AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Air

Notices

Old 2006-08-25, 00:39   Link #1
Alex Ikari
Berserk Knight

Ending of Air

Well it's been months since I've seen it but I'm still a bit confused about Air's ending. My memory's a little foggy but from what I remembered, Yukito 'dies' to save Misuzu but she ends up getting sick again? What really confuses me though is when Yukito becomes a crow after he dies and the whole series is kind of reshown but this time he's watching himself from the crow's POV and the crow now has a part in the storyline although it didn't before. Er, any explanations?
Alex Ikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-25, 00:49   Link #2
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Yukito doesn't die. He transforms into a crow and goes back in time so that he could be with Misuzu through it all. This way, once it is too painful for Misuzu to be with him, he can still be with her and help her to enjoy being with her mother before she dies.

Then after Misuzu is dead, he resumes his human form.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-25, 00:55   Link #3
Alex Ikari
Berserk Knight

Wow I missed that entirely. Did Misuzu actually die? I remember her losing her memory but then she regained it and was happy again with her mother. As for Yukito turning back into his human form, is this just assumed or what?
Alex Ikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-25, 01:19   Link #4
Jeiku

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Then after Misuzu is dead, he resumes his human form.
Wha...? I've never seen anything like that in the TV series, unless it was the ending for the game anyhow...

I'm confident Yukito "died" in a sense at least. My theory is that he placed his spirit into the doll like how his mother had done when he was a child. Through this, Yukito was reincarnated as Sora, somehow... Perhaps because his will to find and help Misuzu was so strong. Also, because Yukito in his human form was simply not good enough, he was unable help Misuzu, but as Sora he could finally look at her in an entirely alternate perspective through speculation. Misuzu finally achieved her "goal" and died, but unlike her tragic predecessors, her life ended with good memories - memories with Yukito and especially with her mother, who was a great driving force for her as well.

... At this point though the curse has not been ended yet. Misuzu's memories were left with Sora, who had to soar beyond the point any human can reach by themselves, the sky, and bring those memories to "she who is waiting in the air," the girl with wings. I believe at this point, the curse finally has been lifted, and the winged girl's pain finally ends after one thousand summers, or something like that. As for Yukito/Sora's fate... who knows. I kind of doubt he goes back to being a human really, but eh. So there's my view on the ending of AIR, and... yeah.
Jeiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-25, 01:25   Link #5
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Okay, I'll admit it is just my interpretation that he'd reverse the spell and return to humanity. I just don't like the throught of him trapped as a crow for the rest of his life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Ikari
Wow I missed that entirely. Did Misuzu actually die? I remember her losing her memory but then she regained it and was happy again with her mother.:
Yes. Misuzu died at the end. That is absolute.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-25, 05:49   Link #6
Rengemaru
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeiku
I'm confident Yukito "died" in a sense at least. My theory is that he placed his spirit into the doll like how his mother had done when he was a child. Through this, Yukito was reincarnated as Sora, somehow... Perhaps because his will to find and help Misuzu was so strong. Also, because Yukito in his human form was simply not good enough, he was unable help Misuzu, but as Sora he could finally look at her in an entirely alternate perspective through speculation.
Although this whole topic has been discussed in this topic but from what I read, he sacrificed his body (or his life, you pick) to give Misuzu more time alive to spend with her mother.
Old 2006-08-26, 19:51   Link #7
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
I just don't like the throught of him trapped as a crow for the rest of his life.
Yeah, its kinda hard to believe that such an amazing character that Yukito is, has to live the rest of his life like that - and of course, with no memory apart from a few lil' flickers here and there.

After the first time of watching Air back when it was airing, clicking onto the fact that Yukito is no more ended up in me just breaking down.. i didn't wanna believe it. But still, to this day - he shall always be my number 01 character.
Old 2006-08-26, 22:00   Link #8
Jeiku

For me it was a tad disappointing to see Yukito "die" as well... He went through the most development in the entire series, besides Misuzu's mother perhaps, and underwent quite a drastic change from the beginning to end. ... Hell, I could probably say he's my favourite character in AIR as well. To me though, Yukito's fate isn't very important since he finally succeeded in helping the girl waiting in the air, which was what I was hoping for by the very end... But if I had to say something perhaps he was reincarnated as another human, going by the anime's theme of starting a new beginning and repeating the cycle somewhat. Except this time there'll be no more curse. Hmm.

