AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

View Poll Results: Umineko no Naku Koro ni - Episode 23 Rating
Perfect 10 29 23.58%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 26 21.14%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 28 22.76%
7 out of 10 : Good 20 16.26%
6 out of 10 : Average 10 8.13%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 4 3.25%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.81%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 5 4.07%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-12-02, 09:40   Link #1
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Umineko no Naku Koro ni - Episode 23 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Umineko no Naku Koro ni, Episode 23 (4-5).

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message.
    Any game spoiler posted in this thread will end up with a temporary ban of 1 day, without any kind of warning. Further offense will escalate to harsher ban.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
Spoiler Policy
  • Any spoiler that reveals future events, even under a spoiler tag, will be deleted.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    to locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
[The thread is created earlier this week as I probably won't make it in time today. Please do not go offtopic regardless if the episode has aired or not, and of course, please vote once you have at least watched it.
Episode 23 will be aired as usual, thus in 1h50 starting from the time of the thread creation.]
Old 2009-12-02, 11:30   Link #2
Escargotage
I want to believe.

Spoiler for 2chan link:

Old 2009-12-02, 12:04   Link #3
Kitsu
The unlucky one

Haven't seen it yet but the pics look decent, my only comment is "MORTAL KOMBAT!" Hoping to here "mortal stampede" or "victima"
Old 2009-12-02, 12:38   Link #4
luckyssol

In episode 14 nearly all of the discussion regarding the epitaph was cut. This time they kept what many believe to be a huge clue in solving it:
Spoiler for Epitaph clue:

I think it's interesting what they decide to keep and what gets cut.
Old 2009-12-02, 13:15   Link #5
TeeHee
I know we have bread!

Here's to the sideboob!
Spoiler for Imagery:
Cheers!
Old 2009-12-02, 13:29   Link #6
ameskitty
Kupo

Ooh, like the way they paced it .

Spoiler for thoughts:
8/10

Avatar adapted from Yoshitaka Amano art

"There is no such thing as a sexy George." - Rhiannon, Easy A
Old 2009-12-02, 13:40   Link #7
Leinne
Who... am I?

Spoiler for Opinion:

8-8.5, won't vote yet
Old 2009-12-02, 14:21   Link #8
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Lol I wonder what't the point of showing epitaph hints at this point.

But the thing that baffles me the most is the fact that this translation is exactly the same that witch hunt made! That's really an incredible coincidence considering it is not a literal translation in its stricter sense. It looks almost as if they borrowed it XD

Actually note how the first line says "at probability" following Battler spelling in Ep2, but the second line says "at a probability" like in witch hunt translation... uhmmmm...

Old 2009-12-02, 15:30   Link #9
Geekodot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Lol I wonder what't the point of showing epitaph hints at this point.

But the thing that baffles me the most is the fact that this translation is exactly the same that witch hunt made! That's really an incredible coincidence considering it is not a literal translation in its stricter sense. It looks almost as if they borrowed it XD

Actually note how the first line says "at probability" following Battler spelling in Ep2, but the second line says "at a probability" like in witch hunt translation... uhmmmm...
OR Witch hunt is really REALLY good at getting it just right and should release Ep 5 patch before Ep 6 is out because everything is just fixed by them guessing right xD

I did enjoy this episode, but I do miss Hibuta here. The replacement for Victima was good though.

The only real complaints I have for this episode, except for the soundtracks I miss from the VN, are the lack of emotion (again compared to the VN). This scene in the VN was super epic, this scene in the anime was pretty good... that's the problem imo ^^
Old 2009-12-02, 15:49   Link #10
Workworkwork

Even Goldsmith couldn't make up for no Hibuta or Victima.
Old 2009-12-02, 15:59   Link #11
immblueversion

The only thing that irked me about this episode was that they neglected to credit Nanjo Jr.'s VA (I know the TIPS state his name is Masayuki, but hey). Now we will never know who it is unless people have a REEEEALLY good ear (if the guy IS that notable, of course), or if they bother to put up his character artwork on the official anime website. Which they might, because they have done so for Okonogi and some of DEEN's character models that we won't be seeing again in the foreseeable future.

Other than that, DEEN just took all my fears about the scenes that were to be portrayed and snuffed them out. What they DID end up changing/cutting, I forsaw.

Spoiler:

10/10
Old 2009-12-02, 15:59   Link #12
Marion
The Great Dine

I'll make a review later, but generally a good episode nonetheless. 8/10, mostly due to music cuts (Victimia and Hibuta) along with some oddities.
Old 2009-12-02, 17:00   Link #13
ijriims

I have to say the handwriting of Kumasawa did not match the phrase"To my beloved apprentice" written in Maria' notebook.
Old 2009-12-02, 18:53   Link #14
Chocolate Pocky

I'm majorly excited to watch this subbed. And I really hate cliffhangers now....I'm lovin' Jessica's part and for some strange reason, I would think Gaap wouldn't wear underwear , but I'm really glad she does.
Old 2009-12-02, 19:35   Link #15
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Pocky View Post
I'm majorly excited to watch this subbed. And I really hate cliffhangers now....I'm lovin' Jessica's part and for some strange reason, I would think Gaap wouldn't wear underwear , but I'm really glad she does.
Well she actually doesn't. DEEN just can't flash genitals on screen. Not really their fault though, not even the most sauciest shows can do something like that on television.
Old 2009-12-02, 19:41   Link #16
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I thought they would have used tactical camera angles to get around the problem.

