AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-04-07, 09:12   Link #261
jennkei
Screenshot Fiend

Heh, yeah, I kinda-boggled at the bullet time and blocking-with-boomerang moves. ._. The carbon stuff just confused me, so not sure if I'll be following this one quite as closely as I was gonna..
jennkei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-07, 09:38   Link #262
Noe
HARDCORE Fate addict™

Send a message via AIM to Noe Send a message via MSN to Noe
First episode was decent imo.

ALL HAIL FATE T. HARLAOWN!
#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net to revere, share, and cherish Fate Testarossa Harlaown.
My blog
Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-07, 13:40   Link #263
letsza

does someone have lyrics

of the OP / ED?
letsza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-07, 14:50   Link #264
Zippicus

I'm not sure if I'm going to follow this one. I'll check out a few more episodes at least. As long as it doesn't get too preachy I'll probably stick with it.
Zippicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-07, 15:16   Link #265
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Al Gore would love the idea of carbon taxing
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-07, 16:11   Link #266
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
This series could be the end of GONZO. It is not a critical hit that can save the name from becoming history. At most it could be a memorable last hurrah before the studio completely folds into oblivion.

The anime has some interesting ideas to explore but some parts annoyed me to no end (the crossdresser character mainly). And Hojo should wear bicycle pants or something. Wearing skirts and flying like that around is distracting.
Old 2009-04-07, 16:54   Link #267
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

I think it'll be one of the last Gonzo's project . (remind you the last new for Gonzo )
For the anime , its not my type .
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-07, 20:26   Link #268
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Fantastic production values...other then that though...meh for the most part.

Terrible narrative flow slogged down midway with some political/economics lessons that made me feel like falling asleep. The character designs are also incredibly hit or miss...just...wow...

Give it another 2 or 3 episodes, but this is the first show so far this season that made me think of dropping it immediately.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-07, 21:07   Link #269
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

how did kuniko ends up in the detention center in the first place?

so shocked on the transexuals
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-08, 05:50   Link #270
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

My big problem with this anime after the first episode is that the storytelling is woeful. I had no idea who these people were, what they were fighting for, what era this was set in, what the political/environmental climate was like, until I came into this thread. These are key things which should be established very early. Instead I was just left scratching my head, baffled by what I was watching.

I'm kinda torn on the political set up, since, on the one hand, it's got balls for handling such a topical issue, but on the other, I'm not sure they're going about it the right way, and it'll take a really deft hand on the director's part to pull it off. They make a reasonable enough point though: big government, burgeoning on totalitarianism is a very likely consequence of a climate change cataclysm. There's an important take-home lesson in that: if we don't want that in the future, we should pull our fingers out in the present...
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-08, 06:58   Link #271
Snooker
Call me neet.

I am truly minority if I said I like this this show.Supreme production,original story and I love ''these dudes''.
Snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-08, 07:01   Link #272
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
so shocked on the transexuals
What's there to be shocked about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
My big problem with this anime after the first episode is that the storytelling is woeful. I had no idea who these people were, what they were fighting for, what era this was set in, what the political/environmental climate was like, until I came into this thread. These are key things which should be established very early. Instead I was just left scratching my head, baffled by what I was watching.
Meh, i don't think every show needs to establish all of that in the first episode. Would feel far to rushed with no freedom to show us the world they live in. The way i see it, the first episode was a nice introduction into the characters and state of the world it's in at the moment. Everything else we need to know will come soon after.
Old 2009-04-08, 12:44   Link #273
einhorn303

In regards to the first episode's exposition, I think this quote by Neal Stephenson (from an interview) is relevant:

"People who do read science fiction and fantasy have developed a skill set that other people don't necessarily have. They can pick up a book and begin reading it, and it will have all of these words that they have not seen before and names that they are not familiar with, and it's set in a world whose geography they don't know and whose customs they don't know--and it can be a bit hard to follow at first, but those kinds of people know that if they just keep reading and are patient, over time all of that will be explained, and they will be able to piece it together in their heads. And doing that is actually part of the pleasure of reading such a book for a fantasy or science fiction fan.

