AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 4 Rating
Perfect 10 26 26.80%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 42 43.30%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 18 18.56%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 5.15%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 3.09%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.03%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 2.06%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-07, 16:02   Link #221
Narumi
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixen View Post
Crayon Shin-Chan, which a.f.k. managed to integrate into the dialog.
It could have been worked in (and at one point I had indeed replaced 'him' with 'Shin') but since in Japanese the dialogue wasn't as blatent, we chose to let the viewer figure it out.

As for the idea of t/l notes, I'm not a fan of more text on screen than necessary...
Old 2007-05-07, 16:08   Link #222
aorta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willen View Post
Reading this may help: http://basic1.easily.co.uk/04F022/036051/Cuties.html
Yes, Akira says, "Akira mamosureppi." Listen closely.
Thanks for the explanation. It kind of reminds of the -pyon endings used in FLCL. These kinds of things never work well in subtitles.
Old 2007-05-07, 16:20   Link #223
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm still trying to figure out what it is that Kona discovered during the birthday cake eating segment. She says she discovered another facet of Kagamin's charm... but I can't figure it out unless Kagamin just eats strawberries in some sensual way by Kona's standards. Kagamin certainly is orally fixated (always something in her mouth ... pocky, hashi, etc)
Old 2007-05-07, 16:34   Link #224
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
No... I thought that as I was writing it ("catfight"). I'm just glad they got the SHnY refs done and out of the way so the "sees Haruhi in everything" people can take drugs. They put them in such a way that someone who'd never heard of SHnY would just say "she's watching some anime, eh? that had some filler in it" and just figure she was torturing Kagami with an Brigade Chief armband since she's so bossy.
Something tells me they aren't done with the Haruhi references (And one thing is for sure they do exist, but the only one's that actually are Haruhi references are the one's that are blatantly obvious and not for example the school uniform, which doesn't resemble the North High uniform at all or, "Wow hey Konata's the next Haruhi since they are both voiced by Aya Hirano". They are nothing alike. bleh!). However, the mere mention of the show even in passing is enough to enrapture an entire segment of Japan's population so I think at most they will just tone it down. If they ditch those they might be in hot water.
Old 2007-05-07, 17:07   Link #225
Meophist

Quote:
I'm still trying to figure out what it is that Kona discovered during the birthday cake eating segment. She says she discovered another facet of Kagamin's charm... but I can't figure it out unless Kagamin just eats strawberries in some sensual way by Kona's standards. Kagamin certainly is orally fixated (always something in her mouth ... pocky, hashi, etc)
I was thinking it had to do with the first episode.
Old 2007-05-07, 17:09   Link #226
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
I probably missed something... why the change to "Kagamin"?

In agreement with Kaioshin_Sama-san. XD I think, sad to say, that it would be in their best interests to keep adding Haruhi references. It can only boost Lucky*Star popularity, and even Haruhiists who don't care for Lucky*Star would want to watch it for the references. Personally I'd want to see more references from smaller series; series in which only true *OTAKU!* would get.

I'm a bit ermmhh about Lucky Channel this time. I hope something definitely changes with the next coming episodes. (Although.. Akira-sama still makes for some good icons. )

Last edited by Risaa; 2007-05-07 at 17:12. Reason: Oops! Spell chekku.
Old 2007-05-07, 18:15   Link #227
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

"Kagamin" is Konata's twisted way of addressing Kagami ... I won't even try to decipher the honorific combination that led to it
Old 2007-05-07, 18:17   Link #228
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
I probably missed something... why the change to "Kagamin"?
Kagami-chan
Kagami-chin
Kagamin
Old 2007-05-07, 18:38   Link #229
Fixen
ZnT Translator

Quote:
I'm more confused about the faces Kona makes while watching Kagami. They don't make sense at all.

I'm willing to bet that it's a far more blatant Crayon Shin-chan reference than it seems but I don't know that show very well. All I remember from watching it several times when I was little was that its humor is a bit off my age range.
Old 2007-05-07, 19:23   Link #230
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by arias View Post
Kagami-chan
Kagami-chin
Kagamin
Thanks for explaining how she got to Kagamin... I admit I haven't been paying attention to how Kona addresses Kagami ever since I heard "Kagamiya"; now, no matter how Kona - or anyone else - addresses Kagami, my brain changes it to "Kagamiya" complete with Kona's nyaa voice.
Old 2007-05-07, 19:52   Link #231
Fixen
ZnT Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
Thanks for explaining how she got to Kagamin... I admit I haven't been paying attention to how Kona addresses Kagami ever since I heard "Kagamiya"; now, no matter how Kona - or anyone else - addresses Kagami, my brain changes it to "Kagamiya" complete with Kona's nyaa voice.
I'm sorry, but I think I'll copy you on that one.
Old 2007-05-07, 21:35   Link #232
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onniguru View Post
Those weren't the only references.

