AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2006-01-25, 19:47   Link #21
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Quote:
From what i've understood the tv series had nothing to do with the manga. So does this OVA start where the manga starts?
TV series loosely follows the manga up untill approximately episode 7, if my memory doesn't fail me. Later on it's all make-believe...

The OVA starts the story from the beginning of the manga.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-25, 20:46   Link #22
Goldsplinter

What's an OVA?

And what's the difference between an OVA and the TV series?
Goldsplinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-25, 20:53   Link #23
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Correct me if I'm wrong, but OVA's are specials that may be on TV as a special but usually will go straight to Video. TV means it was on regular or paid late night TV.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-25, 22:21   Link #24
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldsplinter
What's an OVA?
The most complete answer was given by xris, here. The relevant portion is this,
Quote:
Originally Posted by xris
What's an OVA (or OAV).

Note: the term OAV (Original Animated Video) is sometimes used but means the same thing.

An OVA release means that the series hasn't been shown on TV before but is released straight into the 'video marketplace'. That's where the name comes from, it's an original video release (and the term was used many years ago before these new fangled DVDs were popular).

The OVA release schedule can be several weeks or months between one episode and the next (and please note, it is common for just one 30 minute episode to be released on a DVD in Japan). Due to this, the animation for an OVA can be very high quality. OVAs are funded before the project is started so they can put time and money into the story and artwork.

The length of an OVA can vary a lot but 4 or 6 episodes is common (or used to be). I think the general consensus is that the OVA marketplace is declining and so not as many are being made now as 5-10 years ago.

A typical OVA episode lasts for 30 minutes (since they don't have to allow for any advert breaks).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbin
Correct me if I'm wrong, but OVA's are specials that may be on TV as a special but usually will go straight to Video. TV means it was on regular or paid late night TV.
Not quite. Sometimes an OVA is aired on TV as a promotion to convince people to purchase the DVDs, but it is usually edited in some way. For instance Dokoro-chan's OVAs were aired in a censored form with advertisements for the DVD covering part of the artwork. More recently Hellsing was also aired in a edited form as a sort of advance taste of the DVD version.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-26, 14:39   Link #25
Goldsplinter

Oh... So there Kinda like a TV Series Except, theyre not on tv but on dvd or video?

Like an Anime series you can only buy and not shown on tv?
Goldsplinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-26, 17:30   Link #26
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Close Enough, read NSW's explanation but for the short
TV means it came on TV
Movie Means it started in the Theaters.
OVA means It has a small chance of being on TV, and a smaller chance of being on the Theater (Because it's very short).
So most of the time it goes straight to Video or is released during a convention like the Jump Fiesta.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-28, 18:32   Link #27
Jyaki

Question Umm..

This my be a very nieve question, but, is there any link on the world wide web that has the digest on it so i can actualy watch it? i am really excited about this, but sadly, i did not even see the Digest myself, so if anyone, could you plz tell me how i can get to watch this even though it was already out on tv, thank you.
Jyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-28, 18:48   Link #28
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyaki
This my be a very nieve question, but, is there any link on the world wide web that has the digest on it so i can actualy watch it? i am really excited about this, but sadly, i did not even see the Digest myself, so if anyone, could you plz tell me how i can get to watch this even though it was already out on tv, thank you.
Since the OVA is licensed, we would consider the digest version to be also licensed. Therefore you may not ask for downloads nor may links to the download be posted.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-28, 19:00   Link #29
Jyaki

Exclamation Then..

Then how did these people see it if tehy were not in japan to see the digest, hmm..?
Jyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-28, 19:22   Link #30
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Comparatively yours, obviously those people's cranium capacity is exceedingly huge.

Use the force Jyaki! Won't it be awesome to give your grey matter a bit of exercise?
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-29, 18:16   Link #31
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Is it really true for this series that...

Spoiler:
Old 2006-01-29, 18:22   Link #32
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion
Is it really true for this series that...

Spoiler:
Yep. A vampire can only turn a virgin-human of the opposite sex into a vampire. Any other conditions creates ghouls instead.

That's the explanation for why Vampires aren't all over the world; adult virgins whom a vampire would consider attractive enough (Vampires are picky about making partners) to be invited into vampirism are few and far between, limiting their population growth.

EDIT: On another point, If a Vampire doesn't want to make another vampire or another ghoul, but just wants to drink, the victim can be decapitated/stabbed through the heart just before or just after feeding. As you know, Arucard doesn't walk around with a ghoul entourage.
Old 2006-01-29, 18:31   Link #33
OrO
Vega

Send a message via ICQ to OrO Send a message via AIM to OrO Send a message via MSN to OrO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant
Yep. A vampire can only turn a virgin-human of the opposite sex into a vampire. Any other conditions creates gouls instead.

