AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-09-11, 09:46   Link #1301
battle22

Quote:
she doesn't live to her full potential
Yeah, Yukari Tamura didn't give her all.

Last edited by battle22; 2013-04-27 at 11:58.
Old 2012-10-21, 19:14   Link #1302
DoubtGin

Hey guys,

is it worth "reading" the complete VN again although I've already read most of the arcs through mangas?

What I've read so far:

Episode 1: Legend of the Golden Witch (complete)
Episode 2: Turn of the Golden Witch (complete)
Episode 3: Episode 3: Banquet of the Golden Witch
Spoiler:

Episode 4: Alliance of the Golden Witch (complete)
Spoiler:

Episode 5: End of the Golden Witch (complete)
Spoiler:

Episode 6: Dawn of the Golden Witch
Spoiler:

Episode 7: Requiem of the Golden Witch - didn't even start this one
Episode 8: Twilight of the Golden Witch - didn't even start this one

So what I've been missing: (probably) some Tea Parties + the ??? chapters, TIPS, I guess around half of EP 3, EP 7, EP 8

Should I start reading/playing the VN from EP1 on although I basically know what's going on? I have to admit I've also forgotten some relatively important parts, I guess.

An advantage of reading it again from the beginning would be that I probably get a better understanding of the whole story/mysteries because I've been confused quite a few times.

If some of you have read both the manga and the VN, are there any huge differences?

Thanks in advance.
Old 2012-10-22, 01:36   Link #1303
Drifloon

You should probably read the VN from the start, just because the music makes it so much better.
Old 2012-10-22, 10:19   Link #1304
DaBackpack
Blick Winkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifloon View Post
You should probably read the VN from the start, just because the music makes it so much better.
This.

Can't put enough emphasis in to how much the music makes the experience. The game's atmosphere is something that can't be replicated into manga. The manga is good too, but the VNs are phenomenal.
Old 2012-10-22, 12:34   Link #1305
DoubtGin

Guess I'll have to read it from the beginning again, then. Thanks again.

Though I can't wait to see what happens from EP6 on.
Old 2012-11-11, 15:40   Link #1306
DarkLK

I am really sorry for my terrible written English. But can anyone tell me, is it true that Bernkaster from Umineko has some connection to Rika Furude or Frederica Bernkastel from Higurashi?
Are there any confirmation of this? Any canon material or author interview?

Also, it is true that Ougon Musou Kyoku is canon?
Old 2012-11-11, 15:50   Link #1307
Drifloon

If the ???? sections of Episode 1 and 2 didn't make that clear, her piece's name being 'Furudo Erika' should have.

The exact nature of that connection is of course open to debate, but it's pretty obviously there.

And I don't think that OMK is generally regarded as canon, but since there's no translation I really have no idea what its story content actually entails.
Old 2012-11-11, 19:10   Link #1308
GabrieliosP
黄金の魔女 Golden Witch

OMK's story varies from which team you chose in arcade mode.

Battler/Beatrice - Takes place in an EP3-ish setting. Beatrice asks Battler help to defeat Evatrice who took over the gameboard.
Battler/Rosa - Takes place in an EP2-ish setting.
Battler/Kanon - Culprit!Battler with Accomplice!Kanon commiting the murders.

The list goes on. OMK shouldn't be considered as canon, since most of its endings don't follow it.
Old 2012-11-11, 23:56   Link #1309
DarkLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifloon View Post
If the ???? sections of Episode 1 and 2 didn't make that clear, her piece's name being 'Furudo Erika' should have.

The exact nature of that connection is of course open to debate, but it's pretty obviously there.
I understand that there are plenty of hints, but it could just be fanservice.
There are people who claim that umineko and higurashi has no relationship to each other, as there is no evidence of this.
Umineko wikia says
Quote:
It has been stated in an interview that she is the personality of the 100-year-old witch Rika seperated herself from in Saikoroshi-hen and is the crystallization of only the cruelest parts left over from the 100-year-old witch. It is possible this 100-year-old witch is Frederica.
That interview are actually exist?
Old 2012-11-12, 06:09   Link #1310
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

There's no need for an interview to confirm what is esplicitly shown in Saikoroshi-hen.

Spoiler for Saikoroshi-hen:

Ryuukishi confirmed that Bernkastel does work as a connection between Higurashi and Umineko, but he didn't specify how.

here is where he mentioned that

Quote:
This is the reason he created Bernkastel in order to put a direct link between Umineko and Higurashi.
The interpretations vary depending on your take of the metaworld and the "sea of kakera".