In one of Konata's excuses to her sensai, she met a girl (Aya from KANON) who had just stolen Takoyaki [sic? sic means mispelling] and she, Konata (ie: Kion), helped her escape in the same way Kion helped her escape in KANON.
OBJECTION!

That is not what "sic" means!

"Sic" is a word used to indicate that you have quoted a word/phrase as originally written/said; and so if there are any grammatical errors, it was intentional.

Under your example, you are implying with certainty that Konata said "Takoyaki" in her dialogue, which is absolutely false.

If you wish to indicate your uncertainty on the spelling of a word, just try using the following method instead,
Quote:
~
had just stolen Takoyaki(spelling?) and she
~
~~~~ ~~~~

Other corrections,

Sensei, not Sensai.
Ayu, not Aya.
Misspelling, not mispelling.
Kyon, not Kion.
Yuuichi is the male protagonist in Kanon, not Kyon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
~
I have to say this about Lucky Channel. Kyoto Animation doesn't have all that much experience with original material and the one episode of Haruhi they wrote specifically for the anime they just panned themselves here.
~
If you speak of Ep09(14), it was not KyoAni who wrote the script, but the novel's author himself. When it comes to their novel adaptations, KyoAni usually gets the author's participation so as to retain story consistency.

Cheers.
Old 2007-05-07, 21:51   Link #233
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Misspelling, not mispelling.
How ironic, yo.

Just a little note, what I always do when I don't know the spelling is I add a "(sp?)" after the word, like so:

[naninani] mispelling (sp?) [naninani]
Old 2007-05-07, 22:27   Link #234
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
OBJECTION!
Easy there, Naruhodou.
Old 2007-05-08, 01:47   Link #235
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Final note on 4: thorough Kagami cuteness while she was reading in bed because she couldn't sleep. For some reason sleeplessness is a running theme in the manga, virtually all the characters suffer from it.
Old 2007-05-08, 06:01   Link #236
cardslash02

Hey, is backgrounds n stuff really being outsourced to studios in Korea? Does anyone know details abotu that?
Old 2007-05-08, 06:32   Link #237
Willen
Aoba Tsukishima

Quote:
Originally Posted by aorta View Post
Thanks for the explanation. It kind of reminds of the -pyon endings used in FLCL. These kinds of things never work well in subtitles.
Glad to help.

Sometimes I'm surprised at what my rudimentary knowledge of Japanese + my knowledge of J-Pop idol Noriko Sakai + my Google skills can come up with.

It's pop-culture stuff like this that makes language translation difficult.

EDIT: watching the ending again, I noticed that Minoru says, "... tada Norippigo ima toki wakarana to omoimasu." in the Lucky Channel outro. (a.f.k. again uses 'cowabunga' as a substitute to get the joke across.)

Last edited by Willen; 2007-05-08 at 08:03.
Old 2007-05-08, 12:27   Link #238
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Quote:
Final note on 4: thorough Kagami cuteness while she was reading in bed because she couldn't sleep. For some reason sleeplessness is a running theme in the manga, virtually all the characters suffer from it.
Wouldn't that be because so many people IRL suffer from it? I'm no exception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardslash02 View Post
Hey, is backgrounds n stuff really being outsourced to studios in Korea? Does anyone know details abotu that?
That made me smile actually... It was a while ago that I noticed Korean names appearing on Japanese anime credits*. I know someone else can explain this better, so hang on a minute... [runs off]

Spoiler for Outsourcing:

Last edited by Risaa; 2007-05-08 at 12:29. Reason: Didn't specify credits ^^;
Old 2007-05-08, 12:28   Link #239
Fixen
ZnT Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
Everybody does. Well...everybody big on Japanese culture. I forget the last time I went to bed before midnight. XD
Old 2007-05-08, 13:36   Link #240
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye... its just that this is the first time I've run across it as a "running gag" in a series (mostly manga so far, we have to wait and see if they portray all the characters having a sleepless night in the series).

In the manga, Kagami finishing her book was followed by some mild consternation that she had read til the sun came up. The anime portrayed it more as resignation about the fact.