As for Yukito giving Misuzu more time to spend with her mother... I do not think so, personally. He did give her an extraordinary amount of motivation she needed to reach her "goal" though, which was probably what kept Misuzu alive a little bit longer, because she refused to rest until then.
Jeiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-26, 22:48   Link #9
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Okay, I'll admit it is just my interpretation that he'd reverse the spell and return to humanity. I just don't like the throught of him trapped as a crow for the rest of his life.
yes denial is the way
yes the ending was too cruel...it could possibly be one of the worst (saddest) ending ive ever seen...made me cry to see misuzu and yukito not have a future

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-26, 23:32   Link #10
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

http://trinityblood.net/animagik9/konosono/?p=649

It gives a whole new look at the tragedy... (makes me scare of rich and pulpy somehow)

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-26, 23:54   Link #11
Minoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan

It gives a whole new look at the tragedy... (makes me scare of rich and pulpy somehow)
Ha...I seem to remember a joking thread on another forum, in which the weird juice was blamed for the extraordinary thickness of Haruko's tear trails in the aozora scene as well...
Minoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-27, 17:07   Link #12
Rengemaru
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeiku
As for Yukito giving Misuzu more time to spend with her mother... I do not think so, personally. He did give her an extraordinary amount of motivation she needed to reach her "goal" though, which was probably what kept Misuzu alive a little bit longer, because she refused to rest until then.
Misuzu went to sleep and wanted to stay asleep, she even thought she will never wake up again. But Yukito wanted her to wake up from the bottom of his heart. Thus placing that wish into the doll and sacrificing himself for it.
All of this was discussed in this Thread
Old 2006-09-03, 11:43   Link #13
*Root_316*

Send a message via AIM to *Root_316*
well.....from what i think.....Yukito doesnt "die", he transforms into sora the crow, then he goes through everything again with misuzu, and he can stick by her so she can be happy....but then in the ending it says " ill always be with her" and "say hello to her for me if you see her"....So i think she died and then she was reborn..for some reason, but yukito cant stay with her. That is why he is leaving on the train.(This is what i think, im waiting for someone to tell me what really happened)
*Root_316* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-04, 07:58   Link #14
rei
Nya~ I'm a good actress

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan

If that is true though, then Hijiri (Kano's elder sister / the doctor - for those who are not familiar with the name) would have noticed the cause of Misuzu's illness.
rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-04, 08:29   Link #15
Reives
Dr.

Send a message via MSN to Reives
Quote:
Originally Posted by rei
If that is true though, then Hijiri (Kano's elder sister / the doctor - for those who are not familiar with the name) would have noticed the cause of Misuzu's illness.
Aw c'mon, don't spoil those precious light-hearted jokes.
Reives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-04, 10:17   Link #16
rei
Nya~ I'm a good actress

I guess I don't know that was intended to be a joke

Last edited by rei; 2006-09-04 at 10:28.
rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-05, 08:08   Link #17
Rengemaru
Mad Scientist

Does anyone know exactly where to find a juice similer to it? I wanna taste it
Old 2006-09-05, 22:32   Link #18
frad113

Send a message via AIM to frad113
Haha, funny that you should mention it, at the loca A&P, there is a Taiwanese peach drink. Not quite super concentrated though... Or check your friendly Asian Food Market for something similar.
frad113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-21, 23:06   Link #19
Reives
Dr.

Send a message via MSN to Reives
I think I'm drinking what you are referring to right now actually; only that it's the mango version...

(Webcam pic)
Reives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-06, 16:42   Link #20
johnnybabe

that doesnt look deadly
the one in the anime was pink and super kawaii and probably tasted worse than diet coke
johnnybabe is offline   Reply With Quote