Old 2009-12-02, 19:43   Link #17
TsundereCake
真 ラブ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion View Post
not even the most sauciest shows can do something like that on television.
*cough*Queen's*cough*Blade*cough*cough*

Anyway, this episode went slower than I thought it would : DDDD I liked it better then ep 22.

The anime is winding down DDDDDD: Only three episode left
Old 2009-12-02, 20:08   Link #18
Christen
Endless Nine
*Artist

8/10 due to no Hibuta and lack of emotions. Props for everything else and Gaap fanservice.

Victima's replacement wasn't bad so I'll give it a plus. George knows kung-fu.

Please watch where you post and tag your spoilers properly if it's allowed.
Old 2009-12-02, 21:34   Link #19
KanonTheFurniture
Witch's Golden Breaker

Wow, not even 5 minutes into the episode and I can already tell that, at least with the 1998 scenes, I'm gonna need to wait for the subs to properly understand everything. Japanese numbers and I do not get along...

Spoiler for review:

This episode was really, really awful. I mean, some nice action on the fight scenes (really nice, actually; it's clear they put a lot of effort into animating this episode very well), but that's just not enough to save the overall quality of pretty much every last scene. This isn't a Shounen Anime (even if most of the EP4 fights are strong intentional parodies of them) and it shouldn't feel like one...there have to be pauses for the story and character development, which is what drives this series in the first place. This just felt like a typical Shounen battle-of-the-week episode, and I'm not happy about that. The 1998 scenes were done well for the most part, the voice acting was great and the animation was superb, but everything else was like back to EP1 all over again.

I suppose in a way it's a good thing, because it means 24-26 will have more room to be the best they can possibly be (and that is absolutely necessary), but...I just feel like they could have spread it around a bit better. George and Jessica have been pretty flat characters in the Anime so far, so it's really sad to see their chances to shine diluted down to Shounen Sidekicks... *sigh* I'll wait for subs before voting as I always do, but I'm between a 4 and 5 for this, and it's only that high because of the epic fight scenes, animation, voices, and badass George. But in the end, Umineko is not where I go to get my Shounen fix, and that's just not enough to make this episode satisfying. Most disappointing episode since 11, and for the first time since the Anime started I'm not excited for next week's episode (the preview might change that, but we'll see). Total trainwreck...I'm usually pretty positive about the Anime all things considered, but this was just inexcusably bad. Damn you, DEEN.

Edit: Really? I'm the only one who was really disappointed in this episode? Man, now I feel like Workworkwork, that's not cool...
Old 2009-12-02, 21:48   Link #20
immblueversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanonTheFurniture View Post
Wow, not even 5 minutes into the episode and I can already tell that, at least with the 1998 scenes, I'm gonna need to wait for the subs to properly understand everything. Japanese numbers and I do not get along...

Spoiler for review:

This episode was really, really awful. I mean, some nice action on the fight scenes (really nice, actually; it's clear they put a lot of effort into animating this episode very well), but that's just not enough to save the overall quality of pretty much every last scene. This isn't a Shounen Anime (even if most of the EP4 fights are strong intentional parodies of them) and it shouldn't feel like one...there have to be pauses for the story and character development, which is what drives this series in the first place. This just felt like a typical Shounen battle-of-the-week episode, and I'm not happy about that. The 1998 scenes were done well for the most part, the voice acting was great and the animation was superb, but everything else was like back to EP1 all over again.

I suppose in a way it's a good thing, because it means 24-26 will have more room to be the best they can possibly be (and that is absolutely necessary), but...I just feel like they could have spread it around a bit better. George and Jessica have been pretty flat characters in the Anime so far, so it's really sad to see their chances to shine diluted down to Shounen Sidekicks... *sigh* I'll wait for subs before voting as I always do, but I'm between a 4 and 5 for this, and it's only that high because of the epic fight scenes, animation, voices, and badass George. But in the end, Umineko is not where I go to get my Shounen fix, and that's just not enough to make this episode satisfying. Most disappointing episode since 11, and for the first time since the Anime started I'm not excited for next week's episode (the preview might change that, but we'll see). Total trainwreck...I'm usually pretty positive about the Anime all things considered, but this was just inexcusably bad. Damn you, DEEN.

Edit: Really? I'm the only one who was really disappointed in this episode? Man, now I feel like Workworkwork, that's not cool...
Well, there was the person who gave it a 4/10. Now that's two sub-par ratings out of over a dozen who found this something of an improvement from DEEN's past work.
Closed Thread