People who don't habitually read fantasy and science fiction, I think when they encounter a book that's got all these unfamiliar elements, they find it a bit off-putting. I noticed very early when people were reading early drafts of this book that the ones who were habitual science fiction and fantasy readers blew through it with no trouble, and the ones who weren't frequently said, "I would like a glossary. I'd like a timeline. I'd like a map. I'd like more explanation of the background of this world."
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-08, 14:15   Link #274
Anomandaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post
In regards to the first episode's exposition, I think this quote by Neal Stephenson (from an interview) is relevant:

"People who do read science fiction and fantasy have developed a skill set that other people don't necessarily have. They can pick up a book and begin reading it, and it will have all of these words that they have not seen before and names that they are not familiar with, and it's set in a world whose geography they don't know and whose customs they don't know--and it can be a bit hard to follow at first, but those kinds of people know that if they just keep reading and are patient, over time all of that will be explained, and they will be able to piece it together in their heads. And doing that is actually part of the pleasure of reading such a book for a fantasy or science fiction fan.

People who don't habitually read fantasy and science fiction, I think when they encounter a book that's got all these unfamiliar elements, they find it a bit off-putting. I noticed very early when people were reading early drafts of this book that the ones who were habitual science fiction and fantasy readers blew through it with no trouble, and the ones who weren't frequently said, "I would like a glossary. I'd like a timeline. I'd like a map. I'd like more explanation of the background of this world."
Hmm this is so true ... I'm a big Science Fiction/Fantasy fan and I didn't find the episode too confusing at all. Picking up bits of information throughout the episode and piecing together the world in my head was really part of the fun.

What Episode 1 hints at interests me, but I'm also wary because an over-ambitious series risks leaving too much unexplained, which is a real letdown.
Anomandaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-08, 14:52   Link #275
DangerMouse

Quote:
Good quote.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomandaris View Post
Hmm this is so true ... I'm a big Science Fiction/Fantasy fan and I didn't find the episode too confusing at all. Picking up bits of information throughout the episode and piecing together the world in my head was really part of the fun.

What Episode 1 hints at interests me, but I'm also wary because an over-ambitious series risks leaving too much unexplained, which is a real letdown.
Yeah, I too happen to be really big on science fiction.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2009-04-08 at 15:40.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-08, 22:33   Link #276
Doughnuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsza View Post
does someone have lyrics

of the OP / ED?
My hearing is a bit shit, can't get half of the ED.

Spoiler for OP?:

Last edited by Doughnuts; 2009-04-08 at 22:51.
Doughnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-08, 22:53   Link #277
Jiyuu

Send a message via MSN to Jiyuu
Quote:

thats the thing, i'm not really sure it goes like that,
and by that i mean that it may just be that people who read sci-fi etc think in a way which makes it easyer to piece up the info, and thus they enjoy sci-fi and read lots of it. while there are people which find it difficult and thus they avoid reading sci-fi.
not saying that this is 100% true but a have known plenty of people that read some scifi and even after a couple of books when i'd give them a new one they would start being like "why is this that way, what caused those and what happened first". i suppose reading lots of scifi will probably improve this skill. but i think this is not just a exp thing, and may go a bit further than that..(i still remember the first scifi book that i read and i never asked such quastions. for some reason it just made sense to me that the info will be revealed later)
Jiyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-08, 23:12   Link #278
Hedd
Random Object

I don't see it being as science fiction and the first ep makes it out to seem. I think the carbon credits was a necessary evil to set the premise for what's going to come in the future. I feel they probably won't elaborate on it too much in the future beyond what they already have. Good or bad, Gonzo has never been one for cerebral anime.

I personally like it though. It gives me a good vibe and I'm liking the aerobatics. I think this will be at the top of my watchlist this season.
Old 2009-04-09, 05:06   Link #279
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedd View Post
I don't see it being as science fiction and the first ep makes it out to seem. I think the carbon credits was a necessary evil to set the premise for what's going to come in the future. I feel they probably won't elaborate on it too much in the future beyond what they already have. Good or bad, Gonzo has never been one for cerebral anime.
Yeah, we're probably not talking about something like Gasaraki, where the politics plays a major role in the story. I'm kinda hoping it's not the case, but it's totally plausible that the political set up will be little more than that: a set up.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-09, 06:29   Link #280
Fevvers
a regular van veen

The first episode was, weeeell, pretty mediocre. I didn't even set my expectations that high and yet everything about this just screamed trying too hard - from the narrative, characterization and the action sequence, which while competently animated was ruined with all the unnecessary talks in-between. Murata's character designs look off to me as well (which is one of the main reasons why I even tried this out in the first place). I'll give it two episodes more I suppose, but I really doubt this would be my kind of show.
Fevvers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gonzo, science fiction