AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you find yourself watching less anime over time under certain circumstances in lif
Yes - Circumstances in life has affected me and I have started to watch much less in result. 23 46.94%
No - It really hasn`t changed how less or more anime I`m watching currently at all. 26 53.06%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-05-08, 23:55   Link #1
Paperplane
Guy on the Couch

Question Do you find yourself watching less anime overtime under certain circumstances in life

Well, I know that watching anime series or movies and having a marathon with them is good and all. However as much as I like watching anime, I certainly have been watching less due to circumstances such as University and my casual job for work. Either way, I have managed to still watch some anime currently, particularly 1-2 series at a time due to my life commitments or circumstances. As a result of such important circumstances, I'm starting to get bored of anime in general, unable to go through many episodes and end off doing something else in life. I also feel that I've sort of changed and that anime in general doesn't feel like an addiction or priority anymore in whatever series it is that I'd like to watch. I don't mean to offend anyone, this is after all, just my informed opinion and I'm new to this forum. *Originally from anidb forum as faithful*

Whether people want to admit it or not, some of them can get so caught up in watching as many anime series or movies as possible, just as I did in the past. You focus on broadening your knowledge and entertainment on anime and as such, it can consume you. Although there are some people that have sort of snapped out of it and have generally focused more on real life but still able to have a little of their anime dosage.

Also, I wanted to make another point. The point is that, IMHO, it isn't healthy for anime itself to be the central point of your life. It just isn't. It's just like watching TV all day long, laying in bed, or being on a computer all day long (if it's for your job, nothing you can do about it). You have a treadmill at home? If so, try it out. Walk on it for a good half hour. If not, grab a bike (or buy one) and go around the block. Otherwise just go for a stroll.

You need to do other stuff than just watching anime or sitting on your computer all day. I know how hard it can be to break the addiction. I started watching anime such as DBZ as a kid and my parents used it sort of as a babysitter for when they weren't looking after me. I was about 9 at the time, now I'm nearly 20. So I've had that addiction of watching more and more anime in my life (Although not a lot in total as some veteran viewers here). It makes you a social outcast and puts nothing positive in your life. Trust me, getting into something, anything else, would help. Note that this does not mean that anime as a watching hobby becomes obsolete with life's circumstances, it just makes it less important at such times.

I mean I know some of us aren't the most social or don't fit in. 'This is life sometimes, but we all have to move on with our lives. Anime in a general sense is just cartoons for entertainment and interest. It isn't reality, they're just cartoons but japanese made. We need to realize that at certain times and move beyond it. When anime becomes a passing time or something you watch for entertainment or interest with friends, it becomes a different story. Don't waste your younger years in a virtual world because one day you'll wake up and wish you were young again. So live life instead of letting anime live you.

I'd like to hear your thoughts of if you've been watching less anime currently under whatever commitments or circumstances that you have to undertake in reality.

Last edited by Paperplane; 2011-05-09 at 21:46.
Paperplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-09, 02:22   Link #2
cyth
Banned

You can has cake and eat it too.

I've had periods where I had to devote a lot of my time to real life, and during that time I've realized that you do need to prioritize your activities and vanquish others. Luckily, anime turned out to remain very near the top of it all, among other things.

Having a job, going to college, having a girlfriend all takes time, but you'll notice certain posters on this forum have all of that and still manage to watch and discuss anime. Many anime fans play a lot of games too, so when real life comes to town they significantly decrease the consumption of one of the two, and it's usually anime. I've seen people leave anime communities because they found love or some other meaning in life, and everytime it happens it pains me because that to me says anime is really just a safe haven for people who have lost their way.

The answer lies in how much time you can spend. A normal person in the west spends 8 hours a day sleeping, 10 hours a day working and commuting (some watch anime/read manga/browse AnimeSuki during their commute), meaning you get to have a full 6 hours to do shit every day, excluding the usually free weekends. Go out to jog, take a shower, cook some food, take care of your girlfriend's/wife's needs,... Now you're left with 3 to 1 hours for your very own interests.

So I'll say it's your own damn fault, your own lack of interest in Japanese cartoons why you're not watching as many. It's a pathetic excuse, not a way to discredit anime as a legit entertainment medium.