Spoiler for Umineko ending:

There might be other theories but these are the ones I know. Anyway what matters is that neither was officially confirmed or disconfirmed.

Last edited by Jan-Poo; 2012-11-12 at 06:25.
Old 2012-12-01, 22:03   Link #1311
pampz21
ShipCore

Spoiler for Weapons?!:

to Believe is to Live,
to Ship is to Believe,
the best part of believe is the Lie,
to Lie to oneself is to Live
and that is the Essence of Life

Old 2012-12-02, 04:02   Link #1312
Drifloon

Pretty sure that Battler never had red or blue swords, just the gold greatsword. The gold greatsword is able to make blue and red trails, though.

Battler also used blue stakes against Beato in EP4.

Will has a black katana and Clair has a silver one (though hers is never actually seen, only mentioned in text).

Dlanor has a red longsword and blue shortsword. Erika's scythe is referred to as purple, I think, and Bern has one too.

Kanon has a red sword; the goats and Seven Sisters have blue ones.

I think that's about it.
Old 2012-12-07, 20:29   Link #1313
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

I am sure that Battler used a red and/or blue sword in the fight against Dlanor, where he

Spoiler for EP5: End of the Golden Witch:
Old 2012-12-08, 05:22   Link #1314
Drifloon

Ah, well done, you're right. Battler does use a red blade in that fight. I forgot about that.
Old 2013-04-12, 10:22   Link #1315
GabrieliosP
黄金の魔女 Golden Witch

This thread is for anime-only Q&A. We already have the spoilers, theories and interpretations for that.
Old 2013-04-27, 10:50   Link #1316
immblueversion

It's been a long time since I've been here, hasn't it? I've kinda been locked out of the Umineko loop for a while, and I've only been brought back into it because of a YouTube comment by one "SakutaroChannel3" made in response to one I made about the quality and success anime. Eventually our "discussion" (well, argument) led to the commentor making this multi-comment statement:

Quote:
I partly agree with you opinion, but your opinion of Umineko anime not selling well is totally a wrong information that is being spread upon western fans of Umineko.

When Umineko anime was finished, only EP4 was coming out (when they started making anime, only EP2 was released), and Umineko was not popular at all when the anime was made. For example, Umineko VN only sold less than 10,000 copies before the anime was made, and it was like 1/80 sales of Higurashi VN.

So, they know that Umineko DVD will not sell in quantity, they sat DVD price higher than other anime DVD and aimed 1000 sales per 1 Umineko DVD.

However, DVD sold much more than DEEN expected. Each Umineko DVD gradually sold around 2,000 copies. Because Umineko anime budget was low and the price of DVD was high, they made a nice profit out of it.

So, the reputation of Umineko anime by DEEN was very nice and Umineko became popular because of it's anime.

I hope you to spread this true information about Umineko anime.

Those fake rumors of "DEEN screwed up Umineko" is a false fact, which is being spread by the original VN worshipers who try to ruin DEEN's reputaion, and this negative campaign is a big loss for Umineko overall.
Can anyone verify this?

I just know what you should be doing.
Old 2013-04-27, 11:58   Link #1317
battle22

If that's the case, why didn't they do Season 2?
Old 2013-04-27, 12:50   Link #1318
immblueversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by battle22 View Post
If that's the case, why didn't they do Season 2?
The commenter said it was because EP5 and EP6 were terrible. I wonder if they meant that Chiru is downright impossible to adapt within a 26-episode format.

I just know what you should be doing.
Old 2013-04-27, 13:42   Link #1319
battle22

Quote:
The commenter said it was because EP5 and EP6 were terrible. I wonder if they meant that Chiru is downright impossible to adapt within a 26-episode format.
I hope they meant that, because EP5-6 are nowhere near "Terrible" .

Whole Chiru is, according to my book, amazing.

Plus, how can studio decide not to animate a certain thing just because of their subjective opinion? So that's why the "Chiru is impossible to adapt" thing makes more sense.

Or they knew the fans wouldn't want another season because of the reputation the anime received after people read the VN. Personally, I want to see Chiru Anime for sole reason to watch Erika (Who made Umineko what it is today) animated.
Old 2013-04-27, 13:55   Link #1320
Drifloon

Considering that's the first time I've ever heard that the anime isn't an awful failure, and considering that there was no second season even though they milked Higurashi for all it was worth......yeah, I don't have the statistics, but I'm pretty sure this guy's just wrong.
Closed Thread

Tags
q&a