100 floor boss with one hit.
Kirito: But i don't use spears. I'll sell it.

I can see that happening.
Old 2012-09-06, 11:50   Link #616
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Item Description: With this spear you will kill the 100 floor boss with one hit.
Kirito: But i don't use spears. I'll sell it.

I can see that happening.
It takes a lot of work to change specs. Not to mention muscle memory. It's also important to keep in mind that selling something isn't like a single player RPG where it just disappears. By selling it for a high price it goes to another front line person who can afford it. It's still being put to good use by someone who needs it. It's an efficient distribution of resources for the entire community. Given that Kirito was perfectly willing to share map data for free, I doubt he'd mind donating the spear to the highest bidder. Although Agil specifically said he sells cheap, so it's not like it'll be overpriced.
Old 2012-09-06, 12:02   Link #617
Krono

Quote:
( I don't remember in the game mechanics thread if bosses respawn or are limited to a one time thing).
Floor bosses don't respawn. Field bosses like the one Asuna was talking about luring into a town don't seem to respawn either. Event bosses like the dragon respawn. Basically it seems anything that's an obstacle to progressing doesn't respawn, everything else usually does.
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-06, 12:19   Link #618
Karakuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
It takes a lot of work to change specs. Not to mention muscle memory. It's also important to keep in mind that selling something isn't like a single player RPG where it just disappears. By selling it for a high price it goes to another front line person who can afford it. It's still being put to good use by someone who needs it. It's an efficient distribution of resources for the entire community. Given that Kirito was perfectly willing to share map data for free, I doubt he'd mind donating the spear to the highest bidder. Although Agil specifically said he sells cheap, so it's not like it'll be overpriced.
Agil says he sells cheap, but he doesn't actually sell cheap. He only says that so more people come and buy his items. There's an episode ( Dunno which right now ) in which there's someone leaving his store with a " *sigh* ", I guess you can understand what happened, oh that Agil! xD
Old 2012-09-06, 12:20   Link #619
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karakuri View Post
Agil says he sells cheap, but he doesn't actually sell cheap. He only says that so more people come and buy him items. There's an episode ( Dunno which right now ) in which there's someone leaving his store with a " *sigh* ", I guess you can understand what happened, oh that Agil! xD
He also buys cheap. Which means players coming to him to sell stuff don't get much profit. The person sighing could easily have been selling something.
Old 2012-09-06, 12:21   Link #620
Karakuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
He also buys cheap. Which means players coming to him to sell stuff don't get much profit. The person sighing could easily have been selling something.
Even then, Kirito said himself that he doesn't really sell cheap IIRC. I'll search for the episode and quote it in here if you want to ( I may be wrong tho, I've re-watched episode 9 a lot, so I may have forgotten those scenes hehe )

Edit : Kirito's words ( Episode 5 ) : It seems you're as greedy as ever.
I can only think of him buying cheap and selling with high prices. It may be just me tho, atleast I think being greedy in this situation would've mean that.
Edit 2: I forgot to mention this - Agil said -> " Buy cheap and sell cheap, that's my motto ". Kirito answers with this -> " I don't know about that last part ". Agil -> " Don't go slandering my good name ".
That's why I think he doesn't sell cheap. I may be wrong tho.

Last edited by Karakuri; 2012-09-06 at 12:35.