Last edited by cyth; 2011-05-09 at 02:33.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-09, 06:29   Link #3
HasuMasu
*Artist

i'm actually watching more since it's summer vacation, but since classes start in june i guess it'll be cut down a bit
Old 2011-05-09, 07:15   Link #4
Kafriel
Senior Guest

I've come down to 6 anime (episodes, that is) per week, because I've either got other stuff to do or just got too lazy to watch something else. Usually one or two will be put on hold to marathon over a night after the season's over...but few compare to the first anime I had watched, the excitement back then was simply on a different level.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-09, 13:45   Link #5
mindovermatter
For me the bell tolls

Send a message via AIM to mindovermatter Send a message via MSN to mindovermatter Send a message via Yahoo to mindovermatter
now that I'm in America, I've embraced Hulu and find myself watching less anime, and more sitcoms. I still love anime though. Time is a huge factor for me. Homework and studying is (supposed) to come first. Right now I'm only keeping up with one series, and not watching anything old either

School Rumble 4Ever!
I'm on FB search "jym cl"
mindovermatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-09, 16:28   Link #6
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperplane View Post
Also, I wanted to make another point. The point is that, IMHO, it isn't healthy for anime itself to be the central point of your life. It just isn't. It's just like watching TV all day long, laying in bed, or being on a computer all day long (if it's for your job, nothing you can do about it). You have a treadmill at home? If so, try it out. Walk on it for a good half hour. If not, grab a bike (or buy one) and go around the block. Otherwise just go for a stroll.

You need to do other stuff than just watching anime or sitting on your computer all day. I know how hard it can be to break the addiction. I started watching anime such as DBZ as a kid and my parents used it sort of as a babysitter for when they weren't looking after me. I was about 9 at the time, now I'm nearly 20. So I've had that addiction of watching more and more anime in my life (Although not a lot in total as some veteran viewers here). It makes you a social outcast and puts nothing positive in your life. Trust me, getting into something, anything else, would help.
A question, if I may; why sacrifice something that you love for something else? Or how does watching anime make you a social outcast? If you happened to become one, it is only your fault for being such an extreme case, but implying that most of us here have the same "problem", that's just plain vulgar. Not to mention there's quite a few members that are way older than you to listen to your advices and the younger ones won't care anyway, so I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve here.

If you're happy with your way of life, good for you, just don't try telling others it's the best way around. Especially not, if it's shouting "Anime is bad for you!" in an anime-focused discussion board, for Christ's sake.
Old 2011-05-09, 17:56   Link #7
ChainLegacy
廉頗

I watch maybe an episode or two a week... currently I'm not watching any series but I'd like to pick a good one up when I have a nice open day to experiment with a few series. I think my life circumstances have limited my anime consumption, but it's also by choice. It's not like I don't have any free time; I just have less of it than when I was a kid, and more often than not anime takes a back seat to any of the other activities I do in my free time (social, exercising, cooking, games etc). Ironically, I probably spend more time on these forums than actually watching anime.

And as for your motivational speech of sorts, I've been watching anime since I was a kid too and it's never been a detriment to my life. Then again, even at my most hardcore period of fandom I only watched 10 or so episodes a week.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-09, 19:46   Link #8
Asuras
Dictadere~!

AP testing done and no finals in sight. I can assume that my anime consumption will increase from here, but the prospect of a job and summertime with friends and a girlfriend may contradict that.

Who knows?

Like Chain above me, I'm also currently without a real important series on my mind. I pretty much wander with the releases with little true care.
Old 2011-05-09, 20:04   Link #9
Shikimori Kazuki
Angeloid Type β - Nymph

I watch less anime and read more of manga. On top of that, none of the anime so far catches my eye. I have a life, so i rather catch up to things in my life first, than work on watching the anime i missed.
Shikimori Kazuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-09, 20:14   Link #10
Paperplane
Guy on the Couch

I think some of you guys are misunderstanding my point about life's circumstances being an issue over watching anime. In regards to this topic, people get different hobbies and upcoming circumstances of their life start to become more important. That does not mean that anime as a watching hobby becomes obsolete or given up upon, life's priorites at times just makes it less important. That's what I meant.
Old 2011-05-09, 21:16   Link #11
LonelyGirl
Observer.
*Artist

I'll always watch more and more regardless of the circumstances in my life.
Who do people think they are criticizing other people for how they live their life just because you think you got it all figured out. Just live your life how you want to, nothing else to it.
Hakuna Matata.
LonelyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-09, 21:30   Link #12
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperplane View Post
I think some of you guys are misunderstanding my point about life's circumstances being an issue over watching anime. In regards to this topic, people get different hobbies and upcoming circumstances of their life start to become more important. That does not mean that anime as a watching hobby becomes obsolete or given up upon, life's priorites at times just makes it less important. That's what I meant.
Ah.... maybe you should edit/clarify the OP ... I mean, I used to play tabletop wargames (Avalon Hill, etc) and a lot of classic D&D pen'n'paper. I never lost my enjoyment of them... I simply lack the extensive time required to do them properly anymore. Nowadays, our family is lucky to have more than 2-3 hours to spend on a tabletop game and its usually one that everyone likes (like Settlers of Cataan, Shogun, or a quick "Kobolds Ate My Baby" beer'n'pretzels roleplay). One son is starting a business and the other is a junior EE major and doing research in the summer. My wife is lucky if she *doesn't* have overtime at her workplace. So when we have the time many of the things we'd *like* to do... well we have to choose.