That's the explanation for why Vampires aren't all over the world; adult virgins whom a vampire would consider attractive enough (Vampires are picky about making partners) to be invited into vampirism are few and far between, limiting their population growth.
Thanks for this answer, good to know
OrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-29, 20:12   Link #34
Mr.Hawq
The Hawqman

i saw the digest version today also, wow the fights that you see on the tv series were pretty much the same in this ova, but it takes place in different locations, and also the stuff that were happeing takes place in different locations. The animation i got to say was excellent,the action was also excellent. As of right now i like the Ceres in the 2002 Hellsing then the digest version i saw.
Mr.Hawq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-30, 13:46   Link #35
pathyfinder
Terabyte needs anime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir
Comparatively yours, obviously those people's cranium capacity is exceedingly huge.

Use the force Jyaki! Won't it be awesome to give your grey matter a bit of exercise?
LOL

hmmm I didn't have time to watch this yet (this past weekend)

However, from the comments here about it being pretty gory, hmmm scares me a bit, that's not "pathy-rated-safe"... I barely made it thru the last OP (that face squish thing did a number on me) and yes my girls laugh devilishly when I watch between my fingers!

I'll have to muster up some stomach for this I see

Monir-san, wtf is that dancing doll thing in your sig? Where is sas uke?
pathyfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-31, 11:14   Link #36
LastDuaL
Drunken Samurai

Man, I thought the former series started a lot better than this. Everything felt generic and more over-the-top than ever. No time spent building the characters, rush from one action scene to the next (the whole thing felt rushed), over-exaggerate the art style every other frame....

I have to agree that the series felt dumbed-down (whether for western audiences or not). Hopefully things will improve, but I was pretty dissapointed with the 1st ep.

edit: OK, I just got the info about this being the "digest" version - maybe the DVD will end up better...somehow.
LastDuaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-31, 17:27   Link #37
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathyfinder
However, from the comments here about it being pretty gory, hmmm scares me a bit, that's not "pathy-rated-safe"... I barely made it thru the last OP (that face squish thing did a number on me) and yes my girls laugh devilishly when I watch between my fingers!
The OVA is apparently going to be true to the manga which is very graphic and gory to begin with while the TV version by Gonzo differed in many ways from the manga. I liked the Gonzo version. I don't like how some of the characters are portrayed in the OVA such as Hellsing and her assistant (guy with the glass). It was exhilarating to see him fight for the first time after his impression of him being a reserved, non-threatening, genial butler. In the OVA, Hellsing and the butler, they both look so thuggish. Guess I need to get used to it.

Quote:
Monir-san, wtf is that dancing doll thing in your sig? Where is sas uke?

The dancing dolly is from the latest ending theme of Bleach. And the anti-Sasuke logo will make his glorious comeback in my sig as soon as Sasuke-kun does so in the anime.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-02, 20:17   Link #38
pathyfinder
Terabyte needs anime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastDuaL
Man, I thought the former series started a lot better than this. Everything felt generic and more over-the-top than ever. No time spent building the characters, rush from one action scene to the next (the whole thing felt rushed), over-exaggerate the art style every other frame....

I have to agree that the series felt dumbed-down (whether for western audiences or not). Hopefully things will improve, but I was pretty dissapointed with the 1st ep.

edit: OK, I just got the info about this being the "digest" version - maybe the DVD will end up better...somehow.
I remember reading this thread before I watched it, however having watched it I felt:

1) too much blood, but I was pre-warned

2)I prefer the old Ceres like Mr.Hawq

3) I felt bored watching it THEN to make things worse I felt, man this is like watching american cartoons ..... that is exactly the feeling I had, and forced myself to finish watching it despite my boredom.

I guess it didnt' help much that I watched it after MUSHISHI ep. 10 either.

However IF this is just a Digest version of what is to come, I'll forgive. (grumbles to one self..wtf are they doing to Hellsing that I knew and loved)... for now I'll wait *better be worth it*

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir
The dancing dolly is from the latest ending theme of Bleach. And the anti-Sasuke logo will make his glorious comeback in my sig as soon as Sasuke-kun does so in the anime.
Any chance of Toni Toni Chopper dancing next to her?

Oh, BLEACH, I watched some of that, but I thought each ep was the same as the last, plus those monsters turned up in my dreams one night and that was the end of that anime for me Why can't it be someone like Yang Wenli from LoGH? That's right he's married now
pathyfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-03, 17:54   Link #39
Jaden

So does this hellsing ultimate yet exist? All I've seen is a trailer.
It's kind of strange that the series would be reanimated...while the original hellsing anime wasn't nearly as high in quality as this one seems to be, it was allright.
There has been hellsing projects that have been canceled, and this one has been in the making for rather long.
Is this like, really, totally, for real?
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-03, 18:02   Link #40
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden
Is this like, really, totally, for real?
Yes, it's for real:

-> Official Web Site
-> ANN Hellsing OVA details.

Cheers.
Catgirls is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, seinen