I don't have time to watch every series that looks remotely interesting... so I'm pretty fascist about keeping it to 5 or fewer series a season. I don't watch American tv more than a few hours a week so a couple of hours a week on anime isn't too much. And the manga or light novel reading happens for bedtime reading.
Old 2011-05-09, 21:34   Link #13
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

I've watched a lot of anime before. Up to or over 15 series/week in the mid 00's when I had most of my college classes, and that does not include series I would marathon on the weekends. I've always been a social recluse, and still spend most of my free time alone, but anime hasn't gotten in the way of hanging out with people who know nothing about anime or going to work and enjoying my time there. I do fall asleep when watching anime quite a bit though.
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-09, 21:43   Link #14
Paperplane
Guy on the Couch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Ah.... maybe you should edit/clarify the OP
Done. Sorry for all the misunderstandings.
Old 2011-05-09, 22:22   Link #15
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

I watch a lot of anime in a day somewhere between 8-15 eps depending on what day it is. But being alone and a good hate of all the idiots around me gives me a lot of time that and not sleeping for days on end. Got to full the time some how
Old 2011-05-10, 01:04   Link #16
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Umm... I'd be surprised if one didn't. I mean sometimes you're just really busy and can't watch anime series like mad.

Me personally, it really depends on the mood-- sometimes I just don't feel like watching any of it, even if there's many good ones.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-10, 01:09   Link #17
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

My problem honestly is I don't know how to prioritize the important needs in my life. When an episode is released of an anime I really want to watch I can't stop myself from opening it no matter how much stuff regarding my college classes or other responsibilities comes up.

This can sometimes be detrimental, but oh well...
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-10, 01:33   Link #18
Indigoblk

Talking Definitly

As I Proceed through life my eyes drift, my mind wanders, I am lead astray.
Which Anime should I watch to lead me on my way?
Time drifts and so do I.
Until the fact that I even watch becomes a lie.

Embrace my destiny
embrace my fate
anime is in my blood to stay.

corney huh but fits the topic.
Indigoblk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-10, 02:40   Link #19
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Watching anime - a hobby I got into in university, so I've always had to wrap it around responsibilities - on my own never takes that much of my time. Remember,fifteen 25 minute episodes is less than six and a half hours, and its unusual for me to watch that many episodes a week. I just watch an episode while eating lunch of taking a short break or something like that.

The social aspect, however, can add significantly to that time. I can spend hours writing posts for some of the deeper threads on this board, my girlfriend and I can easily watch like 3 hours when she's over, and my anime buddies and I will sometimes hang out til like 1AM if we all have a Saturday off. This can easily boost my anime time from "nice little diversion" to "prevents me from keeping up with current events and/or writing the novel I want to write".

On the flip side, I think I did well in university in part because I developed such good argumentation skills here, I met my girlfriend because she was cosplaying a character I liked at a con (I normally don't connect well with girls), and some of my anime buddies are interesting people (ie. physics professor, etc.), so it's time well wasted.

As for exercise, I have restless legs so I rarely sit still for a long time when I'm on my own, although group events can interfere with my exercise schedule. If I ever win the lottery, I intend to build a HTPC equipped home gym so that I can watch anime and get into shape at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
My problem honestly is I don't know how to prioritize the important needs in my life. When an episode is released of an anime I really want to watch I can't stop myself from opening it no matter how much stuff regarding my college classes or other responsibilities comes up.

This can sometimes be detrimental, but oh well...
I will admit that when you decide to watch your anime can hurt you much more easily than overall time expended... I was pretty good about it in college - most of the time. I don't intend to share the one truly stupid exception I did on a public forum.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-10, 05:09   Link #20
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

I know I watch much less then I used to. But I don't spend as much time at home as I used to, and don't really have as much easy access to anime either (although that might change if I get somewhere more permanent to stay so I can setup my storage box - B&B's are conducive to what I'd like to do).

Used to watch Bleach and a couple others religiously too, but its been so long that I just haven't had the urge to catch up. I've only been sticking to one or two series a season recently, if that. I think if I was more settled I'd get more. The same holds for Manga

Although I do have a guilty pleasure with fanfics, since I can read those on my phone through the browser.